Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553228 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2125 on: March 13, 2011, 07:14:30 PM »
Did she (Christina Ricci) gain all her weight back? Because she's effing skinny now. Has been ever since Black Snake Moan. Remember when she had meat on her bones? She was sooooo hawt.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: March 13, 2011, 11:07:30 PM »
Sorry but dead chicks just doesn't do anything for me.  :-\
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: March 13, 2011, 11:25:41 PM »
She is just laying on a table.... that's from the first 20 minutes of the movie.

Here is a pic from twice as far into the movie.

It's up on Netflix Instant Watch, for those wondering where I'm getting the screen shots from.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: March 14, 2011, 03:58:05 AM »
Devil. The first of the Night Chronicles written and produced by M. Knight Shyamalan. First decent movie he has done in awhile. Three Stars

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: March 14, 2011, 01:17:23 PM »
Devil 7.8/10 pretty good people stuck in an elevator movie

Blackout 6.5/10 pretty decent people stuck in an elevator movie

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: March 14, 2011, 01:29:54 PM »
I hated Devil. That movie blew. The SHYAMALAN twist sucked.

I think I know why Avatar sucked. It was because he was focused on making this as well.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: March 16, 2011, 01:46:46 AM »
Battle: LA 9/10

I was very surprised at how much I liked this movie, considering I thought it would blow hard; and I'm not even sure why. The action was pretty fucking good and the whole film was surprisingly emotional which gave it a bonus point because it wasn't all about the action.

I wouldn't say it's a day one dvd purchase, but it's definitely a purchase.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: March 16, 2011, 02:21:05 AM »
Theres a lot of negative press on Battle: LA, I think sure the plot is pretty Cliché, but **** it. I enjoyed it, and I want to see sequels!!!! I suppose the biggest complaint is you see a lot of people shooting at nothing and getting shot at by nothing, well its an alien invasion movie critics. The less you see of the aliens the better. Use your imagination. Also, I think it helps to have seen Black Hawk Down, which i saw right before suddenly there were previews for this movie everywhere. Very clever whoever set that up.

Offline RagnaBlade

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: March 16, 2011, 11:59:52 AM »
The King's Speech was excellent. 10!
Sand will cover this place. Sand will cover you.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: March 17, 2011, 12:26:15 PM »
Women in Trouble: 8/10
Should've been called Women in Bras. Good movie that showed a few different stories about different women struggling through different life situations (pregnancy, cheating husband, forbidden love, and estranged (sort of) daughter). All of the women except one, including Adrienne Palicki (sp?), Carla Gugino, and the girl from Entourage who plays Eric's girlfriend, ended up in their bras. Sounds generic and purely sexual and I only watched because Carla Gugino was in it, and I was wondering why an actress of her caliber would do such a movie, but it turned out to be a good movie. It was very well acted, and the stories were all authentic, relatable (made so by the acting), and touching. The bra'd up boobs were icing on a what was already a pretty good cake.

War Don Don: 8.8/10
HBO documentary about the atrocities that took place in Sierra Leon from 1991-2002 and the trials that took place afterwards. The best thing about this documentary is that they interviewed the defense lawyers, the prosecutors, some key witnesses, and one of the highest ranked accused commanders of the RUF. I'm not going to get into the issues, but I definitely see those issues in a new light because of this documentary.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: March 20, 2011, 12:50:36 AM »
I'm currently in the middle of a movie theater marathon. About to start movie #3.

#1: Battle Los Angeles -i enjoyed it and look forward to a sequel if they make one. Battle Tokyo anyone? I'd give it a 8/10. I had to minus half a Point for a stupid decision made by a commanding officer get on the freeway!? Really. Any idiot would know not to do that, especially on an LA freeway.

#2: Limitless - I would kill for some of what he's taking. To hell with the side effects. Decent movie overall. About a 7.5/10; the endless zoom fx they kept using was really trying to make me sick though.

#3: Red Riding Hood - I'll let you know when its over. Its about to start any minute now.
I wasn't sure what to expect from this movie, but it turned into to whodunit clue murder mystery pretty damn quick. I was really hoping that this movie would be one of those that tries to blatantly mislead you the entire time only to have it be the most obvious person that you were hoping it would be. I'm obviously not gonna say if this movie was that or not, but lets just say that it was better than expected and pretty enjoyable overall. Kinda a love story, but much more murder mystery monster movie stuffed into the dressing of an old fairy tale for name recognitions sake. They actually really tried to sell this as a new spin on Red Riding Hood and even threw in a few direct references to the fairytale story, actually forced in would be more appropriate in some cases.  Now that I'm thinking about it, it's quite obvious that the original concept of this movie had nothing to do with the title and the connection was for nothing more than name recognition. But over all it was a decent werewolf movie.
My main gripe, besides the shoe horning of Red Riding Hood story lines into the movie, was the fact that a bunch of villagers would leave town to hunt down a wolf that came to them on any night that they left a sacrifice out for it. Why go to him when he already comes to you? ou already have the advantage of home turf and surprise attack. stupid villagers.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 04:10:56 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: March 20, 2011, 12:54:01 AM »
i haven't seen limitless yet, but id give the trailer a 9/10

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: March 20, 2011, 03:28:42 PM »
Tales from Earthsea - I'm not the biggest fan of either Gibli or Miyazaki.  Sure, they've made films I've enjoyed, some I've ever loved (Porco Rosso, Kiki's Delivery Service).  However, over time I've grown to dislike Hayao Miyazaki's work since his movies are so predictable in setup once you understand a few things about him:

1.  He hates technology.
2.  He loves nature.
3.  He loves flight.

As a result, his movies often becomes monotonous and increasingly tedious animated lectures on how MAN now longer "lives in balance with nature" since, you know, we have the audacity to advance technologically.  The "Walt Disney of Japan", indeed.   ::)

This is the first movie directed by Miyazaki's son Goro and if there's one good thing I can say about it, it's that he doesn't sink into the pro-environmental rants his father does.  That still doesn't make this movie "good", but at least I don't feel like the director is using the movie as a platform to rant at me.  This movie's a narrative mess, a combination of bits and pieces of the first 4 Earthsea novels.  The characters aren't very likeable, especially the "main" character (and I use that term loosly) as he just spends nearly the entire movie in Emo mode moping.  The villain...exists, but it's astonishing how both he and the men he commands are so incredibly dim.  The plotting and pacing of the movie is pretty poor and full of nonsensical plot twists and holes, taking far too long for any of the protagonists to take notable action and making the movie hard to sit through.  The animation is decent, though there aren't any particular moments in the movie where it stands out.  There's some pretty decent Celtic music, though.

On a final note, I see that Gibli is still woefully incapable of drawing any more than the 3-4 male and female designs they've been using since Nausicaa (their first movie).  Before this movie, I thought perhaps that was just a Hayao Miyazaki thing.  Gibli really needs to get a new character designer, because this is just embarassing now.

Overall, Tales from Earthsea isn't "terrible", but it's just filled with problems and not a terribly interesting movie once you look past the meta story of the son trying to live up to his legendary father.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 03:30:58 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: March 20, 2011, 05:00:36 PM »
The Last Exorcism 8.5/10 I think I forgot to rate this when I watched it, but this was pretty awesome. I watched it 2.5 times so I got a pretty good look at it.

Piranah 3D 7/10 Entertaining, i wish i saw it in 3d
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 05:03:42 PM by ThePerm »

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: March 20, 2011, 06:41:27 PM »
MacGruber: 8.7/10
Extremely funny movie that I liked despite never having seen the SNL skit. I honestly think like 98% of the jokes actually made me laugh. But even though I've never seen the skit before, the movie still had the feeling of being done before.

Old Dogs: 8/10
Pretty funny movie that suffered only from one terrible CGI scene. I avoided watching this because I assumed it was a  typical 'I discover I'm a parent comedy' but it was made original by the bromance between Robin Williams and John Travolta, and their over arching story.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: March 20, 2011, 06:46:34 PM »
haha MacGruber, i remember watching that and old people walking out. Made the movie 2000% better.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: March 21, 2011, 11:04:53 AM »
LIMITLESS 7/10

Pretty good movie that reminds me of the first time I did molly hahaha. Seriously though I was sharp, focused, and had the exemplary ability to deduct. But onto the movie, I feel like it kinda withered out with no real enemy and no real ultimate goal. The main problem was that he was addicted and couldn't find more. That's it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: March 23, 2011, 01:56:55 AM »
Paul: 7/10

Better than I thought. It was a cute movie, not drop dead hilarious but funnier than I expected it to be. There were a few people in the audience who annoyed me, which took me out of the movie; the type that think anything shown in the trailers is comedy gold and laugh the hardest, yet miss some subtle stuff which to me is gold. I end up laughing at some stuff and being the only one laughing making me feel like an idiot. (Jane Lynch insinuating using sex toys was funny dammit!)

For being the title character, Seth Rogen didn't really shine much. He has such a distinct and animated tone yet as an animated character, he felt a little dull. Nick Frost and Simon Peg didn't do much for me either, and their "bromance" was a little annoying. Christen Wiig was ace though, and I was getting tired of seeing her quirky ass on screen so that's saying something.

All in all, this movie was just a little better than average.

Oh and the best part of the movie, by far, was this one specific bar scene. Not because it was funny, but the reaction from 3 guys in the audience - from completely different sides of the theater - were priceless. If you see it, you'll be able to tell who the real nerds are. If you don't notice, you're either not that nerdy to get the reference (good for you!) or you probably are the nerd and way too busy laughing to realize you're the only one.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 02:05:16 AM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: March 23, 2011, 02:26:02 AM »
I've been playing a lot of games lately, and to be honest I'm kind of burned out at the moment so it seemed like a good time to catch up on my video backlog a bit.  That said, I picked up the Blu-Ray of the Back to the Future Trilogy last year, but I only ever got around to rewatching the first movie.  Now that I have a little free time, now seemed as good a time as any to rewatch my favorite movie in the trilogy: Back to the Future Part 2.  Yeah, it's a bit of the Black Sheep of the 3, something that's very much reflected both in the transfer and the number of new bonus features on the Blu-Ray (the first movie has 3 new documentaries detailing early concepts to box office returns, whereas the second film has one and it's pretty flimsy).  While never as well received as perhaps the other two movies (though I've seen some vocal opposition to Part 3, a movie I've warmed to over the years), I always found the ideas and ambition of the second movie the most interesting in the trilogy.

So how does the HD restoration of Part 2 look on my LCD TV?  Well, I thought the first movie looked fantastic, so utterly clear and vibrant you would think it was just filmed last year.  The second movie has not transitioned so well to HD.  Maybe it's the increase in special effects shots that is the main culprit.  You can clean a print as much as you like, but 1980s video compositing tricks (particularly on the Hoverboards, which up-close look just as fake as that compositing shot from the first movie with Marty and Doc standing in the middle of the flame trails) are just not going to hold up under the cruel scrutiny of the HD lens.  The movie also looks a little desaturated and dim/soft in some areas, though that could be just how the film was shot (or perhaps the masters have degraded worse than the first's).  For the most part, the film looks great, and like the first movie it also looks like it could have been filmed 2 years ago instead of over 20.  There is something to be said for the power of practical effects, so for the most part the movie still holds up quite well.  I do suspect, though, that the first movie got the lion's share of the restoration budget.

I'll be watching Back to the Future Part 3 probably tomorrow.  Also, I have to admit I splurged a little and scooped up a good deal on Amazon: $65 for the Blu-Ray set of the first 6 Star Trek movies.  I haven't seen any of these movies in at least a decade, so I'll be rewatching all 6 sometime in the next week or so.  And yes, that includes the first movie and Star Trek 5.  I want to see if maybe I can appreciate them a bit more now that I'm much older, or if they truly are utter garbage like I remember.  Sadly, the Next Generation movies Blu-Ray set has not seen the kind of discounts I've seen for the original 6, so those movies will have to be on the backburner for a while (yes, I know only Generations and especially First Contact were any good, but I like having all the movies).

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: March 23, 2011, 02:38:55 AM »
actually i thought the general consensus was that 2 was more liked than 3, or were you talking about as in terms of bonus features. I actually like them all pretty equally.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: March 23, 2011, 02:47:39 AM »
actually i thought the general consensus was that 2 was more liked than 3, or were you talking about as in terms of bonus features. I actually like them all pretty equally.

I've seen contrasting opinions on Part 2 and Part 3, but the view I've seen more is that Part 2 is "too dark" and "loses the spirit of the first movie."  Even Zemekis laments that it's the movie he wishes he could have spent more time on, when most of his attention was on Part 3 by the time Part 2 was wrapping up.  By contrast, people seem to view the 3rd movie as "going back to what made the first movie so good" and whatnot.  I'm guessing the big polarizing thing is that movies 1 and 3 are romantic comedies whereas movie 2 is a dark comedy, where the emphasis is on just how screwed-up and twisted things can become. 

Personally, I didn't like the 3rd movie so much as a kid.  I grew up in Utah, a state that's pretty much one big desert and assorted farm land.  I'm pretty much predisposed to hate Westerns, especially because of the lack of technology; dirt; and the color brown in general.  Over time, I've grown to appreciate the levity and balance that the 3rd movie brings to trilogy: the first movie focuses on Marty's parents, the second film on Marty himself, and the third film on the Doc.  So now while it's still my least-favorite movie in the trilogy, I like the third one just fine now.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 02:50:13 AM by broodwars »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: March 23, 2011, 10:04:56 AM »
Except for Wrath of Khan, the Star Trek movies aren't especially great looking on Bluray. They only fully remastered Star Trek II; they used a different method for the others. Still better than SD, but not that huge of an improvement. Also, they're the theatrical cuts, meaning the original lacks the changes from the DVD release that really improved it (by cutting certain things that didn't add anything and made the movie longer for no reason), Wrath of Khan doesn't have the scene with Scotty's nephew, and Undiscovered Country doesn't have a few small things they added to make the conspiracy plot easier to follow.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: March 23, 2011, 10:10:43 AM »
Am I the only person alive who liked Insurrection?  Granted, it could have been done as a two-part episode and all... but, overall, I felt it was a good story.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: March 23, 2011, 10:20:51 AM »
It's probably my third- or fourth-least favorite Trek movie, but it's a far cry from TMP and Final Frontier. It certainly had its moments, and I like that it came up with a new villain instead of rehashing someone we'd seen before.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: March 23, 2011, 12:11:01 PM »
In the Mood for Love - Very strong film.  Well worth watching if you are patient and enjoy character studies.  Ending suited the film perfectly.  My wife fell asleep early on but I'm glad I spent the time to watch the rest anyway.
8 out of 10

7 Samurai - Well-deserved classic status.  This movie hits all the right notes and is surprisingly watchable even today, despite being 3.5 hours long.  Anyone who hasn't watched it should; anyone who has should consider revisiting.
9 out of 10

Babel - My wife liked this movie more than I did, and was still thinking about the themes of communication and love and loss the next day.  I enjoyed the film and thought it was worth watching, but probably wouldn't care to watch it again.
7 out of 10

Barney: Let's Go to the Zoo - Well... it's Barney, and there are animals, and singing.  Not going to win any awards, but my baby girl danced and laughed so I guess this gets a passing grade.  Not really recommended for audiences over 5 though.
NNID: ejamer