Author Topic: New Metallica Album: St. Anger  (Read 16649 times)

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
New Metallica Album: St. Anger *UPDATE: Music Video Info*
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2003, 09:14:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Dethroned Emperor
I agree with the omen, that is a great spot for the metallica icon show. excellent choice using "damage inc" as the background track. the artist I'm most looking forward to seeing on the icon show is avril lavigne, anyone else?
Yes, so I can laugh my ass of when she attempts to do Fuel. Yep, it's been confirmed that she will be singing Fuel at the show. Supposedly when asked about the song Avril said something like this, "it's a really long song". HAHAHAHA. She apparently has never listened to Metallica before in her life because Fuel is a relatively short song for Metallica. I don't know where it came from but someone on the metallica.com boards said that Lars made a comment that compared to some of the people MTV were having them chose from Avril was death metal. MTV must have given them some truly crappy bands to chose from then.

Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2003, 05:40:02 AM »
rob halford once said that sum 41 was the next great heavy metal band, LOL. unfortunately, they too will be performing on this icon show. I can only imagine how much they paid rob to spew such nonsense. avril lavigne doesn't have the pipes to do most metallica songs, I think it'd be pretty hilarious if she tried to sing something like phantom lord, or anything off of kill 'em all. next thing u know, justin timberlake will be onstage talking about how much metallica influenced him to get into the music business, blecch!!!

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2003, 08:19:26 AM »
SUM41?   Ugh....and Avril doing Fuel is a joke.  at least she wont disgrace any real classics.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2003, 06:29:56 AM »
just saw the setlist over on allmetallica.com from last nite's "icon" show:
sum 41 - for whom the bell tolls/enter sandman
staind - nothing else matters
avril lavigne - fuel
snoop dogg - sad but true (appeared to be high during his performance)
korn - one
limp bizkit - sanitarium
metallica - hit the lights/enter sandman/blackened/creeping death/battery (medley)
metallica debuted "frantic" from the "st. anger" album to close the show.

all covers were abreviated to fit everything in to the 90-minute show for mtv, which airs tuesday at 9.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2003, 05:51:26 PM »
HOLY SH*T!!!! Did you guys catch the end of Icon. I can't wait for this album. It was very heavy and fast. For those of you who don't know the song they played at the end of Icon is Frantic off of St. Anger. There's a lot of people pissed that MTV cut off the song but don't worry. Metallica actually only played half the song according to people who were at the recording of the show. On the other hand I still think they cut it off a little bit though because some people were saying that one of the lyrics was "Frantic tic tic tic tic toc" and I didn't hear that so who knows. Hopefully it will be up on the net soon so everyone can download it.

The lyrics that I could catch were:

If I could get back my wasted days back
I'd use them to get back on track

You live it or lie it

At the end he was screaming:

My lifestyle determines my deathstyle.  

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2003, 06:16:23 PM »
If you want to download the song someone at the metallica.com boards has kindly posted it. Just click here and then click on the link on the first post. Be warned though that the boards are very flooded right now so you may have to wait a little while.

EDIT: Damn it. Looks like the mod deleted the topic for some reason. Pisses my off too. Why did they have to do that? At least I got to download it. HEHEHE. I'm sure it will show up some place else eventually though.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
New Metallica Album: St. Anger *UPDATE: Frantic on Icon*
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2003, 06:52:21 PM »
Frantic sounded great.  I can't wait for this album.   I'm getting my tickets for summer sanitarium tomorrow.  July 12th...metal up your ass!

Korn did justice to 'one'.  All in all, a good show.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
New Metallica Album: St. Anger *UPDATE: Frantic on Icon*
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2003, 07:06:18 PM »
Here's another go at this. Click here and then click on the link that says, "DOWNLOAD FRANTIC FROM MTVICON". It's kind of a messed up recording since it was playing out of both speakers and they were out of synch with each other. I would just put the balance on one speaker or the other.  

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
New Metallica Album: St. Anger *UPDATE: Final album art details*
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2003, 08:10:16 PM »
Click here to see some shots of the finalized album art as well as some shots of the inside art. This is some crazy sick sh#t. It's now clear that the angry fist represents St. Anger. The reason why is the one of the lyrics for St. Anger the song is, "I hang myself, St. Anger around my neck" or something like that and the art shows the fist around the red corpse's neck.

Once your done drooling over the art you can go to allmetallica.com and click on the link that says, "Commercial Clip May 13" to hear some new stuff from St. Anger. It's even better and heavier than what was played of Frantic at Icon. Very reminiscent of Master of Puppets.

Click on this link to hear a new clip from the song St. Anger with lyrics. James screaming, "and I need to set my anger free" game me the god damn creeps. This album is going to be great.  

Offline MetalHead666

• View Profile
JUST GO HERE!!!

GOODNESS  
WIND WAKER=MASTERPIECE!!!

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
New Metallica Album: St. Anger
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2003, 10:17:36 PM »
Okay, so the video of St. Anger has been shown to the world and the single version of the song (edited for time and content) is being played on the radio. Basically I just want to see people discuss the song. Even non Metallica fans are welcome.

As for my own opinion I'm still a little unsure. It's definitely heavy. Maybe even the heaviest thing they've done depending on how you look at it. The song is actually pretty good but it's definitely not perfect. For one thing it's basically a 4-5 min song that they played 3 times. Also lyrics wise this is definitely their weakest song as long as you ignore Kill 'em All. Great album but you have to admit some of the lyrics are very campy and corny.

Anyway the lyrics come off like the Metallica boys sat around in a circle and wrote down one liners and then tried to force them into a song. It clearly doesn't work. Yes, looking at each line on its own there is some good stuff there but it just doesn't work as a whole. By the way for those of you who don't know the entire band wrote the lyrics for this album not just James which is what usually was done. It really shows too. At least in this song anyway. I think this is the one thing that is most upsetting for me. Not being a musician or musically minded the first thing that attracted me to Metallica was the lyrics. Metallica's lyrics (again ignore Kill 'em All) have always been deep, intelligent, poetic stuff especially when you consider other bands of the same genre. So to have a song full of nothing but one liners is disappointing. Again great one liners but they just don't work as a whole.

The song is really too repetitive. It really should have only been 5 mins like the edited single version. A lot of songs have that part that they repeat but coupled with the fact that there is no solo it really is annoying with St. Anger. The worst part about it though is that it almost sounds like they just copied and pasted the beginning part.
When I first heard about the no solo thing I didn't really think much of it. Yeah, I was shocked but that was about it. After hearing a whole song without a single solo I understand now why a lot of people were having fits over it. The song could really use a solo or two to break things up a bit.

Okay, so other than those complaints I still think it's a good song. Each time I listen to it it grows on me a little more. Frankly with this song I don't think Metallica was trying to make another Master of Puppets or For Whom the Bell Tolls. I think what they wanted to do was just make a heavy assed song that you could bang your head too and if that is the case they definitely succeeded.

As for the rest of the album I do think that Frantic will be better. From what I have heard (I heard a bad quality boot leg from the Fillmore shows) it seems to be more of a normal Metallica song and I do think the lyrics are better on this one. Just like with St. Anger though it comes off as a little repetitive (no where as bad as St. Anger though) but I think that's mainly because of the lack of a solo. Well seeing as how I have only heard Frantic and St. Anger in full I can't say anything about the other songs so that's all.  

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2003, 08:45:08 AM »
I wish i could comment, but i refuse to listen .  I want the music to be fresh when i get the CD, and the radio often ruins it for me.  I have heard Frantic once, and really liked it.  I think it all comes down to what Metallica you compare it to-the pre-'90 Met., or the '90s Met.  It compares quite favorably to the 90's Metallica, but of course it will never be as acclaimed as the good ol days.  I'm happy with the direction they are going, however.(from what i've heard)

You are right about the lyrics, they always were the first thing to grab my attention and set Metallica apart from the others.

Offline MetalHead666

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2003, 11:54:06 AM »
Well I have heard all 11 songs off ST Anger (I did the streaming video treasure hunt that met has goin) and let me just say, the other 9 songs kick frantic and St anger's asses.   All within my hands is so kick ass it isnt even funny, Invisible kid= Incredible.  MEtallica is definately back, this cd is gonna own, make sure you get a copy you wont regret it.
WIND WAKER=MASTERPIECE!!!

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2003, 02:11:36 PM »
Hey, MetalHead666 could you give me the link to the site with Some Kind of Monster. I heard it's a lot like The Thing That Should Not Be which is one of my favorites from Puppets. Out of the few I've heard from the treasure hunt All Within My Hands and Unnamed Feeling (Unforgiven killer) are my favorites. Yes, I too am extremely excited about this album. After hearing them off a crappy stream and liking them I can't wait to hear them off the actual CD.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2003, 04:32:40 PM »
I have my CD pre-ordered...can't wait.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2003, 06:26:02 PM »
So far it seems like the title track is the worst song on the CD. <----My opinion. Frantic was better, and the other song I heard part of on the radio before I shut it off to listen to Blind Guardian sounded okay.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2003, 08:08:56 PM »
i like this cd so far...only listened to it about 5 times...but it gets my adrenaline pumping so far,,which is more than i can say for their last two offerings.  Final review in 2 days.  I will say i dig it right now, though...

EDIT:  I've now listened straight through the entire cd about 10 times, and i love it.  I'd go as far as to say its their best since Justice.  Yes i like it better than the Black album, so far anyway.  I think it sounds like a mix between Justice and Load.  The lack of guitar solos leaves me a little perplexed, as i love Hammett, but thats the only thing i dont care for.  And even that doesnt detract from my overall enjoyment.  The Cd sounds really rough, in a good way, like they just jammed and didnt care about making it perfect, which i really like.  In oither words , it isn't overproduced.  My initial score, as of now, is 8/10.   I think in a month or so, i'll be able to judge it more thoroughly.  

Offline warZone

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2003, 07:41:24 AM »
St. Anger sucks plain and simple. the opening track Frantic sounds like Metallica goes Slayer, which would not be a bad thing, but the guitar is way too undertuned, the riffs go from decent to absolutely stupid, drums sound like Lars is on drugs banging kitchenware. I listen to the cd again and again and everytime i hear the opening track going about searching, searching, tick, tock, must be about searching for a good song on this cd, but its a waste of time. I know it sounds like a cheesy pun but thats the thought that occurs to me for real. Sorry to say that cause I have been a fan since 1986 and I was hoping Metallica going back to basics and reinventing themselves, what they said before release, would be something that would blast all this Load Reload 89347185 minutes long stadium massive dinosaur boring horse **** to oblivion.

Metallica started going wrong with the Black Album with too many monster riff songs (albeit many half good), got totally confused and stripped down excess confusion now they're just confused. St. Anger should have been some kind of after-release for their next GOOD cd, for the fans to see how they jammed into some cool stuff that didnt end up on the album but laid the basics for Their new killer album... which I hope will follow. There's some good raw stuff on St. Anger that just never got processed to anything resembling a song, and I think just like all great artists usually make a blunder and publish something experimental that isnt ripe yet... this is Metallica's... hope it leads to a masterpiece later.

Offline Wesisapie

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2003, 04:31:54 PM »
Tosh.
St Anger sucks the big one.

I haven't heard any of their others, but that one just plain stinks.
Fin.

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2003, 08:31:57 AM »
St. Anger stinks! I've listened to it a handful of times, and I'm having trouble picking out any songs that are memorable. this album might be their best in a decade, but that's not saying much. it isn't even as good as the black album. the best reason to pick this one up is to get the access code to the audio vault, so u can d/l all their live mp3s. if St. Anger sounded as good as the last slayer album, I'd have no gripes. metallica should quit while they're ahead, and avoid tarnishing whatever is left of their once-proud legacy.

Offline GCNMasterX

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2003, 11:56:41 AM »
St. Anger is an awesome album on Metallica's part. My dad owns the CD and I burnt it; I listen to it alot of the time. The songs are kinda loong though..
Who loves Vanilla Coke?? I love vanilla coke!

Currently listening to:  Twisted Method, Staind, Adema, Disturbed

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2003, 05:32:51 AM »
It is better than the Black album, and by tarnishing their rep. sice Black, they needed to just get back to having fun in the studio, thrashing.  As for the songs being too long, when Metallica is good, their songs have always been long.  

If you haven't heard any other Metallica cds, why would you start with this one?  Go back and start from the beginning, not the end.