Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553396 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #5475 on: March 10, 2017, 11:41:26 AM »
Logan > Deadpool. It's so far removed from other superhero movies.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5476 on: March 10, 2017, 07:56:06 PM »
And they got Patrick Stewart back to reprise his role with destiny. I'm trying to talk my wife into going because I think I want to see it sooner rather than later.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5477 on: March 11, 2017, 04:20:48 AM »
Logan > Deadpool. It's so far removed from other superhero movies.

in overall quality, I must agree.
But Deadpool was so much fun, that it's a HUGE compliment that Logan was probably the better movie. I'm glad Fox FINALLY got their game together and put together (even if through no fault of their own) 2 really good comic/superhero movies, that both happen to be rated R.

I hope Deadpool 2 can keep the bar raised high, and hopefully the X-Men movies are dead for a while, and X-Force and New Mutants takes it's place instead.

I really think the best thing about Logan is how far removed it is from ALL the rest of the X-Men movies. and the fact that Laura is a fucking savage!! I loved X-23, hope we see more of her.... is that what New Mutants is about?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5478 on: March 13, 2017, 06:41:44 AM »
Arrival

It's really hard to have a satisfying ending to a thriller, especially a sci-fi thriller, and Arrival wasn't up to the task. The premise is rock-solid, the acting was thoroughly enjoyable, and the tension was palpable. The resolution was my only gripe and not because it didn't make sense, but because it was dumb from a story standpoint. You have this anxiety building up, fears are mounting, and then the climax is shown to be resolved before it is actually resolved. Who thought that was a good idea? It's a really stupid decision that deflates the last 20 minutes entirely. It's a cool idea but it doesn't work narratively, or at least wasn't directed well enough to keep the suspense intact. That's really my only problem with the film.

It's pretty cool how they filmed at two main locations almost entirely.

It's still a decent movie and anyone who is a fan of sci-fi will be engaged throughout the first two acts.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5479 on: March 13, 2017, 05:49:11 PM »
King Kong Skull Island 8/10
The most R rated popcorn flick version of King Kong even if it's PG 13. It was pretty fun. I watched it at a cool theater that served me fish and chips and beer. Less beauty in the beast ****, more kaiju action.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5480 on: March 13, 2017, 07:07:59 PM »
::snip::

now hurry up and go watch Get Out!!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5481 on: March 14, 2017, 02:27:16 PM »
I know it was already brought up, but Logan, holy ****.  Awesome movie that just so happens to be about comic book characters.  It was also really gut wrenching, especially if you know anything about the character's experiences throughout the series of movies.

This is coming from someone who thinks the comic book movies have gotten kind of stale, especially with the prevalence of the MCU.  My wife has gotten tired of these kinds of movies, and LOVED it as well.  Good characterization, good acting, meaningful stakes and outcomes. 

I also think the comparison to Deadpool is like trying to rate John Wick against Anchorman, apples & oranges.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 02:31:31 PM by lolmonade »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5482 on: March 14, 2017, 03:27:54 PM »
It's kinda like a Nicholas Cage movie, but with Hugh Jackman instead.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5483 on: March 14, 2017, 07:58:21 PM »
I know it was already brought up, but Logan, holy ****.  Awesome movie

I also think the comparison to Deadpool is like trying to rate John Wick against Anchorman, apples & oranges.

I think if Fox can continue to carve that niche of the adult R comic movie, while Marvel continues down the Family Friendly all audiences route, we will be getting all we want from Comic movies in the near future. at least from the Marvel Comics side of things (please give back F4...)

I'm not sure where that leaves DC, but I'm hoping WW puts them back on the right track.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5484 on: March 14, 2017, 09:07:21 PM »
ThePerm - I haven't seen Kong Skull Island yet (tomorrow or Sunday), but I hope you stayed for the post-credits scene.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5485 on: March 15, 2017, 04:03:13 AM »
ah, ****. there was a post credit scene!!

I just got home from the movie. guess I'll have to look it up online somewhere.

movie was intense as **** though.
I'm 3 for 3 at the theater so far this year.

Get Out = 6 out of 5 stars - for smart ass thriller with more layers than an onion. True thrills and thoughts that chill.
Logan = 4.5 out of 5 stars - for that Wolverine action we've wanted since he hit the big screen, and wrapped in a movie that was more than just comic fodder. Best X-Man movie yet.
Kong Skull Island = 4 out of 5 stars - pure action, and everything else you could possibly want in an giant Monster Movie. Don't over analyze it, just sit back and enjoy the unadulterated brutality of this uncharted movie.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 04:09:31 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5486 on: March 15, 2017, 04:48:58 AM »
ThePerm - I haven't seen Kong Skull Island yet (tomorrow or Sunday), but I hope you stayed for the post-credits scene.

Yeah, I waited for the post credit scene. I was most excited about the possibility of Mothra

I liked King Kong a whole lot better than Godzilla 2014. Godzilla 2014 wasn't bad. Actually, this series is shaping up to be pretty good.When I was in first and second grade I used to watch Godzilla movies a lot.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 04:52:59 AM by ThePerm »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5487 on: March 15, 2017, 04:53:18 AM »
i just saw the post credits. - thank internet

I look forward to the MonsterVerse if it's more like Kong going forward and little less like Godzilla.
I'm hoping they mix well.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5488 on: March 15, 2017, 11:57:42 PM »
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original) 8.9/10
Wow, this was better than I had expected. I expected it to be extra corny, campy and stupid. But here is the thing: It was actually a lot smarter than many other horror movies. The characters don't make a lot of stupid cliché decisions. They're just pretty fucked when they get in the situations. Which is nice.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5489 on: March 16, 2017, 09:07:11 AM »
I know it was already brought up, but Logan, holy ****.  Awesome movie

I think if Fox can continue to carve that niche of the adult R comic movie, while Marvel continues down the Family Friendly all audiences route, we will be getting all we want from Comic movies in the near future. at least from the Marvel Comics side of things (please give back F4...)

I'm not sure where that leaves DC, but I'm hoping WW puts them back on the right track.

I think the Xmen series as a whole have been very up-and-down in quality, X1, X2, Days of Future Past being Stand-outs in quality.  I didn't bother with the Wolverine stand-alone movies besides Logan, and only saw Logan because it really brought the story down to a micro level, whereas the other movies are always seemingly about world or universe-level threats. 

I think the R rating was important for Logan & Deadpool.  That said, Marvel's lesson from this shouldn't be "make R rated movies", instead that not every movie of theirs involving a superhero needs to have a world ending threat.  Some of my favorite parts of Marvel movies have been when they've boiled it down to a very personal level (Thor being stranded on Earth, Steve Rogers before he actually starts fighting in the war in the first Captain America Movie).  It's fine if Marvel is focused on going bigger and bigger, but it means I'll be checking-out sooner than later on them.  It's gotten to a point where I'm lukewarm about the next Avengers movie because they're building up to a ridiculous amount of people on-screen that I think will be impossible to accomplish without ruining any possibility for good storytelling.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5490 on: March 16, 2017, 01:22:56 PM »
Get Out - 10/10

My word.  This movie.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: March 16, 2017, 08:23:59 PM »
Get Out - 10/10

My word.  This movie.

My man. I've been trying to spread the word. people just don't know.
tell me that you immediately didn't go back and rethink the whole move in the end.

in a future post, there will be lots of black bars. Gonna have to warn people to Get Out just to avoid  all the spoilers

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: March 17, 2017, 12:08:11 PM »
Kong was rad af.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: March 17, 2017, 06:58:39 PM »
Kong was rad af.

3 Months into 2017, and we already have 4 good movies worth recommending.

#1 - Get Out
#2 - Logan
#3 - John Wick 2
#4 - Kong: Skull Island

and wonder what's upcoming that that will likely be recommended this this forum outside of the usual comic blockbuster movies....

edit: Can't believe I already forgot about JW2. It's been a good and entertaining movie year so far, and we're only half way through March.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 07:01:00 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: March 17, 2017, 07:12:08 PM »
Well, I WANTED to go see Logan with my wife, but she was all into seeing Skull Island. In the end I would be happy to see either one (or both!) but Nooooo!

Beauty and the Beast comes out this weekend and we. Have. To. Go. See it. Not that I am not excited to see this film as the animated version was one of my favorite Disney flicks, but I am more excited for Logan and Skull Island than the live version.

Gaston just feels off to me, though Emma Watson seems perfect for the part of Belle.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: March 17, 2017, 08:25:06 PM »
I'm watching B&tB tonight. so I may have impressions at some point.

it better be good though, and not ruin my streak. although this one doesn't really count, as it's not on my watch list. it's for my daughter.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: March 17, 2017, 10:33:34 PM »
I don't think it will be bad. It is at risk of being just decent. Depends on the execution.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: March 18, 2017, 02:45:59 AM »
Welp, Disney has done it again...

I don't remember how much Jungle Book made, but I willing to go out on a limb and say this movie will do even better. For one, the lines were RIDICULOUS. 1 hour + before the movie started there were lines... long lines. But this was easily the best Princess Livemake (new word... it's a work in progress) so far.

I like The Jungle Book better as far as an entire movie goes (I'm not really into the princesses... but to each their own), but it (JB) gets minus points for the songs being not so hot... BatB was entertaining, humorous, and even had good music that matched what I remembered from the original movie.

this is a great date or take the kids out movie. You're girl will want to see it, that girl you are trying to ask out will probably want to see it, and your little girls will definitely want to see it. So one way or another, you'll probably end up watching this, and he best part about it is you likely will enjoy it, even if you weren't expecting to.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 03:09:18 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: March 18, 2017, 03:51:37 AM »
How was Gaston? He is one of my favorite villains and I felt his voice was a bit weak in the trailers.

Nice to know it will be worth seeing tomorrow, but I still need to see Kong and Logan. Anyone need a movie buddy? Doubt my wife will be keen on seeing all of them.
My Game Collection

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: March 18, 2017, 09:48:45 AM »
Get Out was released yesterday. It's deeply deeply unsettling (although i can relate to lots of it!) but is a fantastic movie. I don't even know where to start with it.