Author Topic: Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy Rocks!!!  (Read 3688 times)

Offline CreedDBZ

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy Rocks!!!
« on: November 22, 2003, 05:55:45 PM »
I just picked this game up today and I have to say it absolutely kicks major booty!!!  With that being the case im wondering why no one has really been talking about it, especially on PGC.  The graphics are great, gameplay is sweet, and the audio rocks.  Yeah it may not have any voice acting, but it doesnt kill the game like some reviews have made it out to.  My suggestion to everyone is if you like Zelda style games go drop the $40 to pick this one up.  I highly doubt you will be dissapointed!!!
The Hunter is among us ...

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy Rocks!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2003, 12:54:28 PM »
maybe because people are gonna buy other games.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline davidctaylor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 08:52:09 AM »
I'm curious about this game too.  I've seen a review that compares it to a Zelda-style game.  Is it anywhere close to being as good as a Zelda game?
David Taylor
* First there was Pong.
* Then Intellivision.
* Next came my Commodore 64.
* I loved Super Mario on my old NES.
* I really liked my PS1 too.
* Ahh, but my GameCube and DS Lite rock.
* --spot reserved for Wii comment--

Offline Ocarina_Jedi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 12:28:04 PM »
I also plan on getting this game.  I haven't heard from any source that it was not a good game.  I've heard that though it plays out very similar to a Zelda game, it is nowhere near as good (For obvious reasons).  Still, it sounds good enough.
I've gotta say what I've gotta say, and then I swear I'll go away, but I can't promise you'll enjoy the noise.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 12:55:00 PM »
well its made by eurocom so you can expect a goo solid engine and some british style. Its actually amazing though...a publisher is let eurocom design their own game Iv had my eye on the company for a long time. This should be  game of quality..prolly not as good as a hot girl charging in your room then proceding to rip off your pants and give you oral pleasure but it looks fun.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy Rocks!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 12:58:40 PM »
Check it out because it's an action-adventure, and because you like action-adventures.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ocarina_Jedi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2003, 12:19:52 PM »
okay i picked up the game yesterday, and here is what i have to say about it:
it is good.  Thats basically what it comes down to.  its not great but it is good.  if you like action adventure games like zelda, this is a game for you.  Right now, id say my only issue with it is that the camera has some problems.  still if you like this kind of game, this one is worth it.
I've gotta say what I've gotta say, and then I swear I'll go away, but I can't promise you'll enjoy the noise.

Offline Ocarina_Jedi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2003, 11:57:47 AM »
Wow, this is an extemely short game.  I beat it in like a week (roughly 15 hours).  There was a good story for it, but all of a sudden, it just ends.  The game starts pretty slow, but then it picks up speed, and before you know it, you're done.  And there were only 4 bosses, including the final boss.  Even Wind Waker had more than that!  Still, with such an open ending (you have no idea how open), there will probably be a sequel.  But it was fun, and that's all that counts really.

Offline RareWare

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2003, 12:29:19 PM »
I was looking to get this game, but I guess I'll wait till the price drops...  Oh well.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2003, 01:54:28 PM »
I hate the game.  It's one big boring treasure hunt.  I preferred Star Fox Adventures to Sphinx, and I am really not a fan of SFA.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Rob91883

• (Bro Dude)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2003, 04:02:49 PM »
I heard that the fun part is when your playing as a mummy, is that a fair statemant about the game?  
MINKA would say," Whooo iz numba wan!!!??"

Im from California, sorry if I say dude a lot.

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2003, 07:39:24 PM »
I think too much just came out at once in November. Not that I'm complaining, but Mario Kart, Mario&Luigi, POP, BG&E, Sphinx, 1080, NFS, SSX3, Mario Party 5 etc. And I'm still playing with Viewtiful Joe and F-Zero too. Can't imagine what woulda happened if MGS:TTS, FF:CC, and Pikmin 2 hadn't been delayed. Strange that E3 seemed so disappointing when so many sweet titles were on their way out this year. Strangely, I wouldn't mind a nice shortage of games for awhile so I can finish a couple of the ones on my shelf.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2003, 07:46:28 PM »
well i sfa was a well made game..but it was barely fun....my friend who is hardcore ninty bias loved it. I don't hate it because rareware jumped ship i hated it because of all the "busy work" it made you do. It wasn't a game that said lets put the player through soe cool situations and allow him to have fun ...it was lets repeatedly piss the gamer off with illogical goals and concepts and we'll hide those flame spots so that even if the player was looking in the right place he wouldn't ever see it unless he was standing perfectly in the same spot allowing him to be stuck there for an hour untill he tries again in frustration looking for the damned flame spot untill he stands...and this is the only place to visibly see it..... right in front of the locked door...there is no way however to see it in the entire 15 by 9 feet room except this......so even if he knows what to do by instinct we'll just make it seem like its not what he's supposed to do because (he did look an hour ago...and hard)....were just a bunch of assholes.....erm....ugh anyways.....yeah sfa was ok...but not great

sphinx looks good...but its very hard to get the zelda formula right.

Offline Ocarina_Jedi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2003, 11:47:17 AM »
StarFox Adventures: good action/adventure game; TERRIBLE StarFox game.  I liked the game for what it really is: Zelda with fur who occassionaly jumps in a spaceship.  though the overworld did seem kinda small, the game had good length, and good yet, weird, story.  For the next entry in the series, we'd better see an actual StarFox game just like StarFox 64.  That one was awesome.
But back to Sphinx:  yes the Mummy sequences were good.  Very good.  I actually thought that some of the puzzles in Sphinx were the best I've seen in any game, even Zelda.  Also it was amusing to watch Mummy do all the weird stuff he does.  A few of his 'abilities' were kinda cool.

Offline Smashman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2003, 12:02:32 PM »
Star Fox Adventures was a great game. STOP COMPARING IT TO FORMER STAR FOX GAMES. Compare it to Zelda. lol.

I really don't know about this. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is what I prefer as a purchase.
I am the one and only Smashman. Don't believe me? Well, then. I shall entomb you!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2003, 12:12:38 PM »
lol i hate it when people compare it to other star fox games....the only relationship sfa really has to toehr star fox games is that it stars fox...yeah

anyways iv played prince of persia and its great...im not sure about sphinx...if your lookign for a solid action adventure game...then P.O.P..sphinx? Idn yet....rent it first.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2003, 01:20:26 PM »

Star Fox Adventures was a great game. STOP COMPARING IT TO FORMER STAR FOX GAMES.
Well that really can't be done.  It has the name "Star Fox" in the title so obviously it was meant to place the gamer in the Star Fox universe.  Immediately, upon reading the title, gamers will associate it with the past Star Fox games and even, take a deep breath, compare it to them.  An analogy I have to make is Super Mario Bros. to Super Mario Bros. 2.  Despite the gameplay being very different in 2, everyone was comparing it to 1 noting that they liked 1 better.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2003, 01:57:31 PM »
I don't hate Star Fox Adventures because it wasn't a Star Fox game.  I hated it because the game simply BORED ME to tears.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Ocarina_Jedi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2003, 11:31:49 AM »
Hey has anybody else played Sphinx all the way through yet?   There's something really bugging me now..
I was looking through my back issues of Game Informer, and I found where they did a feature article on Sphinx.  They talk about Sphinx being able to transorm into 'The Wrath of Ra".  I never had that ability in the game.  They also talk about a 'gorgeous' jungle level that I definetly never saw.  Did I miss something here, or did this game lose some potentially big stuff before its release?

Offline WhoDey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2003, 05:03:13 AM »

Originally posted by: kennyb27

Star Fox Adventures was a great game. STOP COMPARING IT TO FORMER STAR FOX GAMES.
Well that really can't be done.  It has the name "Star Fox" in the title so obviously it was meant to place the gamer in the Star Fox universe.  Immediately, upon reading the title, gamers will associate it with the past Star Fox games and even, take a deep breath, compare it to them.  An analogy I have to make is Super Mario Bros. to Super Mario Bros. 2.  Despite the gameplay being very different in 2, everyone was comparing it to 1 noting that they liked 1 better.

So what you are saying is that Mario 64 and Mario Golf have to be compared because they both have the name "Mario" in the title and take place in the Mario universe?