Author Topic: Defend Your Castle  (Read 8880 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Defend Your Castle
« on: May 26, 2008, 12:17:13 AM »
Platform: Wii Ware | Price: 500 Wii Points | Players 1 - 4 | Online Features: None.

Defend your Castle started off as a flash based game that costs nothing on the internet and now it came to the Wii Ware priced at 500 Wii Points. The object of the game is to simply to defend your castle by picking up the invaders with your little cursor and then fling them far enough so that they can land to their deaths. For every invader you kill you get a set of points and in the game points equal to money that you can use to upgrade your castle or repair your castle.

There are four different spires you can build to your castle and they are: Archery tower, Mage Tower, Mason Tower and Demolition Tower and you can also buy a pit of conversion where you fling a helpless barbarian to the pit then and assign them to one towers once they are fully converted. The archery tower allows you to train archers and they will pick off  or try to pick off barbarians, when you reach at a point where you have about 500 - 900 archers you can have the game essentially play itself with little intervention needed from the player however if an archer kills an enemy the player(s)  will not get any points for those kills. Mage towers allows you to train well mages who will research and ready spells once you used and exhausted your current arsenal of spells when you have 1 mage you obtain a eraser which eliminates one enemy for you, when you have 35 mages you gets you a conversion spell which converts 1 enemy on the spot automatically, when you have 100 mages you get an explosion spell which well creates an explosion and destroys a cluster of enemies it seems that the more mages you have the faster your exhausted spells get refreshed and are ready to use again. The mason tower allows your castle to regenerate, the more you have assigned in the mason tower the faster the regeneration rate is. And finally the demolition tower sends out a suicide unit that you detonate to clear a cluster of enemies like the explosion spell.

A main problem with the game is the difficulty and how its scaled since the game has an infinite amount of levels the only things that change is the rate of enemies, how fast the enemies come at you and the length of the level so the game play is essentially one dimensional and can get boring fast and also annoying due to all the screaming from the enemies and the sound of enemies constantly hitting your castle.

Score break down:

Graphics:  D

Some may call it charming but its one static screen with enemies and things made out of every day things and pencil doodles. The only thing dynamic is the different random weather that changes absolutely nothing.

Sound:  F

Theres no soundtrack at all outside of the main title screen. The only other sound you will hear is the screaming of enemies, when they die, grunt or the sound of the castle getting here. Later on in the level the countless swarms of enemies will irritate you and even sometimes give you a headache you won't miss much if you mute your TV. Excite Truck's soundtrack is much more impressive than Defend Your Castle's soundtrack.

Controls: A

Controls are simple to understand and function well.

Gameplay: C

It supports jump in drop out multi-player for up to 4 players, the game is simple to get into and easy to understand. Unfortunately the only things that changes in between levels is the length of the level(time wise) and how much enemies come to try to knock your castle down because of the fact that there are an infinite amount of levels. The towers add-ons for the castle allow some diversity. But unfortunately the repetitive nature of the game will leave people bored.

Final Score: C

At first the game is pretty fun but once you upgraded your castle with all the addons and seen all the enemies and spells there isn't any incentive to continue. A lot of players will give up fast because the game is simply repetitive and boring since everything is the same except the frequency of enemies and the length of each level. At 500 Wii Points its not bad but one will see fast why it is exactly priced at that point.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 12:23:32 PM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Defend Your Castle
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 09:16:57 AM »
Why the hate on the Excite Truck soundtrack?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 11:43:04 AM »
Theres nothing wrong with the excite truck soundtrack except that its 1 song. And I suppose I was aiming for a NWR inside joke since excite truck's sound on this site got a 1.0/10.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 04:49:04 PM »
Huh? To me it sounds like each of the five locales has its own track, that's still not much but good enough for me (certainly better than Eternal Ocean with its loads of vocal tracks that get really annoying when they loop).

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 07:44:05 AM »
The Excite Truck soundtrack was horrible, thank good they added the option to use your own music.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 08:16:36 AM »
Somehow I get the impression that I either have extremely low standards for music (would have to be really extreme, the ET soundtrack seemed normal to me) or they changed the soundtrack for the PAL version (the "one track" thing sounds like that).

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 10:07:24 AM »
Well I have the PAL version and can ntoice the difference between the locales, but they're all horrible. So I am going to have to conclude that the first explanation you presented is the correct one. You have low standards, not that that's bad thing. I'd love to be more forgiving of things.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 12:18:12 PM »
Dunno, "horrible" to me implies a total lack of harmony or rythm, something you'd want to mute. Fairly crappy is something like the Cv: Harmony of Dissonance (what a fitting name) soundtrack. I think ET is forgettable but not damaging.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 02:27:11 PM »
Well KDR in DYC your better off muting your TV because all the obnoxious sound effects will give you a migraine fast once everything starts going insane.

Offline Snipper64

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 08:50:52 PM »
Errrr.... Anyways... good review, I like the game, I am at level 46 right now, there is a new baddie that is a catapult that ruins the game for me, hard yes, but you just can't blast it or throw it, but click on it over and over, and you will keep grabbing small baddies by mistake, the catapults were bad, and should've been able to get exploded from magic or bombs!
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

VOTE FOR CHOANIKI! you know you want too...