Author Topic: Rumor: Super Mario RPG sequel for DS!  (Read 4993 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Rumor: Super Mario RPG sequel for DS!
« on: November 27, 2007, 04:18:48 AM »
Link

- For starters, it would seem that Square Enix would consider a new RPG featuring the moustached plumber. Après un premier opus sorti sur Super Famicom , Super Mario RPG serait de retour, cette fois-ci sur Nintendo DS . After a debut release for the Super Famicom, Super Mario RPG is back, this time on Nintendo DS. Il est même précisé qu'au cours du jeu, notre héros ferait la rencontre de différents personnages emblématiques de l'univers de Final Fantasy . It is even said that during the game, our hero would meet different characters emblematic of the world of Final Fantasy.

Holy Crap! This is long overdue.
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Rumor: Super Mario RPG sequel for DS!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 06:08:14 AM »
Bah, FF characters in a Mario game. Third parties handling Nintendo IPs should remind themselves that they have a serious task, not fan fiction!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
RE:Rumor: Super Mario RPG sequel for DS!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 05:04:41 PM »
I hope that Square is very, very, very, stingy in the amount of Final Fantasy characters they bring in to the game. It's a Mario adventure and should be about Mario and the Mushroom Kingdom or at least themes that match Mario's universe. Like the first Mario RPG. And it better have good music with the best DS graphics ever. Oh, and it better be funny like the original. And it better not be another remake. Though considering that no word has been mentioned about bringing Mario RPG to virtual console, maybe this is the reason why. Another remake from Square.

Oh, and very, very stingy. With regards to using Final Fantasy elements.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 02:52:06 AM »
hmm. wait, what if they did kingdom hearts, but mushroom kingdom?

if done right, it could be interesting...  

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 03:16:19 AM »
If this does turn out to be true, I'm really hoping they stick with what Mario RPG originally was and duplicate all of the variables, just toss a new story and new worlds in. Mario RPG is still my favorite RPG of all time, and it would be awful if they followed it up with something that didn't really stick to the source material.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 06:53:24 AM »
I want to see frogfucious and that giant cake thing again! Oh, and that guy with the beetles.. and the Mole town with the mole kids and that mine cart ride!

Wouldn't it be great if they made Frogfucious a playable character or something? That dude was cool.
is your sanity...

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 07:18:41 AM »
toadofski would make another good playable character, he could have musical moves that involved timed button presses to a rythm or something.

i'd love to see a return of the Axem rangers too, they were histerical. i thought it was cool in Paper Mario that they did something similar with that gang of koopas but nothing will ever beat the Axem rangers. Oh and the sunken ship was the best dungeon ever. it really se tthe mood well with those capt's logs you'd find thru out.

man i got my self all pumped up now.. i really hope its a sequel but i wouldnt mind a FAITHFUL remake
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 08:44:42 AM »
"I want to see frogfucious and that giant cake thing again! Oh, and that guy with the beetles.. and the Mole town with the mole kids and that mine cart ride!"

So you want to see a bunch of stuff from the first game repeated in a sequel?  Why not just play the original game again?  I'd rather see NONE of that stuff in the sequel.  All that stuff was new in the original and that's why I liked it.  I want to see new stuff in a sequel that I enjoy as much as those things did in the original.

This is ultimately why I'm always iffy about sequels that come out years and years later.  So many fans ask for the same stuff again and pressure to be overly nostalgic can ruin the game.  I want the game to have similar gameplay with some refinements here and there with new worlds to explore and new characters to meet within a similar graphic and music style.  I don't want the videogame equivalent of a reunion show.  If you want to ride the minecart with the mole kids again then just hook up your SNES and play the game again and if you don't have it anymore buy it when it comes to the VC.

I will not buy a Super Mario RPG remake in any form or fashion.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 09:34:28 AM »

Originally posted by: EasyCure
toadofski would make another good playable character, he could have musical moves that involved timed button presses to a rythm or something.

i'd love to see a return of the Axem rangers too, they were histerical. i thought it was cool in Paper Mario that they did something similar with that gang of koopas but nothing will ever beat the Axem rangers. Oh and the sunken ship was the best dungeon ever. it really se tthe mood well with those capt's logs you'd find thru out.

man i got my self all pumped up now.. i really hope its a sequel but i wouldnt mind a FAITHFUL remake

Yeah, I remembered there was some toad that had you complete his score but I forgot his name. And that sunken ship was awesome. Actually, all the dungeons were awesome in that game. There was never another game like this ever made. Nintendo tried to duplicate it with the Mario & Luigi franchise for their handhelds, but while those games were great, they were nowhere near as awesome as SMRPG. It just had a really magical feel to it, and it had awesome graphics for an SNES game. It was just hard to believe that old system could handle a game so awesome as this.

Let's also remember Geno and Mallow and the others in it. I hope they either return or are at least hinted at in some way.
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 09:39:44 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"I want to see frogfucious and that giant cake thing again! Oh, and that guy with the beetles.. and the Mole town with the mole kids and that mine cart ride!"

So you want to see a bunch of stuff from the first game repeated in a sequel?  Why not just play the original game again?  I'd rather see NONE of that stuff in the sequel.  All that stuff was new in the original and that's why I liked it.  I want to see new stuff in a sequel that I enjoy as much as those things did in the original.

This is ultimately why I'm always iffy about sequels that come out years and years later.  So many fans ask for the same stuff again and pressure to be overly nostalgic can ruin the game.  I want the game to have similar gameplay with some refinements here and there with new worlds to explore and new characters to meet within a similar graphic and music style.  I don't want the videogame equivalent of a reunion show.  If you want to ride the minecart with the mole kids again then just hook up your SNES and play the game again and if you don't have it anymore buy it when it comes to the VC.

Ian, bringing back old characters and worlds does NOT make a game a remake. If that is the case, then just about every Mario game ever made is a remake for bringing back old familiar elements.

I would assume a SMRPG sequel would be set in the same universe as the first, so why shouldn't some things return? Of course I agree things shouldn't be EXACTLY the same as the first game. They should also build off the first one by adding new things, new characters, new levels, et cetera. But some of the old stuff should return. Should all of it be brought back? No, but definitely some of it should.
is your sanity...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 10:37:11 AM »

Originally posted by: Chozo Ghost

Originally posted by: Ian Sane

Ian, bringing back old characters and worlds does NOT make a game a remake. If that is the case, then just about every Mario game ever made is a remake for bringing back old familiar elements.

I would assume a SMRPG sequel would be set in the same universe as the first, so why shouldn't some things return? Of course I agree things shouldn't be EXACTLY the same as the first game. They should also build off the first one by adding new things, new characters, new levels, et cetera. But some of the old stuff should return. Should all of it be brought back? No, but definitely some of it should.

Good point, I love to see old characters and enemies return, it provides a sense of nostalgia, but if done right it doesn't mean the experience is rehashed (Like SMG).  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 10:57:17 AM »

Let's also remember Geno and Mallow and the others in it. I hope they either return or are at least hinted at in some way.

niether of those characters need to be reminded to anyone who've played the game, thats the only reason i left them out.

Ian i see what you're saying but the thing with sequels that come out long after the original, i think its good to throw a few things back for nostalgia. I think most of us here would agree we'd rather have a sequel over a remake, as long as the sequel was worth it. I dont see why throwing a few things in as a bonus could hurt the game. How would you feel if you come to an inn, spend the night, and when you wake up the next morning you find a certain green- hooded adventure sleeping in the other bed? I know i'd have a big cheesy smile and think "oh man, thats awesome!" I think with little things like that, that dont really affect gameplay, rehashing is prefectly fine and i think Chozo's examples were just that. So what if theres another mine cart race or beetle snatching minigame thrown in? its not like they wont add new events. Besides, its an rpg and if it did follow the original  closely in gameplay, that means turn-based combat with timed button presses for extra power/defense which, in my opinion, is done to death. it was fun back in the day when the button presses added a little bit of action to the normally boring battles, but since then we've had plenty of the mario rpg-type games that have re-used the mechanic (for better or worse).

now imagine if this game was on wii, even if they did re-hash some of the gameplay it would still feel new because it would use a gesture system. Remember the part of the game where that giant crow with the stupid hat was pecking at the statues, and as mario pretending to be a statue, you'd have to stay perfectly still until it was time to dodge his beak? something like that would be awesome on wii if they made you flick the wiimote up to jump during it and then keep the wiimote perfectly still the rest of the time (using a similar mechanic used in Manhunt 2). if they can make an old experience like that feel new again, i'm all for it
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 11:25:36 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenixGood point, I love to see old characters and enemies return, it provides a sense of nostalgia, but if done right it doesn't mean the experience is rehashed (Like SMG).

Yeah. Especially when an old enemy returns, but now as a friend that helps you against some new enemy, like when Bowser joined Mario's team in the first RPG. I really liked that, and I think it was the first game that ever let you play as Bowser.

I wasn't terribly fond of Smithy in the first one, but I guess it would be okay if he returned as a friend, or maybe just made a friendly cameo appearance. I hope he isn't the enemy again, though.
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 12:01:20 PM »
I'm more offended by the suggestion of the cake or the mine cart returning since those are so specific and such minor parts of the game that it feels rehashed to me.  The Link cameo, particularly the exact same one, would also feel that way though a different Link cameo that doesn't involve him sleepin in the inn is fine.  Otherwise it's the exact same Easter egg.  Put Pikmin in a cameo though and it's fresh.  However something like Mallow being in the game, even as a major character, wouldn't bother me.  Having repeated side-quests and mini-games would feel rehashy.  I liked the Midas River but don't put that in again.  It all depends on how it's done.  Perhaps I overreacted a bit but it really bothers me when people list off a bunch of stuff from the earlier game that they want in the sequel.  That sort of thing results in New Super Mario RPG.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 12:29:55 PM »
I see what you're saying, Ian, and I mostly agree with you. But remember, the cake was kinda a minor character because it became alive and you had to battle it. :P I thought it was funny that the toughest enemy up to that point was a giant wedding cake.

But you are right - I wouldn't want midas river or the mine cart thing to be done again like it was in the first one. They could put something similar in a sequel, but I'd hope it would be very different than in the first. Remember, mines were an important feature in Mole town so it would make sense that if Mole town was in a sequel you'd have to deal with some sort of mine activity again. But I agree, it shouldn't be the same as it was. I hope they can figure out some new things that would hold that same magical feel.
is your sanity...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 02:28:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Chozo Ghost
I wasn't terribly fond of Smithy in the first one, but I guess it would be okay if he returned as a friend...

Now that's just plain silly...

If there's another game, there's one thing that must absolutely be included...Yoshi as a team member!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 08:17:45 PM »
Trust SquareSoft to try and drag down the success of Mario lately.

"We'll consider making another horrific RPG with Mario!"
"We didn't ask you"
"But only if we can put Cloud and Tidus in it"
"No"
"And we'll make Mario wear eyeliner and baggy pants with eighty zippers on them"
"You're banned from making games on Nintendo systems"

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 08:45:57 PM »
I hope they avoid those ugly rendered graphics that were the big craze in the late SNES gen and seem to become popular again (MvDK, DKJC). Rendered sprites weren't pretty in the SNES era and they aren't pretty now either!