Author Topic: Harvest Moon AWL: Ask a question, get an answer!  (Read 14653 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Harvest Moon AWL: Ask a question, get an answer!
« on: February 28, 2004, 05:22:30 PM »
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life comes out on or about March 16, and I've got a near-final build.  As I continue to play and formulate my review, please use this thread to ask any questions you may have about the game.  Check the previous questions and answers before you post new ones, so I don't have to constantly repeat myself.  Okay, ask away!

Link to my impressions.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Syl

• O_o
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Harvest Moon AWL: Ask a question, get an answer!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 06:27:25 PM »
Alright, heres quite a few of them.
I'm not sure if you can answer the majority of them, considering you haven't played a HM game before, but i'll try anyway.

First, you mentioned each day taking around 30 minutes, thats a HUGE increase from previous harvest moon games, whats the second to minute ratio if you know?   Harvest Moon 64 was roughly 5 minute days, Harvest Moon: FOMT is roughly 10ish minute days..

Im guessing with the increased daytime, and the fact that the game is so many years long, How long each is year?  they had to seriously cut down on the year time so the game is plausible long.

Likewise, i mentioned hearing something on multi-season crops, do these really exist? and can some crops actually be harvested in winter?

Who's your love interest? =p

Have you came across..wahtever it is.. that allows you to cross breed seed types?  How does that work?

you also mentioned having to water twice in  a day, something else new for harvest moon games.. how do you know when to water them again?

oh, have you came across any harvest sprites?  what do they do?

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
RE:Harvest Moon AWL: Ask a question, get an answer!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 07:23:21 PM »
O.k while reading your impressions you seemed to come off as the type who really doesnt dig HM that much.

O.K , I know you really cant rate the game YET , but in terms of things to do and fun factor , what wins HM or AC ?
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004, 08:22:29 PM »

Originally posted by: Syl_Aran
First, you mentioned each day taking around 30 minutes, thats a HUGE increase from previous harvest moon games, whats the second to minute ratio if you know?   Harvest Moon 64 was roughly 5 minute days, Harvest Moon: FOMT is roughly 10ish minute days.  Im guessing with the increased daytime, and the fact that the game is so many years long, How long each is year?  they had to seriously cut down on the year time so the game is plausible long.

Each real second is one game minute.  There are 24 hours in a day, though realistically, you have to sleep for at least some of that time.  You sleep for six-hour intervals, which seems a bit short.  Sometimes I will go to bed early and sleep twice, so I'm not up at 3AM doing farmwork.  Plus, you don't get so tired if you sleep.  Anyway, there are ten days in each season, and four seasons per year.  So, assuming you sleep twelve hours each night, that's 30 min (real) x 10 days (game) x 4 seasons (game) = 20 hours of playing per game year, give or take.  I don't think you are expected to play more than two or three game years, although the game probably lets you go on for as long as you want to.

Likewise, i mentioned hearing something on multi-season crops, do these really exist? and can some crops actually be harvested in winter?

Yes, most crops grow in at least two seasons.  Some of them grow slowly, so you may have to plant in early summer and harvest in late fall.  The only single-season crop I know of is sweet potatoes; they grow only in the fall, so you have to plant on the first day to harvest a healthy crop before the winter begins.  Carrots are harvested in winter, and I believe strawberries are too.

Who's your love interest? =p

I don't understand this part of the game very well yet, as it seems the only thing I can do to build a relationship is offer flowers.  That seems pretty limited.  Anyway, there are three potential brides in the game, and it seems you will end up with one of them by the end of the first year, even if you are shy about proposing.  Celia is a farm girl who is very practical; Muffy is a stereotypical blonde, very pretty but also shallow (and "easy"); Nami is a tough red-head who scoffs at traditional tactics.

Have you came across..wahtever it is.. that allows you to cross breed seed types?  How does that work?

There is a seed machine which will do this, but it costs 6000 G and I haven't been able to afford it yet.  Right now, I prefer concentrating on my animals anyway.  The crops are a lot of work and don't seem to yield much profit.

also mentioned having to water twice in  a day, something else new for harvest moon games.. how do you know when to water them again?

You only have to water twice per day in the summer, when it is very hot and dry.  The color of the soil plots will make it pretty clear whether more water is needed.

have you came across any harvest sprites?  what do they do?

Yes, they live near my farm.  They give you the blue feather at the start of summer, which lets you propose to a girl.  They also announce when an animal has been born on your farm.  Otherwise, they hang out in their treehouse and just talk nonsense when you visit.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2004, 08:22:34 PM »
How does the game rate as far as depth compared to other games in the series?  I.e., is the world very detailed?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 08:25:52 PM »

Originally posted by: akdaman1
O.k while reading your impressions you seemed to come off as the type who really doesnt dig HM that much.

Actually, I am enjoying it quite a bit, and it's very addictive.  But I do think it's boring, in the same way that fishing is boring.  There just isn't much going on, but you can still have a good time because it's simple and relaxing and satisfying.  I think this is probably the feeling the developers intended to get across.  The game is very serene.

O.K , I know you really cant rate the game YET , but in terms of things to do and fun factor , what wins HM or AC ?

Sorry, I forced myself to skip Animal Crossing, so it wouldn't affect my work in school or on the site.  I know a good bit about the game and how it is played, but I have intentionally avoided playing it myself.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 08:28:44 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldShadow1
How does the game rate as far as depth compared to other games in the series?  I.e., is the world very detailed?

Sorry, this is my first Harvest Moon game, so I can't compare it to the other ones in the series.  I could probably give you some idea of its depth, however, if you could be more specific with your question or give me some examples from the earlier games.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2004, 08:55:31 PM »
Hm, if one minute is one second, shouldn't 24 hours translate into 24 minutes? If you sleep half of that, wouldn't one day be 12 minutes, not 30?

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2004, 11:03:15 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Hm, if one minute is one second, shouldn't 24 hours translate into 24 minutes? If you sleep half of that, wouldn't one day be 12 minutes, not 30?

You think too much , and thanks JohhnyBoy for your anwsers.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2004, 04:40:56 AM »
Jonny, the game itself is supposed to last 30 years, thats why the amount of time in a day really surprised me.  
In HM:FOMT (GBA one) 5 seconds = 10 minutes of gametime.

The Marriage aspect isn't that difficult, just talk to the girl you want every day, find out what she really likes and repeatedly give her presents.  The Harvest Sprites don't seem as useful as they are in FOMT (where you could train them to water/harvest/feed animals for you) but thats alright to begin with.  

You already have a cow?  Thats strange.. those things usually take a lot of money to buy...and are hard to afford the first year or so.  I'm very curious to see what they've changed..

The release date is still 3-16, right?

Offline WhoDey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2004, 04:50:03 AM »
Okay, I've read that the game takes up 47 memory blocks on a memory card. How many save slots do you get with those 47 blocks?

Do you know how many different crops you can grow, or about how many?

Have you come across anything related to linking up with the GBA game? I've stumbled upon where to go in the GBA game by accident. Just wondering if it's kind of hidden in the GC game or if it's a feature made available from the start?

Can you catch insects/animals?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2004, 05:55:20 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k

How embarrassing.  Yes, you're right...although it seems longer than 12 minutes, maybe because sometimes I only sleep once, for six hours.  Also, time stops running whenever you are in a menu or in a conversation, which is very often.  So the actual time spent playing each day is a good bit longer.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2004, 05:58:18 AM »

You already have a cow?  Thats strange.. those things usually take a lot of money to buy...and are hard to afford the first year or so.  I'm very curious to see what they've changed..

The farm starts out with a cow already in the barn.  You are also given some heavy (crappy) tools, including a hoe, a sickle, a milking funnel, and a small watering can.  That's about it.  Once summer starts, your uncle will also give you a horse, whose only purpose seems to be as a means of transportation.  It's certainly much faster than walking on foot.

The release date is still 3-16, right?

Yes, as far as I know.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2004, 06:18:30 AM »

Originally posted by: WhoDey
Okay, I've read that the game takes up 47 memory blocks on a memory card. How many save slots do you get with those 47 blocks?

Yes, it uses 47 blocks and you get two save slots with that.

Do you know how many different crops you can grow, or about how many?

I have seen about fifteen, maybe twenty kinds of seeds for sale.  You may be able to create others with the seed machine.

Have you come across anything related to linking up with the GBA game? I've stumbled upon where to go in the GBA game by accident. Just wondering if it's kind of hidden in the GC game or if it's a feature made available from the start?

There is a road leading out of the valley.  If you try walking that way, the Harvest Sprites will show up and tell you that the road leads to Mineral Town, and that you need to link to the GBA game to get there.  You can apparently do it whenever you want, even right at the beginning of the game.  I don't have the GBA version, unfortunately, so I can't try it.

Can you catch insects/animals?

You can catch fish once you buy a fishing pole.  Otherwise no, I haven't seen any way of catching insects or wild animals.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2004, 06:46:18 AM »
What is the fishing like (if it's there at all) in AWL? It was pretty basic on the N64, nothing like The Ocarina of Time's fishing.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2004, 08:20:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Berny
What is the fishing like (if it's there at all) in AWL? It was pretty basic on the N64, nothing like The Ocarina of Time's fishing.

It's very, very simple in AWL.  You just pull out your fishing rod, get near a body of water, and press A.  The line will be cast, and you watch your bob until you get a bite or get tired of waiting and pull back in.  When a fish bites, it's pretty obvious, and you just have to press A once to reel it in.  Whether it comes off the line or not seems to be a matter of luck, but it's only happened to me once.  The kind of fish you get is determined by location and luck.  The places to fish are a small pond, a small swamp, and a large creek that leads up to a waterfall.  There is a beach near the village, but you can't fish there.  I guess it's just for looks.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2004, 10:43:08 AM »
47 blocks? shoot.. guess thats where my extra memory card is going.. im gonna have to buy another 251..

Have you came across any festivals at all? I know they aren't in the japanese version, but i heard that part of the reason for the massive delay of the american one is because they were adding them back in.
Also, any major Engrish? natsume is famous for that.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2004, 05:34:15 PM »

Have you came across any festivals at all? I know they aren't in the japanese version, but i heard that part of the reason for the massive delay of the american one is because they were adding them back in.

Haven't seen one yet, but I haven't been through a whole year yet.  I would imagine there's one in the winter, if it's going to happen.

Also, any major Engrish? natsume is famous for that.

Nothing too embarrassing, but there are some awkward comments here and there, and there are many conversations that seem completely out of context.  I'm told by Natsume that some of the grammar is being tweaked before the game goes gold, so I can't say too much because my version isn't authoritative on this matter.  Zosha and/or Dan will be reviewing the final retail version, so they'll be reporting in on the writing.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Yengwa

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2004, 03:51:31 AM »
I had heard something about you being a girl in the game. But since you didn't mention it, I guess it's not true. So, can you be a girl?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2004, 06:27:16 AM »

Originally posted by: Yengwa
I had heard something about you being a girl in the game. But since you didn't mention it, I guess it's not true. So, can you be a girl?

No, not unless it's a secret feature that is unlocked later in the game.  But I doubt that.  Natsume is currently working on a version of the GBA game for girls, and I would imagine they'll consider doing the same for the GameCube version if it sells well.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2004, 07:21:44 AM »
i've never played a harvest moon game, so this might be a question that can be answered by anyone who's played one.

does the gameplay allow you to explore, fish, visit the village, and other types of general bumming around, or are you constricted to spending the majority of the time doing farm work?  my biggest concern is there will be too much to do and not enough time in a day to do it.  there's a certain amount of farm work that will need to be done each day to run a successful farm, and i'm worried that there won't be enough time in the day to do other stuff.  if i choose to spend a day fishing, or an afternoon courting a young lass, will i wake up the next morning to a bunch of brown crops and a pile of dead farm animals?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2004, 08:33:26 AM »
It does restrict you to doing these things , and its really annoying , because I try to go out fishing but by the time I get to the lake and do ma thang the day will be gone.

However if u were to skip feeding your dogs , sheep etc and not water ur crops then they will be dead the next morning.

However , I honestly feel that this system works better than AC because AC FORCED you to play everysingleday.

Do you want my opinion Kingvudu ? ....This game is like Jonny said , simple but addicting. You MUST put this into your collection , it is bound to be a great game and is worth your $50 american dollers and more.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2004, 08:42:02 AM »
actually, the single reason i never got into animal crossing was because it did force you to play every day.  because of my schedule, i can really only play video games (a) during the week and (b) during the early evening hours.  this made it impossible for me to be able to get everything out of animal crossing because stores would be closed, it would always be night, etc.  plus, i'm a collection whore, so it would just bug the hell out of me if i couldn't get every single solitary thing in the game.

lucky for me, twin snakes comes out a week before harvest moon, so i'll be tied up in that game for the first couple weeks of harvest moon's release.  that should give me time to read reviews and form my opinion as to whether or not i'll get the game.  and, for the record, i believe the game is retailing at $40 usd, not $50.  so that makes it a little easier on the pocketbook.  (i'm really digging this $40 price tag many games are coming out with these days.  way to go, nintendo.)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Use Soap

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2004, 09:19:57 AM »
Now one big worry I have is that the game will haved that stupind interface from HM64 where you need to go into the menu everytime you need a freakin' tool! Is this the same in HM:AWL, or is it more akin to its PS1 cousin, where theshoulder buttons were used to change the tool?
Also what did you name your cow and dog?
Tyler Durden Says: Use Soap
One time at band camp, I shoved a kazoo up my nose and now I can do this (TWEEEEEET) Wicked Awesome

Offline FROSTIC*!

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2004, 10:27:50 AM »
Hello, PGC director guy. I know too much about the game, it's nearly spoiled for me... so I might as well spoil the dialogue as well.

Is the dialogue extremely repetative? Will I end up having to endure people saying stupid things like "Do not work to hard."?

Another thing, IGN reported that there was a twist to the english version that wasn't in the Japanese version... I doubt you'll know for sure (seeing you're not a sick, religious follower like me), but any information on this would be truly helpful. I'm guessing it has something to do with dialogue, seeing Natsume only translates and publishes the game and couldn't program their way out of a paper bag.
You there. Yes, you. If you like Harvest Moon, you're to visit

http://hmotaku.net
for information and

http://hmforums.net
for discussion.