Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553255 times)

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2250 on: April 28, 2011, 01:13:32 AM »
I saw Kurosawa's Ran recently. Not as awesome as his Mifune classics, but I really loved how horribly bleak it is. The film is gorgeous and has the best clouds ever. An odd compliment, but they play probably the most important role in the film. Kurosawa can compose a shot better than anyone.

I also saw African Cats. Afterwards I thought, "It'd be worth the inevitable face mauling to own a cheetah."

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: April 29, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »
Three movies up on the docket:

Eden of the East: The King of Eden - My general thought after finishing the Eden of the East anime series earlier this year can basically be summed up as "wait, that's it?"  I was willing to give the lack of resolution a bit of a pass since I knew 2 movies were on their way to wrap up the story.  Unfortunately, literally the first thing I said when the credits rolled at the 1:20:00 mark (which is really short for an anime movie) was still "wait, that's it?!"  While things do happen in this movie and we finally meet another of the 12 Selecao, there's probably only about 20 minutes of actual plot advancement in this movie.  The rest of that time is spent looking for the main character, and then convincing him that there's stuff that needs to be done.  And when the credits hit, there's no sign the movie is about to end.  The characters just enter a jet like in any other scene, and the credits roll.  Like the TV series, this movie is all build-up and little else.  The second movie, Paradise Lost, has a lot to wrap-up now, and I have little faith it will satisfactorily.

The Prestige - I watched this on the recommendation of a friend of mine.  Unfortunately, my copy had audio problems so it was hard to hear a lot of the dialogue, but the movie overall was pretty decent.  My main gripe is that the editing is needlessly complicated, with the movie constantly skipping forward and back in time.  I don't generally have a problem with framed storytelling, but this editing is just artsy self-indulgence and doesn't really do the film any favors.  The movie's biggest magical trick is also a fatal flaw, as it basically breaks the rules set by the movie and requires a phenomenal leap of faith to take seriously.

Source Code - Just saw this one in the theaters (something I rarely do), and I liked this movie quite a bit.  There's a lot of high-concept science fiction going on in this film, and I think the writers did an excellent job of conveying it in an understandable manner.  The caveat is that you have to be willing to suspend your disbelief a lot with this story, as the moment you start poking at plot elements the entire movie falls apart.  The movie also ends on a really unnecessary epilogue that muddles what was otherwise a rather well-done ending.  It's problematic when this movie is built on a very well-established list of rules, and then the writers throw all those rules right out the door in literally the final minute.  Still, I really recommend this movie.  It's artsy without being pretentious, something quite a few movies could learn from.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 09:12:06 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: April 30, 2011, 01:55:08 AM »
Thor:  Very good watch.  Pretty much what one would expect from the Marvel movies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: April 30, 2011, 03:05:42 AM »
Thor:  Very good watch.  Pretty much what one would expect from the Marvel movies.

I have free pases to watch this one tomorrow morning. You impression raises my anticipation level from "flat" to "slightly peaked".

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: April 30, 2011, 03:11:19 AM »
You must of course stay till after the credits.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: April 30, 2011, 03:29:36 AM »
You must of course stay till after the credits.
That is the Marvel way. Are the credits atleast interesting?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: April 30, 2011, 05:03:10 AM »
I'll put it this way.  Take your 3DS.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #2257 on: May 01, 2011, 12:58:45 AM »
Rio - Very lyrical and colorful. Surprisingly charming and funny as well. 9/10
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: May 01, 2011, 12:59:17 AM »
Thor - 8/10

Thor was good. Much better than I expected. I almost got pissed at the "extra" after the credit until I realized that that wasn't the actual extra at the end. I'm talking about the part where is said "Thor will be back in The Avengers".

I have to say though that the 3D was **** and it's obvious that it was an after thought as not every scene was even in 3D. I would have much preferred it in not 3D, but whatever. Movie was still a good watch.

regarding the extra at the end
was that cube a piece of the portal energy bridge? My first thought was an energon cube (lol), but that's Transformers. Also was Loki possessing that guy or just influencing him from an alternate dimension?

Fast Five - 7.9/10

I don't know where this fits in the timeline for the "story" but it appears that Tokyo Drift takes place after this movie. The chase scene in this was intense though. To hell with the realism of it all, I was in to it and level of disbelief was intact. I wasn't feeling The Rocks goatee and I also think a few of his lines could have been a little wittier, but this movie was interesting from beginning to end.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2259 on: May 01, 2011, 08:36:19 PM »
Red Planet - Better than I expected

Remember Red Planet? Batman, Trinity, Tom Sizemore, and Martian bugs? Yeah, that movie. Good for some laughs, especially when Sizemore (a geneticist in the film) gets the four amino acids of DNA wrong.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline gregmde7

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: May 02, 2011, 11:49:42 PM »
Unagi, i also loved Drag Me To Hell - I have seen it like 10 times on showtime, lol.

I give it a 8.5, I think it was a good horror flick.

I'm actually watching "Orphan" right now. I think I have seen it before, but so far I give it a 6 - it's pretty predictable. They adopt this girl and she is basically a little psycho - definitely can already tell what's going to happen.

Black Ops: 2319-6631-5801
wealthy affiliate | worldwide brands

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: May 03, 2011, 12:54:38 AM »
You should check out "The Orphanage". A much, much better film.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: May 03, 2011, 09:58:40 AM »
Could a 3 year old see Thor?  He's seen Ironman, wasn't very interested, and watched different cartoons.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: May 03, 2011, 10:10:10 AM »
Yes. Thor is appropriate for anyone who you feel is capable of watching Ironman.

There is some violence, but it's nothing over the top. In fact, it could use some more violence if you ask me.

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: May 04, 2011, 05:04:41 AM »
I also love Drag Me To Hell. Just throwin that out there.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: May 04, 2011, 08:02:47 AM »
Drag Me to Hell was pretty fun for what it was: an Evil Dead 2 clone. :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: May 04, 2011, 08:44:35 PM »
Orphan rocked my socks, i knew what was going to happen...Batman plotline, but that little girls acting is phenomenal.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kallis

• View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: May 06, 2011, 07:02:21 AM »
Hello there , I have the worth watching movie of  The Boy With The Striped Pyjamas.As some other member also gave the comments about this movie.Its a very nice movie hanging on to passion and classic story .

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: May 08, 2011, 05:38:59 PM »
Rambo
I bought Rambo (2008 film, the series has the most messed up naming structure) on Blu-Ray for like $8 yesterday. I haven't seen this since it first came out in theatres. It won't win any acting awards, but it got the job done. There was so much mayhem in this movie and that was all I wanted. Making the villain a pedophile was perhaps unnecessary. I mean, do audiences need any more reason to hate him? He's the head of a military regime that rapes women, kills children, and kidnaps teenage boys and forces them to become soldiers. I guess I just didn't see the point but it is what it is. The movie wasn't really about that. It was about the atrocities in Burma and the justification of trying to change the world despite mouting odds. It was also about mayhem and chaos and there's more than enough of that.

Charlie Bartlett
I really enjoyed this even if the message of alienated teens was so blatant. I felt like the filmmakers didn't trust audiences enough to figure that out on their own. Robert Downey Jr. is just an incredible actor and Hope Davis is horribly underrated. I'm glad Kat Dennings was covered up for the most part. We all know she has huge boobs and that's great and everything, but it wouldn't have matched her character or the purpose of the movie (despite some minor nudity). I have to give the director credit for not trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. This is a movie about teens, but not a teen movie.

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: May 14, 2011, 08:48:10 PM »
The Evil Dead: You are so fucking stupid that you deserved to become zombie/monsters/10

I really enjoyed it, because it was a nice way to relax after all my AP Tests. Extremely over the top, but that's what I expected going into it, so it wasn't that surprising.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: May 14, 2011, 11:07:51 PM »
Now you need to go download the Evil Dead Trilogy fanedit, that combines all three films into one long, seamless experience! :)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: May 14, 2011, 11:18:58 PM »
In a bit of an amusing stroke of luck, remember when I picked up that Blu-Ray copy of the first Eden of the East movie about a month ago?  I got a phone call the other day, and it turns out that the moron who was running the store that day never recorded that I picked up my pre-order.  So I ended up with $22 in credit I could use on whatever I want.  My first 3 choices not being available (The Girl Who Leapt through Time, Sherlock Holmes, and The Incredible Hulk Blu-Rays), I ended up picking up the Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl Blu-Ray (which is a movie I've been meaning to pick up on its own, but haven't cared enough to get until now), which is what I am watching now and am nearing the end of.

I haven't seen this film in a few years and the transfer is darker than I remember the film being, but the picture quality is perfect and I have no complaints about the extras.  As for the movie itself, as far as I'm concerned this is the only Pirates film currently in existence (at least until I see the one that's releasing later this month).  The two sequels that "allegedly" exist were total crap IMO, but this movie was and is great.  It's (mostly) well-paced, well-acted, the special effects still look very good, the story is well-written for a summer blockbuster, and the movie (and Blu-Ray) pays just the right amount of homage to the original ride.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 11:21:37 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: May 15, 2011, 01:15:25 PM »
Now you need to go download the Evil Dead Trilogy fanedit, that combines all three films into one long, seamless experience! :)

Is it worth taking the time to watch the two sequels before watching the fanedit? I would assume so, so I actually understand what's going on.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: May 15, 2011, 03:30:50 PM »
The films each have their own charm as stand alone entities. Heck, they're even different genres (Horror, Slapstick, Action/Adventure). The fanedit really only takes out the recaps and credits however. The films already run into one another pretty well.

Army of Darkness is one of the greatest films ever made though. You might want to digest it on its own before sitting through a marathon fanedit. ;)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: May 15, 2011, 03:46:04 PM »
I watched Army of Darkness when I was like 10 at my friend's house, and his older brother and friend were drinking Goldschlager. Almost right at the second when it was the pit scene where the blood was spraying straight up into the air, his friend tilted his head back and projectile vomited a good 2 feet or so straight up, just like in the movie. It was pretty awesome.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA