Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553297 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #4775 on: June 04, 2014, 10:06:30 PM »
Bereavement

It probably would've helped if I'd known beforehand this was a sequel to another movie (Malevolence). It was a pretty typical "serial killer chains up people in his shack and tortures them" kind of movie. Could've been better. Given the way the movie ends, NOTHING about ANY of character's lives have any consequence. The only reason I kept watching it is because Alexandra Doddario (HUGE crush) was often bouncing around in a tank top without a bra, and she's very busty, so I really couldn't look away.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: June 05, 2014, 12:20:59 AM »
Do you watch True Detective?

I just google searched her name (safe search off) and there are some quite revealing photos of her on True Detective. If you'll sit through a movie for braless tank top, you better strap it in for some TD on HBO buddy.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #4777 on: June 05, 2014, 02:37:25 AM »
Uh, YEAH I DID.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

« Reply #4778 on: June 13, 2014, 10:26:50 PM »
Just watched Candyman on Netflix. I have seen parts of it before but this was my first all the way through. I really, really liked Hellraiser so I had high hopes for this one. I had heard it supposedly has this great twist ending so I was hoping for a real shock. Instead it turned out completely predictable. The movie was okay it was a little slow paced but it had some good moments. It had me hooked. I rated it five stars, I didn't care for the ending but the rest of the movie was great.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: June 13, 2014, 10:44:50 PM »
Jesus Christ did you really just include a pun in your Candyman review? Anyway, I sneaked into that movie when I was a kid (said we were going to see Honeymoon in Vegas...have still never seen that movie). It was so awesome seeing Virginia Mardsen's breasts on the big screen...but I digress...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

« Reply #4780 on: June 13, 2014, 10:55:37 PM »
No that wasn't intentional, I wasn't even sure what you meant until I re-read my post then I remembered the guy had a hook for a hand.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: June 14, 2014, 12:02:47 AM »
Edge of Tomorrow.

Tom Cruise finally stops taking himself seriously and we got a strong action sci-fi film where we celebrate Tom Cruise dying in increasingly outlandish ways. While I liked Oblivion despite it's huge flaws, EoT blows that movie out of the water. It has a strong story that had left me guessing yet without giving you a **** you we are making **** up because we hit a wall. The action served the narrative and the character building, not the other way round.

I would thoroughly recommend this movie unless you totally hate Tom and you are boycotting him.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: June 14, 2014, 04:21:57 AM »
Yep, Edge of Tomorrow was really solid. Hell yeah, sci-fi!

Just came back from How to train Dragon 2. HTTYD was the only legitimately good Dreamworks animated movie, so i expected a lot.

Unfortunately, it's a lot worse, majority of the movie doesn't have dragon flying and fighting instead you're fed with some stupid family drama.

Don't bother /10
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

« Reply #4783 on: June 14, 2014, 09:58:41 AM »
its not new but we are going to Dumb and Dumber tomorrow at our local old movie theater. My dad has never seen it so since I just got him a brand new HDTV its kind of like a fathers day thing.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4784 on: June 14, 2014, 01:28:11 PM »
A Million Ways to Die in the West

I liked this one a lot.  I thought it was really funny, a lot of "Family Guy-esque" humor.  Some of the jokes were horribly spoiled in the trailer and commercials, including what I thought was the funniest gag in the whole film.  A lot of the jokes were a little too crude at times (the humor isn't exactly "smart" to begin with), but still funny.  The story was good enough to move the plot along.

7.5/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4785 on: June 15, 2014, 01:12:11 AM »
22 Jump Street

Go see it, it does not disappoint. It is not the same movie as the first (though there are similarities, which are blatantly and hilariously pointed out whenever they appear), but even if it was the first one was great too. Even the credits are hilarious.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: June 29, 2014, 08:23:43 AM »
Edge of Tomorrow
I figured I'd like it, but I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did. There was a lot of comedy in the first half of the film that they (thankfully) did not spoil too much of in the trailers. The way it's handled here is necessary for the plot and character development. All around solid directing, editing, and acting.

I'd have to watch it again to nitpick certain things. If I had to dock points from Edge of Tomorrow, the film "cheats" to raise the stakes towards the end since it wasn't necessary to move the plot along. When Rita and William finally convince General Brigham to give them the transponder, why do they even try to escape? They don't need to. Use the transponder right there in the general's office to learn the location of the Omega then kill William. That way, they would never have to go through the trouble of doing any of that again. Instead, they did this a couple times with William eventually losing the ability to reset time after a blood transfusion. We get a neat car chase scene, but I think they could have come up with a better way to strip William of his powers without betraying the most important plot point in the film: the ability to reset the day.

As for the ending, I didn't mind it though I understand reactions tend to be split on this. It's a fairly typical Hollywood happy ending (though not too happy). William conveniently either regains his time reset powers or gets to use it one last time before the Omega was destroyed. I'm thinking the former and since William gets his powers from a different Alpha, the new loop has a different starting point so he wakes up in the helicopter instead. Resetting before he tries blackmailing General Brigham means he keeps his rank and Rita as well as J-Squad are still alive. The downside is that no one knows they saved the world and William, presumably, never meets J-Squad.

My brother read the manga and told me the ending. I feel like they changed enough for the film that original ending where the equivalents of Rita and William have to battle to the death doesn't really work.

World War Z
It's a pretty typical zombie film, just with better special effects. The whole let's-go-find-a-cure is standard stuff for the genre. I thought the last third was a bit slow. Honestly, I'm getting kind of tired of zombie-related media. It's part of the reason I haven't had to urge to seek out the latest season of The Walking Dead. It'll be on Netflix in a couple months so I can catch up then.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: June 29, 2014, 10:00:10 AM »
Holy **** dude, you need to watch TWD season 4 ASAP.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: June 29, 2014, 10:07:10 AM »
No, he doesn't. Yuck.  :-\

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: July 07, 2014, 11:19:32 PM »
Re-watching probably the only movie I don't own that I have seen more than twice... Hook.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why the critics *hated* this movie when it came out... it's freaking awesome.  I haven't seen it in probably 10 years or so and I still think it holds up to this day.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: July 08, 2014, 01:41:42 AM »
GotG - 17 minute preview

This movie is gonna be great. Right off the bat it was entertaining, then there was some good action and it was genuinely funny.
The theater was practically full and everyone laughing their asses off at some the scenes.

I don't want to spoil anything, but the preview was very Rocket heavy, yet all the Guardian's played a part and some time.

Drax gave a good laugh (seen in the trailer), Starlord have a few chuckle moments, but Groot, YES GROOT, with an assist from Starlord, had the entire theater crackin up.

Rocket was pretty awesome, Gamora was kinda sexy, Groot is a badass, Quill is entertaining and Drax is a savage.
This movie is gonna hit, I just know it. Positive word of mouth will hopefully carry it far beyond the best of the 1st round Marvel movies (excluding A1).
It's very Star Wars in a way only much better if you ask me. HYPE levels are super high on this one. Gonna be a long wait till August.

Edit: I forgot to say that I usually hate 3D, and haven't seen a movie in iMax since forever a day ago, but ever though the iMax screen was much smaller than I thought it would be, the 3D (part processed) was actually pretty good. James Gunn explained in the beginning how he was working hard to make the experience as good as possible, and it shows. Most 3D movies either suck ass and/or give new a headache. This one was pretty well done and didn't bother me one bit.

p.s. I'm still not gonna pay iMax prices when the movie comes out though, certainly not with 3D ontop of that.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 01:56:46 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: July 08, 2014, 02:34:49 AM »
Here is a slightly different preview from the trailer aired with the 17 minute preview.
(Contains Groots scene)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: July 08, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »
In a way I'm a little upset they released that trailer because it means the Prison Sequence was all the 17 minutes had.  Though it is nice to be able to show the Groot scene.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4793 on: July 08, 2014, 10:59:09 AM »
Edge of Tomorrow
I figured I'd like it, but I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did. There was a lot of comedy in the first half of the film that they (thankfully) did not spoil too much of in the trailers. The way it's handled here is necessary for the plot and character development. All around solid directing, editing, and acting.

I'd have to watch it again to nitpick certain things. If I had to dock points from Edge of Tomorrow, the film "cheats" to raise the stakes towards the end since it wasn't necessary to move the plot along. When Rita and William finally convince General Brigham to give them the transponder, why do they even try to escape? They don't need to. Use the transponder right there in the general's office to learn the location of the Omega then kill William. That way, they would never have to go through the trouble of doing any of that again. Instead, they did this a couple times with William eventually losing the ability to reset time after a blood transfusion. We get a neat car chase scene, but I think they could have come up with a better way to strip William of his powers without betraying the most important plot point in the film: the ability to reset the day.

As for the ending, I didn't mind it though I understand reactions tend to be split on this. It's a fairly typical Hollywood happy ending (though not too happy). William conveniently either regains his time reset powers or gets to use it one last time before the Omega was destroyed. I'm thinking the former and since William gets his powers from a different Alpha, the new loop has a different starting point so he wakes up in the helicopter instead. Resetting before he tries blackmailing General Brigham means he keeps his rank and Rita as well as J-Squad are still alive. The downside is that no one knows they saved the world and William, presumably, never meets J-Squad.

My brother read the manga and told me the ending. I feel like they changed enough for the film that original ending where the equivalents of Rita and William have to battle to the death doesn't really work.

About the ending: I thought the Omega's blood was what caused the day to reset for William again.  They could've done more to make what caused the reset more clear.

As for the movie as a whole, I give it an 8.5/10.  It's really great.  The movie has to establish it's premise, and it's kinda boring.  The payoff in the plot of the rest of the movie more than compensates, however.

Also saw 22 Jump Street.  It's definitely the funniest movie I've seen in a while.  The best jokes are saved for the film and not the trailers.  The credits are amazing.  The meta-humor is great throughout, and the plot is more than sufficient.  10/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: July 08, 2014, 12:20:14 PM »
Here is a slightly different preview from the trailer aired with the 17 minute preview.
(Contains Groots scene)

Video has now been marked private.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: July 08, 2014, 02:39:29 PM »
Here you go

I think this is the same one shown last night with the preview....
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:41:12 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: July 08, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »
I didn't realize it last night but, they swapped some lines in that trailer.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: July 08, 2014, 05:06:49 PM »
Earth To Echo

Very good family flick. Nicely captures that sense of childhood friends "adventuring", on the cusp of getting older and moving on. The characters are well drawn and they are what make the movie worth your time. The alien creature is not really focused on or made into a character. I thought this was a good choice and avoided the trap of presenting a cutesy creature as the focus. The "found footage" aspect was quite well done but make sure you sit in one of the back rows. Makes a good companion piece to E.T. and/or Super 8 and/or The Goonies.

Recommended.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: July 09, 2014, 01:47:40 AM »
I saw Tammy It bothered me.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: July 09, 2014, 03:29:57 AM »
Transformers: Age of Extinction. 165 minutes of **** blowing up in quick and increasing succession.

Yet the things that bothered me the most? The two absolutely-blatantly product placement about Budweiser and Beats Pill.

Also, Ken Watanabe voiced Drift. Nothing wrong with the actor - i love his english voice - but the character wasnt in the previous three and numbers of autobots were dwindling. How did he just turn up?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 04:14:56 AM by Plugabugz »