Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 615409 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #2175 on: December 16, 2011, 06:26:28 PM »
I think I triggered the glitch. >.< Not sure exactly what I did but when you're told to go find the 3 dragons, the first thing I did was try to go to Faron Woods, since you already know where the dragon is there. I couldn't land in the woods part, and when I tried to get in from behind the temple, the gate was closed. So, I went to the volcano and found the dragon there. I went back to the woods and still not dice. I went to the desert for that dragon, did the whole tree thing (probably the biggest mistake) and still can't get in. *sigh* I think I did some side-questing before going after the big whale guy who sends you after the dragons, if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Nevermind. Read up on it some more and getting the fire dragon's song first should keep the game from glitching. Apparently I just have to talk to Groose and fight the imprisoned for the third time. Bastard just won't stay down.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:36:26 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: December 21, 2011, 03:49:27 PM »
Yahtzee doesn't like it.  Said it is the worst Zelda game he has ever played.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/5148-The-Legend-of-Zelda-Skyward-Sword

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2177 on: December 21, 2011, 03:59:22 PM »
You know, I never expect him to like anything, but that was actually surprising.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2178 on: December 21, 2011, 05:16:37 PM »
I watched some of his reviews a few weeks back and he sounds like he doesn't like anything.

Anyway I picked up the game again after getting side tracked and being sick in real life and I finished up the 4th dungeon and I think I saw a reference to Link's Awakening with one of the objects in the 4th dungeons. I also like how they brought back an mechanic from Wind Waker for the boss of the dungeon. I also went through the first Silent Realm and it worked for me. There was just enough tension to keep me rushing to each tear and it was just enough time between each tear to keep a level head.

Also I really didn't have any problem with the swimming like some others here it just took more fine movements. It wasn't really any different then the flying for me. No problems either way.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: December 21, 2011, 10:49:56 PM »
Yahtzee always doesn't sound like he doesn't like anything in those videos. That's the shtick. Some of his favorite games of a given year got video reviews from him where it sounds like he didn't like it that much. Case in point, Just Cause 2.

As for his complaints on the game, they are nothing new. While he was talking of Fi, I was reminded that I'm not bothered much with her boring interactions. At least not yet as I near what I assume is to be the water-themed dungeon of the game. My tolerance may be due to surrendering myself to the slow pace of the game as evident to the fact I no longer bother to hold the 'A' button to make the text display (slightly) faster.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: December 21, 2011, 11:20:10 PM »
Well, after looking over the games coming in the next few months, I've decided that I'm going (for the first time ever for me with a Zelda game) to ignore the remaining heart pieces, etc. in Skyward Sword.  I'm just going to finish the main story and then sell the game off.  The game's just given me such a huge case of "I don't give a **** anymore", and that's unfortunate for a Zelda title.  There's no point holding onto the game once I finish it, as I didn't really enjoy my first playthrough and I'm never likely to play it again.  Pity.  The game has some good ideas.  It just falls utterly short due to sheer repetition and lack of anything interesting to do in the game outside solving puzzles.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: December 22, 2011, 04:26:40 AM »
'bout time you finish the main meat of a game rather than consume every loose stray bit and remnant sauce :D

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: December 22, 2011, 04:52:48 AM »
'bout time you finish the main meat of a game rather than consume every loose stray bit and remnant sauce :D

I know, but it's a tradition of mine to 100% Zelda since Link to the Past came out.  I even got all the figures in Wind Waker.  It's hard to let that go, but man I have better games to play and I do not want to bother with Bug Island; the Mine Cart mini-game; all the Goddess Walls; and anything else that might have one of the remaining heart pieces.  Once I'm done with Trine 2 here, I'm going to wrap up Skyward Sword and be done with it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 04:55:00 AM by broodwars »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: December 22, 2011, 08:29:45 AM »
I usually end up giving up on some of the final heart pieces and random other end game chores. I completed Ocarina of Time completely (all heart pieces, Poes etc) back in August for the first time. Finishing the 3D Edition was probably like my 7th or 8th play through.

I typically don't trade games after I complete them even though I should. I rarely replay games and Skyward Sword is most likely not on that list. I've traded in games I later wanted to replay and so I just don't trade them anymore just in case.

Anyway, I think I'm in the final stretch of the game. I just beat Levias. There are a couple of quests and mini-games left which I'll get to later. The game is packed with things to do; I just didn't really enjoy myself. I don't really get why the gaming media is so in love with it. To each his own, I guess. For the next inatallment, I'm hoping for the Zelda series version of Super Mario 3D Land: a game that takes the best elements of past games and perfectly combines them into an amazing experience. The Zelda team has tried but I don't think they've cracked it yet.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 08:32:15 AM by Adrock »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: December 22, 2011, 12:29:30 PM »
I usually end up giving up on some of the final heart pieces and random other end game chores. I completed Ocarina of Time completely (all heart pieces, Poes etc) back in August for the first time. Finishing the 3D Edition was probably like my 7th or 8th play through.

I typically don't trade games after I complete them even though I should. I rarely replay games and Skyward Sword is most likely not on that list. I've traded in games I later wanted to replay and so I just don't trade them anymore just in case.

Anyway, I think I'm in the final stretch of the game. I just beat Levias. There are a couple of quests and mini-games left which I'll get to later. The game is packed with things to do; I just didn't really enjoy myself. I don't really get why the gaming media is so in love with it. To each his own, I guess. For the next inatallment, I'm hoping for the Zelda series version of Super Mario 3D Land: a game that takes the best elements of past games and perfectly combines them into an amazing experience. The Zelda team has tried but I don't think they've cracked it yet.

You're not too far from the end, but I do think you probably have something close to 20% of the game left.  Someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: December 22, 2011, 02:15:58 PM »
so im just one flame away from completing the master sword...I'm about 25 hours in. That scares me because from what i can tell from discusion of this game are 2 things.

1)this game is aparently 40 hours long.
2)there's lots of filler aparently
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 02:26:18 PM by Lithium »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2186 on: December 22, 2011, 03:49:50 PM »
I just finished up the 2nd silent realm and it was more intense then the first one and I did mess up a few times. Few things I noticed. The guardians typically go at different speeds and I think some of them can't do certain things. I think the ones with swords are pretty fast but they can't go up stairs or at least I didn't see him following me up them. The floating ones with scythes I think can go through walls but is fairly slow and the last one was just balanced I guess. Most of the time they can't catch up with you and they do try to corner you but thankfully the level is pretty open with paths to take. Gonna eat lunch and then use the new item I got to explore the world more and get more items. I think I may be able to get the next wallet upgrade now with this item.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: December 22, 2011, 07:29:25 PM »
Finally picked up the game again after a few weeks and got the 2nd flame. I really enjoy the dungeons in this, it is just a pity the game has so much padding. I'm debating when I should go back and play it again though, I dread the 3rd Silent Realm, and may not even finish the game because of it. I didn't even fail the 2nd silent realm once yet still despised it completely.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: December 22, 2011, 07:39:03 PM »
People keep mentioning 3 Silent Realms, I swear I did 4 of them. Or maybe I just kept reading things wrong.

The last one I was not a fan of. The first few I did them on my first try. That last one took me forever.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: December 22, 2011, 09:34:50 PM »
People keep mentioning 3 Silent Realms, I swear I did 4 of them. Or maybe I just kept reading things wrong.

The last one I was not a fan of. The first few I did them on my first try. That last one took me forever.

yeah there's 4 of them. the last one is Skyloft

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: December 23, 2011, 12:48:27 AM »
I just want to say, I find it a bit odd...

When news of the glitch got out, the gaming media went haywire.  Take Peter Mai here:
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmentality/2011/12/5_worst_video_game_glitchesbug.php

He names it the worst bug of 2011.  Even worse than Skyrim on the PS3 (which, for those who don't know, can actually BRICK YOUR PS3.)

Meanwhile, today, Nintendo released the "patch" channel for Skyward Sword.  I've barely heard a bleep out of the gaming press.  Ive seen more articles about the botched Club Nintendo calendar than I have that this fix is out.

I know it's a somewhat clunky method of fixing the bug, but geesh - you'd think how some sites declared this bug a disaster somewhere on the scale between Chernobyl and the asteroid that killed all the dinosaurs, they'd run an article on it or mention it or something...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: December 23, 2011, 12:56:06 AM »
He names it the worst bug of 2011.  Even worse than Skyrim on the PS3 (which, for those who don't know, can actually BRICK YOUR PS3.)

As someone who owns the PS3 version of Skyrim and regularly sees framerate drops into the single digits; constant crashes; broken quests; and corrupted save files (all of which I complain regularly about on Twitter), I find that decision to be almost offensive.  The Skyward Sword bug is a product of lazy design (much like a lot of Skyward Sword's problems) and even lazier testing, but it's also relatively low user-path and Nintendo actually has a fix out for it.

Meanwhile, Bethesda has still barely done anything to fix Skyrim on the PS3 over a month after launch, and has actually made it worse with some of the recent patches.  They aren't even touching the broken quests until sometime next month.

So yeah, this "Peter Mai" character needs to have his head examined.

I have seen stories around the internet on this fix, though, Bob.  Most of them have a good laugh over how Nintendo needed to make an entire Wii channel to do a simple patch, but I have seen the story reported on other sites like Destructoid and Joystiq.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 12:58:36 AM by broodwars »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: December 23, 2011, 01:06:26 AM »
I have seen stories around the internet on this fix, though, Bob.  Most of them have a good laugh over how Nintendo needed to make an entire Wii channel to do a simple patch, but I have seen the story reported on other sites like Destructoid and Joystiq.

Oh, the story is out there... but, really, I haven't seen a lot of exposure on it.  It just seems as big as these sites made the glitch out to be, you'd think they'd talk about it a little more.

As for picking on Nintendo because of their method of fixing it... that's fine with me.  While Nintendo deserves some praise for coming up with *some* fix, I'm not against giving them a good ribbing over how they painted themselves into a corner on this one.  I can only hope they learn from their mistakes (I know, I know... managing my own expectations)....
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: December 23, 2011, 01:09:44 AM »
I don't think the fix is official yet since it hasn't been released. If there's no PR about it, it won't be covered by a lot of sites.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: December 23, 2011, 01:11:32 AM »
I don't think the fix is official yet since it hasn't been released. If there's no PR about it, it won't be covered by a lot of sites.

It's been released - I just downloaded it on my three Wiis.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2195 on: December 23, 2011, 01:12:49 AM »
Quick question about this channel. I am up to the Ship yard currently so if I update my save data and I happen to come across the glitch it won't affect me right or would I have to wait and see if the glich affects me to download it?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: December 23, 2011, 01:15:08 AM »

Oh really? I thought it was still in the works. Well, I haven't seen any official PR for it, so I'm still not sure if that exists.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: December 23, 2011, 01:42:48 AM »

Oh really? I thought it was still in the works. Well, I haven't seen any official PR for it, so I'm still not sure if that exists.

It's there, I promise. :D

I think it helps prove my point that a Nintendo fan/gamer hasn't even heard that the fix was officially released. :D

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2198 on: December 23, 2011, 06:31:24 AM »
Reality is a Nintendo fanboy. Thankfully, someone is.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: December 23, 2011, 08:36:54 AM »
I was wondering why everyone was complaining about the musical notes part and then I got to it and said, "Oh..." The Song of the Hero stretch of the game has been especially awful.

I don't have too much further to go. I believe there's one more Silent Realm. I'm trying to get the fancy shield from the Thunder Dragon. I had to quit after the 5th round because I forgot how to beat Koloktos and lost most of my hearts in that round. I should be able to get the shield tonight. I know where 3 of the last 4 heart pieces are but since I'm never going to beat Fun Fun Island, I'm not too concerned. The Thunder Dragon has 1 and the mine kart mini-game has the other that I know of. The last one might be in a Goddess Cube since I completed all the Gratitude Crystal quests. I may only have a like 1 or 2 Goodess Cubes left to find.

Fledge was a total dick with the last pumpkins in the Pumpkin Pull mini-game. I scored 580 three different times. He takes so long to throw them then throws really far and/or high as time is winding down.