Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553254 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3950 on: January 28, 2013, 07:48:30 PM »
Movie 43 has a 4% rating on Rotten Tomatoes (maybe the fact that it has 12 different storylines, each directed by a different director, has something to do with it. Roger Ebert even said "Movie 43 is the new Citizen Kane of awful".

A Haunted House is not much higher, it has a average of 6%.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: January 28, 2013, 07:50:58 PM »
Short version. Going on a date with any of those movies will not get you laid.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3952 on: January 28, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »
Mama is getting decent reviews (63% average), and it's a horror film (so you might get her holding onto you).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: January 28, 2013, 07:59:22 PM »
Movie 43 has a 4% rating on Rotten Tomatoes (maybe the fact that it has 12 different storylines, each directed by a different director, has something to do with it. Roger Ebert even said "Movie 43 is the new Citizen Kane of awful".

A Haunted House is not much higher, it has a average of 6%.

Actually, I knew that about Movie 43 and its interesting enough to check out but not my choice of a date flick but between the two of us, we've seen everything else currently out (besides the ones indicated).

A Haunted House seems like terrible terrible trash in my eyes but she's the kind of person that might like it...

Short version. Going on a date with any of those movies will not get you laid.

I'm not worried about that part, trust me.

Mama is getting decent reviews (63% average), and it's a horror film (so you might get her holding onto you).

That would be my top pick since I generally like Guillermo del Toro's films. She's already holding on to my arm when we go out so I'm not really trying to progress the relationship from square one or anything, I just don't want to be bored out of my mind during a movie. Horror movies usually bore me because I find them predictable which is the only thing I have against this one, but out of the other choices this would be my top pick; I just don't know how she feels about horror movies. It hasn't really come up in conversation but she seems like she'd be a baby and refuse to see it all together.

Thanks though, to both of you. This forum really does deliver! haha
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: January 28, 2013, 08:55:10 PM »
Movie 43 looks like a Hollywood copy of The Underground Comedy Movie starring the Sham-wow guy.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #3955 on: January 28, 2013, 09:43:08 PM »
I saw Mama this last weekend. Very good, but very predictable scares. Pretty standard for a post-The Ring horror movie.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #3956 on: January 28, 2013, 09:45:05 PM »
Zach, you are a fucking psychopath. You know the aurochs in the movie weren't meant to be real, right?

It's a filmmaker issue. Whoever made the movie could've put a saber-tooth tiger or an entelodont or any other ACTUAL DANGEROUS ANIMAL on that woman's leg. And she could've been yapping about how marsupial lions almost caused our extinction. But no, the filmmaker went with CATTLE. THAT'S the part that annoys me. It's irresponsible and there's no reason to do it that way.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: January 29, 2013, 07:43:24 AM »
Just to reiterate. You do realise the Aurochs were a metaphor right? They're not supposed to be taken literally. They were a young girl's imagined threat in the face of the much larger threat of global warming. It's completely immaterial what Aurochs actually looked or behaved like, it's irrelevant. Hushpuppy imagines them as they're shown in the film.
Gouge away.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: January 29, 2013, 08:08:53 AM »
I just saw Lincoln last night.

I'm not sure what to make of it just yet. Not being an American, my understanding of the person of Lincoln and the events surrounding the 13th amendment are pretty limited, but I do feel like the film managed to strike a good balance between showing the machinery of politics while still managing to convey the ideals that motivated the man himself.

My big issue with the film, however, was the amount of times Lincoln sermonised throughout the movie. I found myself in agreement with one character in the film (the secretary of war I believe) who stated something to the effect that he could not bare to stand another one of Lincoln's stories. At a certain point in the film I too became weary of both Lincoln's grandiose oratory and his incessent parables.

Although the film was attempting to make a point about the need to be pragmatic, often as not I found myself more in agreement with Tommy Lee Jone's character.

Still, it's a good film with some great performances.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:10:37 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: January 29, 2013, 10:12:30 AM »
As a film, removed from actual history, Lincoln didn't really do it for me.

I saw Men in Black 3 for the first time last weekend and thought it was awesome. I was surprised since I thought MiB2 was regrettable.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #3960 on: January 29, 2013, 12:45:50 PM »
Movie 43 looks like a Hollywood copy of The Underground Comedy Movie starring the Sham-wow guy.

wow I didn't even think about that, never seem it though.

my only interest in the movie is to see how it comes together as a whole. i read somewhere that it was multiple stories but couldn't conform if they were pieced together in an over arching manor. Of its like that one episode of the simpsons, I'd be interested.

we didn't end up seeing a movie.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3961 on: January 29, 2013, 02:25:25 PM »
my only interest in the movie is to see how it comes together as a whole. i read somewhere that it was multiple stories but couldn't conform if they were pieced together in an over arching manor. Of its like that one episode of the simpsons, I'd be interested.

You mean like the episode "22 Short Films About Springfield"?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: January 29, 2013, 03:56:58 PM »
yes, exactly.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3963 on: January 29, 2013, 03:59:48 PM »
Well, Wikipedia says that the main version of the film is presented as someone trying to pitch different films to a studio executive, then the executive hating them and forcing him to watch different films. An alternate version shown in countries like the UK though has it set up as 3 teens searching the world for the most banned movies.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: January 29, 2013, 04:07:22 PM »
I'll wait for netflix.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: January 29, 2013, 04:09:38 PM »
Anyone seen Seveen Psychopaths? Is it good?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: January 29, 2013, 04:33:42 PM »

I thought it was enjoyable, but it was nowhere near as funny or as rebellious as In Bruges.

Arguably, it also manages to fall into the same traps as the Tarrantino-inspired gangster movies that it's ridiculing (the disregard for female characters, the fact that characters are defined by a quirk be it in their personality or their physical appearance, the disappointing deflated ending etc). Some might say that these things were intentional, or that McDonagh was being satirical, but it didn't really work for me.

The mechanics of the narrative aside though, the film can be hilarious. Walken, Rockwell and Waits are particularly good.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 04:36:33 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: January 29, 2013, 08:21:25 PM »
Decided to see The Liability instead.

It was a decent to good movie with an interesting subject matter. I don't want to ruin it but there is a scene where a guy is getting choked out in a car with some wire. Now I've seen this sort of scene a lot, but I haven't ever seen someone do what I would do in that situation: LEAN THE SEAT BACK. Pansies.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: January 29, 2013, 08:23:44 PM »

i watched 7 psychopaths, but i was very hammered.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3969 on: January 29, 2013, 08:23:49 PM »
Not all cars have seats that do that. Plus, in that situation you don't have time to think.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: January 29, 2013, 08:30:32 PM »
Not all cars have seats that lean back on the drivers side? Maybe not in the Democratic Republic of North Korea.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3971 on: January 29, 2013, 08:34:06 PM »
Do you mean push the seat back (i.e. just move it back toward the back) or lean it back (i.e. it basically becomes more horizontal?). Because it you mean lean it more horizontal, it's really common for seats not to do that.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: January 29, 2013, 08:40:11 PM »
Every car I've ever been in can lean the seat back so it's horizontal. Maybe not all the way, but definitely enough to save your life in that situation.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3973 on: January 29, 2013, 08:44:17 PM »
Well, most cars I have been in have not.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: January 29, 2013, 09:04:43 PM »
In Russia, car drives you.