Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 410663 times)

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #275 on: September 26, 2012, 02:56:21 PM »
Is there any definitive list of Wii U launch or near launch games? If there's not, could someone toss one together? I want to see what my options are game wise when the system lands.
Here's the list Nintendo published.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 26, 2012, 03:30:23 PM »
Is there any definitive list of Wii U launch or near launch games? If there's not, could someone toss one together? I want to see what my options are game wise when the system lands.
Here's the list Nintendo published.

Time for some shameless self promotion...

23 Wii U Launch Games in North America

7 Wii U eShop Games Have "November" Releases
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Darksiders 2 news and photos
« Reply #277 on: September 28, 2012, 11:21:46 AM »
Some news and Promo shots for Darksiders II on Wii U
(might not be exactly new news, but I don't think it's been posted in the forums yet)

THQ has revealed details on the Wii U version of Darksiders II. Set to arrive on November 18th, Darksiders II on Wii U will offer multiple pieces of bonus content not featured on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 or PC versions, including the recently-released Argul’s Tomb content with new dungeons and armor and the Death Rides Pack with three new side quests. Also included will be the Angel of Death and Shadow of Death packs with new legendary armor and weapon choices, plus the upgraded horse speed boost from the Deadly Despair Pack. Players will also have access to additional unique legendary weapon and armor sets from the moment they start the game.

Wii U will also allow players to instantly access inventory and ability menus via the GamePad’s screen, and players will have the choice of using the GamePad or the Wii U Pro controller to play. Darksiders II will also offer the option of using your TV to play, or the choice to entirely use the GamePad’s screen.

Screenshots:

This is one of the games I'll be picking up at launch. Just want to raise the awareness.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:29:32 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 28, 2012, 12:11:56 PM »
Yeah, it's also worked its way into my launch day lineup.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 28, 2012, 01:42:16 PM »
I will probably get this game eventually.  When it beats Steam for Price.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 28, 2012, 02:12:09 PM »
It's being able to play entirely on the GamePad that clinches it for me. That's a huge selling point for any game in my book.

J.P. Corbran

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 28, 2012, 03:49:01 PM »
It's being able to play entirely on the GamePad that clinches it for me. That's a huge selling point for any game in my book.

It's funny how most people dismiss "console-style" games on handhelds, yet they're all for playing console games on a controller screen.

You're getting the same experience either way.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 28, 2012, 03:57:26 PM »
The issue with console-style games on a handheld is that you have to ask, "Why didn't they just put this on a console?"

Being able to play Wii U games on the GamePad is merely a perk to the console experience. If I want to play videogames and someone else wants to you the TV, the option is still there.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 28, 2012, 04:07:04 PM »
The issue with console-style games on a handheld is that you have to ask, "Why didn't they just put this on a console?"

Being able to play Wii U games on the GamePad is merely a perk to the console experience. If I want to play videogames and someone else wants to you the TV, the option is still there.

But what exactly is wrong with playing console-style games on a handheld? Isn't it good that you can have the same gaming experiece wherever you go?

Playing games like Mario Kart, LittleBigPlanet, God of War, Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Ocarina of Time, PS All-Stars, Smash Bros. (etc.) at home or on the go is great.

Sony even gives you the benefit of cross-platform play, allowing you to play the same game wherever you are and have your save files linked. The Vita is an amazing handheld, and it's a shame that it isn't selling well.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 04:08:46 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 28, 2012, 05:30:57 PM »
But what exactly is wrong with playing console-style games on a handheld? Isn't it good that you can have the same gaming experiece wherever you go?
There's nothing "wrong" with it, per se. Not everyone wants to buy another piece of hardware to play certain games. I do it, but I don't want to.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 28, 2012, 05:47:27 PM »
There's nothing "wrong" with it, per se. Not everyone wants to buy another piece of hardware to play certain games. I do it, but I don't want to.

But the convenience of playing your games anywhere, without being tethered to a TV, should outweigh the hardware costs. That's the whole reason Nintendo created the Game Boy, to give you an NES experience on the go (and the GBA is basically a portable Super NES, the PSP is basically a portable PS2, the 3DS is basically a portable GameCube, etc.).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:47:53 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 28, 2012, 06:24:37 PM »
I prefer to play most things on a handheld. That's why I really want the Vita to turn things around and be successful. But the Wii U is just perfect, because it gives me both options. I almost exclusively play my handhelds at home, so being restricted in range from the console is no problem for me.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 28, 2012, 08:43:19 PM »
I prefer to play most things on a handheld. That's why I really want the Vita to turn things around and be successful. But the Wii U is just perfect, because it gives me both options. I almost exclusively play my handhelds at home, so being restricted in range from the console is no problem for me.

Why would you prefer to play on a tiny ass screen if you could play it on a huge ass screen instead? That makes no sense to me, but to each their own...
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 28, 2012, 09:20:01 PM »
There are advantages to both, and to me the handheld advantages win out. That's why I love the idea of the Wii U so much, as, at least in some cases, I have the option of doing either one.

J.P. Corbran

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 28, 2012, 10:09:46 PM »
There are advantages to both, and to me the handheld advantages win out. That's why I love the idea of the Wii U so much, as, at least in some cases, I have the option of doing either one.

Agreed. I love my 3DS and my Wii, but the Wii U gives us the best of both worlds. I might just sell my 3DS and Wii when the Wii U comes out.

Dat 6-inch screen!

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 28, 2012, 11:07:24 PM »
Walmart has Pikmin 3 listed for launch day!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #291 on: September 28, 2012, 11:40:19 PM »
They also have fake boxart (they didn't even bother using a real Wii U case). Placeholder most likely since Nintendo already confirmed it as a Spring 2013 release.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 28, 2012, 11:42:27 PM »
They also have fake boxart (they didn't even bother using a real Wii U case). Placeholder most likely since Nintendo already confirmed it as a Spring 2013 release.

Then Walmart needs to update their info.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 29, 2012, 11:30:56 AM »
Agreed. I love my 3DS and my Wii, but the Wii U gives us the best of both worlds.

It doesn't give you the 3DS' ability to play games on a bus or on the go. You have to be within a certain distance of the console or else it won't work. So essentially its like playing a handheld but without the portability, which is the main advantage a handheld has.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 29, 2012, 12:43:18 PM »
Agreed. I love my 3DS and my Wii, but the Wii U gives us the best of both worlds.

It doesn't give you the 3DS' ability to play games on a bus or on the go. You have to be within a certain distance of the console or else it won't work. So essentially its like playing a handheld but without the portability, which is the main advantage a handheld has.

I believe they also talked about the Wii U using the 3DS's street pass info for some Miiverse interactviity 3DS/WiiU connectivity.

(what ever happened to that gamecard/pedometer thing? was that a WiiFit U accessory?)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #295 on: September 29, 2012, 01:00:02 PM »
Yes, the pedometer was specifically mentioned for Wii Fit U as an accessory for that game. Maybe others will use it, but it looks like it will only come with the game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 29, 2012, 01:43:12 PM »
I would like more console-like games for my 3DS but that's just me because my 3DS stays at home all the time. I represent just a portion of handheld owners.

There are a segment of gamers that would like to play their games on the go. People on the move who can only play for short bursts of 5 to 10 minutes and so making a console-like game just eliminates the point of a handheld console and alienates a segment of handheld owners. Trying to complete a Zelda dungeon that normally takes 30 minutes in segments of 5 minute bursts just breaks the experience.

The selling point of a handheld is gaming on the move and that's what I like about Nintendo portable games. Its also the reason I think the Vita doesn't have much third party support, its a handheld that's not trying to be a handheld.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 01:45:11 PM by MrPhishfood »

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 30, 2012, 08:22:49 PM »

The selling point of a handheld is gaming on the move and that's what I like about Nintendo portable games. Its also the reason I think the Vita doesn't have much third party support, its a handheld that's not trying to be a handheld.

But the Vita has that GPS / StreetPass thing called "Near", which encourages players to take their handheld outside.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #298 on: September 30, 2012, 10:02:41 PM »
Except Near doesn't work very well, no one seems to know how it works, and you have to specifically choose to use it (whereas StreetPass performs automatically).

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 30, 2012, 10:21:29 PM »
Except Near doesn't work very well, no one seems to know how it works, and you have to specifically choose to use it (whereas StreetPass performs automatically).

Huh I didn't know that. I guess that's another example of Sony not knowing how to design software properly...