Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 616971 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #1275 on: January 04, 2011, 07:43:41 PM »
One should be allowed to have whatever tastes they want regardless of whether or not it is "limited".
I never stated or implied that no one was "allowed" to have the taste they wanted. I understand why people choose to be fastidious, but in doing so, they're also choosing to give themselves a very limited selection. But that's their choice.

If you want to play games other than the few big name releases that are hyped up everywhere, then you will have to spend a little extra time to look them up. This is true of all systems, not just the Wii, and has been ever since the Atari.

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #1276 on: January 04, 2011, 08:59:49 PM »
Maybe games seem to suck more nowadays because of the Internet, where back then you simply bought the game and enjoyed it instead of reading everyone else's opinions about it and making them your own. Or, now that you're older your tastes have developed and you're quicker to point out the flaws of games rather than what makes them fun.

I loved the game "Road Runner's Death Valley Rally" and played it all the game when I was a kid, but when I looked it up recently it's said to be a terrible, awful game with bad level design and boss design. Though I don't buy licensed games anymore (Harry Potter ruined it for me), RRDVR is one of my old favorites. I often played it for the sake of playing.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:07:45 PM by ThomasO »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: January 05, 2011, 01:03:57 AM »
If you want to play games other than the few big name releases that are hyped up everywhere, then you will have to spend a little extra time to look them up.
I have to agree with you there. I'd hardly consider No More Heroes a big name release. I almost didn't buy it because I didn't know anything about it. To me, it's still the best 3rd party game on the Wii and the best example of how to properly use and implement motion controls. It'd probably be a pretty mediocre game with traditional controls.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: January 05, 2011, 06:32:15 AM »
Is it at all possible that this thread could be used to talk about the upcoming Zelda game for which it was created?

I keep clicking on it thinking maybe there's some new information, only to find people discussing things that should be in the General Gaming forum.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: January 05, 2011, 08:04:43 AM »
Hey MaryJane, member moderation is against the rules.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: January 05, 2011, 12:45:29 PM »
I keep clicking on it thinking maybe there's some new information, only to find people discussing things that should be in the General Gaming forum.

Unfortunately, for that to become a reality, Nintendo would have to, you know, actually release some new information about the game, which rarely happens outside of a major press event.

That being said, I think it would be conveinient if you could mark a post as off-topic and then be able to only view on-topic posts in a particular thread.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: January 05, 2011, 01:58:16 PM »
Has anyone seen this? World's Biggest Cave Found in Vietnam
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/07/090724-biggest-cave-vietnam.html

Photos
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/01/largest-cave/peter-photography

Studying some exotic places as inspiration for the next Zelda would be a great improvement. Some people say they want a million dungeons or voice acting or more hawtness, but I just want to feel small and overwhelmed by the scope of the environments. After all isn't that what made the first one so great for its time?

I don't want to see one giant field in the middle and I don't want to see any lava (there wasn't any during the time this series took place); that's OOT stuff and IMO needs to be put to rest. Discuss. 
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: January 05, 2011, 02:40:49 PM »
Zap, I think studying exotic places for inspiration would be a good idea.  Twilight Princess's world felt too "by the book".  It's like they feel they have to include a forest and a mountain and some lava cave and a lake, etc.  It would do them a world of good to step back and think out of the box for ideas regarding the world's geography.  In retrospect Wind Waker attempted that, but I just wasn't impressed with the results.  That is however not a reason to abandon the idea.

We often talk about how truly impressive visuals in a game are all about the art direction.  Well if you just use worn out videogame cliches for the world then that is pretty lousy art direction.  To truly visually impress us we need to be somewhere that stands out.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: January 05, 2011, 04:32:23 PM »
Hey Dasmos, no offense, but where were you when everyone got on about me talking semantics? I didn't understand then, but I do now.

Edit: @OneTwenty

My point exactly! Nintendo rarely releases info about the game, and I keep thinking; "maybe today there was something" only to find fluff.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 04:36:43 PM by MaryJane »
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: January 05, 2011, 04:41:52 PM »
The environments of Monster Hunter Tri looked really life like, especially the Flooded Forest level. It had a very organic look to it and this kind of detail should e carried over into the Zelda series.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: January 05, 2011, 04:47:40 PM »
The environments of Monster Hunter Tri looked really life like, especially the Flooded Forest level. It had a very organic look to it and this kind of detail should e carried over into the Zelda series.

One of my biggest problems with Zelda since Ocarina of Time (except for Wind Waker) is that the outdoor environments tend to be pretty obvious "rooms", complete with loading animations between sections.  It's especially bad in forests with the "tree" wallpaper, even in Twilight Princess (which was probably the best it's been done in the 3D Zeldas).  It really breaks the immersion for me, and from what I saw of the Tri demo it doesn't look like that issue was dealt with there, either.  I hope the new Zelda has more streaming of areas so you can just walk from one end of a large environment to the next.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: January 05, 2011, 04:48:44 PM »
Studying some exotic places as inspiration for the next Zelda would be a great improvement. Some people say they want a million dungeons or voice acting or more hawtness, but I just want to feel small and overwhelmed by the scope of the environments. After all isn't that what made the first one so great for its time?

I don't want to see one giant field in the middle and I don't want to see any lava (there wasn't any during the time this series took place); that's OOT stuff and IMO needs to be put to rest. Discuss. 
As long as it isn't empty of interesting things, nor filled with useless treasure chests containing "10 rupees!"

I'm actually developing a fascination with caves, and would be really interested in a an elaborate system of tunnels and an underground world that would kind of compliment the overworld.  It would be an interesting evolution of the dual-world mechanic that's been used a few times now.  Anything where an ancient civilization used to live, or where a current one is forced to reside.  Imagine an underground dungeon built underneath a large mountain range (but this fact is initially withheld from you) accessed only from the underground network, and as you progress you reach the summit, seeing the overworld for the first time in hours.

And of course, you could have the skyworld adding a third layer to the general world.

Come to think of it, Pokemon games do a pretty good job of connecting the overworld and underworld.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: January 05, 2011, 06:03:10 PM »
I don't think the Wii is capable of handling large open worlds, especially ones that have any amount of detail. Even if a relatively large world could be created by streaming from the disc, sacrifices would come with that, such as a poor framerate and a second of "freeze time" whenever the next section of the world is loaded up. I'd rather have loading screens.

We were talking about what games to play during the wait for Zelda, I don't see how that's off topic.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: January 05, 2011, 06:07:57 PM »
I don't think the Wii is capable of handling large open worlds, especially ones that have any amount of detail. Even if a relatively large world could be created by streaming from the disc, sacrifices would come with that, such as a poor framerate and a second of "freeze time" whenever the next section of the world is loaded up. I'd rather have loading screens.

I'd agree, except that the GameCube had few issues with such a thing with Wind Waker, and it was even less powerful than the Wii.  Granted, Wind Waker's overworld is extremely minimalistic, but we've had open world games on consoles for years.  I think with the art style that this game uses that we could see much larger areas than we saw in Twilight Princess without having to have so many transition/loading sequences.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: January 05, 2011, 06:10:11 PM »
Wasn't constant streaming a big problem in Black Ops?  Damaging disc drives?  Probably not a good idea to do it that way.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: January 05, 2011, 06:12:35 PM »
As long as it isn't empty of interesting things, nor filled with useless treasure chests containing "10 rupees!"

Man, I hate those chests.  It makes me wonder if when Nintendo tests Zelda games out that they have a completely different approach to rupees than the fans do.  I spent most Zelda games hovering around a full wallet.  I just don't spend rupees that much.  I buy essential items and that is about it.  There is usually nothing interesting else to buy.  What am I going to buy arrows and bombs?  I can get those for free from defeated enemies.  It's like Nintendo designs the game under the assumption that everyone is shooting arrows and throwing bombs all over the damn place and needs to constantly purchase refills.  So the many chests of rupees in their minds is probably doing the player a big favour.  Am I just playing differently than everyone else?  Is spending rupees left and right the more common way of playing?  The ironic thing is that the original Zelda had the exact opposite problem.  Rupees were scarce, items were expensive and each arrow cost a rupee.  In that game millions of treasure chests bursting with rupees would have been a blessing.

I wonder if the problem with Zelda's world is that Nintendo just doesn't really care about storyline elements.  If you look at something like Lord of the Rings you can tell that Tolkien had this huge world in his head and had all sorts of details mapped out.  I'll watch the movie and I'll see this cool statue in the background and it's not some random ass statue, it's a statue taken from the book and it was all planned and it meant something.  It makes a simple locale feel so alive and real.

Miyamoto has all this gameplay is his head and then pulls all the storyline details out of his butt at the last minute.  So if you want to see underground ruins of an ancient civilization?  Well there is no ancient civilization in Miyamoto's head so either it doesn't go in or he decides to put something there but it's just made up with no real details behind it.  When someone has a whole world planned in their head, they don't hodge podge some area together.  They know the details and it is more like they are just relaying existing information.  They care so the results are better.  Nintendo as a whole doesn't really care about stories so Miyamoto is going to be thinking more in terms of water level, forest level, fire level.  He's going to think in a technical videogame kind of way.  Nintendo is not creating a world, they're creating a level for the player to play in.

I don't think this approach is necessarily wrong (it probably allows for better level design) but I think it benefitted more from inferior hardware.  On the NES just that fact that it's one big world is mindblowing at the time.  Ocarina of Time was such an ambitious game at the time that it didn't matter that the world was a big empty field and a bunch of glorified rooms hanging off it.  I'm riding a horse!  I'm travelling through time!  I'm playing the individual notes of these songs!  There was enough "wow" factor to keep us distracted.

Twilight Princess comes along and we're not so impressed by these things.  There are less technical limitations now.  Now I notice that the world is just an empty hub with rooms branching of it and that it isn't that big and there isn't much to it.  Prior to the Gamecube the graphics were weak enough that you could just shove a statue in some place and it looked great because, holy ****, there's a statue.  Any window dressing was exceptional.  But now that it is not so exceptional that random statue looks like a random statue.  It feels stiff and forced.

Hell, I noticed this with a lot of Nintendo's games from the Cube onward.  It's like once the graphics were such that things could look like they should, Nintendo's characters and worlds felt a lot more generic to me.  Sometimes the games seemed more empty and lacked extra details, like Nintendo only did the bare minimum.  It may have been that before there was no room to work with so it took less effort to make things stand out.  It's easier to fill a bedroom than it is a gymnasium.  One huge exception was Metroid Prime which was just brimming with details and backstory and that game just filled with me with awe.  I can't say what the thought process was in designing that game but it sure as hell felt like every detail was meticulously planned.  With Zelda lately it's been more like "uh, well I guess we'll put a lake here".

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: January 05, 2011, 06:21:22 PM »

Man, I hate those chests.  It makes me wonder if when Nintendo tests Zelda games out that they have a completely different approach to rupees than the fans do.  I spent most Zelda games hovering around a full wallet.  I just don't spend rupees that much.  I buy essential items and that is about it.  There is usually nothing interesting else to buy.  What am I going to buy arrows and bombs?  I can get those for free from defeated enemies.  It's like Nintendo designs the game under the assumption that everyone is shooting arrows and throwing bombs all over the damn place and needs to constantly purchase refills.  So the many chests of rupees in their minds is probably doing the player a big favour.  Am I just playing differently than everyone else?  Is spending rupees left and right the more common way of playing?  The ironic thing is that the original Zelda had the exact opposite problem.  Rupees were scarce, items were expensive and each arrow cost a rupee.  In that game millions of treasure chests bursting with rupees would have been a blessing.

I hate this too.  If they want to continue to do this that is fine.  BUT PLEASE NINTENDO, PLEASE GIVE US THE OPTION TO TAKE THE GIANT RUPEE ANYWAY, EVEN IF OUR WALLET IS FULL!!!

There is nothing worse than seeing a chest in a spot that is hard to reach.  We get finally arrive and get told that we can't take the 100 rupees because our wallet is full.  So we have to get out again and get it later.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: January 05, 2011, 06:22:25 PM »
Wasn't constant streaming a big problem in Black Ops?  Damaging disc drives?  Probably not a good idea to do it that way.
Yeah, it was, though that's because the game wasn't optimized for the Wii. If Zelda used a streaming method, it wouldn't be nearly as aggressive as that game, it'd be more like how in Metroid Prme the next area loads when you approach a door, so it would just load at certain spots.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: January 05, 2011, 08:27:05 PM »
Either we need limitless wallets or there should be some intermediary item of sorts. That's what I liked in the DS Zeldas. There were these random treasures you got. You could trade them with NPCs and other players, use them to build train parts or just sell them for money. There are a dozen different ones and it really spiced up the chest rewards I got. I always hoped for that one elusive one and I tried to trade all the time to get the less common ones. It should really be implemented in the console games.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: January 05, 2011, 08:39:09 PM »
Just make the treasure chests that just have money in 'em look different. So then players can come back to them and not lose there cash.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #1295 on: January 05, 2011, 08:45:51 PM »
Didn't the problem with TP's story come from problems mid-way in development? I read somewhere that both the story and the game play were designed first (or at least by mid-2009) for Skyward Sword in order to avoid these problems.

Aonuma did admit that TP's world was too large and vacant, so they're supposedly fixing it in the new game by making it more dense.

When Miyamoto mentioned "the game is half complete" maybe they're adding the lefty option that 10% of the population is begging for.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:48:18 PM by ThomasO »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: January 06, 2011, 12:30:41 AM »
When Miyamoto mentioned "the game is half complete" maybe they're adding the lefty option that 10% of the population is begging for.

Considering Link is a lefty they had better add it. :P

Us southpaws are proud of our champions.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: January 06, 2011, 12:34:51 AM »

I'm actually developing a fascination with caves, and would be really interested in a an elaborate system of tunnels and an underground world that would kind of compliment the overworld.  It would be an interesting evolution of the dual-world mechanic that's been used a few times now.  Anything where an ancient civilization used to live, or where a current one is forced to reside.  Imagine an underground dungeon built underneath a large mountain range (but this fact is initially withheld from you) accessed only from the underground network, and as you progress you reach the summit, seeing the overworld for the first time in hours.

This is genius, I'd like that (something mario brothers could learn from).

I approve of getting rid of wallet limitations but what about this: each race has their own rupee color. Fun gimmick or needless complication?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: January 06, 2011, 12:43:11 AM »
Describe a bit more...  What would the benefit be of such an implementation?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1299 on: January 06, 2011, 12:44:23 AM »
Wouldn't that be like each state having their own money? Hyrule is basically one country, correct? I think keeping the current system where colored rupees represent different amounts works best, but that's just my opinion.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20