Author Topic: EDITORIAL: The Lost Innovations  (Read 10229 times)

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: EDITORIAL: The Lost Innovations
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2005, 06:58:22 PM »
The Lion King was the first movie ever that made me cry.
Nintendogs will sell like crazy.

Rick's right, though. Emotional game characters; characters that have an actual life, would be quite an achievement indeed. Awesome realistic graphics are....well....awesome, but making these complex meshes of polygons into beings that we can relate to is the key - not that it hasn't been done before.
WW is a great example, as the characters do have GREAT emotion animations, but, like Majora's Mask, their activities are merely scripted. The life of the villager is nothing more than to 'walk to that mailbox everyday', or 'stand there day and night until Link talks to you'. I've never played Pikmin, though. Granted, you can't have TRUE unscripted AI.
Some ideas popped into my head about game characters that have a 'life' in the game, but i tend do babble when i explain things hahahaha.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline chrisbg99

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2005, 07:46:12 PM »
Wasn't it Miyamoto who said something along the lines of making a motion look credible as opposed to animating every little movement of that motion?

Offline WackerJr

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2005, 01:38:56 AM »
It touches upon that old games vs movies arguement. The points I'm going to make are going to echo what's already been said, but I'm sure I really want my videogames to be just like real life. I play games to escape reality. Yes, I like to create an emotional bond with characters in the game, and care for them, but does the game have to be uber-realistic to do that?

When I played old-school Sonic or Mario, I didn't like dying, but you always remember their expression as they "hopped" out of the screen and although not funny per se, it was reassuring in the way it wasn't an "I'm dead that's it" expression, it was more an "oops, oh no" kind of thing (does that make any sense!). If my character was completely realistic, when I lost a life it could be scarring to some youngsters as it would seem so true to life.

Plus, the development time to create games which had such complex AI and graphics, it would not leave much space in the market for the smaller developers, who are already having a hard time of it anyway!

Well that's kind of my 2 cents, certainly not an arguement with any of the points made in the article, but proof that it has made me think about what could happen to the games market in the future.