Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 411967 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #450 on: November 13, 2012, 06:42:46 PM »
What's with the orange bird? Is that a game?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #451 on: November 13, 2012, 06:45:13 PM »
What's with the orange bird? Is that a game?

It's from the eShop game Chasing Aurora, which makes sense as the post says it's from a preview for the game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 13, 2012, 11:54:05 PM »

Hah! Yes, Nintendo's complete reliance on nostalgia in pretty much every single one of their franchises certainly isn't "exploiting psychology" at all!  :P: : : : : : : ;) 

What I think Kairon's trying to get across is Nintendo does not rely on negative aspects of the human mind.

I think nostalgia is a pretty negative aspect of the human mind, IMO. You're remembering and sanctifying things as better than they actually were, choosing to live in the past instead of looking forward to the future.

This argument about achievements could go back and forth forever. I've put forth my own clear cut opinion on achievements, so why don't you broodwars.

You said you like collecting them. What do you like about making that number bigger and bigger?
(is this also a phychological problem?)

Is there anything else that you like about the achievement systems?

For all the things you like do you think it can be implemented a different way?

Suffice it to say that when I start a game, I consider Achievements/Trophies to be a personal challenge to me from the developers. Sometimes I accept it, and sometimes I don't depending on the time investment and my skill with a particular genre. Overall they contribute to a satisfying secondary feedback loop where the game acknowledges my actions onscreen outside of the scope of the in-game systems.  I perform something skill-full, and the game essentially stops for a moment to praise my actions before moving on.

Especially when it comes to earning a title's Platinum trophies, I find the hunt a rewarding way to fully learn and appreciate a game's mechanics. As I demonstrate my understanding of a game's systems, the game acknowledges me for it.  And when I obtain a game's Platinum, I have proven my mastery of those mechanics.  For me, the hunt is satisfying and expands my knowledge and skill of a particular title perhaps further than I would pursue otherwise.  It's also fun to look at my friends' trophy cards online and see what they've been playing and how far they've gotten.

Really, the only big thing I would add to the existing system is an in-game rewards system as well, such as I've seen in titles like the two Final Fantasy XIII games (trophies unlocked PS3 XMB themes) and Xenoblade.

I can fully understand if people don't care for achievement-hunting. It's not for everyone, and it certainly helps that I'm rather completion-ist by nature.  Much like everything else in life, I really don't care how you enjoy your games so long as you're not negatively impacting my experience.  If it brings you enjoyment, good for you.

But I find it striking that on every platform that does support achievement systems, people tend to be pretty accepting of the whole thing and its culture regardless of their interest in it. It only seems to be a segment of Nintendo fans, the ones who don't have an Achievement system, who seem so hell-bent to force on other people the "right way" to enjoy their games.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 11:58:27 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 14, 2012, 12:04:29 AM »

Hah! Yes, Nintendo's complete reliance on nostalgia in pretty much every single one of their franchises certainly isn't "exploiting psychology" at all!  :P: : : : : : : : : ;) 

What I think Kairon's trying to get across is Nintendo does not rely on negative aspects of the human mind.

I think nostalgia is a pretty negative aspect of the human mind, IMO. You're remembering and sanctifying things as better than they actually were, choosing to live in the past instead of looking forward to the future.

Just to clarify, I said in this case. Nintendo has their bag of tricks, just like everybody else. But I do feel that they have a somewhat consistent theme about where they draw the lines they choose not to cross. No Paid DLC in Animal Crossing New Leaf is one of them. NOT mandating Achievements in every single game is also one of them. However, they will gleefully cross that nostalgia line multiple times over, and also ask consumers to pay full-price for up-ports of classic games (see: Famicom Classics line on GBA).

I used to think that was a good mock-up, but now that I realize that the Miis are supposed to live and interact in the Wara Wara Plaza, this combination channel+Mii in one screen mockup makes absolutely no sense within the two-screen paradigm of the Wii U. A lot of old mockups make no sense actually, the Wii U has some unique properties we're not used to taking into account.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 14, 2012, 04:00:42 AM »
@broodwars So you like being told you've done something special for a second time. Pretty much everything you like about achievements can be done without being system wide. If developers don't think its necessary then I don't see why they should include them. Isn't it likely that the games with the most pointless achievements are the ones where the devs thought it was unnecessary.

I don't hate achievements, I liked how it was done in Smash Bros and Kid Icarus. I just loathe Microsoft's implementation.

It only seems to be a segment of Nintendo fans, the ones who don't have an Achievement system, who seem so hell-bent to force on other people the "right way" to enjoy their games.

Are you saying because Nintendo-only players don't have achievements they think nobody should have them. Quite a generalization, where have you seen this? After the news about the Wii U not having achivements came out I've seen people voicing their opinion on the matter, usually to the tune of "I never really cared for them". What I have not seen are many people saying "I hope the Wii U doesn't have achievements" before the news came out.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:03:59 AM by MrPhishfood »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 14, 2012, 04:22:36 AM »

I used to think that was a good mock-up, but now that I realize that the Miis are supposed to live and interact in the Wara Wara Plaza, this combination channel+Mii in one screen mockup makes absolutely no sense within the two-screen paradigm of the Wii U. A lot of old mockups make no sense actually, the Wii U has some unique properties we're not used to taking into account.

It actually makes a lot of sense if you are not using your TV in tandem with the Gamepad, which could happen in the instance of someone else using the TV.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #456 on: November 15, 2012, 02:27:12 PM »
Another feature of the Wii U, discovered by IGN, is that the system automatically turns off after about an hour with no controller input (including while pausing a game). PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 have this, but they have to be turned on. This feature appears to be on by default with Wii U. Not a big deal to me since I don't just leave my system alone for over an hour though.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/09/wii-us-scary-automatic-shutoff-feature
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 15, 2012, 02:52:11 PM »
Another feature of the Wii U, discovered by IGN, is that the system automatically turns off after about an hour with no controller input (including while pausing a game). PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 have this, but they have to be turned on. This feature appears to be on by default with Wii U. Not a big deal to me since I don't just leave my system alone for over an hour though.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/09/wii-us-scary-automatic-shutoff-feature

This is actually a very good thing for me. My wife constantly watches Netflix and doesn't seem to understand when the Wii is turned off. I wake up in the morning and see that little green light hoping the thing didn't burn it's self out.

I've also had toddlers go after the Wii and thne grab it without me realizing they have turned it on. So this will actually be a useful feature for me. I can recall maybe once where I had to pause the game and leave it for more than an hour at a time. 20 minutes is too much for me, I just couldn't have the thing idle for so long. I suppose if you play games for a living and your lunch break is approaching you pause it in those odd areas that are hard to save at. Can't imagine that happening in most house holds, but I could be in the minority.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 15, 2012, 03:01:22 PM »
This is actually a very good thing for me. My wife constantly watches Netflix and doesn't seem to understand when the Wii is turned off. I wake up in the morning and see that little green light hoping the thing didn't burn it's self out.
Seems Nintendo put a lot more thought in to this than I would have. Being a single guy with my own entertainment setup having a feature like that is pretty much useless.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 15, 2012, 03:14:42 PM »
I actually get pulled off for more than an hour all the time in the middle of the something.  As long as it just goes into hibernation and save your state.  I'll probably turn it off.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 15, 2012, 03:40:14 PM »
UncleBob sent me a picture of the Wii U Deluxe. They are now in store at Wal-Mart. Don't wait line, it's robbery time!

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 15, 2012, 07:43:02 PM »
UncleBob sent me a picture of the Wii U Deluxe. They are now in store at Wal-Mart. Don't wait line, it's robbery time!

lets round up a posse!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 15, 2012, 10:23:04 PM »

lets round up a posse!

Did I hear someone say POSSE!?

Time to mount up boys!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 15, 2012, 10:28:58 PM »
Is it racist to think you should've ended it with a Blazing Saddles joke?
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #464 on: November 15, 2012, 10:46:05 PM »
Gentlemen, you are risking your lives... and I am risking a sure Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: November 15, 2012, 10:55:24 PM »
It CAN be done Shaymin, we just need an elaborate plan and everyone to be a team player. Can we count on you? Cuz if you're not with us, you're.. *takes safety off gun* against us.. *cold stare*

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 15, 2012, 10:57:30 PM »
"But BNM.... they said you was hung!?"

"and they was right" ;)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 16, 2012, 03:06:00 AM »
WHERE ALL THE WHITE WOMEN AT

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #468 on: November 16, 2012, 07:41:47 AM »
Never mind that ****, HERE COMES MONGO!!

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 16, 2012, 09:17:37 AM »
Wii U GamePad Details revealed
liquid fast proprietary wifi; 26ft range is conservative (could be 4x that... and possibly longer)
http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/16/3653294/wii-u-range-test-gamepad

The technology, co-developed by Nintendo and wireless and broadband communication giant Broadcom, marries run-of-the-mill WiFi with a power bit of proprietary software to create a two-way stream of low-latency, high-definition video and controls between the WIi U and its innovative GamePad.
[...]
The technology is built on top of something called WiFi Miracast, which Broadcom first developed last summer. It's a system that is specifically designed to deal with interference issues while maintaining liquid fast two-way communication.

Broadcom and Nintendo then teamed up to create a more solid system for the Wii U to GamePad connection.
While the official specs for the Wii U's GamePad say that it will operate properly at a distance between 8 inches and a bit more than 26 feet from the console, Polygon found that we could get quite a bit more out of the connection. And set-ups in rural location could close to quadruple that distance.

Pawling, a town of 8,400 nestled in upstate New York's Harlem Valley, is a haven free of many interfering radio frequencies. Residents of the town struggle to get cell phone service and FM or AM radio broadcasts. The small population also means there's not a very high density of radio frequencies in the area.

That's bad for making cell phone calls, but great for extending the usefulness of the Wii U's GamePad.

In Pawling, we found that you could use the GamePad well outside the 26-foot recommended range of the device.

It worked in adjoining bedrooms, bathrooms, outside, in an office, up stairs, at a distant kitchen table and even in the boiler room amidst furnaces and massive oil drums.

Placed outside, we were able to play New Super Mario Bros. U on the GamePad's screen while nearly twice the recommended range from the television.
[...]
Tests in the lab were able to maintain connections between the Wii U and the GamePad at more than 100 feet, he said.

So why does Nintendo say it only reaches 26 feet?
[...]
So Nintendo created a range that their studies showed would reflect the experience of "99.9 percent of all users," he said. "We've done many multiples of (Nintendo's suggested range), but Nintendo's perspective is that they want to guarantee a flawless user experience."

And it's possible that even that longer range could be extended.

While Bekis was clear that Nintendo hasn't talked about the idea of using repeaters or range extenders with the Wii U and GamePad, he did say that the technology supports their use.
more & video @ the link
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:22:27 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 16, 2012, 01:19:28 PM »
Wii U GamePad Details revealed
liquid fast proprietary wifi; 26ft range is conservative (could be 4x that... and possibly longer)
http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/16/3653294/wii-u-range-test-gamepad

The technology, co-developed by Nintendo and wireless and broadband communication giant Broadcom, marries run-of-the-mill WiFi with a power bit of proprietary software to create a two-way stream of low-latency, high-definition video and controls between the WIi U and its innovative GamePad.
[...]
The technology is built on top of something called WiFi Miracast, which Broadcom first developed last summer. It's a system that is specifically designed to deal with interference issues while maintaining liquid fast two-way communication.

Broadcom and Nintendo then teamed up to create a more solid system for the Wii U to GamePad connection.
While the official specs for the Wii U's GamePad say that it will operate properly at a distance between 8 inches and a bit more than 26 feet from the console, Polygon found that we could get quite a bit more out of the connection. And set-ups in rural location could close to quadruple that distance.

Pawling, a town of 8,400 nestled in upstate New York's Harlem Valley, is a haven free of many interfering radio frequencies. Residents of the town struggle to get cell phone service and FM or AM radio broadcasts. The small population also means there's not a very high density of radio frequencies in the area.

That's bad for making cell phone calls, but great for extending the usefulness of the Wii U's GamePad.

In Pawling, we found that you could use the GamePad well outside the 26-foot recommended range of the device.

It worked in adjoining bedrooms, bathrooms, outside, in an office, up stairs, at a distant kitchen table and even in the boiler room amidst furnaces and massive oil drums.

Placed outside, we were able to play New Super Mario Bros. U on the GamePad's screen while nearly twice the recommended range from the television.
[...]
Tests in the lab were able to maintain connections between the Wii U and the GamePad at more than 100 feet, he said.

So why does Nintendo say it only reaches 26 feet?
[...]
So Nintendo created a range that their studies showed would reflect the experience of "99.9 percent of all users," he said. "We've done many multiples of (Nintendo's suggested range), but Nintendo's perspective is that they want to guarantee a flawless user experience."

And it's possible that even that longer range could be extended.

While Bekis was clear that Nintendo hasn't talked about the idea of using repeaters or range extenders with the Wii U and GamePad, he did say that the technology supports their use.
more & video @ the link

Thanks for all the info BnM, I'm currently majoring in networking and network security so hearing about these new wireless technologies is fascinating to me.  I love the part of using repeaters and extenders.  I never thought of that and that'll really go a long way to extending their range.  I would love it if Nintendo were to release a repeater that I could place near the bathroom and/or bedroom if the Gamepad doesn't get that far in my house. 

Oh, and I would've loved to see that posse picture photoshoped with your avatar faces lol.  Thats something Neogaf is always good for, I always find them hilarious lol. 

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 16, 2012, 07:48:16 PM »
Oh, and I would've loved to see that posse picture photoshoped with your avatar faces lol.  Thats something Neogaf is always good for, I always find them hilarious lol. 

NWR no longer likes FUN it seems, so you've come to the wrooong place my friend. Get yourself a time Machine and meet us back in 2005, you'd have a ball..

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 16, 2012, 08:03:59 PM »
I blame insanolord.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 16, 2012, 08:12:31 PM »

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 17, 2012, 02:45:59 AM »
You're both banned.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent