Author Topic: Gamecube and S-Video  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Raven52

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Gamecube and S-Video
« on: May 05, 2005, 03:14:42 AM »
Can anyone tell me if they have experienced problems with Pelican's S-Video cables for the Gamecube?  

When I plug them into the Gamecube, the picture actually gets much worse than the normal composite picture.  I have tried the cables on my 56" and 27" T.V.'s with the same results.  I know the cables are cheap but I have used other Pelican cables for my PS2 with no issues whatsoever.  

I even went as far as to exchanging my Gamecube for another thinking that there is no way that two sets of cables could be defective.  But after hooking up my second Gamecube to the second set of Pelican S-Video cables, I get the same result.  I am even more p1ssed now because I traded in my black Gamecube which had component capabilities for a Platinum Gamecube with zero component capabilities.  

I tried getting my money back from Gamestop but the moron who gave me the second set of cables didn't give me a second receipt and my original 7 days of the return policy was never renewed for the second set of cables.  I even sent an email to Pelican stating that their cables are crap and all they want to do is send me a third set which I am sure will take 8 weeks to arrive at my house.  And I will probably get the same result.

Can anyone tell me if they ran into the same problems with the Pelican S-Video cables?    

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Gamecube and S-Video
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 10:13:49 AM »
Pelican generally makes second-rate accessories.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 02:20:39 PM »
Make that 4th rate.  I've had several Pelican S-video cables in the past for my GameQyuub/N60-fo, AND THEY ALL BROKE (black & white picture).

A year ago I bought a Peliccan GameCube S-Video cable for my friend (cuz i'm a nice friend), only to find out it caused the picture to have 10X the pixelation, making the GBA look superior.  Is that what happened to you?

I returned the cursed wires back to gamestop and exchanged it for a Madcatz s-video cable of the same price and much better construction.  I greatly recommend Madcatz's GameCube-only S-Video cable (for $10 or less) but NOT the "universal multi-system cable" thingie.  If you want to go a step above, Target.com sells the 6-ft Monster Cable GameCube S-video cable for $20.  
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Gamecube and S-Video
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 03:46:40 PM »
Yeah Monster Cables are the way to go for a 3rd party cable manufacture, they do great job on cables for every system I wish Nintendo let them do the cables that enable progressive scan but alas. And as a nice bonus the gamecube monster cables are purple to match the indago gamecubes(like mine) HAZAAA.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 05:36:40 PM »
I have the shielded multi-system cable and it's fine, for the most part. I've seen occasional noise on screen transitions, but overall the picture is good for what I payed. Plus it's universal, so, that's nice. I'll eventually upgrade to the Monster. Or I'll do it this week for $20.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 08:48:03 PM »
Monster Cables. Otherwise don't bother.

And don't EVER buy Pellican again man.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 10:46:01 PM »
I've had the Monster Cable a/v cables since they came out pretty much.  Haven't had a problem with either set yet.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 09:17:57 AM »
I have the official Nintendo S-Video cable.  I got it when I was forced to order from nintendo.com to get the headphone adaptor for my GBA SP.  I'm better than all of you put together.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 11:57:59 AM »
Wait a minute, no your not....carry the 7...+14....oh...nevermind.

Offline Kamek_X

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 11:46:53 PM »
Monster Cables are the way to go. With my high end flatscreen TV, games on the Cube look so good. However they look much much much much much much much much much bbbbeeeetttteeeerrrr!!!!! With the monster cable S-Video connection. My friends envy my picture because it looks so nice. I dont know how to explain it but your not doing your games justice unless you play on my TV. Of course you cant come over I've got enough friends already. So do yourself a favor as well as your eyes and ears. Get the Monster Cables enhances sound too!!