Author Topic: Microsoft to release three versions of Xbox 2  (Read 11770 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE:Microsoft to release three versions of Xbox 2
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2005, 04:06:14 PM »
So what you're saying is that no matter what nintendo does they will continually be one step behind?  more specifically in a market that they were not exactly targeting.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Microsoft to release three versions of Xbox 2
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2005, 04:13:06 PM »
I don't think DVR is smart for game companies to go after.  Most digital cable and satellite services offer DVR units for a cheap monthly fee now, and people that want more advanced features go for Tivo.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Galford

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2005, 07:18:44 PM »
DVR, while not back breaking, could be one of those check-list items that goes against Nintendo in the long run.  

Both Sony and MS having been working on DVR with some limited success(MS more then Sony).  It wouldn't hurt Nintendo to team up with Matsushita on this front. A DVR unit will show that Nintendo is willing to play ball on any front with MS and Sony.

Here's the reality of future consumer electronics, everyone but Nintendo envisions consumer electonics being an all-in-one solution.  When I say everyone, I mean EVERYONE.  

Computer manufacturers, cable companies, consumer electronics companies...  
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2005, 03:46:17 AM »
I think Nintendo has to match everything that the competitors add.  It may up the price to 299$, but this is the position they put themselves in.  The GC is in a tailspin, and to recoup any market share , they will have to basically blow the pants offf of EVERYONE, not just Nintendo fans who will blindly buy the next console anyway.  I'm hearing some industry folks begin to speculate about the Revolution...and it's always a 'Wow!' type reaction.  But since I don't know specifics, I can only assume Nintendo is trying to truly revolutionize gaming.  So perhaps they have learned their lesson.  

Xbox 360 is all the rage right now, and Microsofts share is growing with every week that passes.  If MS wows people at E3, I think it's a foregone conclusion that the Xbox 360 will be hugely successful. People who own the Xbox staunchly support it, so I expect them to buy the next gen Xbox as well.  The problem for Nintendo is, Microsoft knows it's target audience, and markets directly to them.  Nintendo tries this 'everyone' marketing, and all that does is dillute the overall message.  People in the industry think the GC is a joke,(some still believe the PS2 is a better machine,technically, than the GC) and I just hope this Revolution can bring Nintendo back into being well respected for making incredible consoles.

Just to clrify what I mean, I had an argument with a fellow tester about RE4.  He said he'll just get it for PS2.  I said, 'well, you'll not get the same look'.  He actually thinks that the PS2 version will be a better game graphically.  This is the uphill battle that Nintendo faces.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2005, 07:07:24 AM »
If that price goes up to $300 just so they add every Joe Schmoe media player in it, I'm not buying the console I don't care WHO makes it.  Or if they're going to do that, there better be a $200 model without all the excess crap.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2005, 02:59:15 PM »
The excess crap is what attracts all the customers.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Talon

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2005, 08:31:56 PM »
Just  a thought, the version of the xbox next without a hdd might later on down the lifecycle have a hdd peripheral that you can plug into it.  That way for the games that require hdd support people can just buy the peripheral.  Not everyone maybe able to afford the xbox with the hdd from day one so offering it as a peripheral later on allows those people to not be excluded from the games that require it.

Just my two-cents
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end of Satan's rainbow?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2005, 12:19:41 PM »
I did mention that above, and also connected it with the old rumor of the Halo 2.5 released w/ the HDD (like FFXI)attachment for higher peripheral attachment rates.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2005, 04:23:09 PM »

So what you're saying is that no matter what nintendo does they will continually be one step behind? more specifically in a market that they were not exactly targeting.

I'm not saying Nintendo will be one step behind; I'm saying the gaming media (and "hardcore" gamers [= Madden dusches]) will stress Nintendo's lack of DVR capabilities to be one of the systems weak points... and let's face it, if those idiots out there who can tolerate buying a minimally upgraded engine EVERY F'ING YEAR think Nintendo isn't offering them enough bang with the Rev, then there will be some problems.

hopefully, Nintendo delivers with the Revolution and I wont even have to worry, because the idiot gamers will be so blown away by the new control interface that everything will be hunki dori

though it is appealing to be recording my fav. shows while I'm gaming....

lastly, why can't more concerned gamers stand up and protest EA's lack of innovation? We should be in an age of upgradeable rosters and downloadable content. Gamers shouldn't be forced to purchase a new sports title every year. They have little to no resale value and generally are a waste of cash.  
I'll shut up now...

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2005, 06:11:20 PM »

Originally posted by: Stimutacs Addict
They have little to no resale value and generally are a waste of cash.

I hardly look at any of my sports games as a waste of cash.  No one is making you buy them or even look at them.  I (and millions of others) will continue to enjoy both my Madden games and other great games like Paper Mario and Eternal Darkness.

-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2005, 09:04:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Stimutacs Addict
I'm not saying Nintendo will be one step behind; I'm saying the gaming media (and "hardcore" gamers [= Madden dusches]) will stress Nintendo's lack of DVR capabilities to be one of the systems weak points... and let's face it, if those idiots out there who can tolerate buying a minimally upgraded engine EVERY F'ING YEAR think Nintendo isn't offering them enough bang with the Rev, then there will be some problems.

hopefully, Nintendo delivers with the Revolution and I wont even have to worry, because the idiot gamers will be so blown away by the new control interface that everything will be hunki dori

though it is appealing to be recording my fav. shows while I'm gaming....

But Nintendo does have Panasonic, and even though they only dipped their toes in the water this time around with the Panasonic Q, they may actually be ready to dive in and swim right along Nintendo this upcoming generation.

They could provide the "premium" {DVR} version of the Rev that looks all high tech, and capture a part of the market that might not have been interested otherwise. With proper marketing* (unlike the Q) Nintendo might actually be taken serious as a provider of a next-gen gaming machine, instead of just a next-gen videogame toy maker.

*This time they would promote them both at the major events and let everyone know that a more feature rich version of what they want exist.

p.s. original message edited completely

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2005, 10:05:06 AM »
I personally don't care about DVR, but if Sony and MS offer it, I think it would be smart for Nintendo to do the same.  If Sony and MS are going to offer multiple versions of their systems, Nintendo could go in that direction too.  Frankly, I think Nintendo's main concern is and should be whatever makes the system Revolutionary, but to a consumer walking into a store to buy a game system with no previous knowledge, DVR could be a big selling point.

That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2005, 03:24:53 PM »
kennyb27 if you're down with the pee pants, then that's gravy. I'm just dissapointed that updateable rosters *(a concept Nintendo first introduced me to when they premiered the 64DD, are still not an option in modern gaming)* still aren't offered. Granted, I know from a business standpoint it sounds like lost profit, but i almost think they could make more money by selling roster upgrades for 25-30 dollars every year than spending the time developing a new sports game  (oh hell, the consumer will never win)

and about the Q, some friends were looking over my shoulder in class (bastards) and almost lost their breath when they saw a picture of the shiny Panasonic Q. If that had been the launch model of the Cube in the US, i think Ninty might be ridin Msoft's assless chaps like a horny donkey at this very moment... ew

I'll shut up now...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2005, 09:39:39 AM »
a concept Nintendo first introduced me to when they premiered the 64DD

I remember that being standard with PC games back when the SNES was new. Consoles just never caught up on it and EA decided to charge for their roster updates instead. Back then football manager sims and the like weren't released yearly, they made a game and released it when it was done with all the roster updates being done by the user.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2005, 11:20:09 AM »
i was just a wee lad in those days (12 ish), still sucking milk from me mommy's teat
I'll shut up now...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2005, 01:18:46 PM »
ShackNews.com

Microsoft Upset Over Xbox 360 Leak

Gee, I wonder why? If you missed it, an image was leaked that showed the Xbox 360 design in all its glory; you can find the pictures here. According to Internet rumors, Microsoft now believes the leak came from the MTV production staff. Supposedly, an actual console wasn't going to be showed, just the render that is being passed around. In any case, a couple other images hit the net: this one showing what appears to be a 64MB memory card inserted into the system and this side shot of the console with a 40GB hard drive attached.

More Rumors

More Xbox 360 Rumors: Halo 2.5, Launch Lineup

Okay, grain of salt time. IGN's rumor column has a few intriguing tidbits. First, the biggie. Halo 2.5 will be available launch day and it will come pre-loaded on the hard drive. It will feature high-res textures, widescreen res, 720p, and cut-scenes that don't feature LOD pop-in. I would assume it'd also have all the new maps. If true, smart move; the $399 console with the hard drive has a pack-in game and everyone now has a reason to buy the hard drive separately. The other rumor is that the system will have 40 titles available the first month. 15-20 at launch, and ten more each two weeks. Some names being tossed around are Perfect Dark Zero, Test Drive, the new Need for Speed, PGR3, Burnout 4, and a Namco racing title. Can't ever have enough racers, apparently.

just a little second sourcing & rumor back-up

but xbox releasing @ $399.00 w/ hard drive & Halo 2.5 pre-loaded, I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume $299.00 w/o hdd.

Also why so many racing titles @ launch, and 40 launch window titles!!!! thats impressive if true.  

p.s. posted this in another thread but I meant to post it in this one  sorry

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2005, 03:09:22 AM »
I doubt 40 launch window titles is going to happen.

I don't think DS has that many even now.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2005, 03:35:56 AM »
They always plan dozens of launch window titles. 70% end up being delayed or cancelled.