Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553217 times)

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #1850 on: December 18, 2010, 06:28:26 PM »
And of course, Time Burton's piss-poor remake falls somewhere in the negative numbers on that list. ;)

It's been a long time since I read the book, but I recall the twist ending being a tad more accurate in the remake. Even still, it wasn't as impactful, and certainly not as iconic as the blown-apart Statue of Liberty. :)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1851 on: December 18, 2010, 06:33:05 PM »
Same thing with Burton's other re-make. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory may have been more faithful to the book than Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, but it sucked.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: December 18, 2010, 07:03:29 PM »
Both of those go to show that you shouldn't remake great movies.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 07:05:17 PM by insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: December 18, 2010, 07:19:04 PM »
Same thing with Burton's other re-make. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory may have been more faithful to the book than Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, but it sucked.

I sometimes wonder just what happened to Time Burton... He started out making such creative, visually striking films, but now only makes absolute garbage.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1854 on: December 18, 2010, 08:30:27 PM »
It's because he's started placing visual design on a higher pedastal than story or writing. I think his last good film was Sleepy Hollow, which balanced both.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: December 18, 2010, 08:33:31 PM »
Family Guy: It's a Trap! - I had a chance to see this a few days in advance and Good Lord, this "movie" is terrible.  It suffers from a combination of the worst problems of the previous Star Wars spoof specials and the show in general.  It's just not funny, and it's frequently little more than Return of the Jedi with slightly different dialogue.  It's just not funny, alternating between Lowest Common Denominator-style fart jokes and jokes that could have been funny but just get stretched out for 10x longer than they needed to be.  And as usual, a great deal of the "humor" is just completely random.  The special isn't entirely without redeeming moments (the mockery of Jedi's Special Edition additions was hilarious), but there's way too little time spent poking fun at the original movie itself and way too much time spent on just random crap.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1856 on: December 18, 2010, 08:49:20 PM »
I think you just descibed the first two movies, too.

I mean, I really liked Blue Harvest, and I mostly liked Revenge. I'm looking forward to this new one just because I liked the first two, but...I don't know if they should parody the new trilogy.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1857 on: December 18, 2010, 08:57:27 PM »
I question calling them movies, they are just hour long episodes. A lot of shows have done longer than normal episodes. But anyways, I will probably rent the DVD through Netflix since the episode won't air on TV until May.

Hal, what is that "Revenge" episode you are referring to? I couldn't find any episode with that name. Are you referring to the second Star Wars parody "Something, Something, Something, Dark Side"?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 09:01:25 PM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1858 on: December 18, 2010, 09:19:21 PM »
Yup, brain fart.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1859 on: December 18, 2010, 10:04:29 PM »
No problem, I was just confused and thought maybe I missed something.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1860 on: December 19, 2010, 04:08:58 AM »
I also have a drinking problem.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: December 19, 2010, 05:59:18 PM »
maybe the third starwars spoof is supposed to be the worst in the way the third star wars chapter was the worst(although its not really bad at all)
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: December 19, 2010, 08:22:35 PM »
maybe the third starwars spoof is supposed to be the worst in the way the third star wars chapter was the worst(although its not really bad at all)

Only of the original trilogy...

If that's the case, all of the prequel spoofs will be unwatchable! :P

It's because he's started placing visual design on a higher pedastal than story or writing. I think his last good film was Sleepy Hollow, which balanced both.

Agreed, with the exception of Big Fish... I did enjoy that one.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 08:24:14 PM by Morari »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: December 21, 2010, 03:28:37 PM »
Went to see Tron: Legacy on a massive 3D screen.

First, the movie.  I've heard people bombing the plot and saying that the movie isn't worth watching.  Tron: Legacy won't change your world, but it's nowhere near as bad as the haters are making it out to be.  A simple movie that follows all the expected conventions, Tron never exceeds expectations but doesn't really fall below them either.  The acting has me a bit baffled... it's almost bad enough to have that wink-and-nod type of effect, with Quorra's over-expressive eyes and snug smiles and the Big L ready to take a puff of virtual smoke, but just serious enough that I think kids will overlook some of the subtle (hopefully intentional) jokes and references for adults.

Second, comments on 3D in general.  Having been exposed to 3D content (games and movies) several times this year, I sincerely hope this is a fad and not something about to become an accepted standard.  There are rare cases where it's cool and novel, but expecting me to watch TV and play games and go to movies that are all pushing 3D content isn't reasonable.  The cost simply isn't justified... and the more I see the less interested I am in seeing more.  At this point my interest for 3DS couldn't be lower.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: December 21, 2010, 03:53:50 PM »
I've been trying to find time to go see Tron: Legacy. It's not often that I go out to the theatre, but I'm a huge fan of the original film. I just hope that the emphasis on CGI and 3D hasn't diluted the long-awaited sequel. I may end up still thinking of Tron 2.0 as the real sequel... who knows. :P

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: December 21, 2010, 09:27:39 PM »
i think Tron legacy will probably please me on a fanboy level when i go to watch it

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1866 on: December 21, 2010, 09:53:50 PM »
From the reviews i've read, the movie has good special effects but the story is lackluster. However, that was pretty much the same with the first movie. I have zero interest in it, but since I liked the original I will check the sequel out on Netflix in a couple of months.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1867 on: December 21, 2010, 10:27:54 PM »
The Other Guys: Awesome/10. I think Will Ferrall's at his best when he's not carrying the entire movie.

Grown Ups: Surprisingly good. Salma Hayek is in it but has obviously lost a ton of weight since having her kid (last time I saw her was on 30 Rock). Parts of it are very funny but some of the characters (like the...blonde guy) are dead weight.

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #1868 on: December 21, 2010, 10:29:36 PM »
Tron Legacy- 8/10
The story works and provides a good reason for the effects to happen. Just about every aspect of the film is a massive improvement over the original except for Tron himself. I would recomend that everyone who likes Tron, Cyberpunk or special effects should see it.
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: December 21, 2010, 10:58:26 PM »
Yeah I just got back from Tron: Legacy myself and I agree ejamer; not as bad as people are making it seem. I didn't have high expectations for this movie, and honestly I felt like there wasn't much hype for it so that helped me keep my expectations reasonable. I went in knowing it'd be a good on visuals and decent at best with plot, and thats what it was so I was content with it.

This second paragraph is where I would complain about the 3d being unnecessary or a waste of money but honestly, ever since I started making $6 Tuesdays my movie nights, I really can't complain. I honestly forgot the stupid thing was supposed to be in 3d, and it was okay but the movie was still visually pleasing. Yeah, the 3D was bad (in that it felt non-existant) but since I didn't feel forced to pay the surcharge, it just doesn't bother me, at all. Hell, I could of seen it in IMAX 3d for $7, you can't beat that price no matter how shitty the 3d was done!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: December 21, 2010, 11:28:39 PM »
I figure this is a good time to give the original Tron a once over.

An awkward movie. Visually a stunning movie when release date is taken into account. But honestly, that is pretty much all it has going for it.

The sound design was poor. The script forced and obsolete even back then. The acting was hammy. The editing was inconsistant, full of weird pauses as if it was trying to extend running time. The writers had no real idea how computers work or how to incorporate computer concepts into the story in a natural fashion. A dorky thrown in broken love triangle.

If it was released now, even with visual upgrades, it would have been ripped to pieces. As a complete movie, it's not that good, sub par even, but as a visual blockbuster and nothing else, it generally succeeds.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #1871 on: December 22, 2010, 12:46:15 AM »
The only reason Tron got a sequel is because the geeky adults of today were dorky kids when it released and they have rose tinted glasses when it comes to their memories of it. I had that with the Black Cauldron movie. Then I bought the VHS of it a number of years ago. Holy crap its the boring version of Dungeons and Dragons. Its like the Sword and the Stone only without any character, but with enough violence to earn the dreaded PG rating. Meh. I'm jaded and have no interest in the new Tron movie. What's next, a Black Hole sequel?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: December 23, 2010, 12:08:47 AM »
I saw the original Tron 1 day before they released the the second teaser trailer for the new one which is when the hype fest really started. Which means i got to experience the hype from a different perspective. I had been wanting to see the first one for a while, but hadnt gotten around to it. I give the movie an 8/10. It was decent, it was more style than substance. It was no original Matrix as far as story line. It was a Disney live action Movie, but a really good one.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: December 23, 2010, 12:25:36 AM »
I figure this is a good time to give the original Tron a once over.

An awkward movie. Visually a stunning movie when release date is taken into account. But honestly, that is pretty much all it has going for it.

The sound design was poor. The script forced and obsolete even back then. The acting was hammy. The editing was inconsistant, full of weird pauses as if it was trying to extend running time. The writers had no real idea how computers work or how to incorporate computer concepts into the story in a natural fashion. A dorky thrown in broken love triangle.

If it was released now, even with visual upgrades, it would have been ripped to pieces. As a complete movie, it's not that good, sub par even, but as a visual blockbuster and nothing else, it generally succeeds.

Yeah, I rewatched the original Tron as well last week, and I still don't like that movie.  Even setting aside the goofiness of 1980s computer imagery, that movie is boring and doesn't really make any sense if you think about it.  Not that you have any choice but to think about the movie's flaws, because it takes seemingly an eternity for anything to actually happen.  I can deal with further goofiness with Tron Legacy (when I get around to seeing it) so long as the movie is much more watchable than its predecessor, because the concept is cool (though already thoroughly explored by Reboot by now) and the style still looks good.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: December 27, 2010, 12:00:04 PM »
I finally got around to watching Tron Legacy last Saturday. I rarely see films in the theater, and I feel that overall Legacy was worth it.

The graphics were very well done, especially when competing against the original's hand done rotoscoping. The stylistic cues were updated and streamlined to be quite pleasing. CLU didn't look too out of place... there were only a few point where I couldn't not think CGI! Even then, it could be considered fitting, given that he is a compute prrogram. The 3D effects were just a gimmick, as always. They didn't add anything to the experience. It was an interesting choice to only use them while in the Grid however, forcing the real world to be 2D and flat. It reminded me of the use of color film in the Wizard of Oz, actually.

The music stood out as being very well done. I had only heard of Daft Punk by name before.

Now as for the plot... It felt pretty generic for what it was. It wasn't bad, but it didn't feel as though it was really trying to cater to the first film's fanbase. Ideas were skimped over or shied away from to obviously keep a more casual appeal to the entire thing. There was no real manifestations or analogies to modern technology on the grid, and the religious aspects of the Users were barely touched. The plot device of the ISOs could have been intriguing, but wasn't given enough time or attention to make it worthwhile. To really have had worked, it would have had to be a central plot element throughout and it simply wasn't. CLU didn't make for nearly as interesting of an antagonist as Sark or the MCP, and I never really understood why him getting out into the real world would have been so catastrophic.

I would have much rather seen the film take a few cues from Tron 2.0 instead. Having ENCOM under fire from a hostile takeover and a virus quickly spreading through the Grid. This could have solved a lot of the problems I had with the film... It would have given CLU a better reason for being even more evil, and given him true intent to get out into the real world to take over all systems, such as missile silos and carrier ships. It would have allowed Tron to have a more plausible battle with his infection. It would have allowed for obvious Grid-based parallels to modern technology, such as physical firewalls or even making Quorra an anti-virus program.

Despite my complaining, I liked the film. It was worth watching. They did a great job of updating the visuals without loosing their charm, but the story was obviously watered down so as to not scare off the typical movie-going crowd. Disney was already disappointed enough with the original film for alienating entire audiences... it's obvious they didn't want it to happen again.