Author Topic: Hold your Wee for a Wii  (Read 28860 times)

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:Hold your Wee for a Wii
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2007, 02:04:30 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64
Seriously, stop throwing the "you should camp out!" suggestion as not everybody has the time, money and patience to sit out in the cold every single day in hopes of getting a console.

Well...
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2007, 03:08:13 PM »

That would have some validity...if both systems were flops. The DS is already a worldwide sensation and the Wii is on its way to surpass the PS3 AND the 360.

I'm sure that whatever they would spend opening a factory they would get it all back within two of three months.

Seriously, Nintendo is constantly reporting that their profits are doubling thanks to the DS, X DS game or the Wii. By 2008, all that money is likely to become pocket change for them.

There's an old saying that goes "You need to spend money to make money". Nintendo may be investing a hefty amount of money, but it will all go towards generating even more money than before.

It comes down to this: we don't know what's going on with Nintendo.  Sure, we see that their Wii stock is bought up in seconds.  But everything else (production, financing, shipping) we really don't know much about.  All we can assume is that they're doing everything they can to assure maximum profitability.  That's all I'm getting at.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2007, 04:10:41 PM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel He is complaining about not being able to find a Wii for a friend who doesn't even want one badly enough to go search himself.

Pap IS the friend I'm looking for a Wii for: he lives in a mountain town in PR at least an hour drive from any Gamestop or Wal-Mart and since both of those have a "first come, first serve policy", his chances of getting one are slim to none, and no, he can't afford the ebay prices like some suggest. That, and the fact that PR gets shafted on electronics shipments anyway.

At the current rate of shipment, he'll have one next October and he's one of my best friends so I have no intention of letting him sit there hearing about how great Wii games are from me if I can find him a Wii here in the states.

If anything, Nintendo's attention on maintaining DS Lite supplies preceded the Wii launch long ago. Now it seems the two devices are at odds with regards to available manufacturing resources.

I had considered this, and while it is a valid issue, one would assume that all factories previously producing GCs would be retrofitted to Wii production while GBA/SP/Micro factories would become DSL plants.

Given the circumstances, I do suspect that Wiis have a bottleneck somewhere, probably via one of the component manufacturers. Nintendo recently released reports that they're stepping up DSL production yet made no mention of Wii production. I think they're just afraid to let slip that Wii production has a bottleneck.

Right now, as has been readily demonstrated here, people are willing to let it slide under the heading of a plethora of excuses. In five more months, when low production would be unacceptable in the eyes of most, the kinks will probably be gone.

Originally posted by: IanSane When we're talking about DSL shortages are we specifically talking about the DS Light or the DS in general? Because if it's just the DSL that is hard to find then it's entirely possible that Nintendo's intentionally under-supplied the DSL to encourage sales of the original DS. Few are going to buy the unsold regular DS systems if DSLs are on the shelf to them. So maybe Nintendo was counting on people to have the intention of buying a DSL, go to the store and discover that there aren't any left, and then buy a regular DS because it plays the same games anyway.

The lack of DSLs in stores said to me that Nintendo's MR must be incompetent, but you're right: it could just be a devious plan to push the last of the DS Phats off the shelves because it was clear to consumers that the DSL is the better of the two models.

If you're right, then it dismantles most of my argument. I still believe that Nintendo's MR didn't do their job in predicting Wii demand, yes, but with the DSL f*ck-up off their record, they come out looking a good deal better than they did prior.

"where smash_brother comes to bitch about everything" because it seems he finds something to complain about in every thread.

I've been doing this most of the time I've been here. It's only when I say something that affronts the Nintendo zealots that people actually take notice and have this sort of reaction. I wanted the title "Ian in Training" for a reason.

Also, I should clarify: most everything I argue, I do so vehemently, but that's not necessarily because I'm pissed/enraged/obessed/etc., it's because I tend to argue for the sake of arguing when I find an argument I feel like pursuing.

Come this sunday, I'll have my Wiis: I'll be standing in line outside of either BB or Target (Target seems to have nicer people so I'd opt for them) with at least 1-2 friends to ensure that I can get Pap a Wii and one for a few others who may or may not want them (I might just stockpile for the future).

And for those of you who say "Let them get their own Wiis!", know this: these are people who have been intensely loyal to me and I'd happily die for them.  Thus, Wii hunting for them is miniscule and doesn't really even play into my gripes with Nintendo's slow Wii turnout (especially now that I have a means to acquire Wiis).

More than anything, I want to see Wii production increase because I will cackle like a mad fiend the day the Wii's installed userbase passes that of the 360.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2007, 04:50:13 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
...he can't afford the ebay prices like some suggest.

Still cheaper then the other two consoles, though...

At the current rate of shipment, he'll have one next October...

Regardless of location, buying a Wii online should be a option WAY before then, either through a store or eBay as the prices will drop down to retail sooner or later.

Also, I should clarify: most everything I argue, I do so vehemently, but that's not necessarily because I'm pissed/enraged/obessed/etc., it's because I tend to argue for the sake of arguing when I find an argument I feel like pursuing.

Wow, that sounds so like me it's scary... fully explains the whole "balance" and "speed" in Smash Bros thing.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2007, 04:53:05 PM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel
Pap, do you really need to jump to Smash_brother's rescue everytime somebody mentions his name?  Also last I heard he already has a Wii and is looking for a friend.  He is complaining about not being able to find a Wii for a friend who doesn't even want one badly enough to go search himself.

Extremely new + extemely popular=hard to find, get used to it.

In the immortal words of animated Link...WELL EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME, SIXTHANGEL!

Seriously, the reason I am defending him is because he is my friend and I understand better than most why he is so upset. We have talked about it countless of times as well as helped each other during our Wii hunts. And like I said, I know how it feels like being extremely frustrated, especially when you are hunting a Wii not for you but someone else (in my case it was for my nephew).

Yeah, I did ask him to help me find a Wii for my nephew, but lord knows we didn't put the entire job on him. I call nearly everyday to see if stores had any Wiis, my parents would check whenever they went out of town and my sister and brother in law would check in other parts of PR.

And I've been helping S_B by giving him info on rumored or confirmed Wii shipments, while I keep checking on my area. Hell, even on his vacation in PR we both checked for Wiis.

In short, the reason I am coming to his defense is because we BOTH have been going through this and we both have felt similar frustrations and anger. The difference is that S_B is far more passionate about it than me (I am letting this slip because like you said, extremely popular always equal extremely hard to find, especially during the first months of its release).

But whatever, in the words of Mario our life stories is not your problem.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2007, 05:08:23 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok
Regardless of location, buying a Wii online should be a option WAY before then, either through a store or eBay as the prices will drop down to retail sooner or later.

Depends. Some retail outlets won't ship to PR at all and shipping tends to be more for shipping there.

I admit I'm exaggerating, but he lives far enough into the boondocks that I don't know if Fedex and UPS even know his town exists. :P

Wow, that sounds so like me it's scary... fully explains the whole "balance" and "speed" in Smash Bros thing.

Well, in THAT case, it's semi-personal, but the truth is, the first online SSB game (hopefully Brawl) will definitely be the deciding factor for me. If Brawl is faster than Melee and has tiers, then yeah, I'll be in the market for a colony of fire ants to mail to Sakurai...

On another note, I have to agree with what Pap said: the level of "c'est la vie" around here regarding Wii availability no doubt stems from the fact that most everyone here already has their Wii.

I'm not shaking my fist at Nintendo about the Wii shortage, but I'm certain the attitude would be different if Wiis were not in the hands of most posters already...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2007, 05:20:06 PM »

Depends. Some retail outlets won't ship to PR at all and shipping tends to be more for shipping there.

I admit I'm exaggerating, but he lives far enough into the boondocks that I don't know if Fedex and UPS even know his town exists. :P

If that's the case, would shipping it to your own house/living area/etc for him to pick up be out of the question?

If Brawl is faster than Melee and has tiers, then yeah, I'll be in the market for a colony of fire ants to mail to Sakurai...

I'm trying my hardest not to touch that...

I'm not shaking my fist at Nintendo about the Wii shortage, but I'm certain the attitude would be different if Wiis were not in the hands of most posters already...

Isn't that a partial good sign for supply, though?
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2007, 05:32:21 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok
If that's the case, would shipping it to your own house/living area/etc for him to pick up be out of the question?

Not really. He only visits once per year. It's the fact that retailers would rail him on shipping which makes it bad. We run a home business so we get decent rates from Fedex/USPS.

I'm trying my hardest not to touch that...

I'm kidding anyway: I love Sakurai and he's already expressed how much he wants Brawl to be different from Melee.

Isn't that a partial good sign for supply, though?

Thing is, we're the hardcore Nintendo geeks, and up until recently, even quite a few NWR regulars didn't have Wiis (some still don't).

The incoming restock has me hopeful, though. Maybe Nintendo will prove me wrong and just FLOOD the market and I can go b*tch about something else...

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE: Hold your Wee for a Wii
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2007, 05:43:37 PM »
Just so you know, FedEx and UPS DOES know we exist. In fact we have received a couple of packages from them. Just because I am far in the boondocks it doesn't mean that we don't exist :p .The only downside, and the reason why I prefer the USPS, is because they require A LOT of info as to where we are located, then we have to wait like guardian dogs to see if the truck arrives. At least the Post office will let us know when the package has arrived and we KNOW they will have it at the office. If we miss a FedEx or UPS package we have to go to the offices and look for it.

As for ebay, from what I know, some auctioneers will ship internationally, Puerto Rico included, others don't. Some mayor online stores do ship to PR. Most online rental places refuse to ship anything to PR (which is why a Gamefly account is out of the question...).

In other words, some places don't have a problem shipping stuff to PR, others do.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2007, 01:19:47 AM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel[...]while GBA/SP/Micro factories would become DSL plants.

That would be an utterly ignorant mistake.  GBASP's are still selling quite well.

Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2007, 05:01:52 AM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
That would be an utterly ignorant mistake.  GBASP's are still selling quite well.

True, but DSLs are out of stock and are pushing the next rung of Nintendo's handheld software sales right now.

I mean, just look at what it's doing in Japan right now:

(info from BNM and Media Crate)

Software:
1. (Wii, Nintendo) Wii Sports - 61,399 / 794,118
2. (DS, Square Enix) Dragon Quest Monsters Joker - 55,180 / 916,000
3. (Wii, Nintendo) Wii Play - 54,578 / 719,089
4. (DS, Nintendo) Common Knowledge Training - 35,819 / 1,098,912
5. (DS, Nintendo) New Super Mario Brothers - 34,628 / 4,003,134
6. (DS, Nintendo) More Brain Age - 32,865 / 3,838,652
7. (DS, Nintendo) Animal Crossing Wild World - 32,864 / 3,876,696
8. (PSP, Konami) Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops - 28,152 / 306,359
9. (DS, Nintendo) Pokemon Diamond - 22,982 / 2,502,801
10. (DS, Nintendo) Mario Kart DS - 22,640 / 1,997,233

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2007, 08:35:19 AM »

True, but DSLs are out of stock and are pushing the next rung of Nintendo's handheld software sales right now.

I mean, just look at what it's doing in Japan right now:

(info from BNM and Media Crate)

Software:
1. (Wii, Nintendo) Wii Sports - 61,399 / 794,118
2. (DS, Square Enix) Dragon Quest Monsters Joker - 55,180 / 916,000
3. (Wii, Nintendo) Wii Play - 54,578 / 719,089
4. (DS, Nintendo) Common Knowledge Training - 35,819 / 1,098,912
5. (DS, Nintendo) New Super Mario Brothers - 34,628 / 4,003,134
6. (DS, Nintendo) More Brain Age - 32,865 / 3,838,652
7. (DS, Nintendo) Animal Crossing Wild World - 32,864 / 3,876,696
8. (PSP, Konami) Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops - 28,152 / 306,359
9. (DS, Nintendo) Pokemon Diamond - 22,982 / 2,502,801
10. (DS, Nintendo) Mario Kart DS - 22,640 / 1,997,233

Do I see a PSP game in there? Especially one that has sold over 300k? I am absolutely shocked, I may never recover.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2007, 03:31:36 PM »
Regardless of what the DSL is selling, the GBASP is selling quite well.  It'd be crazy for Nintendo to stop selling the $80 systems knowing that, sometime down the road, these people will get a DSL later.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2007, 05:17:59 PM »
...which will happen faster if the GBA SP goes off the market, leaving only the DS.

It's a devious move, but they've done worse.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2007, 07:49:38 AM »

...which will happen faster if the GBA SP goes off the market, leaving only the DS.

It's a devious move, but they've done worse.

How would selling them a GBASP and a DSL happen faster if they removed the GBASP from the market?

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2007, 08:23:47 AM »
Well, going back to the original topic, after the station fired 10 employees that were supposedly linked with the incident, the woman's family has decided to sue the station. So far the lawsuit has only set its sight on the station, with no mention of Nintendo being involved in this.

The link has more details.

Lawsuit incoming
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2007, 08:43:20 AM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob How would selling them a GBASP and a DSL happen faster if they removed the GBASP from the market?

Easy: they'd sell the DS right away and start raking in software sales on both the GBA and DS games.

As for the topic, they're calling the contest dangerous and ill-advised, which I suppose is indeed true.

They should have had some medical staff on hand for this. If I'm not mistaken, eating contests probably have medical staff on hand for just such a reason so I can't imagine why this contest shouldn't have had them.

The radio station clearly didn't research the dangers beforehand and therefore are technically responsible.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2007, 11:30:14 AM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob How would selling them a GBASP and a DSL happen faster if they removed the GBASP from the market?

Easy: they'd sell the DS right away and start raking in software sales on both the GBA and DS games.

As for the topic, they're calling the contest dangerous and ill-advised, which I suppose is indeed true.

They should have had some medical staff on hand for this. If I'm not mistaken, eating contests probably have medical staff on hand for just such a reason so I can't imagine why this contest shouldn't have had them.

The radio station clearly didn't research the dangers beforehand and therefore are technically responsible.

Like I said too they were well aware of the dangers, and were in fact joking about it on the air! So they did their research and brushed it off, which IMO puts alot of the responsibility on them.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2007, 05:58:58 PM »
Looks like this chapter is closed.

I don't what to say. Really, I just can't say anything right now...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Blue Plant

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • My site.
« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2007, 07:38:39 PM »
The civil suit will make the DJs wish they were in jail instead.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2007, 02:21:18 AM »
"She knew what the contest involved when she entered it and had the option to stop or discontinue her participation in the contest at any time," said Scully, outlining how prosecutors contemplated -- and ultimately decided against -- filing charges of involuntary manslaughter.

So, there is justice.

Offline Acefondu

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 03, 2007, 02:39:19 AM »
This debate is still going? No one should be blamed for this. The station wasn't out for ill intentions and neither was the mother. This is the very definition of an accident.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 03, 2007, 04:27:45 AM »
I wouldn't call this closed.  There's still a civil suit.  My prediction is that there will be a settlement for an undisclosed sum, although if the parties don't settle, I imagine her family is more likely to win.

Offline Donutt007

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2007, 08:06:14 AM »

"She knew what the contest involved when she entered it and had the option to stop or discontinue her participation in the contest at any time," said Scully, outlining how prosecutors contemplated -- and ultimately decided against -- filing charges of involuntary manslaughter.

So, there is justice.

Yes, but what did Mulder have to say about it?

But seriously, she was showing signs and if there is a chance of a medical problem the radio station should have precautions set up. If you ever listened to the clips it's pretty bad, she looked like she was pregnant she had so much water in her, then she was dizzy and had a headache, if the radio station would have had either a medical crew on hand or took her to the hospital, they could have saved her life.

Some of the other things the DJ's said were kinda creepy too. Such as: it doesn't matter she signed a waiver right? She'll just puke up any water if it's too much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2007, 04:50:32 PM »
I've heard the clips... none of that changes the fact that she choose to participate, she choose to take each individual drink of water and she choose to go home when she was done instead of going to the hospital herself.  It was a horrible thing that happened, but it wasn't the radio station's fault.