Author Topic: Mainstream Media trys to Cover Video Games.  (Read 9634 times)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Mainstream Media trys to Cover Video Games.
« on: May 29, 2003, 01:51:52 PM »
Why the hell do these people even bother trying to report on this stuff?  It's perfectly obvious that they don't have a freaking clue what they are talking about.  Guys, Nintendo's biggest enemy isn't us.  Nintendo's enemy is the anti-hype machine going against them 24/7.  It's a foregone conclusion by most retailers and media people that the GameCube will fail, as all Nintendo consoles.  This is of course total BS, but it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy when retailers don't stock appropriate numbers of GameCube games, or don't get certain titles at all.

Anyways, here's a link to the article.

I just wish that these people would STFU is all.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 02:11:50 PM »
haha, what a friggin' joke that article is. nothing like the misinformed trying to educate the casual gamers out there, kinda like the blind leading the blind. why don't they mention that xbox has ZERO quality original titles on it not named halo.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 02:18:26 PM »
I can't believe that chief Xbox dumbass.  So what's the Xbox?  An advanced system dseigned to accomplish very serious tasks?  I doubt it.  It's for pimply little preteens that like boobs and blood; a toy, in other words.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
RE: Mainstream Media trys to Cover Video Games.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 02:22:30 PM »
hey, I know Halo is the title of the game, but is that the name of the guy on the front cover?

And the make out that having MGS on Gamecube is a BAD thing! What...?
I know you can't argue with sales figures and whatnot, but actively DISSING the console is just not on when it comes to journalism.
Why doesn't anyone ever say "....this is a good move on NIntendo's part to ensuring they have the titles they need to break into the mainstream market" or something?

What, isn't F-Zero good enough for ya?
Jee-zus!
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003, 02:26:04 PM »
I don't want to make it sound like I'm a rabid xbox hater, but all my friends have xbox, and I'm the only one who dissents from their opinion on video games. so instead of getting them to play good games like wind waker and metroid prime, I'm subjected to such rubbish as doa: extreme volleyball, and the worst fighting game currently available on any next gen system, tao feng   blecch!!!
P.S.- not that it matters, but we're all in our mid-20's.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003, 02:32:51 PM »
I don't see too much wrong with that article.  It's clear that the writer isn't a gamer but they aren't saying anything blatantly wrong or anything.  The worst part was that Xbox guy quote but as a quote it doesn't really count as a negative against the article itself.  I didn't think the article was great but it seems to me that a lot of you just don't like what the article says and thus are declaring it as total crap.  Personally the only thing I really didn't like about it was that they implied that F-Zero is a Sega franchise which of course isn't true.

"I know Halo is the title of the game, but is that the name of the guy on the front cover?"

Master Chief.  Though I jokingly call him Master Chef.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2003, 02:40:09 PM »
Yeah, I guess you can say it was well written, but the fact that they allowed that quote from M$ to pass as great info is beyond me.
Although we'd all like to report and make threads about killing M$ and Sony, even that isn't allowed on these forums.
I know you have to aggressive and crap, but geez! That's just not ethical. But then M$ has never been ethical. I'll bet if you go up to one of those guys, and ask them about Nintendo, they will just go "Oh, I respect Miyamoto-san alot. And the Gamecube is great console", which gets you thinking about all the other developers. DO they really like Nintendo and respect them, or are they just saying that cause it's on record?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2003, 02:42:03 PM »
Ian, they aren't completely wrong, but they are a far cry from being right.  They aren't reporting objectively.  They are presenting the facts in a manner that speaks between the lines something that isn't true.

Here's what I pull out of what they are saying:

1)  Nintendo isn't doing well.
2)  Nintendo needs to make M rated games to succeed, and fans will appreciate that.
3)  PS2 and Xbox are superior consoles because of Nintendo's negligence.
4)  Games shouldn't be made for all ages.

All 4 of those points are hideously wrong.  That's what I am objecting to.  They don't come out and say it, but take a look at the article.  All those are implied.

EDIT:  Added #4.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2003, 03:01:01 PM »
yeah i see it.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 03:42:06 PM »

plans to launch the PSP, a handheld capable of playing PS2 games, by late 2004.

Did I miss something or what?  When was it announced that the PSP would play PS2 games, I thought it would use smaller disc's inside of cartridges?
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003, 03:53:05 PM »
Dont get too worried, Grey ninja, as it's more and more apparent that we are becoming the mainstream, and people like that are becoming the outcasts.  Outcasts in the sense that that 'reporter ' obviously doesn't know jack about gaming, and just reads other articles from his misinformed brethren, instead of actually living the gaming life like we do.  And the hype machine just rolls along...
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2003, 05:30:53 PM »
So...what's wrong with this article?  The writer wrote the facts, not his or her opinion.  Yes, he or she did say good things about Nintendo, such as how it secured MGS.  And most of those opinions of what Nintendo has to do came from analysts, not the writer.  Notice, however, Iwata seemed to have a good amount of say in this article.  It was not just negative analysts spewing opinions.  

The ending of the article came off on a positive note however.  Read the ending again.  Anything negative there?  I did not find any.  It basically implied Nintendo will fight for their position again.

The only ignorant statements were:  

" Nintendo seems to think those 11-year-olds will buy multiplayer games."

"I don't think Nintendo is here for the digital-entertainment revolution," says Robert J. Bach, Microsoft's Xbox chief. "They are a toy company."

Robert J. Bach is clearly a (put any expletive here), but that statement did not hurt the article at all.  Even an average gamer would not be effected by this statement as he or she will know Bach just said that statement seeing as how his company(Microsoft) and Nintendo are enemies.  And it especially did not have an effect on the ending.

However, one issue must be addressed:

This article is not about the quality of games on the systems.  This article is about BUSINESS.  Period.

Oh, and Grey Ninja, Nintendo isn't doing well.  They fell below their expectations.  
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2003, 05:39:16 PM »
"Oh, and Grey Ninja, Nintendo isn't doing well. They fell below their expectations."

And Sony is at a seven year low in terms of their stock value... whats the point? World economy ain't doing to hot, but still Nintendo is #1 in terms of video game profits out of the three, no doubt about that. Just beacuse they failed to meet their expectations doesn't mean they still aren't making the green.  
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline AERO

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2003, 05:51:51 PM »
In the words of Jesus. You Hypocrites! Xbox and PS2 are some how the bad guys for doing good. Have someone in the room smack you for believing that nintendo can do no wronge and there choices are always right, and what other companies do is therefore wronge.  

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2003, 06:32:05 PM »
And AERO comes off like an ass, once again.  The fact is, if we're going by business, then Nintendo IS doing the best BUSINESS.  The statements in that article make it sound as though they're going the way of Sega, when in fact, they make the most money out of the three(in home console biz.)  Could they be doing better?  Absolutely.  But they are in fact rather healthy, and are going to stay in the console business, no matter what some jack-ass says in an article.  And where did anyone mention the PS2 and XBOX doing bad as opposed to good?
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2003, 10:55:02 AM »
Its all in the spin.

And this really isn't mainstreme press because most people don't go to a business site to learn about things.

You want a mainstreme source my local Fox station ran a commercial for a segement that made it sound like they are going to cover the new games at E3 that were at E3. All it ended up being was a segment on the Eyecandy add on for the PS2 and that was it.  
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2003, 11:11:39 AM »
I completely agree with Grey Ninja- unless you're part of the industry, whether that be actually making games or playing them a lot, you shoudln't be reporting about videogames. It's so much different than any other industry you HAVE to be apart of it to really be accurate, but apparently that's not obvious to most publications who just want to increase their readership of teenage boys, since that demographic seems to be the most popular advertising wise. I've heard so many spellings of doom for Nintendo I've given up on reading any videogame publicatuion except for a select few internet sites and the occasional EGM. Well said, Grey Ninja. I also agree with what Omen said above me.

"Robert J. Bach is clearly a (put any expletive here), but that statement did not hurt the article at all."

It hurts the entire integrity of the article when you get Nintendo's competitor to comment on Nintendo- it shows that the author of the article had a goal in mind, which is to convince the reader that Nintendo is failing, so they used a quote from Microsoft to prove that point.

"Even an average gamer would not be effected by this statement as he or she will know Bach just said that statement seeing as how his company(Microsoft) and Nintendo are enemies. And it especially did not have an effect on the ending."

No, you're just good at figuring out when the author's being completely biased. While you are able to recognize that a comment on Nintendo's future from Microsoft holds no water whatsoever, the average reader would NOT. Microsoft is seen as an authority in electronics, so whatever they say must be true!

And why are you talking about ending, as if we were reading a story book? This is an article, which has an aim from the beginning of the article and tries to prove a point the whole way through- think of it rather as building project rather than a winding path through a story. Articles don't have plot twists and they don't have endings in the sense you're trying to convey.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2003, 11:26:22 AM »

Originally posted by: Hedorah64
"Oh, and Grey Ninja, Nintendo isn't doing well. They fell below their expectations."

And Sony is at a seven year low in terms of their stock value... whats the point? World economy ain't doing to hot, but still Nintendo is #1 in terms of video game profits out of the three, no doubt about that. Just beacuse they failed to meet their expectations doesn't mean they still aren't making the green.

First of all, Sony wasn't even mentioned in this.  Second of all, yes, the world economy is sucking now.  Lastly, allow me to elaborate on why Nintendo isn't doing well.  

They fell below their expectations.  Their stock value is dropping.  They made less profit than predicted.  Sure, they are the best video gaming company in terms of profit, but if they don't cover up this hole soon, their stock value will continue to drop and pretty soon, profit.  Yes, as of now, they are "making the green."  If they do not dig themselves out of this rut, they are eventually gonna get bit in the ass with drastic drops in profit.  

That is why Nintendo ain't doing so well.

Expectations are important.  It keeps your stockholders happy if you meet those expectations and raises the value of your stock.  Not only that, but it makes the future of your company look promising.  
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2003, 12:30:31 PM »
Mouseclicker, Omen, Hedorah64, thanks for seeing what I was trying to say.

Nintendo's profits did drop recently, but so did every other video game company out there.  The one exception seems to be Namco, who did way better than they had anticipated.  The point is that they are still making a PROFIT.  Xbox was still losing money for Microsoft last time I checked.  PS2 is also making a profit, but it's not as high as Nintendo's.

The thing is that Nintendo is still doing quite well, regardless of that stuff.  They have a great console accepted by hardcore gamers, they have a great lineup for this coming year which has the internet buzzing with anticipation, and they have a pretty solid userbase at this point.

Microsoft STILL hasn't gained support from the hardcore gamers among us, they have a lineup consisting of one or two games every year, and the only area that they are doing particularly well is in North America, where GameCube isn't far behind.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2003, 02:20:04 PM »
On the one hand, I agree with Grey Ninja on the subject of Nintendo losing money- the world economy is in a pickle and we're seeing a recoil from major international companies. On the other hand, though, I also see Ninja X's point- lately Nintendo's been loosing ground because of reasons other than a stagnant economy. They're slowing gaining it back, but there's no doubt it happened. However, saying Nintendo's failing, as this article so clearly does, is ludicrous- despite the fact Nintendo HAS been losing money, be it the economy or otherwise, they're still making a lot more than everybody else and I think they're going to put that to good use.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline NintendoKiD

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2003, 02:29:27 PM »
Why do people care so much about other companies and people. Seriously, what kind of loser ass reporter says HEY LET ME DO A REPORT ON NINTENDO LOSING MONEY BECAUSE SO MANY PEOPLE CARE!! Mainstream sucks, just leave it at that (take that 50 cent fans!) I could careless how much money Nintendo makes or loses, if they are in #1 in sales or #101, they provide me with the games I love and therefore I am happy.
Currently Playing

PS2 - Devil May Cry, Red Faction 2, WWE Shut Your Mouth.

NES - Legend of Zelda, Alien 3

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2003, 04:07:41 PM »
Xbox execs talk total *******!!! Seriously, calling Nintendo a "toy" company is childish!
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2003, 04:12:56 PM »
Although the reporter is quick to point out that Nintendo is less...ahem..."mainstream" (Sorry, I hate that term.), and that Xbox and PS2 have this and that, he does not point out that Microsoft is making a much smaller profit off the Xbox, while the DVD-less Gamecube and the might of the GB family of systems are making a lot of money.
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2003, 06:07:10 PM »
The report was fine. A normal gamer wouldn't divulge himself as much as we do.

Enjoy what Nintendo offers, and enjoy it until it ends. As long as they deliver the games, I'll be playing those games.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2003, 08:18:33 PM »

Originally posted by: nitsujdark

plans to launch the PSP, a handheld capable of playing PS2 games, by late 2004.

Did I miss something or what?  When was it announced that the PSP would play PS2 games, I thought it would use smaller disc's inside of cartridges?

Yeah, the media for the PSP (the only thing shown) is neither CD or DVD from what I understand.  As for the power of the unit itself, I thought the going belief was that it was between the PS1 and PS2 in terms of power.