Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1591920 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1975 on: January 14, 2012, 12:28:24 PM »
I don't think even Capcom's done another port like RE4 Wii since.

I know. I don't get that... They wouldn't even port Street Fighter IV to the Wii which should have been simple to do because its a 2D fighter so it wasn't anything too complicated, and there is the classic controller if they needed it. The only thing is it couldn't have been in HD, but no SF game prior to IV was in HD and that was never an issue. Its like some companies actually go out of their way to avoid supporting Nintendo platforms.

But anyway, since RE4 Wii ediiton was such a huge success, why couldn't Capcom do a RE5 Wii U edition? Add some new controls and content and make that the definitive edition and it should sell well. Also, Nintendo platforms seem to have a strong Resident Evil fanbase. The series has sold well enough on the Gamecube which was no easy feat for any 3rd party game.
is your sanity...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: January 14, 2012, 12:39:25 PM »
While collections would be nice, I was thinking more about Wii U "ports" of relatively recent games like Alien Colonial Marines and Darksiders 2. I'd LOVE to finally play ports of slightly older games, like Batman Arkham or Assassin's Creed... like I said, if even half of the rumored third party game list comes true, I will personally be having the best console launch of my life.

Of course, I also yearn for original Nintendo Killer App content. People who aren't diehard Nintendo fanboys will need Wii U exclusives if they're gonna jump aboard, so I don't think anyone is saying that ports alone will do it, just that the ports have the potential of making a really compelling launch for life-long Nintendo fans like me.

Oh, and Netflix. Must have Netflix.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: January 14, 2012, 12:53:40 PM »

Oh look, another port of an old game with new content (Wii pointer controls and the Ada levels) that justifies owning it on a new console.  In fact, the new content easily makes it the best version of that game still (even with the "HD" version on PSN/XBLA).  But there are very few games out there as evergreen on sales as Resident Evil, so how many ports do you really think would see so much new content to justify their price?  I don't think even Capcom's done another port like RE4 Wii since.

Separate Ways isn't new, it's just ported from the PS2 game. And calling Wii pointer controls "new content" is a misuse of the phrase.

But mostly I'm just responding to point out that Capcom did do another port like RE4 Wii. Too much like RE4 Wii, really...  :P:

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: January 14, 2012, 01:08:08 PM »
Separate Ways isn't new, it's just ported from the PS2 game. And calling Wii pointer controls "new content" is a misuse of the phrase.

It was content new to Wii and GameCube owners, and the trade-off the PS2 owners got for that Ada content was that the game didn't look very good compared to the GameCube version.  With RE4 Wii, Wii owners got all the content that had been previous made for RE4 on other platforms, as well as new Wii pointer controls that actually made the game better.  So I'm still calling it "new content."
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: January 14, 2012, 01:10:51 PM »
I don't agree with that analysis in the slightest, but since I'm not too invested in this discussion, I'll just agree to disagree.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: January 14, 2012, 01:29:08 PM »
But anyway, since RE4 Wii ediiton was such a huge success, why couldn't Capcom do a RE5 Wii U edition? Add some new controls and content and make that the definitive edition and it should sell well. Also, Nintendo platforms seem to have a strong Resident Evil fanbase. The series has sold well enough on the Gamecube which was no easy feat for any 3rd party game.

Well, if Capcom ever does that, I'll probably pick it up since RE4's pointer controls were what I wanted most with the original version of RE5 (and it's the reason I bought my Move, though I've ironically still haven't replayed RE5 with it).

While collections would be nice, I was thinking more about Wii U "ports" of relatively recent games like Alien Colonial Marines and Darksiders 2. I'd LOVE to finally play ports of slightly older games, like Batman Arkham or Assassin's Creed... like I said, if even half of the rumored third party game list comes true, I will personally be having the best console launch of my life.

I think there's a pretty great shot that you're going to see Arkham Asylum on the Wii U, especially since Arkham City has already been confirmed for it.  As for Assassin's Creed, I say this a lot but it bear repeating: you don't want to play the original Assassin's Creed, which is a terrible game.  You're better off wanting an "Ezio Trilogy" compilation that has AC 2, Brotherhood, and Revelations.  They're better games, and they all recap all you should really care about from AC1 at the beginning anyway.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: January 14, 2012, 01:37:50 PM »
I think there's a pretty great shot that you're going to see Arkham Asylum on the Wii U, especially since Arkham City has already been confirmed for it.

Arkham Asylum would be pretty awesome, but I'd still be happy if the Wii U got all the Batman games Arkham City and onwards.

As for Assassin's Creed, I say this a lot but it bear repeating: you don't want to play the original Assassin's Creed, which is a terrible game.  You're better off wanting an "Ezio Trilogy" compilation that has AC 2, Brotherhood, and Revelations.  They're better games, and they all recap all you should really care about from AC1 at the beginning anyway.

Hmmm, I remember there was some discussion over whether the game was actually any good when it first came out, but since I don't own a 360 or PS3, I'm really just excited if I'm finally able to be a PART of that discussion. Hopefully an Assassin's Creed port to the Wii U will be the newest game in the series and something relevant to consumers even if they've owned HD consoles previously. But as concerns the first game, you should know I'm usually not scared off by games being described as "terrible." FarCry was my favorite launch window FPS for the Wii.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: January 14, 2012, 01:45:06 PM »
I've played Assassin's Creed on the PS3 a week or so ago and that's the first and only assassin's creed game I've ever played. In truth it isn't that bad of a game, but its just so repetitive in the things you do. I'm actually relieved this one didn't have PS3 trophies, because there are like 500 (I'm not kidding) flags hidden all over the game and so if there were trophies I'm sure there would be trophies for finding those flags, but since there is not then I don't need to bother.

Do the sequels have more stuff you can do in them? For a game of assassinating people I was expecting there would be a lot more stealthy options to it. You have a hidden blade as one of your attacks, but that's it. It should have had a bunch of Ninja weapons and stuff like that. Instead I just use my sword and fight off 20 or so attackers each and every time I was "detected", and they don't really provide much challenge and there is no difficulty option to make them tougher. And the little side quests are all the same: save innocent civilians, climb up to the top of a building and view your surroundings, pickpocket, eavesdrop, interrogate and... I think that's it. You have to do these over and over and they are all exactly the same and it was just boring to me.
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: January 14, 2012, 02:34:57 PM »
this idea that core gamers just went and bought an xbox 360  or ps3 isn't universal, some of us just stopped playing games altogether, or if not got the occasional bargain priced pc game. So, it isn't like there isn't an audience for more core games at the wii launch.

i played Assassins creed on my brothers ps3, and idk. I couldn't get into the controls. They felt clunky as all ****. Much too complicated and the tutorial was much too long, which was the same reason I didnt like Prince of Persia Warrior Within. I like intuitive controls, hopefully though Wii U controls are going to be better. I can imagine certain things becoming simpler in the way pc games are simpler because of a touch screen. Also resident evil, no that would be awesome. Resident Evil 6 at e3 2012?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: January 14, 2012, 02:46:50 PM »
Well, I only gave up and bought a PS3 a year ago. I'm sure there are still a lot of Wii owners with more patience and/or loyalty than me who never gave up and got a PS360. There are also people (I guess kids mostly) who never got a PS360 just because they couldn't afford and they or their parents couldn't justify purchasing more than one console, so they were stuck with just a Wii and that's it. The Wii is the cheapest system this generation after all, so it became by default the platform of choice for those who don't have lots of money to blow on games (especially in this economy). So there are definitely lots of people out there who have missed out on a lot of core HD games this generation, and it isn't necessarily because they weren't interested.

3rd parties now have an opportunity to cash in by catering to these gamers who missed out by "Wiireleasing" their PS360 games on the Wii U. These classic "Wiireleases" should be affordably priced at like $20 - $40 as opposed to $60. They are old games so people probably wouldn't pay $60 for them, but $20-$40 would be fair.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 02:50:53 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: January 14, 2012, 02:47:04 PM »
Do the sequels have more stuff you can do in them? For a game of assassinating people I was expecting there would be a lot more stealthy options to it. You have a hidden blade as one of your attacks, but that's it. It should have had a bunch of Ninja weapons and stuff like that. Instead I just use my sword and fight off 20 or so attackers each and every time I was "detected", and they don't really provide much challenge and there is no difficulty option to make them tougher. And the little side quests are all the same: save innocent civilians, climb up to the top of a building and view your surroundings, pickpocket, eavesdrop, interrogate and... I think that's it. You have to do these over and over and they are all exactly the same and it was just boring to me.

The post-Assassin's Creed 1 AC games really aren't that different in that respect, unfortunately.  You do have more options like bribing courtesans to distract guards or kill them from a distance with your crossbow/hidden wrist gun (yes, really).  AC2 introduces the double hidden blade so you can stab two guards at once; Brotherhood lets you sic your squad of Assassins on a target to do your killing and running for you; and Revelations has bombs (which are allegedly useless since they can kill innocents, which desynchs you).  You can also swim in every AC game post-AC1 (where water is lethal), which is really nice.  They're just better paced so the experience is more refined and less repetitive.  You aren't doing the same things in the same order.  The later AC games also give you some RPG elements like leveling-up your shops and buying paintings to spruce up your home.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: January 14, 2012, 03:04:17 PM »
After watching that Tokyo Street demo one of my fears was alleviated somewhat. Maybe other people realized this back at E3, but I was worried if we do get 2 U Pads then the data streamed to each controller would have to be the exact same thing. Things like menu's and such are one thing, but if we ever get some awesome local co-op game with 2 pads it's nice to know we  could possibly be able to have our own cameras to look and go where ever we please.

I know, lots of "ifs" in there but still.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1987 on: January 14, 2012, 03:56:01 PM »
There's only two games I want that could reasonably be considered ports: Skyrim (once it comes out of beta, which would be 2014) and Persona 5. Anything else is cream cheese.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: January 14, 2012, 04:11:24 PM »
I have an idea on multiple Wii U tablet controllers that might avoid a lot of technical headaches: why not just locally network two Wii U consoles in the same room?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1989 on: January 14, 2012, 04:13:13 PM »
That would probably add technical headaches.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: January 14, 2012, 04:19:05 PM »
That would probably add technical headaches.

If not technical, then definitely financial headaches.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: January 14, 2012, 04:23:11 PM »
Well, the original XBox had system link, so the console-to-console connection isn't some unprecedented problem.

The remaining exotic issue I see is if the wireless streaming tech simply can't support two independent Wii U consoles and controllers in close proximity. If that were the case, then even two non-networked, completely independent Wii U systems in the same room would be a problem... which would suck T_T.

Edit:Oh yeah, and Double Dash did this too didn't it?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:25:18 PM by Kairon »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: January 14, 2012, 05:10:15 PM »
Edit:Oh yeah, and Double Dash did this too didn't it?
Yep, as did 1080 Avalanche. The original PlayStation was also capable of console-to-console connection.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1993 on: January 14, 2012, 06:32:29 PM »
I didn't say it was unprecedented, but it would take a fair amount of extra work.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: January 14, 2012, 06:41:42 PM »
There isn't much point to local networking now that online is now a standard feature on all consoles. That's probably why we don't see consoles with that feature anymore.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: January 14, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »
The best way to close the gap for older HD games to be on the Wii U is to port them to Steam. This way the third party company does not have the risk of putting five year old games back on retail shelfs and can sell them directly to people who will but them (like all of us). Batman Akham City will most likely be offered as a digital download via some online system (like Steam, for example). This could work in my favor because I could buy digital games cheaply and wait for the newer gaes to drop in price. 
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: January 15, 2012, 02:04:32 AM »
The best way to close the gap for older HD games to be on the Wii U is to port them to Steam. This way the third party company does not have the risk of putting five year old games back on retail shelfs and can sell them directly to people who will but them (like all of us). Batman Akham City will most likely be offered as a digital download via some online system (like Steam, for example). This could work in my favor because I could buy digital games cheaply and wait for the newer gaes to drop in price. 

That actually sounds like a good idea. Is that how Steam works? I know nothing about it.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: January 15, 2012, 02:01:14 PM »

That brings up the issue of storage. I can't wait to see an actual official Wii U external HDD... oh wait, I haven't budgeted for one yet. Wow this launch is getting WAY expensive for me.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: January 15, 2012, 02:13:37 PM »

That actually sounds like a good idea. Is that how Steam works? I know nothing about it.

This might add credence to Steam being available for the Wii U right out of the box. As for Steam itself, Caterkiller, here is its website:

http://store.steampowered.com/

EA has recently announced that Mass Effect 3 will not be released onto Steam ( and possibly Dead Space 3) and will instead put the game on their own online system, Origins.

http://kotaku.com/5876171/surprise-surprise-mass-effect-3-requires-origin-wont-launch-on-steam
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: January 15, 2012, 02:17:22 PM »
Where did all the steam rumors come from anyways? I really find it the idea as hard to believe as it is awesome. As a longtime Nintendo fanboy, I've developed the defense mechanism of having my skepticism directly proportional to how much I want a rumor to be true.

And speaking of Mass Effect... man, it'd be great if Nintendo could get BioWare onboard. As a Wii-only console gamer, that's another area that I could really benefit from if we start getting port-parity.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 02:19:20 PM by Kairon »