Author Topic: Pokemon Black and White  (Read 118879 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Pokemon Black and White
« on: January 30, 2010, 02:29:57 PM »
Satoru Iwata announces the next generation of the Pokemon series to hit DS later this year...

After the 2006 launch of Diamond & Pearl proved that the Pokemon franchise is a strong as ever, it's little surprise to learn that Nintendo have under development the next main iteration for the series. What is surprising, however, is that it seems the next generation of Pokemon will be the first to release on the same console as its predecessor.
At Nintendo's official Q3 report, president Satoru Iwata confirmed the existence of a new Pokemon title for Nintendo DS, and that it "should become one of the most anticipated Nintendo DS titles for this year". Iwata-san went on to confirm that the next game will be set in a brand new area, and will feature new critters to capture. He also stated that "As a totally new version, it will contain various unprecedented experiences".

What would you like to see from the next Pokemon game? Drop a comment below...

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=13839

I am totaly for Pokemon doing new things, it's about time. Even if the visual style went to 3D I think it would be awesome, with actual animations in the pokemon. And not horribly slow paced battles of the other 3D games. I don't mind the animations that the pokemon have, but I would really like to see them connect pokemon attacks better, and at least have 2 or 3 seperate animations when they are standing around waiting for orders.

I can't believe Diamond and Pearl came out almost 4 full years ago. Doesn't seem that long at all. I think this more than anything confirms that our current systems are going to have longer legs than we previously imagined.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 01:06:49 AM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Next Gen Pokemon confirmed for DS
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 02:45:37 PM »
I have my doubts that this is anything more than being exactly the same game but with a new land to explore. There's a lot of potential if they do decide to push the series though, so hopefully they go that route. Though I think this would have been a better time to move the series to Wii.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 03:06:24 PM »
My question is why would Nintendo be doing this now, on the DS, if they really are planning on launching its successor next year. A new Pokemon would be a hell of a killer app at launch.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 03:15:15 PM »
Are they actually planning to release a DS successor next year, or was that just speculation/wishful thinking?

I actually wouldn't be surprised if these ended up being DSi-exclusive games.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 03:32:18 PM »
It's just speculation, but there's a lot of people speculating it and some of them (including the entire RFN crew) seem pretty damn sure. My post wasn't so much questioning Nintendo as it was questioning the validity of the speculation.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 03:45:33 PM »
I actually submitted this news to NWR 2 days ago and I haven't seen them post it yet.
Only problem was that it was all in Japanese, so I figured they would get their Japanese correspondent to translate.

And I'm willing to bet that this will have entire sections that are DSi only to help push DSi sales over DS sales and get people to double dip.

As far as DS2..... anythings possible, but with the way DS/i is selling right now, I wouldn't even entertain the idea until we see how things go this coming xmas.
I'm pretty sure we all know that Nintendo has probably already finalized their design and could have the system to market in 6 months if necessary, but there is just no reason to rush to market at this point.

A new Pokemon game would be a killer app for a DS2 though.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 10:08:38 PM »
Though I think this would have been a better time to move the series to Wii.

The main series relies on being on portable systems - how else are you going to sell one game for the price of two?

Pokemon is short for Pocket Monsters, don't forget. I can't fit a Wii in my pocket, and I've got pretty big pants.

Quote from: Mop_it_up
I actually wouldn't be surprised if these ended up being DSi-exclusive games.

The last time they had two generations of Pokemon playable was Gold/Silver, and they were enhanced for the Game Boy Color. The 3rd game in the generation was GBC-exclusive.

I wouldn't be shocked if this generation ends up in the same boat.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 10:39:35 PM »
The main series relies on being on portable systems - how else are you going to sell one game for the price of two?
It doesn't really need to be portable any more, though. With Wi-Fi, it allows you to trade and battle with people from all around the world, so being on a portable no longer matters. Plus, the Wii Remote could store your Pokémon team so you could take it over to a friend's place to battle or trade. It doesn't need to have two (or three) versions of the same game either, that's just a marketing gimmick.

It's called Pocket Monsters because the monsters live inside of special containers called PokéBalls that people carry around in their pockets. It has nothing to do with the game originally appearing on a portable system.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 10:56:58 PM »
Well this is nice news. I figure that Gen V will be coming out sometime in Nov-Dec. This would give everybody time to complete Heart Gold and Soul Silver and transfer of all their pokemon over. If Gen V is on the DSi than I am going to have to pick up a DSi. I need another DS that I can trade with myself.

I'm kinda wondering what they can do with the Legendarys. After Arceus it is going to be hard to top that. Anybody got any ideas on possible pre volutions/evolutions or maybe new pokemon?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 11:56:15 PM »
**** adding more legendaries, there was far too many in D/P/Pl.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 04:19:59 PM »
**** adding more legendaries, there was far too many in D/P/Pl.

Way to freakin many! Other Pokemon like Jynx, and Primeape, could have gotten evolutions. And less epic pokemon like Garchomp need to be introduced. Or at least make some of the weaker Pokemon more competetive with really unique moves. Like how they gave Aggron Head Smash wich makes its bad typing not so bad with that move.

RomanceDawn

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 05:15:01 PM »
I want to see evolutions and devolutions of legendary pokemon. Like a primal bird that evolves into either Arcticuno, Zapdos and Moltress depending on how you raise it or a normal type gerbil that can evolve into Suicine, Entei or Raikou (sp?).
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 06:42:40 PM »
or a normal type gerbil that can evolve into Suicine, Entei or Raikou (sp?).

Um, why would a gerbil evolve into a dog (those are the legendary dogs)?

As for the DS successor, I don't see it coming out for at least another 2-3 years. The DS is selling better than it ever has.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 06:52:38 PM »
Those things are cats!

RomanceDawn

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 07:25:25 PM »
or a normal type gerbil that can evolve into Suicine, Entei or Raikou (sp?).

Um, why would a gerbil evolve into a dog (those are the legendary dogs)?

Quote from: Caterkiller
Those things are cats!

That just answered your question. The running joke on Pokemon message boards that Raikou, Entei and Suicune are legendary gerbils due to conflicting evidence. It's supposed to be flamewar retardant.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 08:45:16 PM »
Is there a problem with adding more legendaries? Are the existing ones overpowered or something?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 09:11:56 PM »
No, it's just that Diamond and Pearl added 13 legendary Pokemon (Generation 1 started with 5, Generation 2 added 6 more, Generation 3 added 7 or 10 (depending on if you count the Regi's). So 12.1% of this gens Pokemon were legendary.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 12:24:11 AM »
Rven if they are over powered or not it's not such a big deal, because certain tournaments will leave out those ubers. But like TJ said, 13 new legendaries to hog up the roster! Those spaces could have went to other pokemon that could help balance out Steath Rockers and such.

RomanceDawn

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 03:58:26 AM »
Shaymin knows their stuff. Those are certainly Legendary Gerbils if I've ever seen one ;)

What are Steath Rockers, Cater?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 04:25:07 AM »
In the 4th Gen there was a new move called Stealth Rock. It is a entry hazard much like Spikes and Toxic Spikes. The move Stealth Rocks is a Rock type move. Being that stealth rock is a rock type move. Bug,fire,flying and ice types has been used less because the move is crippling. Say you have a Butterfree that enters the battle after that teams first pokemon is lost. Since it is a bug/flying type it takes half of its HP just switching in. Moltres has the same problem.Articuno same. Any flying type that isn't one of the above types takes 25% of its health swiching in.
Everybody that isn't those types take normal damage.About as much as what leftovers can recover. Typical Stealth rock users are Skarmary,Aerodactly  and Bronzong. Skarmory is probably the best at its job since it can use Whirlwind which forces the pokemon out and the pokemon coming in gets Stealth rock damage.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• Little Black Rain Cloud
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
    • moronsonofboron @ deviantART
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 05:41:32 AM »
My Pokemon wishlist, or some part of it:
Customizable avatars, befriend and play with strangers online, official online database of Pokemon players and rosters, complete official online guide and database for Pokemon, items, and moves, Facebook applications for berry farming, open-ended Gym progression, full access to all previous regions and leagues, password-locked deletion, optional touch-only controls...
Eat lightning and crap thunder.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 01:34:46 PM »
I've always wanted a 3D console Pokemon that DOES NOT SUCK.  I want it to be about capturing Pokemon and such and have as much depth of the portable games.  If Pokemon Gold/Silver is A Link to the Past, I want Pokemon's Ocarina of Time and I want it on a console.  Or hell if they really want to do that two games thing then how about making a game for the DS and one for the Wii and the only way to unlock everything in each game is to own BOTH?  So it's not just one kid gets Blue and his friend gets Red it's each kid owning BOTH games and requiring both systems to have the complete package.  The sales potential is huge.

Pokemon is an awesome franchise ruined by corporate greed.  Red/Blue and Gold/Silver are the only games that truly impressed me, one for introducing the whole thing and the other for being an amazing sequel that just upped everything.  Since then the "real" games seem to coast and don't seem to have the same effort put into them as Gold/Silver did.  And the spinoffs have turned to complete garbage.

Even on the DS bringing the series into 3D would change a lot.  As an overhead-viewed game Pokemon in 3D would be an easy transition.

As for doing this on the DS, where it doesn't make much sense, I'll point out that for whatever reason Nintendo released the Zelda Oracle games for the GBC right around the time the GBA launched.  It seemed like a REALLY dumb thing to do but since the GBA was backwards compatible they were effectively GBA games as well and even had a unique shop that was only accessible on the GBA.  Nintendo also launched the Wii with a game that was also available for the Gamecube.  I think they figure this won't cut into launch sales since launches always sell out anyway.  Meanwhile they release a major game that ALL Nintendo customers can buy regardless of which system they own.  Making it a DSi exclusive would be a good way to make DSi owners not feel ripped off but would make original DS owners want to upgrade to the DS2, which will naturally be backwards compatible with the DSi.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 08:57:26 PM »
Pokemon is an awesome franchise ruined by corporate greed.
My own sentiment exactly. The series has potential, but the developers seem content in sticking so close to the original formula. Even certain spin-offs have the potential to be something amazing (I loved Pokémon Snap).

My Pokemon wishlist, or some part of it:
Customizable avatars, befriend and play with strangers online, official online database of Pokemon players and rosters, complete official online guide and database for Pokemon, items, and moves, Facebook applications for berry farming, open-ended Gym progression, full access to all previous regions and leagues, password-locked deletion, optional touch-only controls...
None of that sounds like anything which will happen. :(

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 02:05:38 AM »
WHAT DON'T WE WANT?
LEGENDARIES
WHEN DONT WE WANT THEM?
EVER