Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553357 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #5250 on: May 05, 2016, 11:04:05 PM »
Captain America Civil War - Go See It/10

Yeah, it's awesome. Just see it. More like Captain America The Winter Soldier than it is like The Avengers (either one), even though it's pretty much an Avengers movie. Spider-Man is awesome in it, definitely the best version of the character. Also, there is a mid-credits scene and a post-credits scene, so don't leave when they start rolling. Everything else goes in the spoiler discussion thread.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5251 on: May 06, 2016, 02:07:44 AM »
Captain America Civil War - Go See It/10

Yeah, it's awesome. Just see it. More like Captain America The Winter Soldier than it is like The Avengers (either one), even though it's pretty much an Avengers movie. Spider-Man is awesome in it, definitely the best version of the character. Also, there is a mid-credits scene and a post-credits scene, so don't leave when they start rolling. Everything else goes in the spoiler discussion thread.

seconded.

Spidey was great. Panther was dope. Ant-man had his moments some bigger than others, and I'm gonna assume the mid credit scene is the one that wasn't shown before?
Either way, both end credit scenes are HYPE for fans of Marvel and the MCU. Do not leave the theater early.

p.s. DC/WB/Snyder, this is how it's done. Hero vs Hero, real emotion, actual reasons, a build up that leads to a an actual pay-off. A story that's coherent, emotional, full of action, and fun to watch.
I am actually left wanting more, and HYPED for the morsels that were teased.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5252 on: May 06, 2016, 05:46:41 AM »
I dint have time to see the VERY last end credits scene, what happened?
Made you look ****.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5253 on: May 06, 2016, 07:29:50 AM »
Peter Parker is back at home playing with his web shooter (that Tony Stark upgraded) and it starts casting something on the wall. Aunt May walks in and asks about the fight he got in, Peter says the guy's name was Steve and he's from Brooklyn and says he got in a few good hits himself. He says Steve's friend was huge. Then she leaves and he looks at what it's doing and  it is display a big Spider-Man face and these other things, it's clearly some type of communication device with Tony Stark. Then it goes black and says "Spider-Man will return.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5254 on: May 08, 2016, 01:19:35 AM »
thanks
Made you look ****.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5255 on: May 19, 2016, 12:48:05 AM »
London has Fallen.

LOL. I didn't like this one as much as the first due to the fact it was much harder to follow people from location to location as London isn't as familiar as Washington. Both movies are real popcorn movies where you wear a **** eating grin as you watch the carnage and ignore the plausibility of the opening scenario in an otherwise well made films. Unlike Michael Bay films it doesn't insult or assault you or completely take your intelligence for granted.

London has this really nice fire fight I enjoyed where it is one really long relatively smooth shot. There are cuts in it if you know how to spot them but compared to most fire fights it felt like a real treat as the director put his skills on display and took a risk. I wish more directors are more willing to do long shots instead of constantly cutting like they are suicidal.

Rating: Quite entertained.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5256 on: May 19, 2016, 03:27:35 PM »
Finally went and saw Batman Vs Superman after putting it off for so long and almost talked myself out of doing it again. Almost dragged myself to the theatre. However, in the end, I'm more on the positive side of the film than I expected. I'd probably be willing to see it again in theatres even but I think I'll wait instead for the director's cut to see it again that way. I can see why it has it's detractors but I don't think it fully deserves the scorn it has received. I had a mixed reaction with Man of Steel and was generally down on the movie after I saw it in theatres and expected the same or worse reaction but instead I'm ok with this film and I'm rather interested to see how the Justice League movie will play out. I know I'm late to the party and a lot of the previous comments in this thread address many things about the movie I was thinking about but I may end up posting some more in-depth thoughts on it all later.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5257 on: May 19, 2016, 04:10:11 PM »
I'm guessing you are more okay with it in part because you had your expectations lowered before entering the theater, leading you to be pleasantly surprised by it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5258 on: May 22, 2016, 10:27:45 PM »
Neighbors 2 - 6.5/10

Pretty cookie-cutter sequel, but with a hilariously feminist leaning. Honestly, I really like this cast and hope they can get together again for a non-sequel.  The movie wraps itself up with a quick "everybody wins" ending, but there's enough laughs along the way to make watching worthwhile.  Still, it's not quite good enough to rush out to the theatre.

The Nice Guys - 8.5/10

I was home with my family recently, and I think my dad watches a lot of those crime shows ironically.  Either way, I got my fill of those, and it was incredibly refreshing to watch a detective movie without any of the modern cliches.  The jokes hit with a more than acceptable success rate, even if there is more than one Hitler joke.  There might be one or two contrived plot points, but overall it works great, and the story is well written with almost every plot point logically leading to the next.  I like the characters a lot.  There's a prominent kid roll, but she's endearing and helpful without being absurdly smart (or the adults being completely dimwitted).  This could be a solid franchise series, especially since you only need 3 returning characters to make it work.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5259 on: May 23, 2016, 03:40:39 AM »
London has Fallen.

LOL. I didn't like this one as much as the first due to the fact it was much harder to follow people from location to location as London isn't as familiar as Washington. Both movies are real popcorn movies where you wear a **** eating grin as you watch the carnage and ignore the plausibility of the opening scenario in an otherwise well made films. Unlike Michael Bay films it doesn't insult or assault you or completely take your intelligence for granted.

London has this really nice fire fight I enjoyed where it is one really long relatively smooth shot. There are cuts in it if you know how to spot them but compared to most fire fights it felt like a real treat as the director put his skills on display and took a risk. I wish more directors are more willing to do long shots instead of constantly cutting like they are suicidal.

Rating: Quite entertained.

Actually living in the city it's based in there was a pretty loud groan from some people while i was watching through the film. 90% of it isn't even visually London either as the production was done in bulgaria.

Offline gayla8

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Aanslagen Parijs 2016
« Reply #5260 on: May 23, 2016, 06:23:27 AM »
X-Men Apoc is really a must-watch.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: May 26, 2016, 10:44:28 PM »
X-Men: Apocalypse - 8/10

Seriously this movie is much better than the reviews are saying. Yeah, sure, the world in comparison to the major characters of the film does seem a little small and takes a back seat, but the movie is pretty damn good. There is a *major* swipe taken at X-Men: The Last Stand during the movie, pretty much everyone in the audience got the reference and laughed. It's kind of weird that this is somewhat an origin story for characters that we already know in the X-Men universe, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Nightcrawler, Angel and Archangel, but they do just enough character building for them to not distract from the rest of the movie, or take anything away from any of the other ones. And holy ****, about 2/3 into the movie, full-on Weapon-X Wolverine is unleashed and kills the **** out of everyone in his path. Sure, it's pretty predictable, but what super-hero movie isn't? I would ranks this in the top 3 X-Men films. Yes, there is a post-credits scene - which you can't be certain is building up to the next X-Men movie, or the next Wolverine movie, but it definitely reveals that the next villain, for whichever movie they make, will be Mr. Sinister.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: May 27, 2016, 12:09:16 AM »
Sure, it's pretty predictable, but what super-hero movie isn't? I would ranks this in the top 3 X-Men films.
Considering one of the other movies in that top 3 has to be First Class, it's hard to really rank X-Men films when one or two of them blow all the others out of the water.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: May 27, 2016, 10:29:02 AM »
It was an okay movie.  Not as bad as Last Stand by any reach.  I enjoyed it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: May 27, 2016, 12:30:18 PM »
Also it's pretty awesome that Metallica's The Four Horsemen is playing when Apocalypse, Psylocke and Storm meet with Angel.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5265 on: May 30, 2016, 06:57:46 PM »
The Lobster - 6/10

It just felt like an indie movie trying too hard to be an indie movie.  I'd rate the first 1/2, maybe 1/3, of it a solid 8+, but the rest of the movie falls flat.  It still manages to have its moments, but the story seemed to be going nowhere after a certain point.  The narration fell flat.  I presume that the "say a thing is happening, then the thing happens" (or vice versa) style was meant to be funny, but it just fell flat and proved to be annoying.  The narrator's voice was also not the most pleasant, but I think that was just the style of speaking all the characters used which was awkward, blunt, and unnatural.  The humour is very dry.  The open ending was also vastly unsatisfying, sure it makes you think, but not for very long.  The interesting bits of this movie come from the world built around mandated relationships.  Being single is a crime, and anyone who is single is sentenced to going to a "hotel" where they pair up with someone, or be turned into an animal of their choosing.  People seen alone in the city have to present marriage papers when asked, or be arrested.  There are also "loners" who are forced to live in the woods.  Each piece of society has its own, intricate rules, and the parallels between the law in the hotel and that of the loners is intriguing.  The movie excels when exploring these rule sets, but then falls flat once it has to wrap up the story.  Overall, it gets quite of few laughs with its dry humor, but may be a little too artsy fartsy.

Alice: Through the Looking Glass - 6.5/10

It's easy to say "if you liked the first one, you'll like this", but  it's probably true.  The visuals are fantastic (in both senses of the word), and the acting is a little less flat this time.  The star of the show is really Sasha Baron Cohen, who plays "Time".  He really steals the show and is at his best when he chews up the scenery.  There's also a fun scene when a few characters make several time puns in a row at his expense.  If you allow yourself to just go with the premise, you'll have a good time.  The parts outside of Wonderland weren't my favorite (successful woman meets sexist opposition from upper class and argues with her mother-cliches), but overall it's a good film if a bit heavy handed with the heavy handed parts.  Also, the new P!nk music video plays before the film for some reason, so heads up.

Money Monster - 7.5

George Clooney hosts a parody of CNBC's Mad Money.  You may remember former Daily Show host Jon Stewart handing Jim Cramer his ass on a platter a few years ago.  Honestly, when I went into the movie, I thought that sounded like a show I'd totally watch.  The movie's humor is a little dark sometimes.  It starts with light boner jokes, but as the hostage situation builds, the situation that the characters are in isn't lost on the writing.  The story tries to make a point somewhere, but "investment firms do fraud" isn't exactly groundbreaking.  The thriller aspects of the film aren't as balanced as the comedy.  Julia Roberts connects all the dots off screen, then puts it in Clooney's ear for him to say.  That may be a metaphor for something, but idk.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: May 31, 2016, 02:54:52 AM »
Warcraft - I'm not at all familiar with this franchise at all so i went into this blank faced, but it is pretty dense and there's a lot of lore i didnt know about. I'm not fond with how its been written to try and force a sequel/franchise (which is a studio decision, obviously).

I know the film has been getting negative reviews but looking at it from a gamer angle it sits a whole lot better.

My favourite thing about this film is the directing. Duncan Jones (who did Moon and Source Code) is a really competent director, everything is "un-Michael Bay". Smooth, clear, well-lit action shots that's steady and very easy to process. Compare against Transformers (2 especially) when you cannot even recognise who's battling who at times... in this you can clearly work it out.

Regardless of how badly the film itself does, it's a success to me for being able to make this universe come to movies, but do it in such a way that makes sense visually.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: June 03, 2016, 10:30:37 PM »
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - 6.5/10

It's either tied with or slightly better than the 2014 reboot. Shredder looks a lot better in this version, but he never fights the turtles and gets turned into stone by Krang near the end. Bebop and Rocksteady are very much alike their 80's/90's cartoon versions, aside from their voices. It actually could have stood to be a little bit longer (so could the 2014 movie), but it is what it is. Obviously they're setting up for a third movie with Krang in it again, and probably Shredder returning as well - but I imagine that at least *part* of it will take place in Dimension X. Whatever, go see it if you're a TMNT fan. It's not great, but it's not horrible.

As a side note, I noticed the Krang action figure (from the movie) has the name spelled "Kraang" like the Kraang from the Nickelodeon series...but in the movie it's spelled "Krang" like it always was before.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 10:38:06 PM by Brandogg »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: June 04, 2016, 05:25:35 PM »
I haven't seen it yet, but this one does look a lot better than the first one.

I didn't like the first one because it got the characterization of the turtles wrong, none of their jokes were funny, and they just didn't seem believably there. In contrast of the old series I felt like there was some deep stuff going on. I was watching the first one yesterday in hd and I was watching Mike and Donny talk. The lighting in that movie was really good. The movie was gritty and grimy, like a move about humanoid turtles living in sewers should be. Also, they got the ninja element down. I feel like the first series is more believable in a lot of ways. I liked the all cgi movie too. It felt like a continuation of the other movies.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: June 04, 2016, 08:52:41 PM »
Aside from some of the scenes with Krang, and the Technodrome itself, the CGI is excellent in this one. Spoiler alert: none of the jokes are funny in his one either.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: June 05, 2016, 06:14:07 AM »
I watched it yesterday and largely agree.... the CGI is very well done and has avoided the sin of this year of "i'm standing in front of a green screen!" that Allegiant, BVS and Through the Looking Glass fell into. I'm glad Stephen Amell is getting his name out there too.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: June 05, 2016, 09:19:11 AM »
Yeah, I'm at the point where I couldn't give any less of a **** about anything DC does, but having different actors for the same characters on TV and in the movies is about as stupid as it gets. If Marvel had someone else play Punisher or Daredevil in whatever movie they show up in...well, they just wouldn't do that.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5272 on: June 05, 2016, 10:04:15 AM »
X-Men: Apocalypse  - 7/10

As a film, it's pretty good.  There are a couple of "ugh" moments (green screen, inexplicable character deaths).  The plot holds up, and the lead characters are likeable.  It felt like the film was Jennifer Lawrence's movie, but she gets left out of the climax, which was weird.  The film also ups its ante a little too much.  The entire world is getting destroyed (though, not all of it is shown), so you're left wondering where they go from there.  The movie does a lot of retreading along the same character arcs and even goes to repeat the magic of a particular shot from the last one.  Still, the action scenes work, and that the important part.

As an adaptation, I can see why fans would be frustrated.  The film stomps all over the canonical origins of several characters and effectively reduces their "cool factor" to zero.  I think of Storm particularly on this issue.  But comicbook canon is rarely sacred to film makers anyway.  However, the movie also shits on its own canon, for better or worse.  It basically wipes out X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which is great.  But also leaves a number of questions for how exactly the original time line works.  As a nerd, it's hard to look past these things.  As a moviegoer, you gotta shrug them off.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: June 05, 2016, 11:18:30 AM »
What is canon anymore, anyway? If the movies were direct 1:1 comic adaptations, that would be pretty boring.

The original timeline is pretty much gone - everything (or at least nearly everything) that happened in X-Men 1, 2, and 3 has been erased, as well as X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The only things that actually have happened now are what happened in First Class, DoFP, Apocalypse, The Wolverine, and Deadpool, in that order. Wolverine still has all of his memories from between X-Men and DoFP apparently, so whatever happens in The Wolverine 2, unless it takes place in present day (well, what was "present day" at the end of DoFP), he won't remember...unless these events would have happened with or without what was changed by what started with DoFP.

Bottom line: it's better this way. The second trilogy of X-Men movies is better than the first.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:20:13 AM by Brandogg »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5274 on: June 05, 2016, 11:47:16 AM »
I thought DoFP stated that Logan would have all his original memories.  So, he would remember X-Men Origins: Wolverine (and X1-X3), but not meeting Jean in X-Men: Apocalypse, right? 

And I'll agree that the new films are better, but they make a lot of the same mistakes the old ones did: under-developing characters, killing characters off-screen, and bad deaths on-screen.

But as far as the time travel thing goes, what we don't know is if the whole Apocalypse thing happened in the old timeline.  And if it didn't, it kinda messes up Storm's character in the original trilogy (not that it matters much).  Plus, there are some character relationships that don't work (but that can't really be helped).  It's like they really don't want us to remember the original trilogy, and I'm fine with forgetting them. to be honest.

I don't mean to harp on Storm too much, but she's kind of a fan favorite.  And the film completely rewrote her origins to be wildly uninteresting, and she basically stopped having lines in the film once Olivia Munn showed up.  I honestly think she only had one line after meeting Psylock, not that Psylock had a ton of lines herself.  But the portrayal just felt like a big let down.  Meanwhile, I think they did great jobs on Cyclops and Nightcrawler.  But that's one example where sticking to some canon, would've been nice.