Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553323 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2150 on: March 23, 2011, 12:26:13 PM »
Insurrection is 3rd worse and is lucky not to get any lower due to the sheer number of groan inducing line of humour. It's full of shoehorned, boring, convoluted "Action". Making this a 2 part episode would have been a stretch given how weak the script is. It has barely enough bone to fill one episode, let alone any meat. I would elevate this to 4th worse above the wasted opportunity that was Generations if they had enough guts to give Picard hair.

I can not fault Jonathan Frakes for this movie. He gave us First Contact and he is a proven director. I don't believe anyone could have saved this without throwing the entire movie out the window.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: March 23, 2011, 03:06:27 PM »
I Spit On Your Grave (2010) - Better than I expected

It starts off really similar to the original and then takes loses the cheese factor and gets a little more gruesome than I remember the original being, might have also changed a little bit of the offending cast, but I can say it is not a shot for shot type of remake. At times the main chick made me think "that's what I imagined Kristen Stewart would have looked like if she didn't get.... unattractive". Also the gay guy from Mean Girls was in this movie too. I enjoyed it... more so because I think my girl is turned on by socially unacceptable movies (that's partially why I keep on watching them), but it was pretty good for what it was.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: March 23, 2011, 07:45:34 PM »
All-Star Superman - Well that's about 1.5 hrs of my life I will be billing WB/DC Animations for.

Lame. there really isn't much more to say about it and I think someone else pretty much covered it in this thread already. I won't waste anymore breath on it.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: March 23, 2011, 08:19:50 PM »
All-Star Superman - Well that's about 1.5 hrs of my life I will be billing WB/DC Animations for.

Lame. there really isn't much more to say about it and I think someone else pretty much covered it in this thread already. I won't waste anymore breath on it.

Well, you can't say I didn't already warn you about it.  Did you see the same problem that I did: the issue wasn't with the individual stories of the movie but how they're all rushedly mashed together?  This should have been 2-3 movies, not one.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: March 23, 2011, 10:01:41 PM »
I could have done without certain elements of a few stories.

The WHOLE sun thing (sun poisoner, sun eater and sun unpoisoning), Luther having anything to do with it (knowing Superman could take a lethal overdose of yellow sun radiation was a stretch as it was, knowing an creature from somewhere so far out into space that you would have never known it existed, and then having a way to communicate with it and having something that it wants is beyond the limit of disbelief I was willing to lend towards this "movie"), and a loyal robot being able to betray and then redeem it's self through sacrifice when no one had any access to it in the first place. I thought no one, including the robots could get in or out of the fortress since they would need a key that only the 4X stronger SUPER Radiated Superman was able to lift, but I might have over assumed that point even though he made a point of being 4x stronger and now only he can lift the key. I'm still not sure why Jimmy Olsens watch signal would cause the female Krypotian to fall ill immediately and the other male Kryptonian to fall ill afterwards yet Superman was still alive and healthy or why The Phantom Zone was a sick free zone and why Superman wouldn't go there himself if it could prevent him from dying. How would LL get the syrum when it was made specifically for Lois Lane's DNA and no one at the prison could have delivered it for his last request. I also didn't care for the overly sappy love story behind all of it. I almost turned it off when Lois got all paranoid in the fortress, but then they explained it on side effects and what not, so I kept watching... but i should have turned it off and just assumed that was the worst of it. I didn't even get into Samson and his buddy.

there are you happy, now I've wasted more breath on it :P:
It was overall very uninteresting, very rushed and shouldn't have been made.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: March 24, 2011, 12:30:30 AM »
Paul

I'd give it the same score as EC did, but I was severely disappointed. Considering it's from the same people that made Shaun of the Dead with Seth Rogen, I was expecting at least Hot Fuzz level of funny. Instead, I got a kinda funny, satirical version of E.T.

I only laughed twice. Once when the agent yelled "MOTHER FUCKING TITTY SUCKING SON OF A BITCH!" and when someone was dying "I really liked this shirt."

That's it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: March 24, 2011, 12:34:50 AM »
I finished-up Back to the Future Part 3 earlier today.  I've already given my opinion on the movie, so I'll just focus on the Blu-Ray.  As I expected, being the newest of the 3 movies it also has the best transfer.  There are some minor issues when the Hoverboard is on-screen, but overall the movie looks quite lovely with all the warm colors and clear details.  This movie got one new documentary that's as flimsy as the one for Part 2, but there's one last documentary looking at the Trilogy as a whole that works nicely enough.  It even briefly looks at the Back to the Future ride (all the footage of which is also on the Blu-Ray, with the ride footage composited behind an animated version of the ride's dashboard, to simulate the feel of the ride), though oddly enough does not even mention the then-upcoming Telltale game.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: March 24, 2011, 02:22:40 AM »
Insurrection is 3rd worse and is lucky not to get any lower due to the sheer number of groan inducing line of humour. It's full of shoehorned, boring, convoluted "Action". Making this a 2 part episode would have been a stretch given how weak the script is. It has barely enough bone to fill one episode, let alone any meat. I would elevate this to 4th worse above the wasted opportunity that was Generations if they had enough guts to give Picard hair.

I can not fault Jonathan Frakes for this movie. He gave us First Contact and he is a proven director. I don't believe anyone could have saved this without throwing the entire movie out the window.

Insurrection is terrible, but to its credit it at least feels like a Star Trek product.  Watching Nemesis was just such a bizarre experience.  It's one of the few movies where I've felt compelled in the theater to say something to the movie ("Well so much for the Prime Directive!" at the idiotic Dune Buggy scene).  Usually, I reserve the commentary for the DVD or Blu-Ray.  Then you have the oh-so-subtle half-assed rip-off of Wrath of Khan and...yeah...terrible movie.  It's a pity that Nemesis torpedoed the Star Trek franchise as much as it did, as I would have liked to see them do something with Enterprise outside of the TV series.  And then we got the new movie, which looks like such a different experience than Star Trek that I still can't bring myself to check it out.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: March 24, 2011, 05:12:56 AM »
Nemesis got me shouting in the theater "Motherfuckers killed Data!". A much of a low blow as it was, it elected a far stronger emotional response than Insurrection or Generations. It contained numerous cool scenes and some well done stunts. It had the actors chewing scenery. A lot of the themes were pretty Star Treky with both Picard and Data facing their darker/inferior selves. The script was far closer to Undiscovered Country than WOK, but had blended elements from both.

The problem was the Director, Stuart Baird, who is normally a pretty good editor, but as far as I could tell had not director experience and in the commentary was Proud over knowing nothing about Star Trek. It had a far better script than Generations or Insurrection and had if being given to a director who gave a damn, TNG could have gotten it swan song it deserved.

I feel Nemesis gets judged overly harsh as it followed Insurrection which lost a lot of good will and quite frankly by that time Star Trek had gotten tired. While Enterprise was the nail in the coffin, you can blame the state of Star Trek on the people who conceived and crashed Voyager, so you can blame Star Treks demise on Janeway. Even Kate Mulgrew felt her character had gone insane and played her as such.

TNG only came away with one excellent film, First Contact. Everything else ranged from Mediocre (Nemesis) to Terrible (Insurrection).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: March 24, 2011, 09:14:52 AM »
Nicholas Meyer knew nothing about Star Trek when he was hired to make Wrath of Khan, but he had the sense to go back and watch it before making the movie.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2160 on: March 24, 2011, 12:29:03 PM »
Legion 7/10 pretty entertaining
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: March 27, 2011, 02:44:32 PM »
Ahhh!!! Zombies!!! - 6/10

The original premise for this movie is kinda funny and the first 30 minutes or so handled it well, but then it just got really cheesy as they had to progress the story and have some sort of ending. The idea behind this movie is that we see the stuff from the perspective of the zombies, only the zombies don't know that they are zombies, they think everyone else is infected with something. It's a decent watch if you're looking for a different kind of zombie flick and you're into B-movies that don't have million dollar budgets. I just ran across this last nite as I was looking for something to stream on Netflix Instant watch.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: March 27, 2011, 02:56:38 PM »
Hall Pass - 7.5/10
After seeing Steven Merchant on Conan show a clip, I changed all of my pre-conceptions about this film and went to see it with my wife last night. It was actually quite hilarious and pretty original compared to many comedies from the last several years. It's not a chick flick by any means, but it should be enjoyable for women (my wife liked it), also it shows a black dude's shlong, so that's always win-win.

Paranormal Activity - 7/10
Pretty creepy movie, I watched it on Netflix with the "theatrical ending" I believe, which was actually kind of stupid, but the rest of the movie was freaky as Hell.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: March 28, 2011, 12:22:02 PM »
I feel Nemesis gets judged overly harsh as it followed Insurrection which lost a lot of good will and quite frankly by that time Star Trek had gotten tired. While Enterprise was the nail in the coffin, you can blame the state of Star Trek on the people who conceived and crashed Voyager, so you can blame Star Treks demise on Janeway. Even Kate Mulgrew felt her character had gone insane and played her as such.

Nemesis was more of a Star Trek film that that latest crap from JJ Abrams, at least. :P

I liked Voyager all the way through. It had its problems, but was pretty consistent. Sure, the characters started out cheesy, but so did TNG. Really, the only issues I have with Voyager when looking back on it are twofold: Janeway knew everything. She was a jack-of-all-trades, instead of relying on her crew as other captains would have. Also, they kind of watered down the Borg by the end of the series. There were some pretty awesome Borg episodes, but they were practically declawed after so many loosing encounters with Voyager.

For me, I felt Star Trek started to slip towards the end of Deep Space Nine. I always felt that the characters and situations were a little dull on that series, but the last two or three seasons were ridiculously boring. Far-reaching war story arch? Switching out Dax at the last second? Going hogwild with Sisko's whacky cult status? Turning Dukat into Satan-incarnate? ...Yeah.

Likewise, I thought Enterprise was good until they again introduced a serialized war story. It immediately became boring at that point. I could complain about the inconsistencies in continuity, but the "temporal cold war" explains that away easily enough, I suppose.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: March 28, 2011, 02:05:47 PM »
Has anyone seen Sucker Punch yet? I'm seriously debating going to see it in IMAX 3D, but I do not want to be disappointed. I don't mind if the story takes a backseat to the draw dropping visuals (the reason I would go in the first place), but I don't want to be bored before and after each action sequence.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: March 28, 2011, 02:18:19 PM »
reviews have been pretty rotten, but according to the previews, it looks like my type of movie.
But no, I haven't seen it yet, although it has been on my Netflix list since atleast 6 months ago

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: March 29, 2011, 05:09:46 AM »
The final season of DS9 did slip up, but it was a given considering how fantastic the previous seasons were, I doubt they could keep up with themselves. The writes had no choice regarding Dax. Terry wanted out and they couldn't convince her otherwise. What the real tragedy to that story is that she left DS9 for Becker and DS9 couldn't use her even in flashbacks! Unlike Babylon 5 which was almost single handedly written by J. Michael Straczynski, he planned an "Out" for each and every character and also an "In" for a possible return, so no one person were ever indispensable or completely expendable.

JJ Trek really falls over on repeated viewings. It has plot holes large enough to shove a planet through. The fucking lights makes me feel like Picard in the episode with the four lights. Camera SHAKE! Terrible villain. Most of the movie had more similarities to Mission Impossible 3 than Star Trek.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: March 29, 2011, 06:56:08 AM »
I thought DS9 did a great job of tying things up at the end, way better than most shows. Jadzia leaving sucked, but as you said, there was nothing they could do, and bringing in Ezri worked a hell of a lot better than I expected it to.

My one real issue with the DS9 finale is Sisko's ending. Unless I'm remembering wrong, it said he wouldn't be with the Prophets forever and that he would be back, but if that's true he should have been back immediately given that they exist outside of linear time. He could spend all the time he needed with them, and then they could put him back in his office on the station five minutes after he left.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: March 29, 2011, 12:49:07 PM »
yeah, i always wanted to get into Babylon 5.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: March 29, 2011, 03:57:53 PM »
District B13 and B13 U

8/10

Both movies feature some awesome Parkour, but may favorite scenes always revolved in someway someone being slammed into the ground from a story high. Both plots are of the decent, nothing special affair. But they get the job done. All in all pretty entertaining martial arts movies.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: March 29, 2011, 06:03:21 PM »
The writes had no choice regarding Dax. Terry wanted out and they couldn't convince her otherwise.

Oh, I know. I don't fault them for getting rid of Jadzia. It was clearly beyond their control. I think they should have let the character rest however, instead of immediately introducing Ezri. I thought that Ezri was actually pretty interesting, but she wasn't given enough time due to the show itself coming to an end. Besides, it seemed a little weird that the Symbiosis Commission would have allowed Ezri to go right back to DS9 to work. It seems like it would have been toeing the line on living a new, unique life.

Most of [JJ Abram's Star Trek] had more similarities to Mission Impossible 3 than Star Trek.

That's kind of ironic, given that Brannon Braga was one of the primary writers for Mission Impossible 2.

For me, Abram's Star Trek was just too generic. It was all action and flashy effects with practically no substance. It also had one of the weakest villains I've ever seen in any film, Star Trek or otherwise. The only real plus I can think of is that it had Leonard Nimoy in it, and that the Klingons looked pretty damn awesome in the deleted scenes.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: March 29, 2011, 06:04:29 PM »
yeah, i always wanted to get into Babylon 5.

It's a decent show, but honestly if you're looking for that kind of show I'd just stick with Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.  My best friend had me see the entirety of Babylon 5, and honestly it's not that great.  The CG's aged extremely poorly (at the time, DS9 was still using models), the acting is often pretty campy, the sets and costumes/makeup are somewhat weak, and the writing's kind of goofy at times (example: "What's going on here?" "BOOM!  BOOM!  BOOM!BOOM!BOOM!").  I give the show credit for having story arcs that span multiple seasons, but oftentimes I didn't find the resolution of those arcs that satisfying.  There are also visible seams in the show where you can see that something didn't go according to plan (like the original head of the station leaving the show after season 1 or the show getting an extra season that wasn't planned for), and the writing doesn't quite make it work.

I picked up Evangelion 2.22 today and my Star Trek Motion Picture Collection arrived yesterday.  I've been watching the "Captain's Summit" roundtable interview and it's pretty cool.  It's just William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frankes, and Whoopie Goldberg sitting around shooting the breeze.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:06:31 PM by broodwars »

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: March 29, 2011, 08:34:39 PM »
That roundtable sounds great ^

I'm still trying to figure out why the Romulans in the last 2 ST movies are bald tattooed guys in leather. That really broke the believability for me.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: March 29, 2011, 08:54:35 PM »
TI'm still trying to figure out why the Romulans in the last 2 ST movies are bald tattooed guys in leather. That really broke the believability for me.

They've only been that way in JJ Abrams' film.

Perhaps you've confused the Reman from Nemesis with the Romulans?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: March 29, 2011, 09:00:12 PM »
They all look the same to me.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.