Author Topic: Microsoft to release three versions of Xbox 2  (Read 11807 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Microsoft to release three versions of Xbox 2
« on: November 11, 2004, 10:02:26 AM »
Microsoft to release three versions of Xbox 2

I have no idea how reliable this is, but according to theinquirer.net Microsoft will release two versions of the Xbox 2 in late 2005 and a third version in late 2006.

The standard Xbox Next will not include a hard drive, which will allow Microsoft to cut costs on this basic unit.   Xbox Next HD, as you might imagine, does include a hard drive and will offer increased functionality based on this. Xbox Next PC is, according to the presentation, an entry-level PC that runs Windows and all standard PC software.
While I don't think it will be profitable, I can at least see reasoning behind the Xbox Next PC.  However, releasing one version with no HD and the other two with, seems rather ludicrous.  Fragmenting your consumer base right from the get-go seems insane.  No developer is going to want to use any significant HD-only features if half the install base won't be able to use them.  

On the flip side, if the cost between the HD and non-HD versions is not significant, and most people purchase the HD version, it's not going to be worth it to continue to sell the cheaper version.  I can already imagine the headaches it's going to cause having three verisons of the same hardware.  Unless there's a significant number of people who want the non-HD version, it won't be profitable to continue to manufacture/sell it.

Has anyone seen any other sources posting this information (SPoNG doesn't count)?  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline MaleficentOgre

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Microsoft to release three versions of Xbox 2
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 11:13:04 AM »
I have a bad feeling this will backfire on them.  Everyone that buys the baby xbox2 and wants to go online will be screwed.  A lot of developers will make things that require a hard drive (KOTOR).  Memory cards suck and people don't like them.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 10:03:21 PM »
Expect further fragmentation once XBox Next OS X, XBox Next Linux and XBox Next BSD join the fray .

I mean, seriously, XBox Next PC? Don't they mean iXBox Next G5? The Xenon is a Mac, not a PC. Unless of course they're going to run an x86 emulator on that thing in which case you'd be screwed if you tried to play anything but XBox games on that. Though it'll be interesting to see how hackers will use THIS system.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 06:44:28 AM »
This is an overly ambitious idea that has the potential to completely ruin all of the progress Microsoft has made in the console market with the Xbox.  I love it.

This is a dumb idea.  We all know it's a dumb idea.  The advantage of consoles over PCs regarding game design is that with consoles there's a standard.  A developer knows that everyone can play their game.  So thus you can't have one version with a hard drive and one without.  Console developers don't want to risk having only half the userbase playing their game.  And can the non HD Xbox Next attach to an external hard drive?  If not then anyone who buys that is limited in what games they can buy.  The whole idea of having a game console is so that the userbase and the developers don't have to worry about different models and standards.  While we're at it let's have different controllers with different amount of buttons and let's give the cheaper Xbox more RAM just to confuse things further.

My optimism for the Revolution is increasing because every time some rumour about either the PS3 or the Xbox Next turns up it's always about some incredibly over-ambitious idea.  I think it's quite possible that either Sony, MS or both will make some huge goof up with their hardware due to a desire to expand consoles beyond gaming and Nintendo will pick up the slack.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 08:05:04 AM »
The HD could be reduced to a glorified memorycard and maybe aid with load times. As long as you don't try to make a game like KOTOR or offer downloadable content via Live the lack of the HD will not hurt you.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE:Microsoft to release three versions of Xbox 2
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 08:34:22 AM »
It's official:  Once Penny Arcade makes fun of it, it has to be true!

</end sarcasm>

The HD could be reduced to a glorified memorycard and maybe aid with load times. As long as you don't try to make a game like KOTOR or offer downloadable content via Live the lack of the HD will not hurt you.
I'm assuming the addition of the HD is going to cause at least a $75 increase in price between the Xbox Next and Xbox Next HD.  

If the only benefits offered by the HD are decreased load times and no memory cards, will it really be worth it for most people?  Sure, I hate load times as much as the next person, but would I pay extra money to decrease them?  Not much.  No memory cards would help out those who play lots of sports games, but the general public is short-sighted, and would much rather spend $75 on memory cards over the next five years, then pay for it up front.

The Xenon is a Mac, not a PC. Unless of course they're going to run an x86 emulator on that thing in which case you'd be screwed if you tried to play anything but XBox games on that.
The article states that the Xbox Next PC will be able to play "most available PC games".  But that is a good call on the whole Mac/PC compatibility issue.  To the best of my knowledge, Microsoft hasn't debunked any of this yet.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 08:50:39 AM »
XBox2 base model - Plays only games specifically designed for XBox 2

Xbox2HD - Plays all Xbox 2 games and also has XBox1 compatibility for games &  Live! support, and also acts as a TiVo-like device w/ media center capabilities

XBox2PC - Plays all XBox 2 games, has XBox1 compatiblility w/ all XB2HD functions, and runs most PC apps & games

at least thats how I picture the 3 different models
taking into account all the rumors about my post is a train wreck plan w/ XBox
- No Backwards comp.
- want to include TiVo-like functions
- want to add media center functions
- want to bridge the gap between consoles & PC's

*edit- P.S. with 3 Powerfull dual core PowerPC chips (or is it 2 tri core chips?)this machine should be able to emulate a PC without much of a problem, which means it should be able to emulate the Xbox 1 without a hiccup or need of another (x86)chip.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 03:16:03 PM »
I don't really think this is a big flop.

The xbox2pc could have a huger audience than console only gamers.  Why?  You might have some PC gamers combined with the many xbox gamers.  The least expensive version...  Well you know I haven't heard any bad news about FFXI on the PS2.

My dream machine would be Revolution/Phantom/DISC.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 09:32:40 PM »
BlackNMild: Remember that back when the XBox was new shader language was still low level, i.e. there's no abstractin layer for those. ATi would have to emulate NVidia's chip and even if they could they'd get a lawsuit from NV. Sounds like this will be incomplete emulation at best.

I wonder if the XB2 part of the XB2PC can be built into standard PCs...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 09:43:25 PM »
"I wonder if the XB2 part of the XB2PC can be built into standard PCs... "

I wonder that too.  Once you make a console PC hyrid you're basically helping people make emulators.  The Xbox Next could be really easy to pirate because of this setup.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2004, 12:24:42 PM »
I forgot about the NV chip and all the drama surrounding that.
I was commenting about the cpu power mostly (which should be pretty damn impressive)

and I'm sure the my post is a train wreck lawers could work someting out w/ NV if they really wanted to make it happen

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2004, 08:11:58 PM »
Well, MS really screwed over NVidia, causing them losses. I don't think NV would want to have anything to do with the XB2.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2004, 09:09:31 AM »
What a ridiculous idea.  Y'know, eliminating consoles entirely may have been Microsoft's plan from the start, with all this bridging the gap crap.  They really are an evil corporation bent on world domination.
I suspect most people will buy the cheapest system, if they buy anything.  Not many casual gamers are going to understand the three system for one system thing they're doing.  If they're hoping Xbox gamers will buy more than one system, or at least go for the most expensive, they're wrong.  Pirating seems very likely, and heck, I don't even see any perks in the idea.  Whoever thought of this is crazy.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2004, 10:02:59 AM »
Yeah, total convergence is MS's goal, as is Sony's. The thing is, both want their own formats to become standard and make everyone pay for their bad ideas. Which is also why MS doesn't see Nintendo as a competitor.
Maybe MS is trying to get their OS advantage into the console market so they aren't THAT weak anymore.

Either way, the three system thing is so everyone can get what they want. Cheapos get their cheap console without HDD, pirates will get the HDD one and those intent on more drastic modifications will get the PC one.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2004, 07:31:47 AM »
The thing is people that buy the cheap ones won't get to experiance the games the way my post is a train wreck wants them too.  The xbox w/o the HD isn't an xbox.  They are going to alienate a lot of ther fans.  People expect an expinsive console from the green machine. just like they expect a cheap one from nintendo

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2004, 08:51:21 AM »
Maybe you should write MS so you don't trigger the filter.

Actually I think people will expect a powerful console for cheap and I have a feeling the XB2HD isn't going to be competitively priced.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2004, 11:46:08 AM »
I don't remember what I wrote, but I know it didn't have any cussing or objective content.  I think I said that people that buy the cheap console won't get to experiance all of the games the way developers want due to the lack of hardware.  and I did write my post is a train wreck's video game division and haven't gotten a reply yet.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2004, 11:52:48 AM »
I got it, you can't abreviate microsoft in any ill or negative way.  I'm sorry, didn't know.  won't happen again.  my post is a train wreck

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2004, 07:07:44 PM »
EDIT: Someone already posted the Penny Arcade thing...
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2005, 04:03:31 AM »
I think both Sony and Microsoft are looking at trying to create a device that everyone will buy because it has many functions.  Its like the new PSP, you can get it to play games, but you can also use it to play music and movies.  

Microsoft wants to create something that can be used to link all your devices together.  But if you don't want to go that route you don't have to.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out...and how it affects costs.  Microsoft and Sony could be shooting themselves in the foot by throwing in all these added extra that will bring the cost higher, while Nintendo can bring in an equally powerful system at a cheaper cost.

Remember, it wasn't the cost that hurt the Gamecube it was the marketing, and lack of 3rd party developers...but if Nintendo could market the system, gather developer support, and have a cheaper system, then Nintendo could easily gain back marketshare.

And yes I know MS is going to have a cheap system with 3 versions of it...but that does confuse the customer and they may not know which one to buy.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2005, 11:28:22 AM »
The last thing (rumor?) I heard about Xbox2 is that:

1. There will be a base model
- no harddrive

2. There will be a model w/ HD
- Halo 2.5 pre loaded

3. No mention of the pc-like model

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2005, 09:11:06 PM »
I don't want Microsoft to link all of my devices. It's already enough that any semi-proficient hacker could compromise any MS system connected to the internet, they don't need to know the contents of my fridge or control my VCR as well.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2005, 12:51:34 PM »
Update:

GamesIndustry.biz

Two different Xbox 360 bundles to hit retail in time for Christmas

Microsoft's is still planning to ship two different versions of its Xbox 360 console at launch, according to sources close to the company - while reports suggest that the high-end version may feature the firm's WebTV system.

The site reports that the basic edition of Xbox 360 - the version without the hard drive - will not have backwards compatibility, while the "premium" version with the hard drive will ship with Microsoft's WebTV functionality built-in.

what is that supposed to mean towards the one with the hard drive? Backwards compatability not being a touted feature?
[meaningless speculation] Are they gonna let BC be "on accident" through a minor hardware/software flaw to avoid a lawsuit? [/ meaningless speculation]

Another part of the answer to that question may come from Kotaku's sources, who indicated to the site that around 80 per cent of the systems produced for launch would be the "premium" version - suggesting that the lower-end model is, more than anything else, a concession to launching a competitively priced "games only" system.

Sony is also widely expected to launch multiple versions of the PlayStation 3 console, which is due to arrive in 2006, with both "home media server" and stripped down "basic console" versions believed to be on the cards.

I wonder if the rumors above really are true?(2 post above)
As in they will use a bundled game (PS2 w/ FFXI) to sell the HD to those that bought the low-end system(they want peripheral attachment rate to be 100%), and might that game actually be Halo 2? but w/ MS's WebTV also an added bonus?  

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2005, 02:49:48 PM »
it will be like this gen all over again, except instead of DVD playback it's DVR capabilities that Nintendo won't feature (and naturally the gaming media will blast them for offering a gaming-only device instead)
I'll shut up now...

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2005, 03:47:43 PM »
I think you're kinda right Stimutacs Addict.  DVR is shaping up to be the new DVD playback for next generation.  Online and DVD playback were the new, big things this gen, DVR is next.  
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077