Author Topic: My Gamecube  (Read 9823 times)

My Gamecube
« on: April 07, 2005, 05:58:34 PM »
My experience of the gamecube has ranged from good, to okay, to bad, and now this... paperweight.

When I had my n64, I never had a problem about hardware stuff conking out.  NEVER.  And with the then, next gen consoles surfacing, I had simply stuck with my nintendo nose and bought myself a GC because of the games it had.  Little did I know that my love for Nintendo would come biting back in full force.

Okay, some games didn't live up to the hype, some did... and I absolutely love my list of GC games... it's just annoying that barely half a year since I bought the system, the games get harder to start up, sometimes having those read problems midway through the game.  I have heard of the lens misalignment stuff, and that I do not dare touch my GC and pretend to be some expert.  By the time my GC reached 1 year old, it was finished.  Nothing would read up, and I had tried to get hold of some Nintendo help, only to get the cold shoulder.

After stuffing it in a corner, one day, it miraculously worked.and I played it for a half a year more before it gave up yet again.  Sending e-mails and a postal mail to both Nintendo US and Japan have proven futile.  Absolutely the last console I will ever buy... I'd still want to play my old stuff here.

If anybody can help my stupid paperweight... any info would be nice.

The irony of having my n64 last 5 years without a hitch and the gc stupidly dying just barely 1+ years old... what frustration!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:My Gamecube
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 06:22:23 PM »
Wow - bad luck there. I'm sure that your Gamecube is among the minority. However, if it packed up after a year, couldn't you have used your warranty? Anyway, please do yourself a favour and pick up a new Gamecube. It's astoudingly cheap. Why, the other day, I saw a NEW Gamecube for $89.99 CDN (which is about $73 US because of the low conversion rate). Please, you won't regret it
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
RE: My Gamecube
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 06:23:46 PM »
Funny, this is exactly why Nintendo stuck with cartridges and got burned on N64.  Moving parts will break or wear down over time.  Unfortunately, it looks like your GameCube in particular didn't last nearly as long as most.  I've had mine since before launch, and while it is sluggish, it hasn't died yet.  Other people will probably come in after me and say how they've never once had a problem.  You can't base the reliability of the system just on your experience.  There are going to be bad eggs, and overall, GameCube is less prone to breakdown than PS2 or Xbox.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 06:40:20 PM »
Might as well fulfill Bloodworth's prediction:

I got my GameCube at launch (actually a few days before--thanks to EBGames.com's generosity) and I think it acted up once.  Since Launch it's been carried back and forth from my room to my living room (dropped only a couple times) and now carried back and forth in a bag bouncing around in the trunk from my dorm to my house quite a few times.  So nearly five years and no problem except for one blip.  

Like IceCold mentioned, you would really be doing yourself a favor by picking up a new Cube.  You won't find the games as good anywhere else and that way you'd have a paperweight and a gaming machine.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 06:59:39 PM »
Well, everyone has their own experiences with each machine.  Yes, bad eggs, that I can swallow.  But to have Nintendo ignore me everytime I give them a yell about it isn't.

Buying a gamecube... very straightforward, and something I'm not sure I want to do.  I'm gaming off from my pc... although seeing I've spent so much good money on GC games, I feel sorry.  I don't know if I want another one... and have that bog down again.  I sold my n64 in anticipation for the next gen machines... maybe it wasn't a bright idea at all.

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 07:19:58 PM »
"I don't know if I want another one... and have that bog down again."

It won't. And you have a warranty. And a new Gamecube is as much as a new game and two Big Mac meals. Just do us a favour and buy it please.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 07:33:59 AM »
Or you can wait for REV. That is a solution.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 07:44:12 AM »
So how long can the GC last? I dont want my little console to die on me I want to play these games ten years from now on, as I do with my N64.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 09:04:29 AM »

But to have Nintendo ignore me everytime I give them a yell about it isn't.
So did you try to get Nintendo to fix/replace it?  I spilled a popcicle in my GameCube (don't ask) about two years after I purchased it, and Nintendo replaced it with a refurbished one for free.  No questions asked.  Now that's customer service.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 02:19:15 PM »
I bought mine at launch and only had a problem that time my brother didn't put the game in all the way.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline WhoDey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 12:28:37 PM »
For every one person I've read having a hard time with Nintendo's customer service, I've read 10 people being very satisfied with it. Maybe you should just call instead of dealing with mail.

As for me, I've had my GC since the launch date. I have 60+ games for it and probably average 2 hrs a day playing. About a year ago my GC began not reading the discs. It would eventually play the games but I'd have to try 4 or 5 times to get it to work. I simply cleaned my lense with rubbing alcohol and have not had a problem since. However, I know that other people that have tried that said it did nothing for them.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005, 02:42:33 PM »
I wonder why the OP mentioned contacting the Japanese branch of Nintendo... eh?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2005, 03:00:32 PM »
Hi guys.  Nice to hear all of your gamecubes work.  Mine still doesn't.  The only answer I get from Ninty US is to contact Japan.  That's because I'm based in Asia.

Japan tells me nothing.  Wow, my gc sits pretty on the table and all I can do is look at it.  Bah.  I'll see if I can find one to buy soon.

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2005, 05:20:04 PM »
Oh your in Asia...hmmmm. I don't know what to tell you man. Anyone else overseas have any suggestions for him. I don't know much about the overseas customer service for Nintendo....I just assumed it was as good or better than the US customer service.
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2005, 05:21:38 PM »
Umm... Do you have a US GCN or a JPN GCN?  And what country do you reside in?

I'm confused
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2005, 07:31:53 PM »
JPN GC and in the Phil... I don't care if GC isn't the top console here... I love it.  Now that it's a paperweight... hmm... not sure.

Offline MrMojoRising

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2005, 01:34:57 AM »
That's where you went wrong, you just simply shouldn't live outside America.  If you absolutly must then at least live in Austrailia, Canada, or Europe.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2005, 06:51:36 AM »
If you have a JPN console and live in Asia, why would you try contacting Nintendo of America?

Anywhoo, does the Japanese Branch of Nintendo cover the Philippines, or is it a different branch?

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2005, 12:17:09 PM »
At this point it's probably best to save up and wait to purchase Revolution; play all the Cube games you spent money on before your Cube kicked the can, play Rev games, and you have a paperweight.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2005, 01:29:07 PM »
You know... it's okay.

Japan is the one covering the Asia area.  Unfortunately, the only way to reach them is through this web-based form, and apparently, it's in Japanese... what little Jap I know tells me the form applies only in Japan.  Nintendo US has better means of communication... and I was at least hoping they'd help me find a way to contact Japan.  Obviously, they don't know anything.  And trying to contact Japan has turned out to be a crummy deal.

It's all in the past.  I have an orange paperweight.  And honestly, getting a new console is furthermore out of my vocabulary now that I have experienced what's it like to buy expensive games and cannot play them.

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2005, 07:15:48 PM »

Originally posted by: niniendowarrior
You know... it's okay.
And honestly, getting a new console is furthermore out of my vocabulary now that I have experienced what's it like to buy expensive games and cannot play them.
That's the exact reason that you should buy a new console..!!...

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2005, 11:04:45 PM »
I'm sorry... what I meant was 'next gen' console...  sorry for the misunderstanding.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2005, 06:43:39 AM »
but next gen Nintendo console is backward compatible, you can play your gamecube games in it
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2005, 01:51:10 PM »
Yes, I've heard of that.  We'll see when Rev actually comes out.

I love Nintendo for the quality of their software.  I'm just really pissed at my GC and perhaps, at this misfortune.

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2005, 05:41:31 PM »
Living in Asia is your only real misfortune, because the service in North America and Japan is all you could ask for - if what happened to you by any chance would happen to me, it would be no problem to replace it.

Having said that, there still MUST be a way to use your warranty, even if you are in Asia. I don't know how you could replace a Nintendo, but I'm sure that there must be a way if you look around. So if you buy a Rev next gen, and the same thing happens (god forbid), you should be able to replace it.