Author Topic: Umm, Metroid rip-off?  (Read 11148 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Umm, Metroid rip-off?
« on: March 11, 2006, 08:51:20 AM »
The description says:

"The game features its main character Jenosa Arma a bounty hunter. 48 hours ago a distress signal was sent from a remote research lab studying a virulent organism identified as the “Scurge”. Scientists have been studying its remarkable metamorphic and energy abilities. Jenosa Arma has been commissioned by a black-ops cell from the government to investigate and salvage any research technology from within the facility. She is armed with top-secret projectile gauntlets and a prototype battle suit."

Unless I'm missing something, this is the raw epitome of a Metroid rip-off...

Or was this an April Fools joke which Gamestop took seriously?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
RE:Umm, Metroid rip-off?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 12:11:31 PM »
It's a real game as far as I can tell. It was originally created for the Game Boy Advance but since then, the publisher Orbital decided to make a version for the DS. IGN has reported on this awhile ago. Nintendo Power has both versions on their GameWatch forecast and there have even been two page adds for the game. I guess it's the long way of saying: it exists.

Personally, I've been waiting for information about the game because I've been kind of curious about it. But, there never seems to be any news about it, and I can hardly find any screens for it. Of course, I haven't searched for any for a long time because I'm not that interested in it. I just think it might have potential.

When I learned about the game, I thought it was a rip-off of Metroid as well. But the description I read made it seem a bit different compared to the description you just quoted. Maybe I'll look for the other description later but not right now.  
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Umm, Metroid rip-off?
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 12:14:50 PM »
Scurge is indeed real. Furthermore, Jon seemed to like it:

http://planetgamecube.com/impressionsArt.cfm?artid=3278
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 12:30:33 PM »
I noticed at the end of the article you posted, the game was supposed to come out in September. I know they decided to make a DS version but we've really never heard or seen anything about the game since then. As far as I know, there hasn't been a new release date since then either. That's the only reason why I wasn't fully sure about what had happened to this game.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 03:18:45 PM »
Gamestop.com changed their website.  Now I don't have to let the page load before I can navigate the system catagories, like before which on dial-up could be a while.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 04:17:28 PM »
well, as someone said the best form of a compliment is copying.  
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 05:23:03 PM »
Picasso said it best.

"Good artists borrow.  Great artists steal."
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 05:32:00 PM »
I was interested for some reason in the game before I even knew what it was about... strange but true the title alone sort of caught my attention.  I might give it try whenever it comes out.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 05:44:12 PM »
Metroid is an "Aliens" ripoff.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 06:04:49 PM »
Aside from the whole concept of the game, yes. It's also called "Alien", "Aliens" was the name of the second movie.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 06:08:28 PM »
An "Alien" or "Aliens" ripoff is a bit of a stretch.

Yes, the aliens were allegedly being bred in the hopes that they could be used as bioweapons, but the whole "Bounty hunter in a powered suit of armor with an arm cannon" bit is completely new.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 08:17:18 PM »
Even though it DID copy the "Hero merged with alien genes" idea from Alien: Ressurrection for Metroid Fusion...

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 08:28:06 PM »
The director of "Alien" is RIDLEY Scott. You don't think that's where they got the name for Samus' nemesis do you? And the timed escape sequences, those were ripped right out of "Alien." As is the whole idea of the Galactic Federation wanting the metroids to study for their uses as a weapon. It is obvious that "Alien" is Metroid's main influence. I would actually hope to see even more "Alien" stealing, as it's fantastic source material.  

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2006, 08:43:12 PM »
Timed escape sequences could have been taken from virtually anywhere, but I see your point with Ridley Scott.

Still, the powered suit of armor bit would have had to have come from the one scene where Weaver battles the alien queen with the loading mech. The bounty hunter part is anyone's guess.

EDIT: From the screenshots, the game seems to play like a 3/4s view Metroid.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2006, 10:18:15 PM »
How is this... a rip off? I don't see it. Unless Nintendo has trademarked 'bounty hunter'.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2006, 04:39:49 AM »
Rip-off doesn't necessarily mean trademark or copyright infringement.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2006, 05:56:36 AM »

Originally posted by: TrueNerd
The director of "Alien" is RIDLEY Scott. You don't think that's where they got the name for Samus' nemesis do you? And the timed escape sequences, those were ripped right out of "Alien." As is the whole idea of the Galactic Federation wanting the metroids to study for their uses as a weapon. It is obvious that "Alien" is Metroid's main influence. I would actually hope to see even more "Alien" stealing, as it's fantastic source material.

I think that by galactic federation you mean space pirates.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2006, 06:07:26 AM »
Not in Fusion.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2006, 08:14:30 AM »
Turrican is ther best Metroid copy cat and there hasnt beena  new turrican game for over a decade. Seriously Turrican makers, now is the BEST time to bring it back. Turrican on revolution would rock  
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2006, 09:02:21 AM »
Factor 5 is responsible for Turrican (they were also to blame for Giana Sisters and Katakis, two ripoffs that I played a lot as a kid) and their next three games are XCircle exclusive. If Lucas Arts lets them make another Turrican you will need an XC for it.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2006, 10:30:26 AM »
Eh? I thought Factor 5 was PS3 exclusive now?  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2006, 01:53:59 PM »
not even close, Factor Five only did Mega Turrican for Sega Genesis, EACH Turrican game was made and publsihed by different companies. Accolade, Data east, and Ballistic also made Turrican games among others.  

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2006, 03:43:54 PM »
http://www.factor5.com/history.shtml

Factor 5 made all the Turrican games. Those companies you mentioned are just some of the ones who published and distributed them.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2006, 04:59:56 PM »
There was also a Turrican cell phone game made by THQ recently and Factor five still could liscense the game to any company they chose as they have done in the past. I read the full history of Turrican on other websites and they only mentiond the console versions as made by factor 5, the original COmmodore versions were made by the original programmer and he liscensed the rights out. Anyway its irrelevent if they wanted to they could make Turrican for Rev, they had a Turrican game in the works for GC but it was cancelled.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2006, 08:29:31 PM »
Hm, after a bit of looking it seems like Manfred Trenz now has a company called Denaris Entertainment (Denaris was another name for his second game Katakis). They're working on the PC, GBA and DS. Hülsbeck, the composer for Turrican, is still with F5.

Factor five still could liscense the game to any company they chose as they have done in the past.

According to Wikipedia they made Thornado instead of Turrican because they no longer had the rights to the Turrican name. OTOH, the USPTO attributes Turrican to Factor 5 but lists first use for the trademark as 1996. That's some chaos. Perhaps Trenz has the copyright to most of the elements of the game.

IceCold: You're right. I don't own either system so I'm not very interested in who does what.