Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553163 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3425 on: July 14, 2012, 07:30:11 PM »
The Amazing Spiderman 8/10 - That was pretty good. Some things are missing. The origin story isn't overdone, and because there are new characters it makes it good....and the bits are funny, so its totally forgivable. some scenes seem a little rushed, but they aren't a big deal. The Lizard looks better in the movie then he does in the promotional material. This movie I made sure to watch it in 3D. My only annoyance with 3d is my eyes adjust, but thats my problem i guess.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #3426 on: July 14, 2012, 09:38:42 PM »
I just saw Spider-Man, too. I thought it was pretty meh, but the Lizard was a good villain. I actually felt like the movie went on too long.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: July 14, 2012, 10:21:19 PM »
i thought the approach to the story was good, but the pacing was messed up. I thought it was kinda long, but thats because the intro was so long. Though as i said even though the intro is the origin story, which i was apprehensive about, but wasn't overdone. It just felt like they skimped on things. Like there isn't necessarily the "this follows this" sort of thing.

like parker doesn't really seem all to amazed he's got powers

Well before this movie was under production I always wanted to see lizard as a villain, i had expected a "the fly" style transformation, but it all happened in a hurry

Parker jumps to the conclusion that Connors is the lizard and he's about to do something evil...when theres not real evidence of that...maybe it was his spider senses?

the thing about this version of the universe is it has more room for expansion, which was the only reason i see a reboot as happening. This movie has room for a 6 movie arch.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 10:27:46 PM by ThePerm »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: July 15, 2012, 02:19:17 PM »
Connors was working on cross-species mutations, specifically with lizards and their ability to regrow limbs...and Peter saw how strange Connors was acting the night after the Lizard appeared.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: July 15, 2012, 10:49:17 PM »
Connors was working on cross-species mutations, specifically with lizards and their ability to regrow limbs...and Peter saw how strange Connors was acting the night after the Lizard appeared.

still, even despite his outing as the lizard, how would he automatically jump to the conclusion of mad scientist? He was yelling at the police station already, and that scene too was a little weird. I'm guessing a scene between was cut and thats why it seems disjointed. I mean he was right about his conclusion, but he sure arrived at it damn fast

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: July 30, 2012, 12:52:45 AM »
After seeing Dark Knight rises, I've obviously rated Amazing Spider-Man too high. It should be an 8.

The Dark Knight Rises - 9.5/10

This is the perfect ending to the Nolan/Bale Batman trilogy. It wraps things up in a way that is sure to please just about everyone who is a fan of the other two films. Do you need to see the other two films first? Yes, but if you haven't seen them already, then there is something wrong with you. Is it as good or even better than The Dark Knight? I would have to say that it as at least as good. Some people say that the movie had slow parts and may be too long, but I completely disagree, and it could have gone at least another half hour (mainly to beef up some of the content) and still be 100% enjoyable. The acting is terrific, the fight scenes are great, and the special effects are essentially perfect. There are some good surprises in the movie, and some characters from the other films besides the obvious ones you'd expect to see(like Cillian Murphy as Jonathan Crane/Scarecrow, who has been in all three films now, or Senator Patrick Leahy, who was held at knife point by The Joker in The Dark Knight). I can't believe I'm the first person to actually review this on here (not counting the spoiler thread). If you've seen the other two and are too scared to go to the theater, grow some balls and go watch it. If you haven't seen the other two, then go watch them and then go see this, because you're missing out on arguably the greatest movie trilogy since the original Star Wars films.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: July 30, 2012, 01:38:38 AM »
The Nolan trilogy for me has always been a series that has always strived to be more than a super hero movie. He didn't quite do it with Begins. Dark Knight finally broke that barrier, But it wasn't till Rises that it became a Great film. It wonderfully ties all three films together as a journey not only for Batman, but for the characters like Gordon, Alfred, and the city of Gotham itself. Films rarely has an emotional attachment to the proceedings for me, one of these film was Shindler's List which drew tears once at the end, Dark Knight Rises managed this twice. This is what separate a merely good movie from a great one, and it did it twice with a fictional character.

Here is a excellent tip for watching this movie, when you go in there forget everything you know about Batman and just focus on what the Nolan films have presented. Forget or avoid the marketing. Run away from your friends if you have to. It is the best way to see this movie.

I have to fully agree with Brandogg when he said "This is a greastest Trilogy since the Original Star Wars". Seriourly, if there is one movie you will ever go to the the cinema to watch all year, this is it. TDKR has fundamentally shifted me expectations of superhero movies to somewhere that may never be matched ever again.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: July 30, 2012, 01:50:40 AM »
Day @ the Movies July 2012

quick review:

Ted - Funny. Almost like a live version Family Guy Episode. flashbacks and randomness incluided

Batman: TDKR - Amazing movie. best of the trilogy and as a trilogy ender, will obviously be very, very hard to beat. I almost want a sequel, but I'm sure it just wouldn't be the same.

Amazing Spiderman: Good Movie. few very minor inconsistencies, but overall, it was pretty good and I look forward to a sequel.

Overall, I'm very pleased with all 3 movies watched today. If it had lined up better, I would have also squeezed in either Savages or The Watch, but I'm sure either of those moved would have dragged down a great triple feature.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: July 30, 2012, 01:52:49 AM »
So it's even better than Sam Raimi's Spider-Man films (not counting the 3rd one, cause that sucked)?

I guess Christopher Nolan is the new "Steven Spielberg" or "Oliver Stone", considering all the praise he's been getting with his Batman films. The weird thing is, you never see this much praise given to TV show directors.

And if you haven't seen it yet, District 9 is an amazing film. It's made by Neil Blomkamp, the same director that was going to make the Halo movie (and he actually made a few short films set in the Halo universe).
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: July 30, 2012, 12:52:27 PM »
idk, the TV directors/writers that get the most praise are also the ones that make movies too like J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindeloff. That being said, i think as auteurs film directors have more creative control than tv directors. The producer credit in tv shows is more like the director credit. I would have to say to some extant the TV system for production is probably more efficient, though it has some flaws.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3435 on: August 01, 2012, 01:40:44 AM »
PiranahDD hilarious/10... it's really sad when I know something is coming, and its morbid and twisted.

Lockout 6.6/10 somewhere between meh and fair. It could have been great if done right. Guy Pearce is great though.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: August 01, 2012, 03:50:56 AM »
I've past out twice trying to finish Lockout.

I thought Guy Pearce was good as an actor but way too flat as a character. His one-liners-all-the-time character was hit or miss throughout the movie.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: August 01, 2012, 04:51:49 AM »
its just a lame ass movie, its not outright terrible though. I wish he punched the presidents daughter in the face more. It seems like a movie I would have liked had it came out in like 1998. Its funny, because I've been planning out a movie taking place in space I was looking at the set design, and it looks cheap as ****.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: August 01, 2012, 04:54:57 AM »
The bike chase scene at the beginning was just plain bad. Terrible.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: August 01, 2012, 05:01:36 AM »
the movie cost 20 million, obviously the 20 million was spent on the actors. All the actors were great except Maggie Grace.

Super I love Ellen Page/10

it was by a newbie director though, so that's worth noting.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:07:47 AM by ThePerm »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: August 26, 2012, 04:57:58 PM »
The Expendable 2

Can you say forced 80`s references crammed in as much as possible.
Chuck Norris is the most non-intimidating "bad-ass" and bad actor. He made me think of Tim the tool man Taylor and Al Borland from tool time. Not the vibe i should have gotten from him... he sounded more like a clerk at your local home depot. And so many plot holes, especially in the beginning. But I'll get into that later, still at the theater.

Overall, 7/10

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: August 26, 2012, 05:36:16 PM »
Chuck Norris was good in Breaker! Breaker!, I'm also thinking all the Chuck Norris jokes started  after the movie Sidekicks.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: August 27, 2012, 12:37:16 AM »
ok, so another Day @ the Movies has concluded.
The roster of movies for the day were:

The Expendable 2
Premium Rush
The Campaign
Hit and Run

I liked Expendables 2, but it has some very obvious flaws starting with some minor plot holes in the beginning and ending with forced dialog from aged action stars cramming in references to movies from yesteryears. Some delivery was very bad, especially from Arnold and Chuck Norris (horrible Chuck Norris joke made by Sly and finished by Chuck). both of them were too old to actually do anything but talk and shoot, although Arnold did have a good moment with a car ;)
This was a pure action movie, only taking breaks from the action to set up the next action scene.
Good mindless violent bloody action. Homage to old action flicks was a little heavy, but they managed to pull it off.
p.s. Dolph Lundgren is a fool. he had us laughing.

Premium Rush - a movie about a bike messenger in New York City.... better than I expected. It's told slightly out of order, but it all makes sense in the end. Some pretty good action/chase scenes and a fair amount of humor spread throughout.

The Campaign - I don't remember where I heard that this movie was funny.... but  I was falling asleep somewhere in the first 5 minutes. There is humor and it is a comedy, it just wasn't really funny. I suggested walking out about 30 minutes before the end just so that we could squeeze in 1 more movie.... but unfortunately we stayed till the credits started rolling.... and then they tried to play another scene during the credits, but we kept walking, we didn't care, it was time to move on.
p.s. Zack Galifinakis looked like the guy from Office Space that just wanted his stapler back during the whole movie. He needs his beard back.

Hit and Run - I missed the first 20 or so minutes thanks to The Campaign, but I still enjoyed this movie from the moment we came in till the moment it was over. It had some action, some comedy and Kristen Bell (in the shower). This one was worth sticking around for even if it was just to get the bad taste of the previous movie out of our minds, and it did.

I'm not sure which one I liked more, Premium Rush or Hit and Run, but those 2 and The Expendables 2 made today a pretty decent run at the movies today.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: August 27, 2012, 02:20:42 AM »
The Campaign - How do I get back at you? I **** your wife/10. I thought it was hilarious. I would elaborate why its hilarious, but I would have to get into politics.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: August 27, 2012, 09:28:39 AM »
This shower scene. Elaborate.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: August 27, 2012, 10:22:56 AM »
This shower scene. Elaborate.
With Pictures.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3446 on: August 27, 2012, 05:51:33 PM »
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: August 27, 2012, 10:30:41 PM »
Well, now that I've finally seen the Avengers, I've seen all 3 of the Summer's Superhero movies.  Honestly, The Avengers underwhelmed me, especially after how the internet has hyped it up as "TEH BE$T THANG EVAR!"  Sure, Stark and Banner had some great dialogue and the fight scenes (especially in the final battle) were very well-done, but you strip away the action and there's nothing there.  There's almost no story to speak of, making the whole movie just one long string of loosely-connected fight scenes involving characters I strangely didn't find myself caring about despite liking them in their original movies.  Maybe it's due to having seen this all already (and done better) in the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes animated series, but the movie just didn't feel like anything special to me.

I really didn't think I would, but I have to side with Dark Knight Rises as the best of the 3 superhero movies this Summer (with Amazing Spider-Man behind it).  Sure, it doesn't have the flash, some of the dialogue wit, or the stakes riding on it that The Avengers does, but it does actually have a pretty good story and that story is pretty well-told.  I cared about the characters in DKR, and the film does feel like it took risks (such as making Batman largely a secondary character to the city itself).

Hopefully, this Avengers movie will springboard into better Avengers films in the future that are more than just watching people's favorite action figures hit each other for 2 1/2 hours.  As it is, I thought The Avengers was "merely" a good movie...not an amazing one.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: August 28, 2012, 01:55:20 AM »
DKR made Batman a secondary character to Bruce Wayne. Sure watching Batman punching people is fun, but this has a solid emotional core that elevates it beyond being a Super hero or action movie.

On the other hand, there is Battleship. Of all the ways to spend a two hundred million dollars, burning it and filming the results would have provided more entertainment and proved far less insulting. I spent virtually the entire running time of this movie wishing death for anyone and everyone on screen, especially the "Main Protagonist". **** the people who worked on this "movie". May they never work on another movie ever again, except Liam Neeson. What the **** man... I can't believe I would recommend any Michael Bay film over this.

On the other end of the scale there is The Men Who Stare at Goats. It's a surreal, reality bending movie. It's funny, it has likeable characters, the dialodge is sharp, with plenty of laughs, satire, bits of action. A good watch.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: September 02, 2012, 12:41:04 AM »
DKR made Batman a secondary character to Bruce Wayne. Sure watching Batman punching people is fun, but this has a solid emotional core that elevates it beyond being a Super hero or action movie.

On the other hand, there is Battleship. Of all the ways to spend a two hundred million dollars, burning it and filming the results would have provided more entertainment and proved far less insulting. I spent virtually the entire running time of this movie wishing death for anyone and everyone on screen, especially the "Main Protagonist". **** the people who worked on this "movie". May they never work on another movie ever again, except Liam Neeson. What the **** man... I can't believe I would recommend any Michael Bay film over this.

On the other end of the scale there is The Men Who Stare at Goats. It's a surreal, reality bending movie. It's funny, it has likeable characters, the dialogue is sharp, with plenty of laughs, satire, bits of action. A good watch.

i was going to make a near identical post just now

I kinda wished when they got on the battleship and drove off into the ocean that it automatically started sinking because it was old, and then one of the old guys moans "oh, you sunk my battleship!" Then a big "The End" card rolls up with some disgruntled horns and it abruptly ends.