Author Topic: The lifespan of your Gamecube.  (Read 9984 times)

Offline THE_BLINK_EFFECT

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
The lifespan of your Gamecube.
« on: December 07, 2003, 08:57:52 PM »
How long will your Gamecube last before having technical problems, my psone has been suffering technical problems lately and owned that for 4 years and owned my GC 4 4 months.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: The lifespan of your Gamecube.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 09:43:22 PM »
My first GCN was bought Day1 of the U.S. launch.  It died in June 2003, well beyond the warranty period, so I bought a 2nd one.  I do take my Cube on trips every weekend.  Put in a bag, drive to friend's house an hour away, drive back to my apartment the next day.

:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 09:44:55 PM »
From last christmas to undetermined.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
RE:The lifespan of your Gamecube.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 12:07:56 AM »
Got it on launch day, still working fine.
"wow."

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 05:52:56 AM »
I got mine in november or december(the year it launched) .  Just died about a month or so ago.  It had a lot of dust in it so it wasnt really hardware failure.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline THE_BLINK_EFFECT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 09:47:13 PM »
Why dont you take it apart and clean it?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 04:00:26 AM »
Perhaps it already burned?

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 06:00:27 AM »
launch and still working like a top, (Knocks on wood)
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2003, 12:33:43 PM »
I have a brand new one nowwith the zelda bonus disc , I have no need to clean it.  Plus I just threw it in a hole with more dirt.  I dont think it can be revived.  Rest In Peace my little friend.  
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2003, 12:40:57 PM »
From December of release year (Merry Christmas!) and nothing has happened yet.  Nintendo's systems usually last.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2003, 06:21:09 PM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
From December of release year (Merry Christmas!) and nothing has happened yet.

Same here.

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2003, 06:44:50 AM »
November 18, 2001 12:01 AM EST to the present... ^_^
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2003, 08:08:25 AM »
I've had mine since launch day.  I have had a grand total of 2 "cannot read disc" errors.  I haven't had one in over 6 months though.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2003, 09:48:03 AM »
Well, LoZ: WW doesn't work for me (can't read disk error) but it's only that game, so I assume it's the disk.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Aslan the Lion

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2003, 09:37:01 PM »
Bought sometime on Sunday November 18th, 2001.  Still works to this day.  No disc read errors, no freezes, no skips.  Darn near perfection, compared to the PS2s I see returned everyday at work.  Usually between 4 months and a year for them.  Oh well... get's SCEA more sales.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2003, 08:42:00 PM »
Unfortunately, no disc based system lasts forever.  I suggest keeping your eyes peeled in a couple years, and picking up a backup GC when they're $50.  I'd just leave it in the box until the first one breaks.  --Unless the next system is backwards compatible of course.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline dee kay

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2003, 11:25:15 AM »
yeh i got my gc in australian release day (may 2002) and ihavnt had any troubles at all with it.  

Offline richie086

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2004, 03:43:25 PM »
the idea that two years is the expected life span of a disc based system is wrong.. I've owned my ps2 for 2 years, and it was used for two years before i bought it (so a total of 4 years) and it works fine..

Think if your PC that your using right now totally broke every two years?  Little things might mess up over that time period but the likleyhood that your computer will totally break to the point it's not possible to use it is pretty small.

A friend of mine has now had two gamecubes die on him in less than one year.. The first one he got died within 30 minutes (he got the "There has been an error, pls consult your manual..." message) and he had to return it for a new one.  Then a few days ago we were playing mario kart and it happens again..  He has never opened the outer shell, tryed to mod it.. It's not in a room where people are smoking and he has no pets.  Nintendo really needs to get there act together IMHO..

Offline jaz013

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2004, 05:21:11 AM »
My firts GC last from January 2002 to May 2003. I still think something get into the systems, since it still starts normally and the problem it's the "Can't read disk" message, but it is really variable (15 min. to 1.5 hours). I got a new one (Platinum) last August, so far only one freeze (in the baths area of Prince of Persia), but still knock on wood.... .  
“Stultorum infinitus est numerus” (El número de tontos es infinito. The number of fools is infinitum)-Eclesiastés, I, 15.

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2004, 10:37:56 AM »

Originally posted by: richie086
Think if your PC that your using right now totally broke every two years?  Little things might mess up over that time period but the likleyhood that your computer will totally break to the point it's not possible to use it is pretty small.

Using a PC everyday is slightly different than playing a disc based console every day.  95% of the time using your computer, the disc drive sits idle (assuming most people just do internet stuff).  However, while playing video games, the drive is hardly ever idle.  Now, take this into consideration, a regular cd-rom drive might last forever, but in general, cd-writers last only 12-18 months.  now, this isn't saying that i've bought low-end drives that crapped out, but cd-writers generate more ( read A LOT MORE ) heat than a regular cd-rom drive, and generally don't last more than 2 years.  as a PC technician, i would guess that about 75% of the cd-writers that we replace are between 12 and 18 months old.  i would guess that the heat generated by a cd-writer is more comparable to the longer use of a console system.  so, 2 years sounds pretty dam good for an average lifespan.  so, sorry to shoot that idea in the foot, but the use of a computer cd-rom drive and a disc based console is vastly too different to compare in such a general sense.

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2004, 04:51:28 AM »
What part of the GCN is crapping out? Is it the laser, lens tracking, or is the drives motor becoming inconsitent with speed? I've heard the hub has issues with holding the disc down after awhile. And to contribute to the statistics gathering, I've had mine since May and haven't experienced any problem [except lock-ups in OoT/MM, but that doesn't count].
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2004, 12:11:07 PM »
Mine works perfectly.  It has the odd scratch here and there, and it's had a few problems with crashing due to it getting too dusty, but it works absolutely flawlessly aside from those easily-fixed/ignored factors.

Offline Metroid masked

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2004, 10:28:25 PM »
i bought mine about 6 months ago at EB preowned and i havent had a problem yet