Author Topic: Zelda Movie??  (Read 4676 times)

Offline Snake2715

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Zelda Movie??
« on: February 07, 2003, 11:53:27 AM »
I was looking for Wind Waker clip and saw this

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0325724/board/nest/355675

Can it be true?

Josh
When I was a kid we didnt have fancy Nintendo videogames with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like "Space Invaders" and "Asteroids" and the graphics sucked ass! Your guy was a little square! You had to use your imagination! And there were no multiple levels or screens

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
Zelda Movie??
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 01:41:42 PM »
Well, I guess it wouldn't surpise me.

There are going to be movies for Metroid, and Diablo (Probably others that I've forgotten)
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Evilmanman

• View Profile
Zelda Movie??
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 05:42:06 PM »
I doubt nintendo would licence the Zelda franchise to a Movie company without making an announcement about it.
THE SECRET IS ON THE EASTERN PENINSULA. I KNOW NOTHING. I AM ERROR.

Offline Attrox

• View Profile
Zelda Movie??
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 06:06:16 PM »
Quite interesting. A friend of mine is assosiated with a guy named Joe Morris, who is trying to get permission to produce a Zelda movie, which would be animated, though. That's the only movie I have really heard about, this is new to me...I bet it's just a rumor.
Attrox - Webmaster of the Great Deku Tree
http://www.gdtree.com/

Offline GRINGO

• View Profile
Zelda Movie??
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 10:41:28 AM »
There is definitely a Metroid movie in production, according to many sources. A live action Zelda movie would be a great thing to do, but may only work incorporating ideas from Lord of the Rings. If anything, it would most likely be an anime. Which is no bad thing.

Why do Micro$oft lovers hate plumbers? Sure they love to show off their crack, but they are only here to help us out with our drainage problems.

They're just trying to earn a living man...

DO DA WARIO!

Offline Cerberus

• View Profile
Zelda Movie??
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 04:45:38 PM »
I really wouldn't like a Zelda movie. The games are all I need and the movie would most likely suck. But if it is an anime....that would be cool.
You can pick you friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Zelda Movie??
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2003, 01:41:35 PM »
I would love a Zelda movie if it was done right.  However, I can see Nintendo turning it into something like Pokemon, targeting the pre-teen sect.  That would be awful, and I wouldn't waste my money to see it.  Unfortunately, that would be the best route to take with a Zelda movie because mainstream public is usually not to keen on fantasy/sci-fi based movies like Zelda would be (i.e Dungeons and Dragons, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, etc.) , and those little pre-teen brats would just eat that pokemonesque crap up. (Don't mis-understand me.  I love the Pokemon games, they're some of my favorites. However, just watch a few episodes of Pokemon, and a Pokemon movie. You'll see what I mean. ) Undercover gamers such as I used to be wouldn't see the movie because of the cool factor and there aren't that many of us geeks out there to pull in profit for nintendo if they make a decent, live-action, teen/adult targeted film.  Just look at what happened with the Final Fantasy movie.  It was a good film.  Its not what I wanted in a Final Fantasy film (it strayed too far from the normal Final Fantasy plot) but none the less, a good film.  Yet, it failed miserably at the box-office causing devastating losses for Square.  Nintendo is too smart for that.    
it was time for a change.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
Zelda Movie??
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2003, 04:45:56 PM »
in pokemons defense, i consider myself a BIG anime fan, and i like the pokemon series, it is just simple un-adulterated fun is all.  And the first movie was good, Mewtwo was a cool character.  Anyway the only problem with a zelda anime is 1) it wouldn't be that popular in america unless it got dubbed, and i shiver at the thought of dubbing.  We need something that will resonate amongst a croud of both US and Japanese viewers.  The Japanese public accept our movies way before we accept their anime (If spirited away and Princess Mononoke couldn't get an american audience, Zelda won't come close).
Rember what happened to the Spider-Man movie... it was good, and as well was the X-Men.  I know that Zelda is not known by older audiences, but this is a perfect way to do it.  Like somone said have a Lord o' da Rings feel, however why does this have to be bad.  It is not stealing away the ideas, the only similarities is they both have blonde guys who use swords, they both have goblin like creatures, and they both see alot of woods.  The story is plenty open to consideration.  You have a perfect world and perfect characters to work off of, so i say a real-life anime with good paced plot.  How bout a nice introduction at the beggining explain the tri-force too.  Oh well, im not a producer or any other movie related worker.  
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Zelda Movie??
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2003, 05:24:08 PM »
I don't have problem with anime but if Zelda was made cheezy like Pokemon is (no offense) I would have a big problem with that.  Zelda has never been that childish of a game.  Even though for some horrid reason, nintendo decided to make Zelda more cartoony, anime, whatever, they are also attaching the "kiddy" (cliche, I know) tag to it, a title they should be trying to shed.  So this in a way explains why I'm not to keen on the cel-shading, and why the Zelda movie WILL suck if and when nintendo makes it in pokemonesque fashion.  

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
Zelda Movie??
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2003, 05:49:09 PM »
I don't believe that it is kiddish in the sense that it is match the colors.  You are totally missing the point behind cel-shading.  It is bright, colorful and it looks fun.  Why does every bloody game have to have individual lashes for eyebrows and stuff like that.  What is wrong with haveing something just enjoyable to play.  That IS nintendo's field, a game that is universal to all players of any age, the fact you don't accept the cel-shading to a chilish basis just confirms your eurocentric view of the "cartoon" being something for simple entertainment.  Remember this game wasnt made in america for just the american audience.  It was made by a Japanese man (who loveds anime) and the Japanese grew up around anime their entire lives.  He even says he wanted to bring to life what the japanese public focus their lives around.  Metroid is a game that should be realalistic, but zelda is diffrent, it is a fantasy world, and fantasy is about imagination, not seeing how close a game can look to the world we see everyday, that is just boring, the cel-shading is a new world to see rather than the same old realism over and over.  Let's face it, you can't make a realalistic game and make it look bright and diffrent without it being called childish anymore.  The people who bash on cel-technology need to step off their "I'm to mature for a game that looks like a cartoon" motto, and realive it is childish to stereotype a category which hasn't even been widely enjoyed yet.  Maturity comes from enjoying something for what it is, not what it looks like.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Zelda Movie??
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2003, 07:36:33 PM »
See Heres the thread I was talking about.

Anyway.  I understand that a game doesn't have to be childish if it is cel-shaded.  But I ask you this, do you think that bright colors and imagination can't be used without cel-shading?  None of it is real.  Programmers can put whatever they want in the game, cel-shaded or "realistic"  Imagination is the basis for any game whether it be cel-shaded, or "real" looking.  I haven't missed the point of cel-shading.  It could work for Zelda, but not the way they did it, and note with the game's tone.  I would have loved to have seen Super Mario Sunshine cel-shaded.  It would have been more appropriate.  However, the problem I have with Nintendo Cel-shading Zelda is not only does it look like a cartoon, they are using "Looney Tune" humor to make it more childish, intentionally at that.  Example, E3 footage.  Whats with the pig guys floating in air until they realize there isn't any ground under their feet anymore, then they fall? After that their dust cloud is left in the air.  Straight out of Looney Tunes, a child's cartoon.  Pooh!   They might as well have frikin' Bugs Bunny in there tying the weapons into knots.
Zelda has never been the kind of game to be humorous,  nor has it ever been a childish game.  It has been Dark and should stay that way.  Why change a good thing?
About the movie.  It would be great if the Zelda movie could be live action and something like the Lord of The Rings, ya know, Dark, but not too Dark to alienate the younger audience. Thats the route Nintendo should take if they do a Zelda movie.  

Offline Mode 7

• View Profile
Zelda Movie??
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2003, 10:11:17 AM »
I already spoke my piece on the other Zelda movie-related thread. (Why are there two?) Basically, what it comes down to is that I sincerely doubt a Zelda movie will ever be made, and I personally hope it never is. A Zelda movie, live-action or animated, can never and will never live up to what the fans would expect. Unless, of course, it's a total fluke like Lord of the Rings, which are odds that are (unfortunately) not in our favor.

So, I guess you can change those latter two "nevers" into "highly, highly, highly unlikelies." And this is all just my opinion.
Mode 7: The Filthy Mutie

"Clothes make the man; naked people have little or no affect on society." - Mark Twain

Offline Animelee

• View Profile
Zelda Movie??
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2003, 08:20:34 PM »
Well, I am a big anime and Nintendo fan, so maybe I can share some of my ideas.

If they were to make an anime, that would be great! It could be like a 52 episode series, with NO filler episodes. It could show all the journeys of all the Links, from OoT to ALttP. It would be medium - high quality animation.

Now, I am a GREAT Pokemon fan. I love the anime and the game exactly the same. Now, I need to let everyone know that the Japanese version of Pokemon is ten times better. Not only are the original voices and BGM's left in, but there are no corny jokes. Now, it doesn't have any "mature themes" as many people think it has. It's EXACTLY the same as the English version, content wise. It's more G-rated than...some Disney movies, even. Well, except for that part where Kojiro (James) wore fake breasts, but that was an earlier episode, and they only did that once.

Pokemon Advanced Generation, the anime based on Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, is even better than back when Satoshi (Ash) was in Kanto. Not only that, but Team Rocket hardly comes anymore, and when they do, they don't bother with Satoshi, they just have their own problems. I have all of the Advanced Generation episodes, and I am getting more this week, and they are really great.

ANYWAYS!...if Nintendo did a Zelda anime, I hope do as great a job as they did with Pokemon (in Japan, NOT here). They could retain their game voices, and...well....it would be just SO cool!

If they DID do a live-action movie, they would just be screwing up Zelda so bad. Anime is the way to go.

But, if they dubbed it, it could be better, since Zelda DOES take place in some type of English or Irish place. And in OoT, a lot of the people speak olde English (thou, etc.). But, I think the Japanese version would be better. At least Ganondorf wouldn't cough up green blood, eh?
The biggest Pokemon fan of all time.
Proud Nintendo fanboy.
"If it ain't from Nintendo, then I automatically hate it."

Offline Sion441

• View Profile
Zelda Movie??
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2003, 09:06:50 PM »
That would be interesting but highly unlikely that it would be any good

Offline yeg0

• View Profile
Zelda Movie??
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2003, 06:12:18 AM »
as Sion441 said, "That would be interesting but highly unlikely that it would be any good"
It would be kind of weird. Then they have to voice Link or make him totally silent.

-yeg0

"HENSHIN-A-GO-GO, BABY!"

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Zelda Movie??
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2003, 02:17:16 PM »
Some, in my opinion the best Anime, is as dark as Return to Ozz, which in my opinion may be the darkest book ever written. Just because something is drawn that way does not mean that it cannot scare the hell out of you. Same goes for Cel Shading: It is the artist's intent that determines how it looks. A zelda movie could be pulled off, but it would require a lot of work.

Offline )Dark-LInk(

• View Profile
Zelda Movie??
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2003, 06:57:18 PM »
i think a zelda wil rule, especially with the majoras mask storyline(i think it would be kool)
imagen link leading a big army of GORONS or elfs with swords againts ganandorfs DARK ARMY! AWSOME just awsome!1