Author Topic: HD shooters FAIL!  (Read 12245 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: HD shooters FAIL!
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »
You can't take one screenshot from each game and say they're all exactly the same. I'll bet I could take a screenshot from Super Mario Galaxy and Halo 3 which looks similar.

I'll take that bet.
You make that happen and I will give you your 200 Wii points back.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2009, 06:41:48 PM »
You can't take one screenshot from each game and say they're all exactly the same. I'll bet I could take a screenshot from Super Mario Galaxy and Halo 3 which looks similar.

I would like to think I know what I'm talking about considering I own virtually every big FPS out there. The fact is that they share very similar artistic style, no way would SMG even look like Halo 3 from a screenshot. You do not need to look that hard to find environments that resemble each other on most major FPS games. The point is that realism is overshadowing artistic creativity in visual design, does that make the game necessarily bad? No but it is a FACT.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 06:43:26 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2009, 08:20:27 PM »
So why does The Conduit get such a pass from many (not all) Wii loyalists?  Sure, its not a grey/brown shooter, and its not HD, but the style of the characters and environments look like the same shooters we played around the turn of the century?  Why the double standard?  Hmmm....

I don't recall anyone defending the Conduit as a brilliant artistic achievement in visuals, feel free to find someone that said that.

After just a few minutes of browsing the conduit thread, one can find many examples of fans drueling over teh conduits graphx, despite its obvious generic style:

Even if it looks like a 360 FPS - Nemo

I will buy this game, because it is LOOKING GREAT. But it's le generic shooter, so it's got only a limited appeal to me.  - DAaaMan64

The hand and the ball-projector-thingy both look 360 quailty to me.  - Spinnzilla

And yes, even you GP:
This game is starting to look like a first-gen 360 game. It is amazing how each time a new trailer is released the game looks noticeably better. This better pay off for High Voltage because other developers need to get their butt kicked into gear and not slack off with visuals with lame excuses about the Wii's hardware  - GoldenPhoenix

And this is just NWR, a site with the most objective Nintendo fans.  Go anywhere else, and you'll find grown men telling you with a strait face that The Conduits graphics are better than Killzone 2.  The whole thing cracks me up really.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2009, 08:58:06 PM »
So why does The Conduit get such a pass from many (not all) Wii loyalists?  Sure, its not a grey/brown shooter, and its not HD, but the style of the characters and environments look like the same shooters we played around the turn of the century?  Why the double standard?  Hmmm....

I'm just STARTING to play the game right now and the visuals aren't terribly good, but I've heard the Conduit bashed nearly everywhere else.

And personally, I can enjoy a generic shooter once in a while, but only ONCE in a while.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2009, 09:05:13 PM »
I'm just STARTING to play the game right now and the visuals aren't terribly good, but I've heard the Conduit bashed nearly everywhere else.

And personally, I can enjoy a generic shooter once in a while, but only ONCE in a while.

Then you better play it to the end in one sitting.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2009, 11:25:56 PM »

I'll take that bet.
You make that happen and I will give you your 200 Wii points back.
If I owned both games I'd do it. Maybe someone like GoldenPhoenix could help you out there.

The point is that realism is overshadowing artistic creativity in visual design, does that make the game necessarily bad? No but it is a FACT.
I agree with this, and my comment wasn't directed at you anyway.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2009, 01:20:47 AM »
I would never say the Conduit looks like a 1st-gen Xbox 360 game, not even close. Quake 4 was a 1st-gen 360 FPS, and it looks way better than the Conduit, color scheme aside.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2009, 03:05:03 AM »
I'd compare The Conduit to FEAR in that it's extremely generic and set in boxy corridors full of generic gunfights. Quake 4 and Doom 3 were designed around normal mapping, including the environments so the scenery has loads of small details that utilize the NMs, The Conduit and FEAR are based on real environments which have mostly flat, large shapes which really don't benefit from normal mapping and just make the limits of the hardware apparent.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2009, 03:12:03 AM »
I'd compare The Conduit to FEAR in that it's extremely generic and set in boxy corridors full of generic gunfights. Quake 4 and Doom 3 were designed around normal mapping, including the environments so the scenery has loads of small details that utilize the NMs, The Conduit and FEAR are based on real environments which have mostly flat, large shapes which really don't benefit from normal mapping and just make the limits of the hardware apparent.

I'm not a big fan of FEAR (I played the first game and found it largely rather boring save the very beginning and very end), but I wouldn't compare those two so much.  For one thing, the FEAR games have relatively competent AI (rather than Conduit's system of "oh, we've spawned and now we'll run at you!" AI) and a fairly successful gimmick in the horror hallucinations.  The Conduit is just bland from beginning to end, and the gimmick it tries to spin (the ASE) just isn't used in any interesting fashion.  True, there's a certain amount of generic shooter action in both and the environments are kind of similar, but I'd play a FEAR game again long before I played any other generic shooter High Voltage decides to put out.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2009, 06:26:40 AM »
wow what a **** thread.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2009, 10:26:19 AM »
Is this the thread where we troll things?

Is trolling no longer a ban-able offense?

Can we unban people retroactively for trolling when even the mods join in?
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2009, 01:44:45 PM »
Lot of ugliness round these parts. Lot of ugliness. Be glad when the holidays come, people be to distracted by new games to fight about consoles.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2009, 01:59:44 PM »
Lot of ugliness round these parts. Lot of ugliness. Be glad when the holidays come, people be to distracted by new games to fight about consoles.
I find this comment funny because there are games to play and yet the fighting continues.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2009, 04:38:06 PM »
I find this comment funny because there are games to play and yet the fighting continues.

Can't a man have his delusions?

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2009, 07:31:41 PM »
I'm locking this trollbait thread.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog