Author Topic: Brawl=The TRUE Halo killer...  (Read 3870 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Brawl=The TRUE Halo killer...
« on: January 15, 2008, 09:41:54 AM »
In the past, whenever someone would say that Brawl was going to be a Halo killer I would laugh and ignore the claims. Halo is simply too much of a behemoth for ANYONE to dare and challenge. The amount of passion poured onto Halo is incredible. The release of Halo 3 was insane. Galaxy was celebrated, sure, Bioshock was welcomed with open arms and Call of Duty 4 changed the formula, but the ONLY game to have driven gamers to the point of insanity in 2007 has been Halo 3.

But after looking at the angst and anger the Brawl delay has generated I am ready to believe that Brawl will be the ONLY multiplayer game to actually rival Halo in terms of fan passion and appreciation.

Metroid and Galaxy were delayed multiple times, and fans didn't seem to mind that much. Twilight Princess was delayed MULTIPLE times, including a year long delay, and while fans were upset they weren't ready to go out and kill anyone associated with Nintendo.

Yet, Brawl was delayed for one month and fans are ready to make Sakurai their own worst enemy. People are driving themselves mad over pieces of data on a disc. The only other game who has inspired this much emotion in gamers has been Halo.

An SSB community has already been formed, but I suspect that community will grow big to the point of becoming a legion by the time the year ends.

If Brawl delivers in its online portions it could be the year's biggest hit. No other game will come close to how inspired the release will be. Hell, no Wii game, no matter how grand it is, will come close to the impact Brawl will cause on gamers.

So to sum it all up, I am a true believer that Brawl could be serious competition for Halo.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Brawl=The TRUE Halo killer...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 09:52:38 AM »
Halo doesn't need a killer.. it's irrelevant. See the hardware numbers for proof, even the month it was released.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 10:42:23 AM »
It doesn't hurt for the Wii to have that one huge, iconic game which defines the console.

Furthermore, if Brawl outsells Halo 3, the 360 fanbots will have to deal with that and will hopefully be less uppity.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 12:42:15 PM »

Yet, Brawl was delayed for one month and fans are ready to make Sakurai their own worst enemy.

Fans blame Sakurai, but it's really not his fault. Clearly, if the game is being released this month in Japan, it's finished. Sakurai did his part already. The development team is probably way past debugging at this point. A week's delay over there means that Nintendo is just trying to produce more copies in stores. The same is probably true for our delay.

Blame management if anyone's to blame.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 07:14:04 AM »

SEE thats why a character editor would be cool.  
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Brawl=The TRUE Halo killer...
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 07:16:00 AM »

Originally posted by: Adrock

Yet, Brawl was delayed for one month and fans are ready to make Sakurai their own worst enemy.

Fans blame Sakurai, but it's really not his fault. Clearly, if the game is being released this month in Japan, it's finished. Sakurai did his part already. The development team is probably way past debugging at this point. A week's delay over there means that Nintendo is just trying to produce more copies in stores. The same is probably true for our delay.

Blame management if anyone's to blame.

I sure don't blame Sakurai, I blame NOA.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 05:37:34 AM »
THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION

--Bureau of Internet Morality
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:32:25 AM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 06:20:36 AM »

Originally posted by: Morari

Originally posted by: pap64

In the past, whenever someone would say that Brawl was going to be a Halo killer I would laugh and ignore the claims. Halo is simply too much of a behemoth for ANYONE to dare and challenge. The amount of passion poured onto Halo is incredible. The release of Halo 3 was insane. Galaxy was celebrated, sure, Bioshock was welcomed with open arms and Call of Duty 4 changed the formula, but the ONLY game to have driven gamers to the point of insanity in 2007 has been Halo 3.

Halo doesn't drive gamers insane, it drives Xbox owning frat boys insane. Real gamers would know that it is merely an overhyped franchise (thanks to Microsoft's money) that doesn't, hasn't, and won't do anything particularly new or interesting in terms of the genre. Furthermore, it's a genre that utterly and absolutely sucks outside the realm of the PC. That's right boys and girls, gamepads weren't meant to play first-person-shooters and Halo is as generic as they come in an already generic genre! The kind of people that go batty over Halo are probably not usually the type to be interested in a "kid-friendly" Nintendo game anyway.

Note: I use the word kid-friendly because for whatever reason the word "k!ddie" is forbidden. Maybe to prevent "k!ddie pr0n", eh? Thanks again NWR for having some of the dumbest, most overbearing word censors to ever grace an internet forum. Fascists.

Its censored due to the Gamecube era.  Most of the other words that are censored are inside jokes within the board I am sure if you stay long enough you will learn some.  

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 07:00:32 AM »
For what it's worth, the Customer service rep that got my email said he had no idea about the difference in delay times between the two regions.  And he also said that "Due to the unprecedented amount of characters, stages, and modes," work on Brawl took longer than expected as reason for the delay.

Once again, sounds like the game is done to me, and they want to print moar copies.

They should hire Rob Schneider to encourage them to make more copies faster.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 07:36:40 AM »

Note: I use the word kid-friendly because for whatever reason the word "k!ddie" is forbidden. Maybe to prevent "k!ddie pr0n", eh? Thanks again NWR for having some of the dumbest, most overbearing word censors to ever grace an internet forum. Fascists.

ahahahahah i'm a fascist

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 02:53:40 PM »
a super fascist....you and omen

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 03:22:08 PM »
ShyGuy's avatar is Batman. Batman is a fascist. Ergo, ShyGuy is a fascist.

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 11:01:25 AM »
I'm actually looking forward to see how quickly Smash Bros. sells compared to Halo 3.  Halo pushed 4.8 million copies in the U.S. in a little more than three months.  Can Brawl do something similar?  Or more?
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 11:03:38 AM »
There are a great many funny things in the filter.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 12:10:32 PM »

Originally posted by: WindyMan
I'm actually looking forward to see how quickly Smash Bros. sells compared to Halo 3.  Halo pushed 4.8 million copies in the U.S. in a little more than three months.  Can Brawl do something similar?  Or more?

Well Mario Galaxy was able to sell over 2.5 million copies in America in less then 2 months, so I'd imagine Brawl can sell better then that.  Of coures Nintendo games advantage is the fact that they have long legs.  Melee made up the majority of it's sales in the years after it's release so I'd imagine Brawl will have long legs as well.

So even if Brawl doesn't sell as many copies in the first few months as Halo 3, I think in the long run Brawl has the ability to outsell it.  
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 12:26:09 PM »
You have to remember, a lot of the "long legs" comes from the fact there's nothing else out there.  Melee then wait till the next console generation.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 12:44:06 PM »

Originally posted by: Crimm
You have to remember, a lot of the "long legs" comes from the fact there's nothing else out there.  Melee then wait till the next console generation.

Well, that's kind of an unfair assumption.

While its true that Melee did survive for 5 long years and it became a staple of multiplayer gaming people played other games too. MK DD and the Mario Party games did really well and gained their own followings.

There was another aspect I forgot to mention where Brawl could rival Halo: Reviews.

Simply put, even with apparent issues the Halo games get highly praised by critics and some of the fans. To them, Halo can do no wrong, even when it does.

I see Brawl doing the same thing. Offering so much stuff that people can't help but praise it to no end. Expect A LOT of 10s for Brawl.

In fact, remember when people kept saying that the reason reviewers weren't giving 10s to Galaxy was because they had a bias towards Nintendo? Well, if you want concrete proof of that wait for the Brawl reviews to appear. Even if I expect the game to have some issues if they blow them WAY out of proportion (online being extremely unplayable, more of the same thing etc.) fans will throw a fit.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
ShyGuy's avatar is Batman. Batman is a fascist. Ergo, ShyGuy is a fascist.

If terrifying criminals is wrong, I don't want to be right.

You sound like Green Arrow, that Dirty Hippie.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 02:28:26 PM »
Batman is a fascist, who said fascism is wrong? All officers and law enforcement are fascist institutions. Fascism on a full government scale is bad, but it doesn't work any other way for crime fighting. Anyone who seeks to create a society that meets certain standards is a fascist, whether doing good or doing bad. In order for the majority to be happy, the minority need to be made unhappy and oppressed.

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 03:57:02 PM »

You have to remember, a lot of the "long legs" comes from the fact there's nothing else out there. Melee then wait till the next console generation.
I'd actually attribute the long legs to it being one of the best games on the console. When people got a GameCube, they automatically thought of Melee, so as hardware sales continued, so did Melee's. And a similar thing will happen to Brawl.

It might not sell faster than Halo 3 at the beginning, but I'm willing to bet that Brawl will outsell Halo worldwide in time, especially since the Wii just keeps selling and selling.  

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 04:20:41 PM »
with huge fanbase comes the greater ability to sell games. good games like brawl should sell super well. I keep forgetting. I need to reserve brawl if it isn't already too late!