Author Topic: A particular subgroup of the Nintendo fan base annoys me greatly.  (Read 11624 times)

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
I'm finding that I don't really mind those who are critics of Nintendo and have never been interested in the company's success. Instead, the ones that bother me (see: annoy) are those lapsed Nintendo fans who were once huge fans who are now essentially crapping all over everything Nintendo does nowadays no matter how big or how small. They come across as extremely bitter, like a jaded boyfriend. Always bitching about every single thing Nintendo does, making mountains out of molehills, and being extremely negative at every turn.

It gets to the point where they complain about everything, so it just becomes noise eventually. When something worthwhile to complain about Nintendo occurs, I find myself overlooking what this particular subgroup in gaming has to say because everything else has just run together as noise.

It's not to say that Nintendo doesn't deserve criticism, but the constant nitpicking over every facet of how Nintendo operates, its games, and its hardware, it becomes tedious with all of the incessant bitching.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: A particular subgroup of the Nintendo fan base annoys me greatly.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 05:04:36 PM »
I agree completely. It makes it nearly impossible to filter out the "white noise of a scorned fan" from actual legit criticism.

"Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

"The passionate fan flames the madness"

Now that I'm done with the quotes. They even make solid points but they get lost in the sauce. It's like being married to a lawyer( D.A)  that wants to convict by any means necessary.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 05:10:46 PM »
I don't mind the criticism, especially when it's warranted. It's the repetition that I find unnecessary. Like I said in another thread: State your case, state it proud, but for the love of Jebus, state it once. We all know Nintendo's issues, and they deserve criticism at times. It's totally lame that entire threads are ruined by all the negativity. I've gotten to the point where I don't even bother posting a rebuttal because it just continues conversations that we don't need to have again. Even this conversation doesn't really need to happen again (no offense, Phil). I don't care to try to change someone's mind nor will I argue someone's opinion on a topic unless it's based on faulty reasoning or they're pushing flat-out false information. Lately, however, I'll catch myself about to respond then I just delete that part or even the entire response and move onto a different thread that hopefully has not and will not descend into clusterfuckery. It isn't worth the trouble. I'd rather talk about things I like than argue about what someone doesn't like.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:15:11 PM by Adrock »

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 05:16:10 PM »
Oh, no offense taken, Adrock. I didn't know this topic has been done before or repeatedly.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 05:32:25 PM »
I've always disliked the eternal optimists - those that take any criticism towards Nintendo as blasphemy.  "Nintendo is always right."  No matter what, even if provides zero benefit to Nintendo or its customers, it seems like there is a defense.

Now you might say I'm generalizing and being unfair.  Maybe you legtimately are pleased with your Nintendo experience and don't consider yourself an eternal optimist.  Well, yeah, that goes both ways.  People who legitimately are not happy with Nintendo right now but used to be and like them enough that they want them to get their act together aren't necessarily eternal pessimists and might feel their criticism is valid and comes from a desire to see Nintendo improve.

If you're on the other side you might just see endless bitching or endless defense or you might call it trolling and fanboyism.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 06:40:39 PM »
It's good to feel loved.   :rolleyes:

You know, I could just as easily make a similar topic about the gushing, nauseating Nintendo sycophants that I see here as well...but I won't. The day Nintendo stops being the running gag of the video game industry, known more for unwanted gimmicks than innovation, ambition, and craftsmanship (I.e. the Nintendo I knew for years, rather than this lazy, cheap pretender) is the day they stop deserving the criticism I give them.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 07:46:06 PM »
I see both extremes here. You guys DO know that it doesn't have to be black and white, right?
We can have a gray area of people who don't worship Nintendo's every move and also don't curse at every move Nintendo makes, yes?

I don't like being called an eternal optimist because I'm not always complaining about everything Nintendo does. Unless I'm mistaken by your post, Ian Sane.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 09:10:51 PM »
I guess I am guilty of this, but my feelings are mostly new, up till a few years ago I was on the Nintendo can do no wrong side, despite constantly defending things I personally thought were stupid, I just got tired of being phoney. The truth is I do love Nintendo, and I have every intention of getting a Wii U, as soon as the price comes down, I have stated repeatedly that my position is the machine is over priced for what you get, that is all no endless negativity. but when pressed for why I feel that way I give my reasons, is that so wrong? Sometimes I wake up and I watch some AVGN and I get super excited for Nintendo and I come here all full of nostalgia and hope, then I read some stupid new thing they are doing that only further alienates their customers and I see the cheerleaders come out to hate on those who don't like the new whatever it be. Personally I am super excited for three games on the Wii U, I have stated that repeatedly, but and I reitterate this for the relevence, the Wii U is not the same as N64 or GC, it might have the great Nintendo games but it is underpowered for the price, it is essentially a PS3 crammed into a Wii box with a tablet tacked on. If the N64 had been nothing but a Super NES with a funky new 3 pronged controller it would have been a damn flop too. I still love Nintendo games but I am just losing interest in the consoles mainly. BUT I know that will change, I got into GC at the end of 2003 when it had more games and a deep price drop so I expect to get into Wii U at a similar point, when there are enough games to justify the price that is all.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 09:46:54 PM »
I see both extremes here. You guys DO know that it doesn't have to be black and white, right?
We can have a gray area of people who don't worship Nintendo's every move and also don't curse at every move Nintendo makes, yes?
No, our society doesn't know anything about being moderate or reasonable.  Everyone just stays at one extreme or the other and yells about how the other side is completely wrong.

The thing I don't understand is why people who are so bitter about what Nintendo has become keep posting on forums like this day after day.  It's not like posting the same complaints over and over is going to change anything Nintendo does and it just makes virtually every conversation a big mess.  Personally, if I was so disenfranchised with Nintendo and had so little hope that they'd change, I'd find something better to spend my free time doing then rehashing the same worn out conversations.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 10:01:57 PM »
I think a lot of us are pissed that we bought a Wii U, thinking Nintendo would have gotten third parties to get on board, and now we have $300 Mario Game Players.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 11:33:20 PM »
There is criticism and there is blind nostalgia based whining.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 11:40:13 PM »
I think a lot of us are pissed that we bought a Wii U, thinking Nintendo would have gotten third parties to get on board, and now we have $300 Mario Game Players.

This sounds about right. I'm not one of them. Wonderful 101 and Mario3dWorld justifies my purchase. It does seem like people really expected something else, something less Nintendo more Sony I guess. when That didn't happen( for the 3 console gen in a row) people feel betrayed. As an Philadelphia Eagles fan I can understand that. As a Nintendo Fan I don't. I never expected more than this and because I'm aware of the Matrix around me, I'm more free to enjoy my time in it.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 12:12:43 AM »
I can only think of one person on these boards who is either an eternal optimist and/or a believer in Nintendo doing no wrong. Even then that person disappeared a long time ago I think. How many blind fanboys are even left around here? I love the Wii U and certainly expected more 3rd party activity and a system wide voice chat but I'd be lying if I said I didn't adore Miiverse, off tv play and the games available to me now.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:05:55 AM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 02:51:25 AM »
I really want to love my Wii U, anything I could say to recommend it to anyone else to justify my own purchase would be great.
But good Lord does Nintendo make it hard for me to do that. I can't even recommend or as a Netflix player, even though I use it as one almost everyday, since it lacks features and doesn't work far to often. The off tv play is nice, but I asked Netflix about the missing profiles, and they informed me that they license it out and provide api's (?) but it's up to the manufacturers to implement and update. So they basically told me Nintendo was too lazy to update the Wii U Netflix app to have the the universal feature of profiles like the Wii.

That's a weird rant to put in here, but I had to get it off my chest. At least I have Mario Kart and Watch Dogs to look forward too. Maybe I'll get some gaming enjoyment out of this machine in 2014 after all.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 03:34:40 AM »
I make it a point to not let anyone talking about video game companies on the internet annoy me greatly.
Gouge away.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 05:38:01 AM »
I make it a point to not let anyone talking about video game companies on the internet annoy me greatly.

I make it a point not to play holier than thou, high and mighty on a message board. *shrugs*

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 08:33:55 AM »
API = Application Programming Interface. If what they are saying is true, then basically the content (including profile support) is out there for Nintendo to implement, they just haven't done it. That seems weird to me though, I would think that the Netflix app is 95% Netflix, 5% Nintendo.

But anyway, BnM pretty much nailed it. You want to have reasons to advertise it to other people and get them to buy one, mainly because you're trying to justify your own purchase, but those reasons simply don't exist. It doesn't have (and never will have) the library it needs to make it your only console (unless, lets face it, you're a kid), and it's too expensive to recommend as a second (or third) console. We all WANT to love the Wii U, but it's hard to excited when your big announcement is Cranky Kong.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 09:06:27 AM »

I make it a point not to play holier than thou, high and mighty on a message board. *shrugs*

I don't.  ;D
Gouge away.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 09:19:39 AM »

I don't.  ;D

You son of a... J/K :)

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 09:21:15 AM »
It doesn't have (and never will have) the library it needs to make it your only console (unless, lets face it, you're a kid), and it's too expensive to recommend as a second (or third) console.

Pump your brakes on that. How is this statement even remotely accurate? I am completely satisfied with my WiiU as the only played console in my house. Granted, I am a father of little ones and teenagers and we don't play "mature" games while the little kids are looking. My son plays COD on it. I play old school and indie games. My daughter plays, well she plays everything on it. And when it's a birthday or a holiday and they break out the Just Dance. Now we all have personal taste and I do most gaming on my 3DS simply because of my schedule but I know me, and I went hard on GameCube alone for quite sometime, this feels no different.

What the hell is my family going to play on XBOXONE/PS4 that I would feel comfy swapping out for my WiiU. Hell, I can't even play LittleBigPlanet on my Ps4(yet).

Full Disclosure: I am not a PC gamer but I do have a high end Mac so if I ever need to scratch that itch(shooters, diablo, Bioshock, etc) I could play on that.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 09:40:24 AM »
I never had trouble justifying my Wii U purchase as I managed my expectations accordingly. I agonized over whether it was worth $350 at the time and I decided that it was. I knew what I wanted from Wii U: Nintendo's own games which I can't get anywhere else and to that end, I've been pretty content. Still, I recognize that my gaming habits have changed dramatically in the last 10 to 15 years. There absolutely are software droughts, but I play far less now so I, personally, do not notice as much. I still haven't opened Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze which I bought on sale nearly a month ago.

Additionally, my plan was always to eventually purchase a PS4 and I'm aware that not everyone buys or can afford to buy more than one console. All things considered, I'm pretty happy with what's offered on Wii U though I fall into a group where the stars aligned in such a way that I can be happy with what's available. I'm not yearning for a PS4 and if most of the industry insists on transitioning to watch-before-play games like The Last of Us, I can wait until it drops to a price I feel comfortable paying. I will say, however, that if you don't fall into the specific group of "occasional gamer" that I do, it's hard to recommend Wii U to people, and when speaking to people, that's exactly what I tell them. I'm fine with Wii U being the "Mario Machine" (though that's terribly reductive) because it's more appealing to me than a "Last of Us Machine" (also reductive).

Offline ResettisCousin

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 10:25:28 AM »
It's human nature to be more vocal about negative reactions. Heck, that's why I'm even bothering to reply to this thread.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 01:06:23 PM »
I don't like being called an eternal optimist because I'm not always complaining about everything Nintendo does. Unless I'm mistaken by your post, Ian Sane.

That's exactly my point.  You don't like it when a generalization is made about you but you made a generalization about others and started this thread.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 01:39:35 PM »
I didn't make a generalization at all. I was talking about one particular group, like you were talking about one particular group. If we want to go into semantics, we can both **** off right now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 01:52:07 PM »
I really want to love my Wii U, anything I could say to recommend it to anyone else to justify my own purchase would be great.
But good Lord does Nintendo make it hard for me to do that. I can't even recommend or as a Netflix player, even though I use it as one almost everyday, since it lacks features and doesn't work far to often. The off tv play is nice, but I asked Netflix about the missing profiles, and they informed me that they license it out and provide api's (?) but it's up to the manufacturers to implement and update. So they basically told me Nintendo was too lazy to update the Wii U Netflix app to have the the universal feature of profiles like the Wii.

That's a weird rant to put in here, but I had to get it off my chest. At least I have Mario Kart and Watch Dogs to look forward too. Maybe I'll get some gaming enjoyment out of this machine in 2014 after all.
http://developer.netflix.com/page

Look like they took there ball and went home a Year ago.  I thought it was provide.  I would have loved to make a Program for me PC to make Catagories selectable among other things.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.