Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553396 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3850 on: January 06, 2013, 10:57:31 PM »
Adam West does count, because he was in a theatrical Batman movie too (1966's Batman: The Movie).

I thought Clooney was the best, he had the appeal that Bruce Wayne has, and the cred as Batman. Bale does not pull it off.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: January 07, 2013, 12:35:05 AM »
here is a compilation of Batman Actors

i wish it had more Clooney chin though.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/NIFOSITE/news/?a=71960

clooney agrees he was the worse batman

Joel Schumacher Apologizes  for Batman and Robin

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:43:10 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #3852 on: January 07, 2013, 10:29:49 AM »
Adam West was great and he totally counts and people who discount the 60's Batman stuff need to check themselves lest they wreck themselves. Also Jim Carrey was really good as The Riddler.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: January 07, 2013, 10:55:27 AM »
Adam West does count, because he was in a theatrical Batman movie too (1966's Batman: The Movie).

I thought Clooney was the best, he had the appeal that Bruce Wayne has, and the cred as Batman. Bale does not pull it off.
You have problems, Spyke.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: January 07, 2013, 12:57:02 PM »
I have to agree.  You have to count Adam West.  He really brought Batman back into the general Consciousness.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3855 on: January 07, 2013, 03:02:08 PM »
Tyler Perry as Batman.

and maybe catwoman too?

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: January 07, 2013, 05:49:13 PM »
I finally got around to watching 'The Grey' today. I ignored this film when it was released because it had Liam Neeson and the marketing and trailers made it look like crap. How wrong I was.

Rather than being 'Wolves on a Plane' as the marketing and trailers would suggest (Neeson sticking broken bottles to his hands and then running at a Wolf clearly with the intention of starting a fist fight?! 'That film looks stupid' was my thought), it turns out that this film is actually pretty damn good.

This film is nothing like what I expected. It's actually surprisingly introspective and examines such heady issues as suicide, family break-up, belief in an afterlife, and the power of nature. Luckily the film only dips it's toes into these topics and doesn't go so far as to cram them down the audience's throat.

In fact, despite it's sometimes brooding nature the film manages to string it all together with some great action set-pieces and a few characters who you actually care about. That was another surprsing thing; the film does a very economical job of making you care about the characters. It does a lot with a little. Small scenes, 2 -3 minutes long, are often all we get in terms of building up these characters, but they are handled wilth such deftness that they really work.

The thing that this film does best, however, is that it constantly surprises. Without going into too much detail, I don't think it's a spoiler to say that in this man vs nature story some people die. What's surprising though is the way in which this familiar story unfolds; with characters you would expect to survive being killed off unceremoniously, while characters who would normally be dog food in similar films actually go on to have an actual arc to their character.

'The Grey' is the sort of action film you can feel good about. It might even make you think a little.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:00:55 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: January 07, 2013, 08:24:10 PM »
The Grey was the worst film I've watched in a long time. It was self absorbed, predictable, and so far outside of the realm of possibility that it was hard to do anything but laugh. Not a single one of the characters was even likable.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: January 07, 2013, 09:00:48 PM »
Such differing opinions, can't wait to check it out for myself.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: January 07, 2013, 09:30:39 PM »
I know this is getting to be a bit of a cliché, but if Spyke says it sucks, it's probably pretty good, and vice-versa. Case in point - Batman Forever...Nickelback...

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #3860 on: January 07, 2013, 09:56:31 PM »

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: January 08, 2013, 01:55:27 AM »
The Grey was the worst film I've watched in a long time. It was self absorbed, predictable, and so far outside of the realm of possibility that it was hard to do anything but laugh. Not a single one of the characters was even likable.

Self absorbed? I can maybe see why someone might think that (although I don't agree). Predictable? Absolutely not. Outside the realm of possiblity? Probably, but then again if you're looking for realism then don't watch a film about Liam Neeson punching wolves in the face.

You're opinion actually matches up quite well with what my expectatons had been. I'm happy to report, however, that 'The Grey' was thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:58:00 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: January 08, 2013, 11:09:28 AM »
THE GREY is really good. On top of being everything Pixies said it was, it's also possibly the most masculine movie ever. And not in a cheesy 80s Rambo way (which, don't get me wrong, is tons of fun), in a real way. The movie has a lot on its mind, which was genuinely surprising to me.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: January 08, 2013, 10:23:01 PM »
Predictable? Absolutely not.

I called both of the "twists" at the end before the first act of the film was even over. It was about as predictable as one can get. Besides, the suspension of disbelief required to watch the film was far too much. I don't expect films to be super realistic, but I do go in assuming that they'll at least adhere to some kind of logic.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3864 on: January 08, 2013, 10:36:43 PM »
The Perks of Being a Wallflower at the dollar theatre. Much better than I expected. I don't buy for one second that Charlie is a freshman since he looks like he is 17 (not 14 or 15). Pretty messed up what happened to him when he was younger. My favorite character was Patrick (Sam's gay step-brother), he was so funny and interesting.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: January 08, 2013, 11:17:16 PM »
I finally got around to watching 'The Grey' today. I ignored this film when it was released because it had Liam Neeson and the marketing and trailers made it look like crap. How wrong I was.

Rather than being 'Wolves on a Plane' as the marketing and trailers would suggest (Neeson sticking broken bottles to his hands and then running at a Wolf clearly with the intention of starting a fist fight?! 'That film looks stupid' was my thought), it turns out that this film is actually pretty damn good.

This film is nothing like what I expected. It's actually surprisingly introspective and examines such heady issues as suicide, family break-up, belief in an afterlife, and the power of nature. Luckily the film only dips it's toes into these topics and doesn't go so far as to cram them down the audience's throat.

In fact, despite it's sometimes brooding nature the film manages to string it all together with some great action set-pieces and a few characters who you actually care about. That was another surprsing thing; the film does a very economical job of making you care about the characters. It does a lot with a little. Small scenes, 2 -3 minutes long, are often all we get in terms of building up these characters, but they are handled wilth such deftness that they really work.

The thing that this film does best, however, is that it constantly surprises. Without going into too much detail, I don't think it's a spoiler to say that in this man vs nature story some people die. What's surprising though is the way in which this familiar story unfolds; with characters you would expect to survive being killed off unceremoniously, while characters who would normally be dog food in similar films actually go on to have an actual arc to their character.

'The Grey' is the sort of action film you can feel good about. It might even make you think a little.

I agree 100%. The Grey was a fantastic movie, and having Liam Neeson in it was just icing on the cake. He is one of my favorite actors.*

*Even though every character he plays as has that same brooding, monotone personality, the way he gets so immersed in his roles just works. He makes his characters believable.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: January 14, 2013, 01:40:45 AM »
Django Unchained - 9.5/10

Easily Tarantino's second best film, if not tied for his best (which would be Inglrious Basterds). I don't know that it's a movie that you can watch over and over, but it's pretty damn great. Even at nearly two and a half hours, you never feel like it's a chore to sit through it, it just keeps getting better and better as it goes along. Jamie Foxx and Christoph Waltz are both excellent, it's really hard to find any faults with the movie.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: January 14, 2013, 02:03:39 AM »
Django's ending is super anticlimactic, pointless and very WHYish for me.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: January 14, 2013, 02:04:55 AM »
Django Unchained - 9.5/10

Easily Tarantino's second best film, if not tied for his best (which would be Inglrious Basterds). I don't know that it's a movie that you can watch over and over, but it's pretty damn great. Even at nearly two and a half hours, you never feel like it's a chore to sit through it, it just keeps getting better and better as it goes along. Jamie Foxx and Christoph Waltz are both excellent, it's really hard to find any faults with the movie.

That's reassuring. I'm a big fan of Tarantino, but I've been hearing mixed things about Django. I'm looking forward to finally seeing it for myself when it releases here.

P.S. Pulp is his best.
Gouge away.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3869 on: January 14, 2013, 02:10:37 AM »
Pretty much the only person i've seen hate on Django is Spike Lee, and I think he is just jealous TBH. I started watching it but haven't finished yet, I do like it though.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3870 on: January 14, 2013, 03:11:52 AM »
Pretty much the only person i've seen hate on Django is Spike Lee, and I think he is just jealous TBH. I started watching it but haven't finished yet, I do like it though.

got that bootleg version huh?
how's the quality? ;)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: January 14, 2013, 07:56:58 AM »
It's Oscar season, DVD screeners of all the big names are available...or so I've heard.

The ending is anti-climactic I guess, but it doesn't hurt the movie. The scene that leads to the ending is pretty great, and I'm glad they don't **** up Tarantino's cameo.

Spike Lee was saying he wouldn't watch it because of the language that gets used so much, but it's never for humor or anything. That's kind of just the way that people talked back then.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: January 14, 2013, 09:31:56 AM »
Cat Ladies
I watched this documentary on YouTube. I think it was originally shown on Animal Planet. Not sure it counts as a movie, but I'll include it here. It was too short (less than 45 minutes) to follow 4 different cat ladies. They could have gone further with all of them. Margo only had 3, but her home was covered in cat memorabilia. Her story ends with 1 of her cats dying and the people in her life offering support. Jenny is a pretty real estate agent in her mid-30s who has 16 cats. Her story had the 2nd most disappointing ending. She decides that she has to make more of an effort in her interpersonal relationships with others. Great, but you kind of get the feeling she has already come to that conclusion several times over so really, there is no real resolution there. They barely dip into an abusive childhood and a strained relationship with her sister (she also has a brother she mentions once). Jenny, at one point, calls her sister and asks, "Is asshole there?" which I assume was referring to her sister's husband. These are holes in a story that would make it more complete and interesting.

Diane (pronounced Dee-ahn) has an addiction to rescuing cats and had over 130 (I think). She ended up reaching her breaking point and reducing her number to 95 by holding an adoption drive. They barely touch on the financial hardship of having so many cats (she had overdraft her debit account nearly $3000). Sigi kept hoarding cats to the point where family and friends stopped talking to her. She got to the point where she considered them excess and not the ridiculous amount of cats she continues to rescue while practically living in squalor. I was most disappointed with her story because they barely touch on the war she has with her new neighbors (a couple who moved in during the winter and no one told them of the crazy cat lady next door) and when Spring came, the gaggle of cats became a real problem. They gloss over a lot in this documentary. Each of them could have been the documentary alone.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
I enjoyed it despite the plot getting a bit confusing in the middle, something I felt MI3 avoided. I watched this on Netflix, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the scenes on the DVD was titled "Paula Patton's Boobs" because it was full of close-up shots of Paula Patton's boobs. Just an observation.

Anyway, the action sequences were really good which is the whole reason I watched this movie. They were the best in the series, in my opinion. That was kind of a letdown in the previous one. I liked that they not only explained away Ethan not being married anymore (which was boring in MI3), but used it in the plot of Ghost Protocol, even of it was kind of contrived.

Looper
I liked it, maybe not enough to have spent $20 on the Blu Ray. The time travel is a bit tricky, as it often is in other movies. One plot device has characters' in the present having their bodies changed to affect their future selves, but almost anything in the changed present should affect whether their future selves even get any back in time. The problem is basically that the movie can't decide whether there is 1 or multiple timelines. It changes it's mind to fit the plot. I get it even if I kept trying to reconcile it in my mind.

Old Joe getting erased from existence kind of bothered me. I'm not saying it makes the movie bad or worse. Rather, I just kept thinking, "Man, that's shitty." He just doesn't get to be. Additionally, the ending doesn't ensure that the Rainmaker doesn't become the Rainmaker. The audience is led to that conclusion. I felt that not specifically telling you is the point. Rian Johnson wants you to think about it and talk with others. I'm in the "Joe saves the future" camp. Just the way I interpreted the ending.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: January 14, 2013, 12:06:32 PM »
It's Oscar season, DVD screeners of all the big names are available...or so I've heard.

The ending is anti-climactic I guess, but it doesn't hurt the movie. The scene that leads to the ending is pretty great, and I'm glad they don't **** up Tarantino's cameo.

Spike Lee was saying he wouldn't watch it because of the language that gets used so much, but it's never for humor or anything. That's kind of just the way that people talked back then.

It was pretty humorous to the audience when Samuel L. Jackson used that kind of language.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: January 14, 2013, 12:50:49 PM »
I finally got around to watching 'Searching for Sugarman' this weekend. I cannot recommend this documentary enough. It concerns a muscian called Sixto Rodriguez who released two albums in the '70s that made no impact in his home country, the US, and fell into obscurity. He wasn't even a footnote in the annals of music. He was left out of the book altogether.

However, Rodriguez's songs inexplicably made their way to South Africa where they hit a nerve and became a soundtrack for a whole new generation. Hundreds of thousands of his records were sold (most of which are likely to have been bootleg copies) and Rodriguez (in South Africa at least) was elevated to the heights of such luminaries as Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, and Elvis Presley.

The documentary examines why this happened. How did such a seemingly talented muscian not receive recognition in his home country? Who was Rodriguez? And what happened to him? Stories abounded in South Africa about what had become of the artist himself, flames no doubt fanned by the fact that no real information existed about this mysterious muscian. Stories of Rodriguez performing a horrific on stage suicide became common knowledge in South Africa, but little was actually known about the man.

If you already know the story of Rodriguez then this will no doubt be an interesting watch, but if you go in knowing nothing about his story (as I did) then you will walk away amazed that something like this could happen. It truely is uplifting.

Plus, it doesn't hurt that the music is great.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:00:57 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.