Author Topic: Theories on how Wii was chosen  (Read 1381 times)

Offline thepoga

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Theories on how Wii was chosen
« on: April 30, 2006, 07:27:10 PM »
I remember awhile back they had this "What's your favorite Star Wars game" poll on a website. The game that won was the joke title, Jar-Jar Binks: Greatest Jedi of Them All. That's pretty much how Wii was chosen. They chose the joke answer.

So yeah, make your own little theories. Maybe this should belong in Ty's Funhouse, but oh well! (note: Not a serious discussion thread)

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Theories on how Wii was chosen
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 07:40:45 PM »
Double UI... user interface?

Shutup
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Theories on how Wii was chosen
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 08:34:18 PM »
Oh I dunno, maybe because it leaves alot of room for name manipulation to catch someone's attention within commercials. It is also easy on the eyes and simple (though the sound will take awhile to get used to).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Theories on how Wii was chosen
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 08:39:29 PM »
haha

I now relate the name with GUI, graphic user interface, or I keep confusing it with "Wifi", "WWII" and "will" all the damn time.

In my view after having learned to tolerate it, Ive come to the conclusion that the name was chosen based on the North American market.

Yes, crazy, I know, so let me explain. It has stirred a lot more over there than in the rest of the world, theres also this "wheeee" connotation, as in having fun, not to mention the "we" reference and how it relates to the little "i"s, which is non existant in the rest of the world, and I really agree with Johnny when he said that the mentality of the name is that any publicity is good publicity, so the jokes were not only expected, they were a reason to go with the name, and after all from what I gather this are kids jokes, and the term isnt broadly used by everyone.

The poor british Nintendo fans must be having a really hard time though from what Ive read too, because its a normal word for piss, I try to imagine what it would be if they name the console "pipi" or "chichi" and I was so disgusted that Id probably punch Kaplan and Films Aim in the face without hesitation.

Unfortunately the "wheeee" sound isnt associated with fun around here, is just an annoing sound. Also, from what Ive seen about japanese, french, german and even swiss people, and also the people Ive told about it, they are more confused than chocked or amused, the name is completly nonsensical.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro