Author Topic: So nobody likes GameStop?  (Read 243453 times)

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: So nobody likes GameStop?
« Reply #375 on: November 22, 2010, 05:12:05 PM »
Unless you did something illegal, I don't get why anyone would care about this.

Then you are part of the problem. It's as simple as that. Have you ever heard of innocent until proven guilty? Due process, perhaps? I am not a criminal, nor am I even suspected of a crime. Hence, I should not be treated as a criminal.

I was going to make a much lengthier post, but Ian summed things up nicely. You never know what will be outlawed and when. There is no reason for the government to have a database of your information. If one day bananas are made illegal, I don't want the FBI knocking in my door because they checked my Kroger Plus card for past purchases of bananas. People that subscribe to the idea that you do -- that privacy is a concept only people with something to hide care about -- are the reason we as a society are constantly battling to retain freedoms, rights, and privileges. You're willing to give everything up because you're afraid of the unknown. What you don't realize is that you should be afraid of the so-called protectors.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 22, 2010, 05:13:06 PM »
Just a blanket warning before things get out of hand: no politics, please.  We've seen in the past where this goes and what happens to topics when it does.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 22, 2010, 05:16:17 PM »
It's only a cultural conversation right now... Right? ;)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 22, 2010, 05:18:21 PM »
I'd call it a philosophical discussion, and I think it's fine right now, but it certainly has the potential to turn political. And it doesn't matter how we see it; it matters how the mods see it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 22, 2010, 05:22:51 PM »
Trading your stuff in at Gamestop is a bad idea anyway. They don't give you as much as the game is worth, and furthermore what you get is just a stupid store credit anyway. My advice is to sell your used games on Amazon, Ebay, Half.com, or whatever. This way you not only don't get ripped off, but you actually get money which is good everywhere. And if giving the police your thumb print scares you, then that's another good reason why you should do that.

This thread isn't about politics or police states; it is about Gamestop and how much they suck ass. Let's keep it that way, please. If we don't then its going to get locked and/or people will be banned. Is that what you want to happen? If so, then go ahead and ignore me and keep on like you are because that's where this thread is headed.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #380 on: November 22, 2010, 06:00:54 PM »
One last thing about fingerprints. If you ever want a gun legally, you need to be fingerprinted. If you own a business that sells liquor, fingerprinted. Several jobs require finterprinting, etc. Being a non-criminal doesn't make me part of the problem. No one is being forced to do it (don't fly, don't trade in games, etc.)

On topic, I can't see how this wouldn't apply to all stores that buy and sell used games (like Best Buy and Game Craze).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 22, 2010, 06:35:48 PM »
One last thing about fingerprints. If you ever want a gun legally, you need to be fingerprinted. If you own a business that sells liquor, fingerprinted. Several jobs require finterprinting, etc.

As is often the case the situation is one where there is a line in one's mind and if that line is crossed then it seems like it's going too far.  I'm fine with fingerprinting in those two circumstances but trading in a videogame is excessive.  To me it's on par with fingerprinting for steak knife purchases because that's a potential lethal weapon.

If you look at it as a cost-benefit ratio I doubt the amount of harassment towards law-abiding citizens is worth the benefit of the legit criminals the system catches.  Is it such a widespread problem that the hassle is worth it?  How many thieves will they catch with this method and even then how dangerous are these thieves?  Catching a career criminal is worth a lot more than catching some one-time criminal who ends up getting a slap on the wrist.  Catching a teenager who stole a game out of another kid's bag at school is not worth fingerprinting anyone who trades in a videogame.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 22, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
Trading your stuff in at Gamestop is a bad idea anyway. They don't give you as much as the game is worth, and furthermore what you get is just a stupid store credit anyway.

Agreed. Though I thought they gave you the choice between store credit and cash... the cash option was merely worth less?

One last thing about fingerprints. If you ever want a gun legally, you need to be fingerprinted.

That's not entirely true. You can legally own a gun without fingerprints and background checks. While this does not apply to selling firearms as an establishment, there is nothing to stop you from purchasing a gun from a friend... that's why you can buy and sell guns at flea markets with no legal repercussions. I would argue that we are being forced to submit. Removing yourself from travel and gun ownership is not a proper solution. Are those two instances unnecessary oversight? Perhaps not, but they don't instantly back up your point either. In fact, the security involved in basic, domestic air travel has become utterly insane. That also goes back to what Ian detailed... Guns laws are constantly being pushed. Do you really want to have a collection of registered firearms in your possession when they're outright outlawed?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 06:53:53 PM by Morari »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 22, 2010, 08:19:57 PM »
This topic was terrible from the beginning, who started it anyway?

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 22, 2010, 09:14:54 PM »
One last thing about fingerprints. If you ever want a gun legally, you need to be fingerprinted.

Maybe in YOUR state. Here in New Hampshire (Texas of New England), we don't have such fancy shenanigans getting in the way of OUR second amendment rights.

Edit: Watch the language. There's no need for it in ANY kind of discussion.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:19:35 AM by NWR_pap64 »
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #385 on: November 22, 2010, 10:36:37 PM »

Do you mean about fingerprinting or hating GameStop generally?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 22, 2010, 10:54:14 PM »
i do like gamestop, specially used games based on gimmics not worth full retail price.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 23, 2010, 12:51:58 AM »

Do you mean about fingerprinting or hating GameStop generally?
I mean this forum thread. It was a lame attempt at humour.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #388 on: November 23, 2010, 02:18:48 AM »
Guys, we know that many of us hate GameStop with a passion, but now it is getting out of control, bringing up politics and insult our home states. Cut it out.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 23, 2010, 01:19:41 PM »
If GameStop stores here required fingerprints, that would be the final straw for me trading in games. Not that I mind having my fingerprints taken - heck, I leave them all over the place - but simply because I'm not keen on having inked fingers during a shopping trip.  Too much hassle without good return value = no trade.

That said, GameStop isn't always that bad anyway.  There are multiple stores close to where I live.  A couple are really good, a couple are really bad.  It just depends on who works there and manages that store.  There is one in particularly that I actively support because the staff are so friendly and helpful.
NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: November 23, 2010, 01:30:01 PM »
You don't necessarily need ink for fingerprints.

I work with a Notary all the time and they have inkless thumb printing for their records.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 23, 2010, 09:53:03 PM »
It's possibly ironic, but I didn't intend for this topic to be some sort of dumping ground for complaints about GameStop. If I remember rightly, I was actually hoping that people would step forth with their pleasant experiences at GameStop to show that they aren't as bad as everyone says. I guess for that to have happened, they'd actually have to not be that bad...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 23, 2010, 10:14:31 PM »
The problem with that idea, is GameStop sucks. You might have a couple nice employees that work at one nearby, but GameStop, as a whole, sucks.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 23, 2010, 10:26:03 PM »
Guys, we know that many of us hate GameStop with a passion, but now it is getting out of control, bringing up politics and insult our home states. Cut it out.

:|
-Travis Touchdown

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #394 on: November 24, 2010, 01:38:07 PM »
The problem with that idea, is GameStop sucks. You might have a couple nice employees that work at one nearby, but GameStop, as a whole, sucks.

More like the other way around. There are occasional bad employees but GameStop as a whole is good.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 24, 2010, 02:29:44 PM »
I don't think I would define any corporation as being "good."
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 24, 2010, 03:54:56 PM »

More like the other way around. There are occasional bad employees but GameStop as a whole is good.

LOL!!!

Oh... You were being serious? o_O

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 24, 2010, 07:37:37 PM »
I think TJ loves to play Devil's Advocate, or is just a big fan of conformity in general.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #398 on: November 24, 2010, 09:15:57 PM »
Some people just hate on them because thats the trendy thing, or they had a bad experience and think the whole company is like that. The only time I would agree was with the whole Monster Hunter Tri[/] mess where many store managers were forcing you to pre-order the game in order to get the free demo disc (because the company was letting individual store managers decide how to give out the discs that Capcom said would be free to everyone).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 24, 2010, 10:30:05 PM »
I speak from 17 years of experience from shopping at Electronics Boutique/GameStop. Back before they joined with EB, EB would always charge more for games than everyone else. I remember Mortal Kombat for SNES was like $70 there, everywhere else it was $50. Having said that, their policies are ****, they rape their customers, and they just plain suck. I think Black Ops is the only game I've ever bought there (also the only game I've ever pre-ordered). There was supposed to be a big tray of nuggets from Chic-Fila, but the employees ate it all.