Author Topic: Spore  (Read 10344 times)

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Spore
« on: June 04, 2007, 08:24:03 PM »
We need a thread about this amazing game. I can, without a shadow of doubt, say that I am more excited about Spore than I've ever been about any other video game ever. The sheer open-endedness of it has me enthralled, and I can't wait to get my hands on the editors. When this game is released, nobody will see me for weeks.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Spore
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 03:16:17 AM »
Spore is like Too Human and Duke Nukem Forever.  We might not be able to play it but are grandchildren will.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Spore
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 05:07:42 AM »
I anticipate becoming hopelessly addicted to this game. I anticipate losing my life to it.

I cry out in joy every time it is delayed.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Re: Spore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 11:58:41 PM »
Bump!

Did anyone else get this and install on a Mac?  It's a major pain in the ass for me to get it to run.  Basically, I click the Spore icon I stuck in my dock.  It starts bouncing and creates another Spore icon in the dock which bounces as well.  This will go on forever.  Upon checking the Force Quit menu I see that the first one (the one I put in my dock and clicked) says it's not responding.  If I force quit just that one, and then wait about 30-60 seconds, it finally fires up.  What gives?

Also, so far I'm liking it.  The beginning of the game went really quickly. Now I'm kind of stuck and have to go to bed.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 03:07:23 AM »
Mac sucks, that is why Pale. ANYWAY, I am on vacation so no Spore (I do have the CE reserved though). I cannot WAIT until I can play it!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 08:50:29 AM »
Here's the current state of my creature, if this works...

Orezelap

He's kind of sad, and dies a lot.  I'm assuming there is some way to mark "friends" on this so I can download all of you all's creatures... anyone figure that out yet?

Did anyone buy this game yet? =P
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 08:52:15 AM by Pale »
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 09:24:41 AM »
---------------------

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 11:41:51 AM »
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/RABicle

Also Pale I get the bizarro double bouncing icon too. However unlike you I'm patient and it just launches.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 12:22:45 PM »
I added you as a buddy... i hope that carries through in the game.

Also, I waited like 5 full minutes for it to start when both were bouncing...
---------------------

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 02:34:56 PM »
Hopefully the crap with the Mac version will be fixed by the time I get around to picking this up.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 02:47:16 PM »
**** this needs patching bad. I had the music repeating itself so I saved. Then exited to menu and BAM crash. I also has other strange **** happen. Nothing terribly gamebreaking but some of the missions are a bit sloppy in Space Stage. **** like it giving you directions to the wrong star and whatnot.

Also upon reading what you said again Pale I don't have your problem. When I click the spore icon, it bounces for a second and then the new one appears bounces once and it launches from that. The first one stops bouncing and I patiently wait as "spore" is written across my screen and does pretty much nothing for 30 seconds. THEN it loads. Should I be worried that the quick intro movie is never smooth either?

Honestly though, despite these bizarro bugs, for a game THIS BIG, released by EA of all people to be as stable as it is for a 1.0 build is pretty impressive.

One last thing I think they should work on or modify is, I don't want bullshit like finding earlier evolved versions of my current creature (with the same name and all) appearing on nearby stars. That's just, that's stupid. WAIT NO THAT'S SO CLEVER! I also have a lot to say about the fail that calls itself Tribe Stage. You can read about it here

Oh yeah i added you as a buddy too.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 02:52:52 PM by RABicle »

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 11:31:43 PM »
I'm tempted to pick it up for PC, but I can't because EA wants to see if they can get away with rape.

Which leaves the Wii version, but then something tells me Spore is probably going to get expansions a la Sims. Not to mention mods...

Wonder what Will Wright thinks of this...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 11:46:27 PM »
This is a pretty important subject to me. You guys should read it http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/amazon-users-slam-spore-drm
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 12:11:33 AM »
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 12:24:57 AM »
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 06:22:45 PM »
I'm tempted to pick it up for PC, but I can't because EA wants to see if they can get away with rape.

There are plenty of cracks out there to get around the DRM. That article's author is pretty fucking dumb if he thinks that only having three installs is fine and only gets upset about the spying aspect of the game.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 06:24:22 PM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 09:55:25 PM »
First game I've ever pirated.  Thanks SecuROM!

I don't really like it so far.  The creature stage lasted way too long, and the tribal stage is too hard.  I hate RTS games.  I couldn't even play Pikmin.  I haven't gotten farther than Tribal, and I'm not sure if I will.

I can't believe I upgraded my OS to Leopard just for this game.  What a waste of a birthday gift.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 11:56:22 PM »
I only have a lowly Geforce4 Ti 4400

I'm exempt from this game.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 12:26:30 AM »

There are plenty of cracks out there to get around the DRM. That article's author is pretty fucking dumb if he thinks that only having three installs is fine and only gets upset about the spying aspect of the game.

Spying, HORRIFYING.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 01:56:21 AM »
There are plenty of cracks out there to get around the DRM.

Why bother buying when you'll have to go illegal anyway (cracks violate the DMCA)?

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 01:37:51 AM »
I don't really like it so far.  The creature stage lasted way too long, and the tribal stage is too hard.  I hate RTS games.  I couldn't even play Pikmin.  I haven't gotten farther than Tribal, and I'm not sure if I will.
Once you reach tribal stage you can start a new game from Civilization stage if you want. I wouldn't recomend that though cos Civ stage is even worse. Don't throw the game away though until you unlock Space stage. Space stage is Spore.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 06:40:35 PM »
First game I've ever pirated.  Thanks SecuROM!

I can't believe I upgraded my OS to Leopard just for this game.  What a waste of a birthday gift.

Well it's pretty obvious you didn't bother to find out anything about this game before getting all excited about it, so I can't say you weren't asking to be disappointed.

Also, I spent all of a couple hours in creature stage max, and tribal is easy as hell. Suck less.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
There are plenty of cracks out there to get around the DRM.

Why bother buying when you'll have to go illegal anyway (cracks violate the DMCA)?

Well, that would be my course of action. I think that a lot of people like to pretend to have morals however, and thus get offended when entirely illegal methods are mentioned. Then again, maybe EA should invest some of its millions and millions of dollars into releasing a finished product.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 11:17:53 PM »
Well I just finished Creature stage today and I'm still having fun. Here's my finished guy on Flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/palezer0/sets/72157607239204155/
---------------------

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 06:15:57 AM »
I think I came across a less evovled creature of yours in my space game. he was struggling along at Civ Stage which is gameplay toroture so i felt sorry for him and buil a monolith, advancing him to space stage. Now he's an ally in the fight against the ****** other creatures.