Author Topic: Which of the Next Gen console UI's stand out to you the most.  (Read 9106 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
  So while the PS4 and One are still around six months out we've seen alittle bit of what the OS ui is going to look like compared too The Wii U system UI.
Wii U

PlayStation 4

Xbox One

So which one appeals to you most. I think the One's OS looks the best to me taking the best of Metro with simplicity I would imagine coming from xmb. I also appreciate the multiple hubs for so the Base home screen and navigation isn't as bad. I'm glad they decided to rework the smartglass app since its Native to the OS now. The first smartglass app is good but it pretty damn ugly if you ask me.

The Wii U OS is what I'd expect from Nintendo to bring their own flair despite people might asscue it of looking a bit fisher price. So far it has the best iconography of the three in my opinion. Anyone have a high res version of the Miiverse logo?

The PS4 is the oddest of the bunch since it doesn't have any real identity or focus. It has the side ways Navigation of the XMB for what looks like all software.  But unlike XMB there seems be no folders or any way to separate catagories. Still out of the two new consoles this one seems the most like a mockup and non representive of the actual product its self.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:13:00 PM by shingi_70 »
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Which of the Next Gen console UI's stand out to you the most.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 12:43:23 PM »
I like the one with the most games.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 01:05:21 PM »
I would have to see how the other two feel before I can say, but looking at the screen shots the PS4 and Xone's look similar in their minimalist tiles.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »

I like the one with the most games.
Question wasn't about games which is separate from user interface itself.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 02:02:37 PM »
The Xbox One OS will instantly lose due to ads.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 05:18:05 PM »

The Xbox One OS will instantly lose due to ads.
But there are no ads.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 05:24:01 PM »
I saw half the screen filled with ads for current films. On the home screen.

EDIT: scratch that, it won't have ads for the first few years of its life then the OS will completely change and fill the screen with **** they don't need.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 05:27:03 PM by Oblivion »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 05:42:13 PM »

EDIT: scratch that, it won't have ads for the first few years of its life then the OS will completely change and fill the screen with **** they don't need.

I thought you meant ad's like the Old spice and WOW ads that are on the current homescreen for 360. I wasn't counting content that can be purchasable on the system.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 07:53:08 PM »
The ads on the UI, to me, betray an unwritten agreement regarding ads.  In the old days you bought a radio and a TV and the content was free.  It just being broadcast over the air and if you have a device that could grab the signal, you got it for free.  But someone needs to pay for these radio and TV shows and that's where advertising came in.  The agreement was that our content would have a bunch of annoying ad bullshit in it, in exchange for it being free.  We later accepted the same conditions on the internet - I will put up with your ad bullshit if I can access your web site for free.

But I don't get Xbox Live for free or an Xbox console - but I have to put up with ads.  Uh, what the ****?  That's not the agreement.  You're not supposed to get ads for stuff you pay for.  And there's the offensive nature of it all.  The public and advertisers had a mutual agreement of ads being in exchange for free content.  But the advertisers look at it more like "what can we put ads on?!!" as if the whole world is just a big blank canvas for their intrusive bullshit.

My priority for a UI is to get to where I want to go ASAP.  I know if I want to play a game or use Netflix or go into the online store before I even turn the system on and if I can't get there immediately with minimal effort your UI SUCKS.  However has the best usability:bullshit ratio wins.

The Xbox dashboard looks like the TV in Idiocracy.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 08:05:08 PM »

I thought you meant ad's like the Old spice and WOW ads that are on the current homescreen for 360. I wasn't counting content that can be purchasable on the system.

It doesn't matter if you can get the content on the system -- it's an ad. It's something thats up screen space for something that isn't the store.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 08:25:03 PM »
The ads on the UI, to me, betray an unwritten agreement regarding ads.  In the old days you bought a radio and a TV and the content was free.  It just being broadcast over the air and if you have a device that could grab the signal, you got it for free.  But someone needs to pay for these radio and TV shows and that's where advertising came in.  The agreement was that our content would have a bunch of annoying ad bullshit in it, in exchange for it being free.  We later accepted the same conditions on the internet - I will put up with your ad bullshit if I can access your web site for free.

But I don't get Xbox Live for free or an Xbox console - but I have to put up with ads.  Uh, what the ****?  That's not the agreement.  You're not supposed to get ads for stuff you pay for.  And there's the offensive nature of it all.  The public and advertisers had a mutual agreement of ads being in exchange for free content.  But the advertisers look at it more like "what can we put ads on?!!" as if the whole world is just a big blank canvas for their intrusive bullshit.

My priority for a UI is to get to where I want to go ASAP.  I know if I want to play a game or use Netflix or go into the online store before I even turn the system on and if I can't get there immediately with minimal effort your UI SUCKS.  However has the best usability:bullshit ratio wins.

The Xbox dashboard looks like the TV in Idiocracy.
But the ad's on the one dashboard will probably be for games avaible on the system. I mean I picked u Call of Juerz Gunstringer because it was on the dashboard and I was itching for more western games after beating Red Dead.  I really liked the game and its been getting a lot of press since it came out.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 08:58:19 AM »
I think the cleanest looking UI is Microsoft's Xbox One.  However, I think Nintendo's quite appealing.  It feels like a game world instead of just a menu system, and I really enjoy the brighter colors and white background to black.  I always like white as a background more than black, or some darker color.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 09:09:16 AM »
Until I get to use them the Wii U UI while not the slickest looking looks to be able to get me where I want to go fastest.  XBox One may but, what we've seen of the PS4's well... I don't know what to think about it.  I'm actually a fan of XMB.  While not perfect it was easy to navigate for the most part.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »
You're not supposed to get ads for stuff you pay for.

You pay for cable, cable has ads. Internet sites that charge a subscription also has ads. Newspapers and magazines cost money and they have ads. I'ts always been the case that stuff that costs money still have ads.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 06:26:37 PM »
You're not supposed to get ads for stuff you pay for.

You pay for cable, cable has ads. Internet sites that charge a subscription also has ads. Newspapers and magazines cost money and they have ads. I'ts always been the case that stuff that costs money still have ads.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 06:37:01 PM »
poke, you bitter I made a good point? Ian made a claim, I showed him he is wrong, and you reply with nothing more than a GIF you looked 5 seconds for on Google Images.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 06:49:20 PM »
Technically, it was a JPEG.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 06:54:12 PM »
The White Knight of Capitalism is back!
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 06:56:46 PM »

Defending what? Ian said you shouldn't see ads with services you pay for, I was letting him know that it's ALWAY been that way (ads with paid services). That's called defending reality, rather than embracing lies and delusions.

Besides, capitalism is a good thing and I would like you to name a different system that has actually WORKED.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 06:58:52 PM »
HUZZA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now remember kids:
systems that have premium online services need advertisements (xbone)

inversely systems that dont have premium online services pm required don't need advertisements (wii u, PS4?)

Whats wrong with this picture?

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 08:03:04 PM »

Defending what? Ian said you shouldn't see ads with services you pay for, I was letting him know that it's ALWAY been that way (ads with paid services). That's called defending reality, rather than embracing lies and delusions.

Besides, capitalism is a good thing and I would like you to name a different system that has actually WORKED.

Communism, baby!

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 08:21:11 PM »

yes, capitalism is so perfect... (sarcasm)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 08:52:28 PM »
Um, where did I ever say it is perfect? Nothing is perfect. All I said is that it works, and that it's the only system that has actually worked.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 09:00:35 PM »
Feudalism worked. Mercantilism worked. One day people will look at capitalism the way we look at those.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 09:07:50 PM »
exactly what i tried to say