Author Topic: Kingdom Hearts Re:coded Release Date Announced  (Read 1740 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Kingdom Hearts Re:coded Release Date Announced
« on: October 06, 2010, 07:39:11 PM »

The latest DS Kingdom Hearts title will see a release early next year.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24222

Square Enix recently opened their North American website for Kingdom Hearts Re:coded, the second Kingdom Hearts game to be released for the DS. The official website revealed the release date, and a press release has confirmed that the US launch will be January 11, 2011.

Kingdom Hearts Re:coded takes place after the end of Kingdom Hearts II. When King Mickey discovers a mysterious entry on Jiminy's journal he decides to investigate by going into the datascape and visiting the Disney worlds once more.

Coded was originally a title for Japanese cellphones. The DS remake includes new gameplay modes and new cutscenes.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom Hearts Re:coded Release Date Announced
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 10:12:16 PM »
Oh, this is a sequel. I thought it was a remake of the first one from just reading the title. Well, this ought to be nice for DS-owning fans of the series.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 08:28:15 AM »
Too soon!

I wish they waiting a little longer seeing as Birth by Sleep just came out. :)
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 02:51:23 PM »
I'm curious for this game. I still need to play 358/2 Days and Birth By Sleep (don't own a PSP), but I want to know how the story in this game is.

In all honesty, the story became highly convoluted after Chain of Memories. I am still figuring out what was going on in Kingdom Hearts 2.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 04:01:22 PM »
What exactly is the attraction of this franchise? It is my understanding that, beneath the RPG elements, it's basically a drawn out hack-and-slasher with an absurdly convoluted story (Heartless? Nobodies? What?) and questionable controls. I don't own any of them, I've only sunk a couple of hours into a friend's copy of Kingdom Hearts II, and it appears to be riding on the appeal of the Disney licence heavily.
Unfortunately, I fear that Epic Mickey may be doing the same, which for me personally is not enough to keep me playing.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 04:11:02 PM »
What exactly is the attraction of this franchise? It is my understanding that, beneath the RPG elements, it's basically a drawn out hack-and-slasher with an absurdly convoluted story (Heartless? Nobodies? What?) and questionable controls. I don't own any of them, I've only sunk a couple of hours into a friend's copy of Kingdom Hearts II, and it appears to be riding on the appeal of the Disney licence heavily.
Unfortunately, I fear that Epic Mickey may be doing the same, which for me personally is not enough to keep me playing.

The first one, at least, did ride off of nostalgia. A stronger focus was placed on the Disney and Final Fantasy characters. It was after Chain of Memories that the focus was instead placed on the original story and characters.

I can only speak for myself, but I will admit that I got into the series because of the Disney and Final Fantasy references, but I stuck to the series because despite the story being convoluted it's enjoyable. I really like the characters, especially Sora may be one of the best non-Final Fantasy characters Square has created.

The gameplay is indeed a hack and slash, but it has been refined so that it's more than just a Samurai Warriors clone. I really liked the battle system in Kingdom Hearts 2. It was far more polished than the first game and there is a lot of attacks and skills you can pull off in battle. Plus, there's an odd sense of satisfaction when you kill off hundreds of enemies in just a few swipes.

It definitely ain't for everybody since gameplay CAN get redundant and the story hard to follow. But in my case, it is very enjoyable.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer