Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 616987 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #2125 on: December 05, 2011, 11:04:10 AM »
Perhaps a misinterpretation on my part. I know you as somebody who collects Platinum trophies on PS3 games, and from what I've heard, you need to do some fairly egregious things to get a lot of those. As I recall, when you reviewed the aforementioned Resonance of Fate, even though you said you found it terribly dull, you said you had played it twice for trophies. I couldn't imagine how anybody could do that, unless they've got a ridiculous tolerance for grinding.

You're confusing my willingness to OCD mash a few buttons while I'm simultaneously watching a TV show or listening to a podcast with "tolerating" grinding.   :cool;

As for Resonance of Fate, I played that sucker on New Game + for the Platinum because I could beat it in 5 hours skipping all the tedious sidequests that padded my first playthrough to well over 100 hours.  When a game is that bad (and Resonance of Fate is one of the worst games I've ever played), I like walking away from the experience knowing I thoroughly "beat it" if that experience is reasonably attainable.  Then there are games like Dark Void, which are so terrible and so terribly programmed that I went for the Platinum just because I wanted to see if it was possible since I refuse to believe that Sony's certification process on that game was very thorough.

But yeah, podcasts and TV shows are what get me through grinding sections and games with little or repetitive audio (like 100+ hour RPGs), so I only have to somewhat pay attention to what's on-screen.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: December 05, 2011, 02:45:15 PM »
Am I the only one that plays this standing up? Granted I haven't left Skyloft yet (atm, I'm trying to finish up Arkham City), but I can't help it. I have yet to have the controls **** up once.

I sit straight up, but don't stand, no real issues.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: December 05, 2011, 03:34:17 PM »
I've tried it sitting or standing, seems about the same for me. The puzzles are very good, and I like how the overworld blends right into the dungeon. Item discovery hasn't been too predictable like other Zelda games either.

Money and health seem harder to come by, and the upgrade system with resources is a new twist. In some ways I like it better than TP and in others I don't.

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: December 05, 2011, 06:41:13 PM »
I usually sit, I haven't had any problems with the controls doing it that way.  I do like the seamless interaction of overworld and dungeon, I was surprised about all the negative reaction I've heard on the board starting a few pages back, not that I don't think it's not warranted.
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: December 05, 2011, 07:31:29 PM »
I usually sit, I haven't had any problems with the controls doing it that way.  I do like the seamless interaction of overworld and dungeon, I was surprised about all the negative reaction I've heard on the board starting a few pages back, not that I don't think it's not warranted.

Triple-negatives for the win!

So you DON'T think the criticism is warranted?   :confused;

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2130 on: December 05, 2011, 08:13:45 PM »
He DOES think it's NOT warranted?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: December 06, 2011, 04:50:38 PM »
OK, folks, you have fair warning now: Skyward Sword has a game-ending glitch that is not entirely out of the realm of possibility for people to hit.  Here's the least-spoilerish version: towards the end of the game, you will be sent out to find components of a song from the 3 lands you've already completed (twice): forest, volcanic, and desert.  If you pick the desert area first and talk to a specific NPC before and after completing the quest there, you will be locked out of getting the song components from the other two areas.  So don't do that.

If you think this bug is low user-path, consider that the NPC you can't talk to is sitting in your path both before and after you reach the area that contains this quest.  Chances are you're going to talk to him twice if you pick that area first.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 04:52:52 PM by broodwars »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: December 06, 2011, 05:03:37 PM »
OK, folks, you have fair warning now: Skyward Sword has a game-ending glitch that is not entirely out of the realm of possibility for people to hit.  Here's the least-spoilerish version: towards the end of the game, you will be sent out to find components of a song from the 3 lands you've already completed (twice): forest, volcanic, and desert.  If you pick the desert area first and talk to a specific NPC before and after completing the quest there, you will be locked out of getting the song components from the other two areas.  So don't do that.

If you think this bug is low user-path, consider that the NPC you can't talk to is sitting in your path both before and after you reach the area that contains this quest.  Chances are you're going to talk to him twice if you pick that area first.

I just read that.  if you have listened to RFN, then this news is very timely given the heated debate they had about glitches and the ability to patch games. 

I'm a bit confused though, weren't you told to go to the forest first?  I mean, I understand that people like to play their own way, but I thought you were given a specific order for these three areas.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: December 06, 2011, 05:10:20 PM »
I'm a bit confused though, weren't you told to go to the forest first?  I mean, I understand that people like to play their own way, but I thought you were given a specific order for these three areas.

I don't remember the game telling me to go to the Forest first.  I went there first simply because I already knew where to go for that quest because I'd already met the necessary character.  Little did I know the horror of a forced mini-game that awaited me there.  *shudder*

I can see why people might want to tackle the areas out of the expected order by that point, though.  By then, you've already run through these areas twice with very nearly the same order both times.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 05:15:39 PM by broodwars »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: December 06, 2011, 09:13:55 PM »
I found another glitch in the game, although this one won't hinder progress and is actually kind of funny. I had chucked a couple of bombs at those wooden towers that you can tip over, and one of them blew up and knocked the tower over onto the other bomb I had tossed. When it landed on it, Link yelled, the screen went black, and then he woke up nearby - the same thing that happens if the tower falls on him. So don't let things fall on bombs, or Link will be crushed!

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: December 06, 2011, 09:26:51 PM »

I don't remember the game telling me to go to the Forest first.  I went there first simply because I already knew where to go for that quest because I'd already met the necessary character.  Little did I know the horror of a forced mini-game that awaited me there.  *shudder*

If you are referring too fighting the imprisoned for the 3rd time, I hear you.  I hear you loud and clear. 

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: December 06, 2011, 09:30:57 PM »

If you are referring too fighting the imprisoned for the 3rd time, I hear you.  I hear you loud and clear.

Oh nooooooo.  I was referring to the even worse forced mini-game that followed that one.  ;)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: December 06, 2011, 09:33:21 PM »
If the mini-game you're talking about is when the forest is flooded with water and you have to swim around collecting musical notes, I agree that part was boring. It's the first time so far that I felt like I had to force myself to complete a section.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: December 06, 2011, 09:53:58 PM »
I didn't find it too bad.  I certainly don't think it was necessary, but it didn't hurt the game for me. I wasn't swimming around for an hour looking for things which would have driven me insane.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: December 06, 2011, 09:56:23 PM »
I didn't find it too bad.  I certainly don't think it was necessary, but it didn't hurt the game for me. I wasn't swimming around for an hour looking for things which would have driven me insane.

Besides that whole scenario being completely pointless and worthy of an N64 Rare game, my other big issue with it is that the swimming in this game is terrible.  Using the pointer to steer your character around works fine when you only need to make broad movements.  But as soon as you need to make tight turns or steep dives, the controls just completely spaz-out.  There was a particular alcove in the Cistern dungeon that really annoyed me with that, since you had to make a sharp dive in shallow water.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: December 06, 2011, 10:10:30 PM »
My issue with it is that, well, it isn't a mini-game. It was a waste of potential. It could have been interesting if it were some kind of mini-game where you have to swim through hoops in the water or something like that, but nope. Instead, it's just randomly swimming around until you discover the arbitrary places the notes are hidden, with no indications of where they are until you've got about three left.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: December 06, 2011, 10:15:31 PM »
My issue with it is that, well, it isn't a mini-game. It was a waste of potential. It could have been interesting if it were some kind of mini-game where you have to swim through hoops in the water or something like that, but nope. Instead, it's just randomly swimming around until you discover the arbitrary places the notes are hidden, with no indications of where they are until you've got about three left.

Indeed, it's not a completely accurate term, but it's the best one I could think up for a section of the game that to the rest of the game is about as logical as one of Family Guy's cutaway gags.

Important NPC: "Well, Link, I have this song to teach you!"
Link: "This is like that the time when I was swimming underwater for no real reason collecting music notes!"

*cut to really boring, tedious underwater collectathon.*

Offline yosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: December 06, 2011, 11:08:34 PM »
I've tried it sitting or standing, seems about the same for me. The puzzles are very good, and I like how the overworld blends right into the dungeon. Item discovery hasn't been too predictable like other Zelda games either.

Money and health seem harder to come by, and the upgrade system with resources is a new twist. In some ways I like it better than TP and in others I don't.

When you say item discovery are you talking about the quest related items like bow or heart pieces and goddess cubes / things from them. If it's the second then you must be playing a different game than the one that I beat. I collected all of the heart pieces, goddess cubes, and bottles easily without looking at a guide or forums for the locations.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: December 07, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »

I think you may be talking about a part later in the game.  I mistook the glitch coming from the order you collect the flames for your sword, and I'm thinking maybe you're talking about something later..

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: December 09, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »
I finished the Ancient Cistern last night then putzed around Skyloft doing quests because I'm dreading the next Silent Realm. I'm 1 more Monster Horn away from getting the best shield I can get in the game at this point though I rarely use the shield anyway. I would have played more but I wanted to watch something while eating dinner and I started 30 Rock and was hooked. Then, I heard about the Chris Paul non-trade and so I was distracted from advancing any further in the game.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: December 10, 2011, 12:02:38 PM »
I finally opened Zelda yesterday.

Is it just me or is the aliasing in this game sort of distracting? There are jaggies all over the place and they are HUGE. Something like that has never bothered me until this game as I've never really noticed it until this game.

Don't know if this has been brought up before because I've been avoiding this thread like it has airborne ebola.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: December 10, 2011, 03:52:46 PM »
I don't recall anything like that. The only thing I've noticed is that objects in the distance can look blurry, but I think that's a deliberate graphical effect.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: December 10, 2011, 07:27:34 PM »
I finally opened Zelda yesterday.

Is it just me or is the aliasing in this game sort of distracting? There are jaggies all over the place and they are HUGE. Something like that has never bothered me until this game as I've never really noticed it until this game.

Don't know if this has been brought up before because I've been avoiding this thread like it has airborne ebola.

Thanks to the random questions thread I know exactly what aliasing is now. And yes, just like TP I have come to accept it. My only graphical complaints is regarding this and that I wish it was as smooth as Mario Galaxy. Beyond that I love the look.

Swimming is also lame, it's just precise or quick enough for turning. I once swam around a an amber relic like 5 times trying to get it before I realized how to stop and aim Link. Shouldn't be that way though.

Beyond that I am digging everything!!!! Including the pumpkin soup eating boss! Nice memories of Links Awakening!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: December 11, 2011, 06:50:50 AM »
So, I finished the game tonight (this morning? ...need sleep...)

Total play time... 353:51.

Hey Nintendo - when I pull up the map or menu and leave it sitting there long enough for the remote to time out, can you stop the timer for me?

Geesh.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: December 11, 2011, 12:01:31 PM »
just did the 2nd silent realm.

I keep expecting things to get better and they don't. 

I can't believe how badly pointer controls were messed up.  They worked fine in every other game.  Shooting stuff in TP was really fun.  I don't know why they changed it and then decided that I should have to use the broken controls for flying, swimming, and aiming.