Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS XL Coming to All Regions This Year  (Read 36651 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS XL Coming to All Regions This Year
« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2012, 11:09:04 PM »
Don't blame him though. He isn't the leader of the company, he still has a boss. He had no choice.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 23, 2012, 11:19:48 PM »
Oohhboy, it is a relief there is someone else who sees this the way I do. For a moment it felt like I was in some weird twilight zone episode. People really don't get why Miyamoto telling a lie was a bad thing? Really?

No, I'm not saying we should "disown" him or anything of the sort, but this is a blemish on who could otherwise be considered a great talented man. It brings him down a notch, but not so much that we should kick him to the curb or anything like that. Its just more disappointing, because we expected better out of him. Its like when there's an honor student with perfect attendance and everything, and then one day they come home with a detention slip for bullying or something. That comes as a shock because you didn't expect that...

If I dare say so, this is the sort of behavior to be expected out of Reggie. If Reggie told a lie like this it wouldn't matter because with him its habitual and to be expected. But Miyamoto? He's supposed to be the good guy!
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2012, 11:21:50 PM »
"I really feel like I'm satisfied with the 3DS hardware as it is. I feel like it's the best for this generation.  What we're thinking about right now is probably going to be for a future generation of handheld."

I suppose it really depends on how you take that statement.  Is the 3DSXL really a change in the hardware?  Sure, it's got larger screens, which, on a handheld, is technically part of the hardware, but the specs of the system are the same...

If Nintendo had said "Oh, we're going to announce the newest DS system hardware tomorrow" and pulled out the 3DSXL, people would have been very underwhelemed.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Vahne

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2012, 12:37:42 AM »
Again and again, for everyone complaining about no second analog pad:

TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS

Understand now?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2012, 07:59:50 AM »
"I really feel like I'm satisfied with the 3DS hardware as it is. I feel like it's the best for this generation.  What we're thinking about right now is probably going to be for a future generation of handheld."

I suppose it really depends on how you take that statement.  Is the 3DSXL really a change in the hardware?  Sure, it's got larger screens, which, on a handheld, is technically part of the hardware, but the specs of the system are the same...
Looking at Miyamoto's quote again, I agree. DS Lite was a complete redesign of the original. Nintendo changed everything from the shape to the materials used to some system settings like the screen brightness options. 3DS XL probably uses all of the same basic components except the screens which forces the body to be made larger. It's more like getting a different container of cookies than a "better tasting recipe."

I don't really view the 3DS XL as a revision because it's meant to be sold alongside the standard 3DS. I don't think we'll see a Lite or 3DSi version. Nintendo specifically designed the 3DS to be compact. It could be made smaller but probably not enough to justify marketing it. DSi was an anomaly. It didn't have the impact of the Gameboy Color, but it didn't cripple the brand like PSPGo either. Nintendo probably intends to ride this handheld generation out with just the XL as the only alt model. There might be a stealth revision if Nintendo shrinks the chipsets to be cheaper to manufacture, but that's more for them than anything. For a successor, Nintendo should try launching both standard and XL versions together if it's financially viable.  Maybe they couldn't do it this time, but if they plan it that way next time, they should go for it. I would get the larger version every time.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:59:09 PM by Adrock »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2012, 10:45:55 AM »
I would get the larger version every time.

That's precisely why they release the regular version first, and then come out with the better version a year later. They love it when people double dip on the hardware. That's why I seriously doubt they would ever launch a regular and XL of their hardware simultaneously. There would be fewer repeat buyers if they did that.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2012, 11:42:21 AM »
I think it was more of a cost issue. I wouldn't have bought the XL at launch if it were available anyway. The only reason I even bought the standard 3DS is because I managed to get the discount and the 20 Ambassador games. I would have been fine waiting.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 24, 2012, 12:06:18 PM »
I wouldn't have bought the XL at launch if it were available anyway.

Then why did you say you wanted it released simultaneously at launch?
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 24, 2012, 12:45:50 PM »
I didn't buy a 3DS at launch mainly because it was $250, the XL would have cost even more than that. If the XL were available last year, I would have bought it for the same reason I bought a standard 3DS last year. I'm sure early adopters would have liked the option too.

Had there been no discount and Ambassador games, I wouldn't have bought anything. Nintendo would have announced the XL though I still wouldn't have bought it until the price dropped to something I was comfortable paying. In any case, I would have always chosen the XL version. The only reason I'm double dipping here is because I got an amazing deal on the 3DS last year and there was no XL version.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 01:00:24 PM by Adrock »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 24, 2012, 12:50:45 PM »

If Nintendo had said "Oh, we're going to announce the newest DS system hardware tomorrow" and pulled out the 3DSXL, people would have been very underwhelemed.

If that's exactly what Miyamoto said there is no issue. The statement was just vague enough for him not get in trouble and not directly say something else was in the works. These XLs have been completed for long time now judging by that warehouse factory and the packaging.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2012, 08:28:57 AM »
Reviews are coming in:  It does appear that by having larger screens the 3D viewing sweet spot has increased a bit.