Author Topic: Paid DLC coming to 3DS games starting in March.  (Read 4837 times)

Offline Spenczar

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Paid DLC coming to 3DS games starting in March.
« on: December 26, 2011, 01:41:03 PM »
http://andriasang.com/comzi0/3ds_paid_dlc_fire_emblem/

-Fire Emblem 3DS to be the first title to use paid DLC
-3rd parties will follow
-WiiU planned to a similar setup

I honestly don't mind DLC as long as it's worth while and not coded on the disc already.  It'll be interesting how this is used for series like MarioKart and Smash Bros.
3DS friend code: 1418-6713-1779
Message me if you've added me. :]

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
Re: Paid DLC coming to 3DS games starting in March.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 01:51:40 PM »
Really isn't anything that surprising. Probally will hear more about it tomorrow (tonight) from the Nintendo Direct broadcast.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 06:45:34 PM »
I'm not very familiar with Fire Emblem, but it doesn't strike me as the type of game that could have DLC. I hope Nintendo doesn't start abusing this...

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 07:03:01 PM »
I'm not very familiar with Fire Emblem, but it doesn't strike me as the type of game that could have DLC. I hope Nintendo doesn't start abusing this...

I see 2 ways that they can go about this.   The more likely, and the one that won't make me wretch, are extra missions/battles/campaigns or any combination thereof.   The less likely thing they would do, and the thing that would, if true, make me want to throw up in my mouth as I viewed the announcement, would be units.  This would never happen, because it would screw up the game so bad (even though it's a purely single player game).  It would be like pay 99 cents for a stone leaf.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 09:06:37 PM »
Fire Emblem is very character driven.  I can see Nintendo selling DLC packs of characters from previous games.  I'll take Nephenee please.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 01:40:29 AM »
No, if they really wanted to abuse it they'd let you use real money to revive dead soldiers. Get to the end of a really tough mission and lose one of your favorite guys while fighting the boss? Just pay $1.99 to get him back without having to start the mission over.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 09:13:06 AM »
What they usually do for tatics games like this is add additional missions and backstories to your companions.  Love FE hopefully they announce the US releaes date (I think Japan gets it in April).

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 09:17:45 AM »
Oh yeah, the game also supports co-op!  WOOT Not sure why nobody mention this and just the fact that DLC is coming. :0

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 04:49:24 PM »
No, if they really wanted to abuse it they'd let you use real money to revive dead soldiers. Get to the end of a really tough mission and lose one of your favorite guys while fighting the boss? Just pay $1.99 to get him back without having to start the mission over.

Nintendo would so get me with that. I have trouble playing all the way through a Fire Emblem game for that reason.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 06:06:52 PM »
Oh yeah, the game also supports co-op!  WOOT Not sure why nobody mention this and just the fact that DLC is coming. :0

Um..really?  A co-op strategy RPG?  How would that work?  I've never heard of multiplayer co-op in an game in this genre.  The closest I can even come to imagining this would be Secret of Mana.  And when my stupid brother took freakin' 2 minutes to choose a spell or pick a candy to eat, I wanted to sock him.

Nintendo would so get me with that. I have trouble playing all the way through a Fire Emblem game for that reason.

Oh yeah.  I would be strongly tempted....utterly disgusted with myself, the game, and Nintendo, but tempted nonetheless.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 10:21:39 PM »
Didn't Nintendo say they were gonna allow third parties to use paid DLC but had no plans to do it themselves?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 11:00:03 PM »
I seem to remember that. If so, this is a perfect illustration of how little Nintendo saying they have no plans to do something means.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kon

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 05:43:05 PM »
I'm kind of sad to see Nintendo bucking to the trend, but at least its one more sign its getting on with the times.

I do hate it when DLC is used by publishers as a means to nickel n' dime the fanbases, and few are as guilty of that as Bandai/Namco and Capcom. Considering half my 3DS library consists of their titles, I do hope they show some restraint in applying the existing console models to the 3DS in the future.

Looking over at Ridge Racer Vita, that doesn't much look like a likely scenario.