Author Topic: REVIEWS: The Conduit  (Read 24216 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
REVIEWS: The Conduit
« on: June 29, 2009, 10:16:35 PM »
High Voltage gives us a solid first-person shooter that shows off everything the Wii has to offer.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/reviewArt.cfm?artid=18956

At this point in the Wii's lifespan, it's safe to say that the first-person shooter genre has been a neglected one.  We've seen a handful of third-party releases in pre-existing franchises like Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, and Far Cry, but aside from Red Steel in 2006 and the recently-released Onslaught, completely original shooters have been virtually non-existent on the platform.  Sega and High Voltage have stepped up to fill this gap with The Conduit, a Wii-exclusive first-person shooter recounting the battle to fend off an alien invasion of Washington, D.C.  While not without its flaws, The Conduit is an impressively robust package that sets a new bar for the genre on Nintendo's console.    

The Conduit places you in the role of Michael Ford, an agent for a mysterious organization called the Trust.  Recruited by Trust commander John Adams, Ford is sent into Washington D.C. to recover an agency-developed prototype called the All-Seeing Eye (A.S.E.) from a terrorist known only as Prometheus.  Meanwhile, the city is in a state of chaos, caught in the grips of an alien invasion while suffering from the spread of a flu-like affliction that turns humans into alien puppets.  Ford sets out to recover the A.S.E., unwittingly pulled into an ever-growing conspiracy.    

And thus we come to the most glaring flaw of The Conduit: to call its story, setting, and characters clichéd is being kind.  The government/alien conspiracy angle has been done to death, and it isn't taken anywhere new here.  Enemy and weapon designs are highly reminiscent of Halo 3, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, and Resistance 2, and the side-story broadcast by radios scattered throughout each level is straight out of Resistance 2 as well.  The first-person shooter genre has never been one known for its originality, but seldom do you come across a game so wholly derivative of others on the market.    

Fortunately, these retreaded elements are wrapped in a completely new - and excellent - graphics engine built from scratch for the Wii hardware.  Environments are varied, expansive, and detailed throughout the game's nine single-player levels.  You'll battle through underground bunkers and subways, a meticulously-recreated Jefferson Memorial, the offices of the Pentagon, and even the White House itself.  While some textures are recycled a bit too much, the look and feel of each level is different right to the end.  There are occasional frame rate drops in larger rooms, but gameplay is never affected and the experience is a smooth one overall.    

The Conduit's audio is generally good.  Featuring voice acting by Kevin Sorbo and Mark Sheppard, High Voltage certainly spared no expense in telling the game's story.  While the voice acting could be better (Sorbo and Sheppard have a fairly wooden delivery and some of the dialogue is downright cheesy), it's nice to see such attention to detail in terms of presentation.  The musical score varies in quality, ranging from the excellent theme to forgettable background tunes, and sound effects are your typical alien screams and explosions.    

These technical achievements would mean little if there wasn't a solid game to back them up, and The Conduit delivers for the most part.  There's a substantial single-player campaign (about 8 to 12 hours in length) complemented by dozens of achievements, as well as unlockable art and cheats.  There are several different difficulty levels as well, giving dedicated players plenty of reasons to keep playing, and of course its extensive online multiplayer component.    

The Conduit's control scheme is very similar to Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, with forward and lateral movement handled by the Nunchuk joystick and the Wii Remote acting as a mouselook and B-trigger.  The bounding box concept is employed, meaning that moving the Wii pointer outside of an invisible box in the middle of the screen causes the player's character to turn in that direction.  Some of the default Wiimote button mappings are difficult to reach (the spin and grenade selection commands, for example), but everything is customizable, so if you don't like the default layout you can switch up the controls however you want.    

The motion controls are excellent, allowing you to turn quickly and zero in on targets accurately;  aiming takes skill and a steady hand.  The most unexpectedly impressive aspect, however, is throwing grenades with the Nunchuk.   A thrust of the Nunchuk tosses a grenade, but how softly or hard this is done is accurately reflected by how far it's thrown.  There's nothing more satisfying than dropping a grenade right in the middle of three enemies, exactly where you intended.    

The Conduit is a brisk run'n'gun experience in the classic mold, pitting you against waves of enemies intended to prevent you from completing objectives and advancing the storyline.  In addition to blasting baddies, players use the A.S.E. to hack into computers, decipher hidden messages on walls, and even uncloak invisible aliens.  Like the scan visor mechanic in Metroid Prime, the A.S.E. is fun to use and gives players incentive to explore their surroundings.  If you enjoy first-person shooters, you'll definitely find a lot to like here.    

However, fans of the genre will also find a host of minor annoyances.  There is no on-screen grenade indicator (like in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare), meaning that you'll run towards grenades as often as you run away from them because you aren't sure where they are.  Objectives aren't always clear either, forcing you to pause the game and check your list to determine what to do next.  You sometimes aren't explicitly told if your goal is to clear out enemies or their spawn points instead, so you may waste time unwittingly killing an endless stream of enemies.    

Checkpoints are also problematic.  Since checkpoints are the only way to save the messages you've deciphered with your A.S.E., dying means you have to decipher them all over again to get credit.  Checkpoints also take an exact snapshot of what you're doing when you pass through, so if you're facing a wall with the A.S.E. equipped instead of a gun you'll start that way every time thereafter.  These sound like nitpicks, but over the course of the game they become increasingly frustrating.    

Level design is good for the most part, but there are irritations here as well.  Later levels don't increase difficulty in any way other than throwing more enemies at you, and the general lack of enemy variety doesn't help.  While none of these issues are game-breakers by themselves, as a whole they make the single-player campaign feel less polished than it should.    

For all of the flaws of the single-player campaign, The Conduit's online multiplayer component is excellent.  The lack of local multiplayer is disappointing, but there's still plenty to do.  Players can challenge up to twelve friends or regional/worldwide opponents in solo deathmatch, team deathmatch, or team objective play.  There are seven different maps, several different weapon sets (Alien, Human, Explosive, etc.), and many different game types to choose from.  Among the best are A.S.E. Football (a variation of "Hot Potato" with each player competing to see who can carry the A.S.E. the longest), Bounty Hunter (one person is the target, and players lose points for killing anybody other than that person), and the classic Marathon (kill as many players as possible within a time limit).  Throw in an online ranking system and full stat-tracking, and you have a multiplayer game that you'll be playing for a long time.  Performance is also relatively lag-free, with some hitches when playing worldwide matches but nothing too distracting.    

What makes The Conduit's online component so impressive is its robustness.  Multiplayer is WiiSpeak-enabled (for friends only), allowing players to chat with others in the lobby and during gameplay.  The quality isn't always the greatest: you'll get echoes depending on the speaker setups of other players, and voice chat sometimes cuts in and out, but it adds so much to the experience that it simply doesn't matter. There's nothing better than talking smack after an especially satisfying kill.  Friend code management is also a breeze, including functionality that allows you to add mutual friends and send invites that others can accept later.  It's as fleshed-out as anything you'd find on the Xbox 360 or PS3, and can only be described as a remarkable achievement.    

This is the paradox of The Conduit.  Its disappointing single-player component seems hastily-designed with its cookie-cutter plot, limited range of enemies, and myriad elements copied wholesale from popular recent first-person shooters.  On the other hand, its multiplayer component is great, matching online shooters on other platforms feature-for-feature and providing a no-hassle experience that's among the best on Wii.  Hopefully High Voltage will learn from The Conduit's shortcomings for their next game, but for now, Wii owners will have to settle for something very good instead of truly great.

Pros:

• Quality graphics
  •  
  • Extensive voiceover work
  •  
  • Customizable control scheme is very effective
  •  
  • Multiplayer is deep, robust, and very fun
  •  
  • WiiSpeak support is a much-appreciated addition

•        Cons:

• Story, setting, and characters are derivative and unoriginal
  •  
  • Objectives aren't always made clear
  •  
  • Lack of a grenade indicator results in cheap deaths
  •  
  • Unlockables only saved at checkpoints
  •  
  • Enemies lack variety

•                Graphics:  8.5
           High Voltage definitely pushes the Wii hardware, producing some pretty large and detailed environments with nice lighting effects.  There are some frame rate drops in larger rooms, and certain textures are re-used a bit too much, but it's very good overall.

Sound:  8.0
           Impressive voiceover work suffers somewhat from wooden delivery and cheesy dialogue.   There's some good music, but the sound effects aren't particularly notable.

Control:  9.0
           The Conduit's motion controls works like a charm, and throwing grenades is surprisingly satisfying.  Some of the default button mappings aren't effective, but the ability to customize everything minimizes this issue.

Gameplay:  8.0
           The Conduit is a fairly vanilla run'n'gun first-person shooter that's very reminiscent of Perfect Dark.  It's a lot of fun, but its single-player suffers from a slew of minor design oversights that drag down the overall experience.

Lastability:  9.0
           The single-player campaign features multiple difficulty levels, dozens of achievements, and lots of secrets to find.  The online multiplayer mode is deep and will have you playing for months.  This is a great value.

Final:  8.5
           The Conduit sets a high bar for future first-person shooters on the Wii.  Its derivative story and single-player mode disappoint, but its online multiplayer is excellent.  As jam-packed with features as this is, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better first-person shooter on the system.      

Jon Lindemann
    Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • Score: 70
      • View Profile
    Re: REVIEWS: The Conduit
    « Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 10:01:52 PM »
    Well written, Lindy! I think you covered all of the games aspects very well. I look foreward to talking smack with you again in the near future ;)
    My Game Collection
    NNID: Chronocast
    Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
    3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
    XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
    • Score: 5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 10:05:45 PM »
    Good review, I agree with everything you said. Its a review that the game deserves. I think with a little work we can improve the echo of Wii Speak. Everyone should just put the Wii Speak right near you and it pretty much solves every problem. Also headphones help a great deal. I can't wait to talk smack to Lindy once my Wii Speak comes!
    ~David~
    3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
    Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • Score: 28
      • View Profile
      • Six Sided Video
    « Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 10:11:09 PM »
    Does Call of Duty get penalized for its limited range of enemies?
    :: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
    PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
    • NWR Staff Pro
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 10:16:13 PM »
    Does Call of Duty get penalized for its limited range of enemies?

If I had reviewed it, it would have.
    Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • Score: 28
      • View Profile
      • Six Sided Video
    « Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 10:18:01 PM »
    Right on.
    :: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
    PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 10:21:31 PM »
     great review. It's fair and balanced writing that doesn't forget the positive and mentions the negative evenly.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
    • Score: -1011
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 10:22:25 PM »
    There may not be any LAN-based multiplayer or anything, but is there any way for you to enter multiplayer with computer AI "bots" or whatnot for simple offline multiplayer?  I'd hate for there to be an entire section of the game essentially useless to me because I hate playing online multiplayer (I haven't had the best of experiences there).

As for the single-player, how would you compare it against something like Perfect Dark's (which I rather enjoyed back in the day) or even one of the Timesplitters games?  While none of those could be accused of being altogether original, they all had a nice variety in objectives you had to accomplish so it was still quite enjoyable.
    « Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 10:24:42 PM by broodwars »
    There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
    • Score: 141
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 10:27:20 PM »
    Thanks for the robust review. So it's a great online multiplayer game with a story mode thrown in?
    "I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Stele

• Score: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 10:30:51 PM »
    Odd. You praise the nunchuck grenade launching.  After nearly killing myself 2-3 times I switched controls to get rid of it.  :o

Definitely annoyed with the checkpoints.  I cleared out a room with 3 switches, each triggering an ambush.  Finally get out of the room, down the hall through several doors.  And then there's another room with an ASE key, and 3 conduits full of enemies... with no checkpoint between.  ???

Anyway I was on vacation last week so just picked up my copy this morning.  Looks like I might finish single player tonight, although I only got maybe 2/3 of the discs and like 1/5 of the secret messages.  So definitely some completion-ist replay there.

It definitely looks and controls great though.  Very reminiscent of MP3 in that respect.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • Score: 125
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 10:40:54 PM »
    A game which has touted its graphics as a major aspect and has even gone so far as to sacrifice features for them doesn't get the highest marks in the graphics department? That's kind of disconcerting...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 10:45:53 PM »
    It's probably because of the graphical glitches present from time to time.

I like the nunchuck grenade control. Though on occasion I will scratch my head while playing and accidentally throw a grenade.
    My Game Collection

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
    • NWR Staff Pro
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 10:55:05 PM »
    Broodwars - There aren't any bots.  It's strictly online multiplayer.

As I recall, Perfect Dark and Timesplitters definitely have better single-player.  It comes down to one word: personality.  The Conduit's story and characters are so generic that it's hard to care about the story at all.  And I won't get into any spoilers, but I will say that the story's conclusion is less than satisfying.  Perfect Dark and TimeSplitters weren't that original, but they had interesting and witty characters and stories that you could care about a little bit.

Stele - I loved the Nunchuk grenade throwing because it feels like what you're doing with the motion controls actually matters.  It's great.  I'm with you on the checkpoints though.  There's a checkpoint later in the game that has you do something really hard and then duck into an elevator that's packed with enemies, but the checkpoint only triggers AFTER you get in the elevator.  Which means that you can sit there for 10 minutes and complete your difficult task, but still lose all of your progress if you get killed by the guys in the elevator.  SO annoying.

Mop - Yes, there are definitely some minor graphical glitches, and some of the environments re-use elements quite a bit.  The engine isn't as polished as, say Mario Galaxy, which I consider to be the pinnacle on the platform, but it's still very good.
    Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • Score: 125
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 11:00:50 PM »
    Mop - Yes, there are definitely some minor graphical glitches, and some of the environments re-use elements quite a bit.  The engine isn't as polished as, say Mario Galaxy, which I consider to be the pinnacle on the platform, but it's still very good.
    That's kind of my point though. Super Mario Galaxy didn't advertise its graphics as one of its features, nor was it a main focus in development. This game's developer has touted the graphics since the beginning, even going so far as comparing it to the XBox 360 I believe and also sacrificing features, and it isn't even the best the system could handle? Eek.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 11:01:31 PM »
    Broodwars - There aren't any bots.  It's strictly online multiplayer.

As I recall, Perfect Dark and Timesplitters definitely have better single-player.  It comes down to one word: personality.  The Conduit's story and characters are so generic that it's hard to care about the story at all.  And I won't get into any spoilers, but I will say that the story's conclusion is less than satisfying.  Perfect Dark and TimeSplitters weren't that original, but they had interesting and witty characters and stories that you could care about a little bit.

Well, guess my Conduit money's going towards paying off the rest of my B:AA CE fund then.  This game does look very good, but if the single-player campaign really isn't all that great and that's all I'm interested in there's really no reason to get this game now.  I'm better off just waiting for a price drop.  Sorry, High-Voltage, but you'll have to put a bit more work into all the aspects of your games.  I'll never understand why it's apparently taboo for an FPS to have an awesome multiplayer and singleplayer.  It's always one or the other.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
    • NWR Staff Pro
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 11:53:01 PM »
    I think it has to do with the fact that any company attempting a first-person shooter is typically tech-heavy (staff-wise) vs. design-heavy.  Since so much of what makes FPSes great is based on their level of technological prowess, it makes budgetary sense to funnel money into the tech side more than the design/story side.  Note that I said *financial* sense.

One of the reasons why I hold CoD4 as the best shooter of this generation is its story.  It's probably the only top-tier first-person shooter I've played that had moments in the single-player that were put in STRICTLY for dramatic effect.  I mean, who would have ever expected that your character would die halfway through the game as a result of a nuclear strike, and that you would actually be able to crawl around on the ground in first-person as he died from radiation exposure?  When I played that for the first time I didn't know what the hell was going on, but then when it was over I realized what they did and was like OH...****!!!
    Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 11:59:55 PM »
    Broodwars, would you consider renting it just to see if the online is alright for you? Or is it not technical issues that you are referring to when you say you've had poor online experiences. It would be a shame for you to miss out on it if that were the case.

My Game Collection

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
    • NWR Staff
    • Score: 37
      • View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 12:05:19 AM »
    The online is really fun when playing with friends. I haven't tried random matching yet.
    THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 12:06:52 AM »
    The online is really fun when playing with friends. I haven't tried random matching yet.

Random matching feels like planning to go to the park. Sometimes the weather just isn't going to fit in with your plans.
    My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 12:19:44 AM »
    Broodwars, would you consider renting it just to see if the online is alright for you? Or is it not technical issues that you are referring to when you say you've had poor online experiences. It would be a shame for you to miss out on it if that were the case.

Hmm..maybe.  My problems with online multiplayer have been partly technical, partly design, partly user-based.  I've just never found a game I found particularly compelling online compared to its offline counterpart, and it's always been a rather soul-less experience without that person you're playing with there right with you.  And when I have gotten an online match going, I've often found people online to be (for lack of the ability to use a banned word) jerks.  I suppose voice chat could rectify that a bit (dramatically in some cases, like with the Uncharted 2 Multiplayer Beta I played earlier this month), but I'm not buying Wii-Speak for a single game.
    « Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 12:22:48 AM by broodwars »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 12:33:06 AM »
    I was a lot like you in that opinion. But I've found playing with friends and people here especially changed my attitude about it. I almost never played games online before I joined the forums here in January and I was sorely dissapointed in Brawl since I had no one to play with and also hated Mario Kart Wii. But playing games with people here, people I know, changed that. A lot.

So maybe give it a try. You can hear even fruends even if you don't have WiiSpeak and Kraken so far has gotten by without it.

If you decide you want to keep it, your save file keeps your FC so buying it later wouldn't be much of an issue there.

And if you find it compelling enough to want WiiSpeak, I think GameStop sells it for $15 used. You might also find another good deal online. The Animal Crossing bundle is going for less that the WiiSeak device alone in some places. So if all else failed, you could buy AC for $25 and sell off the game for $30-$40 brand new. And if you're feeling crafty, you could open it and enter the Club Nintendo points and then sell it off for a good price.

Just some thoughts. Plus I'd love a chance to play you at the game. It's kind of a goal to play with everyone on the forums. :)
    My Game Collection

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
    • NWR Staff
    • Score: 37
      • View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 12:35:09 AM »
    ...it's always been a rather soul-less experience without that person you're playing with there right with you.

So you'd rather play with bots?  ;-)
    THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 01:06:16 AM »
    ...it's always been a rather soul-less experience without that person you're playing with there right with you.

So you'd rather play with bots?  ;-)

At least with bots I can enjoy some aspect of multiplayer without my best friend buying a Wii, a copy of The Conduit as well, and both of us scheduling simultaneous play sessions between the mounds of other stuff we're both playing on our own time.  Besides, AI bots done well ala Perfect Dark (i.e. with AI personalities) can make for quite enjoyable experiences.  They'll never match the quality of a true human being, but they have their uses.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
    • Score: 9
      • View Profile
      • Pietriots
    « Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 01:14:02 AM »
    LOL! Derivative characters. I have a friend named Michael Ford. I'm going to call him derivative.
    Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
    • NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: 10
      • View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 01:58:44 AM »
    Thanks for the top-notch review, Lindy!
    ::Michael "TYP" Cole
    ::Associate Editor