Author Topic: Circuit City to liquidate assets starting Saturday  (Read 24123 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Re: Circuit City to liquidate assets starting Saturday
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2009, 02:35:13 PM »
All my reasons for banning Mario are in the dramathreadofthecentury. Let's not make this one too.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2009, 02:37:12 PM »
Party pooper.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2009, 02:39:13 PM »
lol... Pale is a trainwreck pimp!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2009, 05:30:56 PM »
When EGM closed it's doors, when people brought up the fact that EGM's entire business model was fail, everyone was all "oh, boo hoo, what about the people who are losing their jobs?"

When Circuit City is closing, everyone's circling them like vultures, trying to get good deals and saying things like "they deserved to close!"

Wow.

Not me!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2009, 06:00:38 PM »
When EGM closed it's doors, when people brought up the fact that EGM's entire business model was fail, everyone was all "oh, boo hoo, what about the people who are losing their jobs?"

When Circuit City is closing, everyone's circling them like vultures, trying to get good deals and saying things like "they deserved to close!"

Wow.

I feel like I'm back on Slashdot again, where every time a lot of people cheered or jeered at something, someone would accuse "everyone" of hypocrisy because "everyone" had done the opposite in some other circumstance.  Last time I checked, we hadn't spontaneously joined together as a gestalt entity.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2009, 07:05:52 PM »
I feel like I'm back on Slashdot again, where every time a lot of people cheered or jeered at something, someone would accuse "everyone" of hypocrisy because "everyone" had done the opposite in some other circumstance.  Last time I checked, we hadn't spontaneously joined together as a gestalt entity.

That word is blacklisted around here.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2009, 08:48:38 PM »

Wow... I didn't know using "everyone" in a general sense was a faux-pas now.  Lemme fix...

When EGM closed it's doors, and some individuals brought up the fact that EGM's entire business model was fail, several others jumped in and was all "oh, boo hoo, what about the people who are losing their jobs?"

Now that Circuit City is closing, several people are circling them like vultures, trying to get good deals and saying things like "they deserved to close!", Meanwhile, no one's jumped up in the defense of the several thousand people losing their jobs.

Wow.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2009, 12:11:38 PM »
That word is blacklisted around here.

Still protesting.

Wow... I didn't know using "everyone" in a general sense was a faux-pas now.

It just rubbed me the wrong way because of the implication of groupthink.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2009, 01:31:31 PM »
Bobs just mad cuz Wal*mart is next ;)
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2009, 11:02:02 PM »
It DOES suck that a **** ton of people are losing their jobs, but if that's going to happen, the rest of us might as well get some sweet deals while we've got the chance.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2009, 09:23:08 AM »
I see it this way:

As a whole (in terms of employees) YES, it does suck that they're losing their jobs in these tough times.

Though when you walk into a Circuit City you usually realize in 5 mins that half (or more..) of the employees there DON'T WANT TO BE THERE and don't bether to help you in the slightest.. so how bad can you really feel?
Oh and the reason why these people got hired in the first place is usualy INCOMPOTENT MANAGEMENT which brings me to my next point:

As a whole (in terms of business & management) I'm GLAD to see the company go down because they didn't know how to run **** at all. Even in this rough economy Best Buy and the likes manage to keep in business, Circuit City though has been losing money for a while now and its not because of outside forces, they've been killin themselves for just being bad at busines. You reap what you sow, tough luck.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2009, 03:01:59 PM »
There's a sharp difference between what you feel for a company, and what you feel for it's employees.  Sometimes, I think people forget that corporations are a separate legal entity.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2009, 03:06:48 PM »
Mhmm. And if Best Buy rips people off like Pale mentioned previously, it means they have one less competitor now.

As they say, you sew what you rip.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2009, 03:13:54 PM »
This all could've been in the Amazing Deals thread.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2009, 03:19:29 PM »
This all could've been in the Amazing Deals thread.

It would of been derailed by people being emo for CC employees just like the EGM thread.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2009, 03:25:33 PM »
NWR is above derailment.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2009, 03:45:49 PM »
NWR is above derailment.

Lets talk about politics.. for the love of God don't! uh oh, now we're taling about about religion sort of!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 03:48:41 PM by EasyCure »

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2009, 09:23:47 PM »
Games are 20% off

Offline SirSniffy

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2009, 10:36:55 AM »
I swung by there yesterday, but unfortunately, I am in the NYC area...the discounts are not large enough to be any kind of real savings it merely negated the sales tax in many cases. Circuit City also raised the prices of many games to the original price. For example, The Last Remnant for Xbox360 is regularly $39.99. At CC they raised the price back to $59.99. In many cases, games that would normally be $29.99 now were raised to the original $39.99, - $59.99.

Also the selection of Nintendo Wii and other system games there was pretty atrocious. Lego Indiana Jones, Old Naruto games, Pixar movie games abound, so you see, is it really a deal? They also put the Wii game prices back to the original prices. I am hoping they go down to 50% at the very end, then it might be worthwhile for me.
On the surface simplicity...but the darkest pit in me...is Pagan Poetry...Pagan Poetry...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2009, 12:51:18 PM »
I stopped by Circuit city yesterday, their prices aren't very good. When you take a DVD that everyone else sells for $15, mark it up to $22 and then give it a 20% discount, you are not giving a deal.

I was tempted to by a  Wiispeak for about $24 though.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2009, 01:08:21 PM »
I swung by there yesterday, but unfortunately, I am in the NYC area...the discounts are not large enough to be any kind of real savings it merely negated the sales tax in many cases. Circuit City also raised the prices of many games to the original price. For example, The Last Remnant for Xbox360 is regularly $39.99. At CC they raised the price back to $59.99. In many cases, games that would normally be $29.99 now were raised to the original $39.99, - $59.99.

Also the selection of Nintendo Wii and other system games there was pretty atrocious. Lego Indiana Jones, Old Naruto games, Pixar movie games abound, so you see, is it really a deal? They also put the Wii game prices back to the original prices. I am hoping they go down to 50% at the very end, then it might be worthwhile for me.

Weird, I haven't noticed any of that near me. The one in my town has almost no games left, and I was there about a week ago or so. If you can I suggest coming up to westchester and checking out the one in White Plains, ny. I was there 2 days ago and the game selection was still pretty big with some gems here and there. I was actually deciding on whether or not I should get one of like 5 games then and there so I don't risk coming back when the discount is greater but the games are gone.

They were:

Boom blox (39.99, not marked up)
Skate it
Rock band 2
Bully (29.99, also not marked up)

And maybe another game or 2 I can't remember. Also, although I have no interest in itj the Harvey Birdman game was actually reduced to a handwritten $16 and change, and I don't believe that was the price after the 20% discount.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2009, 01:38:13 PM »
My friend got Too Human for $30 at CC yesterday.  Compare that to a used cope at GameStop for $35.  Also, the GHWT bundle for Wii is down to about $150.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2009, 12:24:30 PM »
gestalt

This is a video game forum and I am outraged at your use of big words! And enraged too!

*rages around ragefully*
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2009, 03:06:46 PM »
That's not a big word.  It's just a rarely used German loanword (that doesn't mean the same thing in English as it does in German).  Floccinaucinihilipilification is a big word.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 03:09:06 PM by UltimatePartyBear »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2009, 03:16:31 PM »
That's not a big word.  It's just a rarely used German loanword (that doesn't mean the same thing in English as it does in German).  Floccinaucinihilipilification is a big word.

Stop being a sesquipedalianist.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144