Author Topic: A tribute to Nirvana  (Read 9151 times)

Offline GCNMasterX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
A tribute to Nirvana
« on: July 01, 2003, 06:20:56 AM »
In my opinion, Nirvana is one of the greatest bands ever. My favorite song from them is Smells Like Teen Spirit, the chorus goes a little like this:

"When the lights out, Hit the stages, Here we are now, Entertain us, Not the stupid, Or contagous, Here we are now, Entertain us"

Nirvana is one of those legendary bands which no one will ever forget. Its too bad Kurt Cobain had to kill himself

Now a days, the Foo Fighters, which consists of Dave Grohl (he was the drummer/vocalist in Nirvana) and they're kicking some ass right now, don't you agree?
Who loves Vanilla Coke?? I love vanilla coke!

Currently listening to:  Twisted Method, Staind, Adema, Disturbed

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
A tribute to Nirvana
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2003, 07:07:10 AM »
I thought it was "With the lights out, it's less dangerous, here we are now, entertain us, I feel stupid and contagious, here we are now entertain us."

That's what it sounds like to me, and it's what lyrics.com says, but I'm not sure how accurate they are.

But yes, Nirvana is an awesome band.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

A tribute to Nirvana
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2003, 09:14:44 AM »
Nirvana was a great band, but not one of the greatest of all time, tho it's all a matter of opinion. my fave album was in utero. I really liked songs like "scentless apprentice" "very ape" "heart-shaped box" "farmer frances" I liked the first Foo Fighters album but their follow-up efforts, I'm indifferent towards.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
A tribute to Nirvana
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2003, 02:38:47 PM »
Heart Shaped Box and Lithium are my favorite Nirvana songs, and some of their covers are REALLY good as well.  I really like the band, and I think they do deserve recognition as being one of the best ever.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Lecter

• View Profile
RE: A tribute to Nirvana
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2003, 07:45:37 PM »
I saw this interesting bit on Nirvana on a show called Unsolved Misteries. It talked about the death of Kurt Cobain (if thats spelled right) and that where was no way he could have shot himself after the amount of heroine he took. It said there had to be someone in there with him that drugged him up, and shot him because the amount of heroine he took, was enough to make you pass out. There was no way he could of picked up a gun and shot himself.

Currently Playing: Devil May Cry, Red Faction 2, GTA 3, Animal Crossing.

Currently Reading: Hannibal, Dreamcatcher.

Offline Tman

• View Profile
A tribute to Nirvana
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2003, 08:28:07 PM »
The line is "With the lights out, it's less dangerous, here we are now, entertain us, life is stupid and contagious, here we are now entertain us" - from the liner notes of Nevermind.

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2003, 03:47:11 AM »
Nirvana are OK, but seriously? The most overrated band of all time. Smells Like Teen Spirit, while it did do a whole lot for grunge, was a simple piece of trash.

Anyway, my favourite Nirvana songs are Aneurysm, Heart Shaped Box, Sliver...
I'm too metal to have a signature...

Offline GCNMasterX

• View Profile
A tribute to Nirvana
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2003, 08:37:44 AM »
Lecter...that was pretty interesting to think about..I wonder if he actually killed himself. Anyways, Nirvana isnt an overrated band. They were a really good band, which inspired other bands to come about. They were the ones who started the grunge genre (i think)

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2003, 12:48:45 PM »
There are all kinda of theorys.  Most likely, he did it him self.  He had attempted before, but failed.  Taking 50 individually wrapped sleeping pills is NOT an accident.  He had severe stomach problems and was in relativly constant pain.  

Regardless of that, Nirvana has been a favorite band of mine for some time.   My favorites are "The man who sold the world" "Heart shaped box" and "Come as your are".   Funny part is, they didn't even like SLTS.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
A tribute to Nirvana
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2003, 03:21:06 AM »
My friend theorizes that his wife hired a hitman.  He probably has his reasons for thinking this, but I don't know what they are.

I watched pop-up video one day, and there was a Nirvana song on, and the video was a compilation of lots of clips from concerts and stuff.  One bubble said that in the whole 2 hours (I think 2) of footage they had, only 6 seconds had Kurt smiling.  Most of the time he was singing, of course, but still.  Geez.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline GCNMasterX

• View Profile
A tribute to Nirvana
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2003, 08:05:20 AM »
Its pretty sad...a good band who didn't last too long..

Nirvana was some good music..I wont forget about em.

I remember Dave Grohl saying something about the trouble to create their greatest hits album (came out last year) I think it was because of Courtney Cox, who didnt want to release a greatest hits album at all; since it was her husband who died and all. Thank god they came up with an agreement, and they did release it.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2003, 09:06:39 AM »
She also wouldn't give the rights to "you know your right" to the band either.  Which I always thought was crap, they wrote it with him and all...

I never put much stock in the murder theories.  

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
A tribute to Nirvana
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2003, 09:26:32 AM »
I always liked All Apologies and Heart shaped box. Those two always struck a cord with me for some reason. God, how long has it been since Kurt died?

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2003, 04:16:25 PM »
Happened in 1996, right?  So yeah like 7 years ago.  And still played regularly on the radio around here, not a bad accomplishment.  Guess he had something there when he said it was better to burn up then fade away...

Offline Tman

• View Profile
A tribute to Nirvana
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2003, 08:31:46 PM »
Courtney Love, not Cox. and kurt killed him self in april of 94.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2003, 07:09:56 AM »
COURTNEY COX KILL KIRT COBAIN!!!!!111

A tribute to Nirvana
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2003, 12:29:01 PM »
nirvana didn't even start the "grunge" movement. there were plenty of other seattle bands like soundgarden, alice in chains, pearl jam, and mother lovebone, who were already making music.  nirvana just caught a break b/c mtv thought "teen spirit" was a catchy tune.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
A tribute to Nirvana
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2003, 02:17:49 PM »
Still a good band, though.

I've heard one song by Soundgarden: "Black Hole Sun".  I wouldn't describe it as sounding "grunge", but it's an awesome song.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
A tribute to Nirvana
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2003, 04:17:16 PM »
Actually it was 94. As for soundgarden or alice in chains, bleh, I would still take nirvana's sound.

A tribute to Nirvana
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2003, 05:10:25 PM »
Hey........Wait, Ive got a new complaint. Im ugly. but thats ok, cause so are you.
I need to pray about it

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
A tribute to Nirvana
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2003, 08:41:18 PM »
I agree with manunited, I much prefer the sound of Nirvana.  Never cared to started the grunge scene.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
A tribute to Nirvana
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2003, 12:24:49 PM »
I agree, too.  Black Hole Sun is nice, but most Nirvana songs are better, regardless.

Offline Kraven

• One of the goofier Spider-Man villains
    • View Profile
A tribute to Nirvana
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2003, 08:12:17 PM »
Nirvana is definitely not overrated.  They put everything into their music.  Have you ever seen Kurt Cobain perform?  Its incredible.  He just puts everything into it.  Watch MTV Unplugged and you'll see my point. When they perform Where Did You Sleep Last Night(In the Pines) you'll get the picture.  They revolutionized the music the industry.  At the time the top ten was all crap and pop.  Once Nirvana broke through everything changed.  Even if "Smells Like Teen Spirit" isnt the greatest song of all time.  Kurt Cobain said himself that there were better songs off of Nevermind. In comparison to Soundgarden I dont see them really in the same category.  Nirvana seems more raw to me than Soundgarden.  Pearl Jam too doesnt seem to fit in the same category.  Pearl Jam is more rock to me than grunge. Nirvana is like the Beatles they revolutionized stayed around for a bit and left but still left a mark on the industry.  Pearl Jam is more like the Rolling Stones.  They came and they are still here.  My favorite songs are Where Did You Sleep Last Night?(In The Pines), Lake of Fire, and  Plateau from Unplugged, Breed, Drain You and Something in the Way from Nevermind, About a Girl and Negative Creep from Bleach, Sliver and Hairspray Queen from Incesticide.  Btw the Foo Fighters arent very good.  They have only a few good songs.  I really dont like Dave Grohl either.  And i too think Kurt was killed.  I read too that there was no way for him to kill himself with that much heroin in him.        

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2003, 12:54:44 AM »
Sure, Nirvana pretty much gave Grunge a name, but their songs are all of simple structure. Kurt got some cool sounds out of his guitar, but as far as skill goes? He was nothing.

And everybody who is basing Soundgarden on Black Hole Sun is being foolish...
I'm too metal to have a signature...

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
A tribute to Nirvana
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2003, 08:07:29 AM »
Can't help but base it off of Black Hole Sun, that's the only song I heard.  As for skills, that means very little.  If skills are what matters, some hick from Tennessee with a banjo should be number 1.  He should have a tribute thread, no Nirvana.  Nirvana has something else.

Yeah, but the Beatles are annoying.  Especially Jonh Lenon.  Heck, I'd've shot him for doing that damn "Imagine" song.  God I hate that song.