Author Topic: Final Fantasy  (Read 5962 times)

Offline WesDawg

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy
« on: May 19, 2003, 07:39:52 PM »
Penny Arcade ranted for quite awhile today about why they liked FF:CC. I just had to laugh, 'cause it seemed like the non-fanboys were much happier with BigN's E3 lineup than us (by us, I mean me) fanboys were. Anyways, its nice to hear good things about this game. Really good things. I'm excited to play it. I will buy my roomate a GBA just so I have someone to play with. Anyone else out there play it and think good things?

Offline egman

• View Profile
Final Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 05:15:26 AM »
I would love to play this as well. This is the first time since FF Tactics when I have been impressed with the art design. This is a lot of speculation going on about the need for a GBA. Hopefully Square will be cautious and release this with some kind of mode where you do not need the GBA. Otherwise, this could turn into another 3rd party bomb that GC users will be blamed for.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Final Fantasy
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 05:55:47 AM »
egman: There IS a no-GBA mode, as some of the E3 shots prove.

Perhaps the Hypercube (Cube 2, Nexus, whatever you want to call it) will have LCDs on the controllers? *nudgenudge*

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Final Fantasy
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 10:34:59 AM »
It's not the Hypercube.

It's the NINTENDO TETRAHEDRON (officially spelled with all-caps).
It has wireless LCD screens, no power cords or cables, and it FLOATS IN MIDAIR.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 10:51:18 AM »
KDR, that's only for the E3 demo.  The official word is still that you'll need GBAs to play multiplayer in the final game.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Polyethylene

• View Profile
Final Fantasy
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2003, 03:56:04 PM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth
KDR, that's only for the E3 demo.  The official word is still that you'll need GBAs to play multiplayer in the final game.

I hope you're wrong.

Hail to the thief

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2003, 04:09:23 PM »
Well, I hope they change their mind, but we asked them about it point blank, and that's what they told us.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Matrix

• View Profile
Final Fantasy
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2003, 04:41:00 PM »

Originally posted by: Polyethylene

Originally posted by: Bloodworth

I hope you're wrong.

I hope he's right.

I don't see how it could work with anything but a GBA as controls. Imagine what would happen every time one of four people needed to screw around in their inventory or mess around with their character: the game would have to stop for everybody else. Short of releasing cheaper controllers that have screens on them, FFCC would be a bitch to play with a normal controller.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2003, 04:42:58 PM »
*sigh*  Here we go again.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2003, 06:19:31 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
It's not the Hypercube.

It's the NINTENDO TETRAHEDRON (officially spelled with all-caps).
It has wireless LCD screens, no power cords or cables, and it FLOATS IN MIDAIR.

OMFG! Best console ever! OMG i could jump off a cliff and play it at the same time! And i could play the NINTENDO TETRAHEDRON in a plane! It could be floating outside the window alongside the plane! think of the possibilities!

Anyway, FF:CC looks really good. Very good. Incredibly good! I cant wait for this game, its amazing what Nintendo can do with third parties. I reckon this game will sell like hotcakes, especially in Japan.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2003, 07:19:10 AM »
Well, in PSO I could manage my inventory without stopping the game. With a more efficient (read: smaller) menu this would be a minor problem. But the control scheme of cycling actions with L/R seems pretty inefficient to me.

Offline Odeix

• View Profile
Final Fantasy
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2003, 08:26:17 PM »
This is a crazy idea. Nintendo should roll out new GC controllers that are shaped like GBAs, but cannot play GBA games. They could come packaged with a cable that supplies the unit with power from the console as well as do the input/output thing and sell it cheaper than the $70 you'd pay for a real GBA.

This could work well if Nintendo started using the GBA more often as a controller since not everyone would want to buy this hypothetical GBA controller for the sake of one game... although if it's Crystal Chronicles then maybe it's ok. Gabe's commentary at Penny Arcade has me so psyched... I was worried that Square would release a crappy game but it sounds like a multiplayer dream. I've always thought co-op is the sh!t and CC looks to deliever.
>>>

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2003, 08:36:40 PM »
yes, yes that was a crazy idea ;p
given nintendo is pushing conectivity between GCN and GBA, releaseing a controller which is basically a basterdised gba would seem a trifle silly + i would rather use my GBA as a controller than buy a controller like that, cause i love my gba

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2003, 08:51:42 PM »
Bloodworth, Rick has informed us that the need for GBA's isn't neccessary for Muiltiplayer. Perhaps one GBA will do, But not four.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2003, 11:50:29 AM »
Bloodworth, IGN is reporting exactly the opposite about GBA controllers:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/402/402172p1.html

To sum up, they say you don't need 'em, but you're at the mercy of the computer for item arrangment if you don't have 'em. I hate IGN and all the anti-Cube stuff they been posting lately, but I trust 'em here.

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2003, 01:48:31 PM »
has anyone seen the trailer on ign? looks pretty cool
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2003, 02:46:29 PM »

Bloodworth, Rick has informed us that the need for GBA's isn't neccessary for Muiltiplayer. Perhaps one GBA will do, But not four.

I informed you of no such thing.  And IGN is DEAD WRONG.  They are basing that assumption on the fact that you don't need the GBA in the demo they showed at E3.  Nintendo has told us point blank that the GBA will be REQUIRED for EACH PLAYER in the final version.  We're all hoping they come to their senses, but it doesn't look like that's going to be the case.

As for the inventory switching causing everyone else to stop playing, that's a myth.  Simply pressing L or R switches to the next inventory item, just like it does on your GBA.  Why would you need a screen to do that, or make everyone else stop?  That's silly talk.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
Final Fantasy
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2003, 03:23:23 PM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers

I informed you of no such thing.  And IGN is DEAD WRONG.  They are basing that assumption on the fact that you don't need the GBA in the demo they showed at E3.  Nintendo has told us point blank that the GBA will be REQUIRED for EACH PLAYER in the final version.  We're all hoping they come to their senses, but it doesn't look like that's going to be the case.

As for the inventory switching causing everyone else to stop playing, that's a myth.  Simply pressing L or R switches to the next inventory item, just like it does on your GBA.  Why would you need a screen to do that, or make everyone else stop?  That's silly talk.

God thats just absolutley horrible.   MAJOR dissapointment and even more resentment now for me.  I'll still hold out hope, but if all ends up true, Nintendo/Squre-Enix have lost a fan and a customer from here on out.  Nothing more than a cash cow and a slap in the face to the gamer.    

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2003, 03:32:39 PM »
Wow, that is incredible stupid. Nintendo have just thrown another million seller into the 10k pile. Who's gonna buy 4 gameboys to play this game, honestly? I have 2 gba's but i still wont be getting this game if you cant use the GameCube controller. The GameCube controller is heaps more comfortable than the gba and everyone with a GameCube has a GameCube controler. Argh, dont be stupid Nintendo! This game has a huge audience being a Final Fantasy game AND a Nintendo published game, dont alienate the people that want this game by shoving gba's in our face.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2003, 05:45:36 PM »
You know what?  I constantly hear people around here saying that they might be interested in purchasing a copy of Pacman GCN/Tetra's Trackers/4 Swords GCN if they were priced appropriately, as the graphics are too simple, and the gameplay doesn't look deep enough to warrant full price.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is everything those games are and more.  The graphics are superb, it's got a fairly deep story, and the gameplay seems fairly complex.  It takes full advantage of both the GBA and the GCN.  Contrary to Pacman or Tetra's Trackers, the game also features a great single player campaign that requires no GBA.

I'm still seriously confused about why Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles isn't accepted, simply because it has an OPTION for 4 player cooperative play via GBA.  It's the ultimate connectivity game, and people don't like it because...  it features connectivity.

Please, just give some thought to this.  Being angry because it's innovative is not a good thing.  Everyone who has PLAYED the game says that they can't see it working without the GBAs in multiplayer.  I think that's a good thing, as it shows that gaming is advancing.  (no pun intended.  )  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2003, 06:54:21 PM »
Although I agree that adding interesting new gameplay to games is definatley an exellent thing to do, I feel that placing restrictions on who can play a game that belongs to such a large franchise is a mistake. Nobody is going be unhappy with a 'normal' FF game on the GC, but some definatley will be with FF:CC.
Om mani padme hum.

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
Final Fantasy
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2003, 07:02:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
You know what?  I constantly hear people around here saying that they might be interested in purchasing a copy of Pacman GCN/Tetra's Trackers/4 Swords GCN if they were priced appropriately, as the graphics are too simple, and the gameplay doesn't look deep enough to warrant full price.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is everything those games are and more.  The graphics are superb, it's got a fairly deep story, and the gameplay seems fairly complex.  It takes full advantage of both the GBA and the GCN.  Contrary to Pacman or Tetra's Trackers, the game also features a great single player campaign that requires no GBA.

I'm still seriously confused about why Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles isn't accepted, simply because it has an OPTION for 4 player cooperative play via GBA.  It's the ultimate connectivity game, and people don't like it because...  it features connectivity.

Please, just give some thought to this.  Being angry because it's innovative is not a good thing.  Everyone who has PLAYED the game says that they can't see it working without the GBAs in multiplayer.  I think that's a good thing, as it shows that gaming is advancing.  (no pun intended.  )

Er single player does require a GBA.  Otherwise, you're screwed there buddy.

Furthermore, the emphasis of this game is the multiplayer aspect of this game, not the single player.   Meaning, I'm sure playing as 4 players is A LOT more fun than playing as single player.  However, many of us don't have 3 other people with a GBA and can meet regularly just to play this game.  So now the multiplayer aspect is basically gone.   Instead of somone over at the time and being able to pick up a controller (which are the best and most popular multiplayer games), they can't play at all.    

Pacman only needs/requires 1 GBA which could much easily work.  

The only appropriately priced Tetra's Trackers/4 Swords GCN I can see is if they came for free bundled with another game or for possibly $10 each at most.    Because heck, even if I did buy it I would rarely be able to enjoy them (if ever).   True, it's my problem not theres.  But hey, if they want to limit their user base and their sales go right ahead, but it makes no sense... don't expect to see great numbers at all on what could easily been a system seller.    

It is true that being played through connectivity is how it is best done.  However, removing the alternative of NOT using a GBA (if necessary) is absurd.   The fact that it is already there but they plan to remove makes it even worse.  It's nothing more than trying to be a cash cow, with no consideration to the gamer.  

The necessary hardware requirements of this game is just so incredibly tough that it will be virtually impossible to enjoy as 4 players (which it is how it is meant to be played).  The main reason for purchasing of this game has become pointless if you don't have all the necessary hardware.      

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2003, 08:25:59 PM »
you are all missing the point... the fact is the GBA has a gi-normous userbase compared to GCN, especially in japan.  the japanese also  love Final Fantasy.  nintendo is creating a game whereby those people who have a GBA (which is everybody in japan) will be enticed by this final fantasy and it may be the proverbial straw that causes them to pick up a GCN.

you have a GCN and yes it sucks but well, nintendo is taking steps to enlarge their userbase using this trojan horse tactic.  larger user base means more games.  you can still play the freaking game single player with a controller (if i'm not mistaken) but if you have to play multiplayer then you're gonna need to get GBAs... and then nintendo has increased the GBS userbase by one or two as well... yes it rough, yes it puts us in a hard position but if it leads to more people with GCs, then it was worth it. they have to take this hardnosed approach to force a purchase... including the option to NOT use a GBA will do nothing but leave the console sales stagnant.

hell, if nintendo does nothing to improve their userbase, they get critisized... when they do, they get criticized... can't win without sacrifice.  
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline Jedi Master Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2003, 09:06:43 PM »
They could expand GCN's userbase using a regular controller. Just because it has the words "Final" and "Fantasy" on the same case, tons of people will pick up a GCN to play it. Look at me, for example. My first next-gen console was the GCN. I later bought a PS2, with the sole purpose being to play FFX.
Check out the games I own!

Currently Playing:
1) Final Fantasy VIII - PSX

Jedi Master Yoda

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
Final Fantasy
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2003, 10:19:42 PM »

Originally posted by: Jedi Master Yoda
They could expand GCN's userbase using a regular controller. Just because it has the words "Final" and "Fantasy" on the same case, tons of people will pick up a GCN to play it. Look at me, for example. My first next-gen console was the GCN. I later bought a PS2, with the sole purpose being to play FFX.

Exactly.  The words "Final Fantasy" alone will be a system seller.  But now people who don't own either GC or a GBA who wan't to play this game, aren't about to go buy both just for this.  Especially that it requires 4 GBA just to play this game in true multiplayer fashion.  

Furthermore, with the GC/GBA Player bundle out there they already could gain the library of GBA games through other/cheaper means.  

I understand what they are trying to do.  Get GBA owners to pick up a GC.  Giving GBA owners a strong incentive to pick up a GC is good yes, but a mandatory one no.  (This is why I believe they should leave it as how the E3 demo has it.)  I believe this is going to bite back Nintendo in the @ss and I hope it does after such a crude tactic of slapping already GC owners in the face.  It's VERY disheartening to know that I won't be able to truly enjoy this game as it is meant to be enjoyed (in 4 multiplayer fashion) as it shows to me Nintendo gives jack about their already customers.