Author Topic: So nobody likes GameStop?  (Read 243464 times)

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
Re: So nobody likes GameStop?
« Reply #250 on: March 01, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
I find Best Buy is the superior place to buy games.  Everything is right there on the shelves (and yet sealed since they have anti-theft devices), and they overstock too so you can sometimes find good deals (like when I picked up Assassins Creed a few weeks after release for 40 bucks, or older games in the bargain bin... it's like Wal-Mart with better selection).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 01, 2010, 04:01:07 PM »
Best Buy's also great because of the Reward Zone system. I've got $40 worth of certificates waiting for the next time I go to get a game there. That's a free game, just for buying things I would have bought anyway.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 01, 2010, 06:21:28 PM »
Or use the game discs for coffee table coasters. ;)

I suggest using CDs/DVDs that don't have any actual value whatsoever for that purpose. Like those AOL trial discs, or Metallica albums.

But games, no... those actually have some value to them, even if you don't like them yourself you can always sell them to someone who might be interested. Of course, one exception is out-dated sports games like Madden or whatever. The only ones that have any value are the ones for the current year (and possibly the last as well). If its two or more years out of date then its worthless to anyone, and you can't even give them away.
is your sanity...

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 01, 2010, 06:55:48 PM »
Best Buy's also great because of the Reward Zone system. I've got $40 worth of certificates waiting for the next time I go to get a game there. That's a free game, just for buying things I would have bought anyway.

The Reward Zone is garbage. You must have spent a shitton of money to rack up that kind of reward. I have never bought anything from Best Buy, because everything you can find there, you can get online for way cheaper.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 01, 2010, 06:56:49 PM »
I was mostly referring to old Maddens when I said that. Though I ended up with enough coasters from burnt cds with errors on them over the years.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #255 on: March 01, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »

The Reward Zone is garbage. You must have spent a ****ton of money to rack up that kind of reward. I have never bought anything from Best Buy, because everything you can find there, you can get online for way cheaper.

...kind of like Club Nintendo!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 01, 2010, 07:43:23 PM »
Or use the game discs for coffee table coasters. ;)

I suggest using CDs/DVDs that don't have any actual value whatsoever for that purpose. Like those AOL trial discs, or Metallica albums.

Metallica should really market St. Anger and Death Magnetic like that!
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 03, 2010, 01:50:48 AM »
Actually I have BB rewardzone credit card and you rack up points on anything, though you do get bonus points for buying it from them.  Think I generate $20 each month just for using my CC.  So every three months I get another game for free.  BTW:  I pay my balance each month in full :0.

I think it's something like for every 250 dollars you spend in BB you get $5 off.  Think you have to spend $500 on other chargers to get another $5.  I beats that "free" mileage **** anyday.  I racked up nearly 1 million free miles just to find out one trip to NYC (less than 200 miles mind you) took 250K of those miles.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 03, 2010, 02:08:33 AM »
yeah but that varies from airline to airline. Plus having a **** ton of sky miles gets you free upgrades to first class (when its not booked) and access to the pimp lounges in the airports.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 03, 2010, 01:38:05 PM »
My nearest Gamestop has reorganized the floor plan and thrown the Wii into the ghetto corner the 360 previously occupied. The Wii section also seems to be missing games like New Super Mario Bros Wii. It's like they want to sabotage it...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 03, 2010, 08:32:12 PM »
or sabotage themselves...
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 04, 2010, 01:22:40 AM »
My nearest Gamestop has reorganized the floor plan and thrown the Wii into the ghetto corner the 360 previously occupied. The Wii section also seems to be missing games like New Super Mario Bros Wii. It's like they want to sabotage it...

Stores did this a lot during the GC years, and even though I didn't like it I could kinda understand why they did it, but with the Wii and its huge popularity this makes no sense at all...
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 04, 2010, 07:34:40 AM »
Yes, the main issue I see is that popular games were missing.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 04, 2010, 10:06:27 AM »
My local Walmart did the same thing to the PS3 section, previously held by the Wii. Now the Sony games are in a dark corner.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 04, 2010, 06:18:24 PM »
If GameStop decreased the Wii section then it is probably because they don't sell as many Wii games as PS3 and XBox 360 games.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 04, 2010, 06:22:27 PM »
Because they scared all of the casuals away with pressure to pre-order.
My Game Collection

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 04, 2010, 08:11:15 PM »
I was at one the other day and bought the Miles Edgeworth game (i was in the area and actually wanted to pre-order Fragile for the soundtrack. I'm a loser, sue me) and the woman in front of me said something i found humerous:

"Hi, i need a game for my son. Its a star wars game but I dont remember the name of it.. it was something like 'Star Wars Light Saver Battle..?"

gamestop employee "uhm.. the only star wars game i can think of on wii is Lego Star Wars and i don't think thats the one you're talking about"

I turned to my girlfriend and LOL'd but she missed the conversation :(
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 04, 2010, 10:51:26 PM »
Marketting--

Sometimes publishers give Gamestop bonus for selling X amount of units.  My local GS rearranges the floor plan every other month.  This month is a BIG push for PSP GO and GTA Chinatown Wars.  The sad thing is while the bundle price sounds nice (both of them for $222) but they are giving you the UMD version of GTA which doesn't work on the GO.  :(

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 05, 2010, 04:51:20 AM »
Marketting--

Sometimes publishers give Gamestop bonus for selling X amount of units.  My local GS rearranges the floor plan every other month.  This month is a BIG push for PSP GO and GTA Chinatown Wars.  The sad thing is while the bundle price sounds nice (both of them for $222) but they are giving you the UMD version of GTA which doesn't work on the GO.  :(

LOL, talk about a failure in advertising. And a failure for GO.
My Game Collection

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 05, 2010, 07:18:47 AM »
If GameStop decreased the Wii section then it is probably because they don't sell as many Wii games as PS3 and XBox 360 games.

But why would they drop the key titles while leaving all the shovelware on the shelves?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 05, 2010, 10:37:01 AM »
Marketting--

LOL, talk about a failure in advertising. And a failure for GO.

You can't be serious. FAILure at retail for sure. I would be pissed if I bought that and probably try file some sort of false advertising on GameStop (ok, not really, but I would return it and then complain a lot on the internet)

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 05, 2010, 02:15:34 PM »
Tried to pick up a Monster Hunter Tri demo from my local store today.  Of course, the employee told me I had to pre-order the game first.   Why on earth would I want a demo for a game I've already committed money to buy from them?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 03:29:51 PM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 05, 2010, 02:22:41 PM »
I thought the demo wasn't out till the 8th.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 05, 2010, 02:38:19 PM »
Officially, it's not, but some stores already have it and put it out early.  It varies by location.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 05, 2010, 02:46:17 PM »
And if they require me to pre-order the game, should I call Reggie on Speed dial and have him come kick some ass?

I'm pretty sure Nintendo said you will not be required to pre-order the game to get the demo.