Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553271 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3100 on: March 26, 2012, 12:59:35 AM »
Kairon is such a cool guy!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: March 26, 2012, 01:00:43 AM »
I did another Day @ the Movies for March 2012

4 movies this time.

1st up
Hunger Games - First I just want to say that I was surprised at how many people were in the theater for this on @ 10:45am on a Sunday. It was good. and there was nothing graphic in it the brick scene was not graphic as they didn't really show anything. which I guess was also the purpose of the quick cuts during the fight scenes. but I look forward to a sequel. THis was probably my favorite movie of the day.

Project X - now I admit that I got this one mixed up with the super hero movie where the kids accidentally get super powers, but I actually enjoyed this one for several different reasons. 1) what a crazy fuckin party. I wish I was 12-15 years younger just so I could have attended. With what I know know being applied to back then... just know that it could have been a really great nite. 2) I know everyone in the movie... it was very sad, creepy and odd. I have a friend that could take the place of just about every character in the movie, it made the movie very surreal at times. 3) What a fuckin party!! Did I say that already?
it got a little carried away and I have been to parties that on some level began to head in that direction, but this movie cranked it up to 11 at the end. I see a few direct to DVD sequels in the near future. Probably college focused.

John Carter - I slept through a large portion of the 1st hour of this one. It's not that it was boring, I just didn't get much sleep, just finished some taco bell and the 3D glasses were making my head feel weird. But from what I did watch of it it seemed alright. Not much to say since I didn't see the whole thing, but I could see a sequel coming for this one too.... if it weren't for that massive bomb in ticket sales that it suffered.

21 Jump Street - This movie was hilarious in the stupidest of ways and was my #2 movie of the day. If you are looking for a good comedy, this is the one to go see. But there was something a little worrying about it. lots of sexual advances involving underage girls from 2 guys that are supposed to be in their mid to late 20's. Outside of that, Sequel incoming for sure. *SPOILER ALERT*cameo by original 21 Jump Street cast was good too. JD surprised me and then what happened to him right afterwards was crazy.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: March 26, 2012, 01:04:53 AM »
I want to go see John Carter ever since I found out that the director of Wall-E and Finding Nemo is in charge. It's also nice to know that the author that wrote the book it was based off of inspired some of the greatest directors and movies of all time (Aliens, Terminator, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, etc.).
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: March 26, 2012, 01:08:13 AM »
Hunger Games - [...] It was good. and there was nothing graphic in it the brick scene was not graphic as they didn't really show anything. which I guess was also the purpose of the quick cuts during the fight scenes.

... which has been my argument all along.  :D

Now, if anyone wants to discuss the quick-cuts during the first half of the film, I might be more open to complaining about those.

On one hand, it's distracting to me and I hate it.  It was really unnecessary during the first half.

On the other hand, I could see how if it the first half was smooth as butter, then, suddenly, during the second half, the camera starts skipping around, it could make the entire film feel disjointed.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: March 26, 2012, 01:09:39 AM »
I saw it tonight and while a good to great movie, I didn't think it was amazing. I'm not even sure I'd watch it again. I will say this however, the acting was superb. I was really shocked by how well 'Katness' performed. Some scenes you could tell the director wanted to say cut because of time but decided to just keep rolling. She deserves some kind of award.

Also, the scene where Rue dies...I couldn't help but think what her father was doing at that very moment, and the movie answered it for me, with genuine emotion and passion. I thought when Katness gave the symbol of the oppressed (that's at least what I called it) after she covered Rue with flowers and then the riot scene that started immediately afterward were the greatest 5 minutes of the film. Everything else seemed like a ploy to stay alive or let someone else live, but that moment -- where the father didn't give a **** -- was easily the most genuine emotion in the film. It stuck with me.

And yeah, shaky cam sucks ass. There are ways to show people dying without shaking up the camera. Just ask James Cameron.

EDIT: Oh and BTW, it's pretty unrealistic. We all know if it really came down to it, the black guy would win. Good luck finding a black dude at night in a jungle. Just sayin'.

1st of all Katness is a really retarded name. 2nd, she did a wonderful job acting and I look forward to the sequel. 3rd, Rue....I admit to shedding a tear. that whole scene was handled really well and the cutback to her district was really powerful and now I see why the peace keepers are there so sad to see her go. 4th who didn't crack up at Katness almost stepping on that dudes head when he had his rock face make-up on? He looked ridiculous... and where did he get the materials to do that? crazy

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3105 on: March 26, 2012, 01:14:37 AM »
1st of all Katness is a really retarded name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagittaria

Might help a little.  Doesn't really roll off the tongue though.  After watching the movie, my wife complained that there would be an uptick in the number of kids named Katniss now.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3106 on: March 26, 2012, 01:17:31 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me, records show that "Isabella" saw a big increase after the Twilight movies started coming out.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: March 26, 2012, 01:29:34 AM »
BnM, along with a lot of other things, I think that was just to add humor to the film. Honestly, it was because of the humor that turned a good story into a better one. - H

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: March 26, 2012, 03:22:20 AM »
I had significant problems with the movie when i saw it on Friday. I wasn't too comfortable with the plot (but then that was kind of its intention?) and wasn't really feeling how pompous the Capitol was in comparison to everything else. But thinking about it, i guess that's what the atmosphere was meant to be.

Shakycam and high speed moving-camera shots actually makes me dizzy if watched for more than a few second at a time and this movie had far too many of those. I had to look down the whole time to avoid them. Stargate Universe, so far, is the only thing i've seen that's done shakycam properly so i can actually watch it.

The Dark Knight managed to cover over the tense scenes really well you wanna know how i got these scars? so The Hunger Games could have too without shaking the camera violently.

A personal issue for me: i didn't like how racially unbalanced the movie was. You telling me that there is no non-white people AT ALL in District 12?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:14:13 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3109 on: March 27, 2012, 12:28:06 AM »
Dude, they needed the shakey camera to maintain a PG-13 rating. No one wants to see 13 year old children getting their necks slit open by a huge knife with no sort of discretion shot. The best way to do this was through shakey camera.

The shakey cam was used in about 90% of the movie. Even while characters are sitting on a train having a conversation or sitting in a presumably unmoving building while having a dinner conversation. The shakey cam was mild, but constant throughout the movie. Coupled with the quick cuts, it was very distracting.

You answered your own question with the sponsors. And it was established that the berries were poisonous when that one girl (Foxface) had accidently eaten them.

You should probably just pay more attention.

My problem was that the sponsor system was never really explained. And there was a huge amount of time from the "earn sponsorship" plot point and the actual sponsor saving the character's life. And the girl eating the berries wasn't super obvious to me. Sorry if I wasn't paying enough attention, but this was another scene where the shakey cam was distracting, especially since it was a somewhat important plot point occurring in a very fast scene. And Catnip (or w/e the **** her name is) just says, "Dude!" and the guy just looks at her and says "I'm sorry, I didn't know!" He needed three words to make that clear. The movie took the time to explain the **** out of the hallucinogenic bees, but zero seconds on poisonous berries that the characters almost used to kill themselves and are again used to imply the death sentence put on the king of games beard guy.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: March 27, 2012, 12:58:56 AM »
Has anyone seen this?

http://jezebel.com/5896408/racist-hunger-games-fans-dont-care-how-much-money-the-movie-made

It disgusts me. Damn racist bastards. THIS is what modern racism looks like.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3111 on: March 27, 2012, 01:05:37 AM »
Yeah, THAT is the face of modern racism. That one thing. And nothing else going on in the press. Nothing at all.

Not trying to start it. Please don't ban me.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: March 27, 2012, 01:24:55 AM »
My problem was that the sponsor system was never really explained. And there was a huge amount of time from the "earn sponsorship" plot point and the actual sponsor saving the character's life. And the girl eating the berries wasn't super obvious to me. Sorry if I wasn't paying enough attention, but this was another scene where the shakey cam was distracting, especially since it was a somewhat important plot point occurring in a very fast scene. And Catnip (or w/e the **** her name is) just says, "Dude!" and the guy just looks at her and says "I'm sorry, I didn't know!" He needed three words to make that clear. The movie took the time to explain the **** out of the hallucinogenic bees, but zero seconds on poisonous berries that the characters almost used to kill themselves and are again used to imply the death sentence put on the king of games beard guy.

actually the scene with the berries was spelled out (iirc). Dude was grabbing berries and she said "those are something something berries. eat those and you'll be dead in minutes". to which he replied "oh, I didn't know." and that all coincided with fox face having a hand and face full of berries.
of course that is all paraphrased as I don't remember the exact phrasing, but I'm pretty sure that's how it went down in the movie... but I could be remembering it wrong.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: March 27, 2012, 02:24:55 AM »
I hope all you newly minted Jennifer Lawrence fans find some time to watch the actress in her oscar-nominated breakout role as the lead in 2010's Winter's Bone.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: March 27, 2012, 03:30:10 AM »
Hunger Games was a mix of 1984, Death Race, Battle Royale, and The Running Man blended pretty well. I can't complain except to say i've seen all those movies. The fights sucked though, that upclose **** never flies with me. Being that it was based on a dystopian book it kinda reminded me of the Giver, which im still waiting to get made into movie.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:34:09 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: March 27, 2012, 10:29:38 AM »
Yeah, THAT is the face of modern racism. That one thing. And nothing else going on in the press. Nothing at all.

Not trying to start it. Please don't ban me.

Can you not act like a douche for like 5 seconds? I break out in hives when people like you talk to me.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: March 27, 2012, 01:41:09 PM »
You're the lousiest poster on this site, Oblivion. You'd be perfect for a staff role.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: March 27, 2012, 03:12:25 PM »
He's nowhere near our league.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: March 27, 2012, 03:31:31 PM »
Not insidious enough.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: March 27, 2012, 04:06:50 PM »
You're the lousiest poster on this site, Oblivion. You'd be perfect for a staff role.

yay

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3120 on: March 27, 2012, 05:51:03 PM »
I hope all you newly minted Jennifer Lawrence fans find some time to watch the actress in her oscar-nominated breakout role as the lead in 2010's Winter's Bone.

That's where I've seen her before! But yeah...I fell asleep during that movie. It's a terrible movie (the parts that I saw).

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: March 27, 2012, 06:01:23 PM »
That was the one about the meth-dealers wasn't it? I remember really liking it, but I've only seen it the once.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: March 27, 2012, 11:13:34 PM »
Saw the Hungry Hungry Hippos Games movie.

I liked it, with reservations.

PROS:

- No exposition. A big fan of how they never sit you down and explain exactly what is going on in this world. I never read the book so it was great to discover new things about the world as the movie went on. Hell, they never even say the name of Elizabeth Banks' character.
- Jennifer Lawrence. Loved her in Winter's Bone, loved her in this. She's a bonafide leading woman. Also the character she played is an actual character and does stuff and is active as opposed to the total passive blank slate that Bella is in the Twilight series. Makes it so everything about the story isn't inherently broken.
- Kid on kid brutal violence is always a plus.

CONS:

- Some of the WORST shaky cam I've ever seen. When done well, it can be great like in the Bourne sequels and The Hurt Locker, but this was just sloppy and terrible.
- I couldn't tell if the love story stuff was supposed to be genuine or if it was just an attempt for the characters to be more crowd pleasing. I was told afterwards by people who read the book it was supposed to be the latter and thinking back on it it certainly makes more sense that way, but in the theater I was baffled.
- I knew, I think, immediately when Rue started following Katniss around that she was gonna die. I mean of course she had to, that's the point of the Hunger Games. The predictability didn't bother me as much as the execution did. We barely spend any time with Rue before she takes a spear to the gut and I didn't really care on any level other than, "It's sad because she was a young girl." Could have done more with her before offing her and making that moment really painful. Instead she just feels like a plot device.

So yeah. Not great, but a solid "good." Considering how I feel about most cultural phenomenons, I look at this one as a huge win.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: March 27, 2012, 11:33:55 PM »
The shakey cam was used in about 90% of the movie. Even while characters are sitting on a train having a conversation or sitting in a presumably unmoving building while having a dinner conversation. The shakey cam was mild, but constant throughout the movie. Coupled with the quick cuts, it was very distracting.

I think I posted this here - it might have been another site... but I do agree - too much shakey/ADHD cam...  but I also think that it might have made the movie feel a little disjointed if one style of camera was used for half the movie, then switched over for the other half...

I knew, I think, immediately when Rue started following Katniss around that she was gonna die. I mean of course she had to, that's the point of the Hunger Games. The predictability didn't bother me as much as the execution did. We barely spend any time with Rue before she takes a spear to the gut and I didn't really care on any level other than, "It's sad because she was a young girl." Could have done more with her before offing her and making that moment really painful. Instead she just feels like a plot device.

Agreed, so far as the movie goes.  The book expands on this character quite a bit.  It's one of the pitfalls of trying to cram an entire book into a 2-hour movie. :(

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: March 27, 2012, 11:56:27 PM »
Sure, and it's understandable. But still annoying.