Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS XL Coming to All Regions This Year  (Read 36652 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS XL Coming to All Regions This Year
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2012, 12:48:51 PM »
This revision breaks compatibility with the CPP peripheral (and the games which require it). It should have been integrated into the system by default, but since they didn't do that now they have no choice but to make a new CPP peripheral to fit the XL.
No games require a Circle Pad Pro. The closest is Kid Icarus: Uprising which is apparently near unplayable for left handed people without the CPP. Even then, that's not really a requirement. Backwards people such as myself can still play the game.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2012, 12:53:36 PM »
While a larger screen is nice, pocket portability is king. I'll stick with my smaller, cheaper, midnight 3DS thank you very much.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2012, 01:06:50 PM »
This revision breaks compatibility with the CPP peripheral (and the games which require it). It should have been integrated into the system by default, but since they didn't do that now they have no choice but to make a new CPP peripheral to fit the XL.
No games require a Circle Pad Pro. The closest is Kid Icarus: Uprising which is apparently near unplayable for left handed people without the CPP. Even then, that's not really a requirement. Backwards people such as myself can still play the game.

What about a potential Call of Duty for the 3DS?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2012, 01:13:13 PM »
Never gonna happen, if the Vita has anything to say about it.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2012, 01:19:42 PM »

What about a potential Call of Duty for the 3DS?

That's exactly my point. Maybe no games require it right now, but maybe something would have in the future... but since Nintendo is breaking compatibility with it this might kill these games off before they are even born. Is it more likely we are going to get a COD game with awkward controls or simply no COD game whatsoever? When it comes to FPS genre games you NEED this.

I think this is the very reason why the 3DS has not received any COD game to date.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2012, 01:22:11 PM »
That's exactly my point. Maybe no games require it right now, but maybe something would have in the future... but since Nintendo is breaking compatibility with it this might kill these games off before they are even born. Is it more likely we are going to get a COD game with awkward controls or simply no COD game whatsoever? When it comes to FPS genre games you NEED this.

They could always do a 3rd person Call of Duty.  Sony Bend managed a pretty brilliant solution to the whole "1 stick" problem with Resistance Retribution on the PSP, where you used the face buttons to move a "window" in front of your character with auto-aiming within that window.  That, of course, assumes a great deal more creativity from Activision than I think they're willing to do for a portable game.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2012, 01:25:09 PM »
That, of course, assumes a great deal more creativity from Activision than I think they're willing to do for a portable game.

Especially when they can just simply ignore the 3DS altogether and support the Vita instead, which is exactly what they are doing.

Once again, another terrible move on the part of Nintendo that is driving away 3rd party support.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2012, 01:27:11 PM »
I doubt any game will ever require it. The right circle pad might make the controls better and more intuitive but almost every game a company would conceivably release on a handheld can be made without it.
I think this is the very reason why the 3DS has not received any COD game to date.
I doubt it. There were Call of Duty games on DS and that didn't have 1 circle pad.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2012, 01:31:08 PM »
I doubt any game will ever require it.

That's the nature of peripherals. How many games required the Classic Controller on the Wii? And how many games required the Motion Plus peripheral? That's always the way things go with peripherals. That's why if you want a feature to be supported it has to be INTEGRATED BY DEFAULT. If its not there by default, developers won't support it.

TJ says Nintendo will not integrate it until there is at least one game that requires it, but this is a catch 22, because no game will ever require it until it is integrated. So if it isn't integrated it will never happen.

There were Call of Duty games on DS and that didn't have 1 circle pad.

The key word here is "were". I think the last one was Black Ops which came out in 2010 which was two years ago. MW3 didn't come to the DS nor the 3DS, and there has been no announcement of Black Ops 2 either so that probably won't happen. What is your explanation for this?

And before you point out that the 3DS doesn't have the install base that the DS has, let me point out the Vita is getting it and its install base is even smaller than the 3DS. So that can't be the reason.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 01:37:29 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2012, 01:42:20 PM »
I still don't understand why this is a big deal. Nothing is stopping companies from supporting the CPP. Some games support it, some games don't even need it. Even if the right circle pad was included, no game would require it because then they would alienate all the people who don't have it. The right circle pad would always be an option. One could argue that it should have been there from the beginning but that's water under the bridge.

It would have been nice if Nintendo used this new model to include it but it seems like most companies can live without it. Capcom could have held Monster Hunter ransom again to force Nintendo to include the right circle pad but they didn't. Seems like they're satisfied with the CPP. Nintendo will release a CPP XL and I'll probably buy that when I eventually get Kid Icarus Uprising.
What is your explanation for this?
Modern Warfare 3: Defiance came out last November for DS. It was developed by n-Space. My guess is that Activision hasn't moved development to 3DS yet. I highly doubt it has anything to do with the missing right circle pad which can still be supported if they want to use it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 01:50:10 PM by Adrock »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2012, 01:50:16 PM »
I still don't understand why this is a big deal.

COD is currently the best selling video game franchise on the market. You don't understand why the fact this franchise is completely absent from the 3DS is a big deal?

Nintendo will release a CPP XL

One would hope so, but so far that has not been announced.

I don't think this will be the only 3DS revision anyway. Nintendo will probably do at least one more, and so there is still a chance this could be integrated.
is your sanity...

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2012, 01:55:35 PM »
too bad it wont be available in just black in NA, the two colours on offer don't tickle my fancy. oh well, its not that big a deal.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2012, 01:59:10 PM »
COD is currently the best selling video game franchise on the market. You don't understand why the fact this franchise is completely absent from the 3DS is a big deal?
I was referring to the right circle pad, not Call of Duty.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2012, 04:06:05 PM »
Never bet against Nintendo releasing unnecessary peripherals for their systems. There will be a Circle Pad Pro XL.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
Never bet against Nintendo releasing unnecessary peripherals for their systems. There will be a Circle Pad Pro XL.

It wouldn't be necessary if they hadn't already released the CPP for the original 3DS, but since they already did that now they have to do it for the XL as well.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2012, 04:14:56 PM »
They don't have to. They will, but they don't have to. The only reason the CPP exists is Monster Hunter, and since that's already wrapped up and given how terribly the Vita is doing in Japan, Nintendo could just say screw it and not do one, but that would mean they wouldn't be able to get people to pay them $20 for no good reason, which is not something Nintendo would pass up.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2012, 04:19:09 PM »
How much of that $20 would be profit, though? Probably not much, if any.

Anyway, has anyone put any thought into what a CPP XL would do to the size of the 3DS XL? The regular CPP took the lightweight 3DS handheld and ballooned it in size to a jumbo Gamegear level. Imagine what something like that would do to the XL model which is already large to begin with.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2012, 04:22:27 PM »
For a hunk of plastic with a few wires in it, there would be a pretty significant margin on that for Nintendo. I'd bet they could sell it at $10 and still be making money.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2012, 04:23:36 PM »
Anyway, has anyone put any thought into what a CPP XL would do to the size of the 3DS XL?
Anyone even interested in the XL is probably not too worried about size. A CPP XL isn't going to change that mindset.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2012, 04:52:14 PM »
I want to see what it would look like. I bet it would push the boundary of what could be considered "portable".

On the other hand, it is conceivable Nintendo could come up with a way of adding on the second analog pad without substantially increasing the size of the system.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2012, 05:06:51 PM »
Could Nintendo do a last minute revision to include the second cirlce pad?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2012, 05:07:38 PM »
They could. They won't, but they could.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2012, 05:10:22 PM »
I don't think so, because this thing is only a few weeks from launching. The only feasible possibility is that the change was already made some time ago and the revision we seen yesterday isn't the version that's entered mass production. I don't think that's very likely though.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 05:13:18 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2012, 10:24:53 PM »
I want my 3DS XL in black with a second stick and 4 shoulder buttons.
Cant give me that nintendo? i'll just use my launch day 3DS

They gotta save something for "revision" #2.

First they resell you the SUV model.

then they release the CPP built in version of the regular (that has inward facing 3D cameras) and make you buy that (3DSi)

and then they can release the CPP built-in version (also with inward facing 3D cameras) in XL (3DSiXL)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2012, 11:22:59 PM »
I want my 3DS XL in black with a second stick and 4 shoulder buttons.
Cant give me that nintendo? i'll just use my launch day 3DS

They gotta save something for "revision" #2.

First they resell you the SUV model.

then they release the CPP built in version of the regular (that has inward facing 3D cameras) and make you buy that (3DSi)

and then they can release the CPP built-in version (also with inward facing 3D cameras) in XL (3DSiXL)

But where is the 3DS Lite? And if the original 3DS is the "Lite", then where is the 3DS Phat? It seems like we're missing something here.
is your sanity...