Author Topic: I loves me my 360  (Read 37339 times)

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
I loves me my 360
« on: May 28, 2008, 02:40:37 PM »
So a week and a half ago I did it, I took the plunge, bought a nice new HD TV (32" samsung, *glee*) and bought a 360.

I never thought I would say this but, the 360 is freaking awesome. I even realize I like *gasp* halo 3. My first 4 games are dead rising, halo 3, gta IV and gears of war. All are fun in their own way and Xbox live just makes everything that much more awesome.

I wish Nintendo would have just copied microsoft in this regard.

The marketplace is really what is holding my interest though, Ikaruga on DC was one of my favorite games and I am so happy to be able to play it without having to hook up my broken down DC (well the system is fine but the controllers, not so much).

Pacman CE has me glued to my Xbox longer than any game on the Wii has and going through each game to unlock achievements is strangely addicting.

It's weird how I look forward to just coming home to beat a high score just to see myself move up on a ladderboard and so I could show off to my Live buddies . . . it makes me happy to enjoy gaming again.

All in all I couldn't be happier with my purchase and I hope to see some of you on Live one of these days ;)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: I loves me my 360
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 02:43:30 PM »
I give it six months before you system breaks.  ;)  Also, happy belated birthday.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 02:46:28 PM »
Lol yeah I am praying it doesn't break that soon and thanks for the birthday wishes =D

(I lol'ed at the following posts there after)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 02:58:39 PM »
If you're going to be this proud, at least post your gamertag. Thank you.

Edit: D'oh. My bad.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 03:02:06 PM by Caliban »

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 03:00:41 PM »
I did in the gamertag forum =D (I didn't want to be redundant)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 03:35:12 PM »
Mario Kart tournament is tonight.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 10:41:31 PM »
Nothing says a great next generation system like one where the best experience is a 20+ year old arcade game.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 11:09:42 PM »
Nintendo shouldn't copy Xbox Live from Microsoft, they should follow the chain. Microsoft copied SegaNet from Sega and called it Xbox Live, Sony copied Xbox Live from Microsoft and called it PlayStation Network, so Nintendo needs to copy PlayStation Network from Sony and call it Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection 2.0.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 11:53:31 PM »
If only Nintendo could get Pac-Man CE on WiiWare... *sigh*
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 11:57:20 PM »
If only Nintendo could get Pac-Man CE on WiiWare... *sigh*

give it more time, they will come around.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 12:08:16 AM »
Well I just had my first real LIVE experience tonight with some Halo 3 and GTA IV multiplayer with a bunch of people from work, so much fun =D

Voice chat is win.

"Nothing says a great next generation system like one where the best experience is a 20+ year old arcade game."

I didn't say it was the best experience but damn is it fun! Bomberman live is great as well.

I still love the classics and Xbox hits everything right on the head with its great and easy to use presentation and simple, effective and non-crap like online system. It's all about connectivity for me, I like being instantly connected to all of my friends with the system, I like how easy it is to make multiplayer games on LIVE no matter what game it is you pick.

The point of any system is to give the end user a fun experience. Nintendo failed me this gen and MS has succeeded.

Now I am just debating selling my Wii or not . . . still on the fence about it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 12:15:39 AM by Mashiro »

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 12:09:25 AM »
Voice chat is win.

See right there makes me wonder if you're telling the truth about owning a 360 now.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 12:20:12 AM »
Also,  Pacman CE isn't the 20+ year old arcade version of the game, I recommend checking it out it's a lot of fun.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 12:34:45 AM »
The difference between owning an XBox 360 and owning a Wii is a little like the difference between carebears and PvPers in MMOs I think. They exist in the same space, but I for one just CANNOT understand gankers and people who play on PvP servers. I guess the feeling's mutual since sometimes they look at me as if I'm something less than a gamer at times. More important to me is lots of crafter items, flavor content, storyline I can play through, PvE events, holidays, farmable items, and empty houses for RP use...

Likewise, with the XBox 360, I simply don't want voice chat, nor do I care at all for high-score leaderboards. I want a good and easy online experience, that's for sure, but just as a matter of aesthetics and convenience and not as a matter of power-features.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying your XBox 360 Mashiro! Is it true what they say about COD IV being better than Halo III though?

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 01:02:26 AM »
Thanks and it's hard to say I haven't played COD IV yet TBH =)

I think one of my friends has it, I will try it the next time I am at his house and get back to you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 01:15:54 AM »
I'm going to take Mashiro's desertion of Nintendo as an admission of defeat in our debate about Paper Mario during my first week here. Seriously, though, I've learned through experience that it's never a good idea to sell a console that you don't have something newer with backward compatibility for. I've sold two consoles and I ended up rebuying them both later on.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 01:16:47 AM »
I don't know if they merely mean that they've gotten bored of Halo III because CODIV is so much newer and more interesting, or if COD IV is actually a better game though.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 01:20:41 AM »
Yeah I'm not sure . . .

As for selling my system the more I think about it the more I don't think I will. The games I have downloaded for the VC are more than enough reason to keep it.

The depressing thing about the Wii is that it looks much much worse on my new TV than before, Z:TP for example is near unplayable because it just looks awful. Brawl isn't so bad and galaxy is ok but still, I wish it had HD output more than ever.

The old pixel games still look decent for the most part . . .

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 01:27:10 AM »
Well, Zelda:TP was one of the least worhty Zelda games to begin with...*ducks*

Have you checked out our NWR blogs Mashiro? TYP (one of our staffers) recently bought an HDTV and he made a post about it! He stuck in Zelda: WW and apparently he was mesmerized by the GameCube graphics on his HDTV.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blogArt.cfm?artid=16016

It isn't about SD or HD in the end. It's about ART. Like you point out, good 8 bit art still looks pretty no matter how high def you go.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 01:27:49 AM »
I don't know if they merely mean that they've gotten bored of Halo III because CODIV is so much newer and more interesting, or if COD IV is actually a better game though.

CODIV is basically the same rehashed game that Halo 3 was. Though at least the COD series are actually fun with quite a bit of variety even if they are short. Multiplayer I would have to give to Halo but it depends what you want in a FPS game, CoD lacks vehicles while Halo has a few of them. All I know is Battlefield 2 beats both with an ugly stick.

P.S. I know what Pacman CE is, I've played it, it is still basically pacman but with spiffier graphics, larger widescreen arena,but it is still basically Pacman with not much new.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 01:30:00 AM »
Well, Zelda:TP was one of the least worhty Zelda games to begin with...*ducks*

I think you forgot to put PH in there. I have a 42 inch plasma and I think TP looks great still, perhaps too many jaggies but still it is a great looking game. Then again I'm not a graphics whore and can alternate with ease between 360/PS3 HD visuals and 480p.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 01:32:17 AM »
P.S. I know what Pacman CE is, I've played it, it is still basically pacman but with spiffier graphics, larger widescreen arena,but it is still basically Pacman with not much new.

Which is why there's no excuse why this game, or other games like it, aren't on the Wii.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 01:34:38 AM »
I'll have to check that out Kairon =) and mayhaps I'll pop in wind waker to give it a look . . . for old time sake ;)

As for pacman CE, the goal of the game is so different than the original that it makes it feel like a different game. It's tweaked gameplay and overall set up of how the stages and each mode work make it super fun, for me at least.

You cant say it's pacman with not much new because it really is a new take on an old game.

Yeah you are still eating little yellow balls and ghosts are chasing after you but the timed basis of each match and how it plays our are entirely different from the stagnant levels of old and the original goal of just clearing the stage is long gone.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 01:36:08 AM »
I'll have to check that out Kairon =) and mayhaps I'll pop in wind waker to give it a look . . . for old time sake ;)

As for pacman CE, the goal of the game is so different than the original that it makes it feel like a different game. It's tweaked gameplay and overall set up of how the stages and each mode work make it super fun, for me at least.

You cant say it's pacman with not much new because it really is a new take on an old game.

Yeah you are still eating little yellow balls and ghosts are chasing after you but the timed basis of each match and how it plays our are entirely different from the stagnant levels of old and the original goal of just clearing the stage is long gone.

I take my comment back, Pacman CE is next-generation in every way.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 01:36:30 AM »
That is true, really the visuals wouldn't have be toned down much except for the HD. Actually many of the Live Arcade games could probably come to Wii. Maybe Miyamoto can work on a sequel to Pacman Vs for Wiiware?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:39:48 AM by GoldenPhoenix »